2003 Ford Focus

7.7

Based on 1931 Ratings for the 2000 - 2007 models.

Best car I've EVER owned by far!!!

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "GREAT VALUE fun 2 drive low maintenance dependable"

Cons: "Folding Back Seats Flat is Difficult"

"I've owned Mustangs, Volkswagens, Camaro, Cadillac, Dodge truck & car, Chrysler Minivan, Subaru Forester, Saturn and Buick Regal. I've repeatedly driven a Ford Taurus belonging to my mother. I've driven multiple other vehicles, too. THE 2004 FORD FOCUS I OWN....I purchased in 2007 and until I was involved in an accident on 7/1/2014, that totaled my Focus, it had YET to require ANY repairs!!! NO OIL OR TRANSMISSION LEAKS OR PROBLEMS!!! EVERY TIME I HAD OIL CHANGED OR FLUIDS TOPPED, BOTH OIL AND TRANSMISSION FLUIDS (AND WATER, BRAKE, POWER STEERING...ALL) WERE AT APPROPRIATE LEVELS!!! FOCUS is fun and easy to drive, hugs the road extremely well and gets FANTASTIC gas mileage!!!"

Great economy car

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage and comfort"

Cons: "Size if your looking for a car for a family."

"Even though it is an economy car drives and runs like a mid size. I get the best gas mileage from this car than any mid sized or v6 I ever drove. If you have a long commute to and from work this is a car for you. Not as comfortable as a mid sized or SUV but comfortable enough that traveling isn't miserable"

best i ever owned i am a big guy easy in and out

By on Friday, July 11, 2014

Pros: "fits big man or woman"

Cons: "don't have any"

"never any problems"

Great little car minus transmission.

By on Friday, July 11, 2014

Pros: "Safe, dependable, good gas mileage, great AC"

Cons: "Transmission went one month after warranty, noisy"

"We have enjoyed the car, Gas mileage is a little less than advertised. We get about 30 highway and 25 around town. The transmission went one month after warranty. Even though we had less miles than the warranty, Ford would not cover a penny of the charge. Car is nosier than most. Otherwise, everything else has been virtually maintenance free."

Good

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "dependable, easy to maintain"

Cons: "road noise, gas milage compared to similer models"

"Car has a lot of road noise and is not as good on gas as comparible model, but, is vary dependable and easily maintained. Would recommend this as a great starter car or everyday car for work or school."

This has been a "no problems" car

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

"This 2006 model has not given me any mechanical problems. Lightly driven and well-maintained this vehicle is a great get-around town car. It handles well on the freeways as well as surface stop and go. I like the back seat feature that folds down for larger purchases or lots of luggage."

Has been a very reliable commuter car.

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

Pros: "Handles well in traffic and is economical."

Cons: "developed squeaks and rattles."

"The only issue I have had was with the electric interlock in the transmission. There were several times that the transmission would not shift out of park. Ford looked at it and said that it should not be doing what it was doing. The problem went away several years ago and I have had reliable service with regular maintenance and checkups."

A surprisingly dependable vehicle from Ford.

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Pros: "The LX has a sporty feel on curvy, winding roads."

Cons: "Upgrade the radio and you'll be styling!"

San Francisco

"The 2001 Ford Focus LX Sedan with the split port 2 liter engine and automatic transmission is a surprisingly dependable vehicle. The LX has a sporty feel on curvy, winding roads. It rides like its on rails. With a more powerful engine or maybe some creative modifications to the existing power plant it could make for a fun tuner car. I bought the car, last February 2013, with 125,000 miles on it. Since then in a years time I have put an additional 29,000 miles on the vehicle. Amazingly the car has given me no major mechanical problems. Aside from the regular maintenance like replacing belts, tune ups and oil changes the 2001 Ford Focus LX has been very reliable. I have taken the car on trips to the high sierras and 2 trips to San Francisco. I don't drive the car hard but it is a great freeway flyer. GOOD JOB FORD!"

San Francisco

This has been a great car

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, good mileage"

Cons: "cheap center armrest/console"

"I have always owned foreign makes like Nissan or Mazda, but I have to say that this car has been just as reliable. This car is 9 years old now, and I have had almost zero problems, and it is still a blast to drive. It handles great, gets good mileage and has been a great, reliable vehicle."

Love this car!

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "only 1 intermittent wiper setting"

"I love this car and drive it like a sports car. It is fun to drive and handles really well. Even though the car is 13 years old, it still can get 30 miles/gallon highway. With a mixture of city/highway driving, I average about 25 - 27 miles a gallon so it is reasonably economical. I like the boxiness of the car as it provides headroom for a tall person whose height is not in their legs, but in the torso. It also makes it easier to climb in and out of the back seat. Other than routine mainetenance like oil changes or radiator flushes, the car has not required many repairs during its lifetime. This car is "Everyman's" sports car with features like a bigger engine, and wider/thinner tires, but without the price tag and higher insurance and gas costs. Ford no longer makes this version and the current SVT costs about twice what I paid for this one. After I bought the car I found out the brakes tend to wear out quicker than on other cars, but I have not had to replace them that often for the miles I put on it. There are several things I would change. 1) the intermittent wipers: There is only 1 intermittent setting at 8 second intervals it is sometimes too far apart. 2) the back seat windows do not open: The front seats having a high back and the back windows not opening make it difficult for me to ride in the back seat since I feel somewhat claustrophobic when I do. 3) the plastic headlamp covers: as all plastics do, they dull and yellow over time making the headlamps less efficient. Luckily someone recently came up with a cleaner to help restore them. These items are why I rated the design an 8."

LOVE THIS VEHICLE - WISH THEY STILL MADE THEM

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "peppy, great turning radius, hauls everything"

Cons: "seats get cramped sitting 8+ hours"

"Great vehicle for getting around and carrying 'stuff' I've had a 6 ft couch inside and was able to carry a front seat passenger and shut the hatch. Took it on an extended road trip - after days, the seats could have been a little more comfortable. Has lots of pep and a superb turning radius. Can't say enough nice things about it. Selling 'cause it has reached 70,000 miles and I travel long distances alone - not that it's ever let me down."

Great Car!!!

By on Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, Roomy, Reliable"

Cons: "Interior could be more plush, more cup holders"

"This car is great! It starts every time and gets fantastic gas mileage. So sporty and roomy at the same time. I had a blazer before this car. I thought that I would miss the storage capability of a truck. The Ford Focus Wagon gave me all the storage I needed. Wow, what a car! I would definitely buy another one when I sell this one."

Best Car I ever have had

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, no problems, only 82000 miles"

Cons: "Rear bumber, coating is coming off, but not bad."

"Runs perfect, only 82000 mile. Driven only about 5 miles a week day. Good condition."

great car even got one for my daughter

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

"great car for the money good pep reliable affordable only complaint is the wear of brakes but that seems to be a ford issue in general. This is the third focus i have purchased and would not hesitate to purchase another."

Best Car Ever!!

By on Monday, June 09, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, Low maintence costs, Great price"

Cons: "style, not a smooth ride, very little room"

"This was my first car that i purchased, I was in my sophomore year in college and I needed to start commuting. I purchased this car with 7 miles on it and now have a little over 147,000! I drove to alaska and back in this car, the only thing I have had to do with it maintenance wise is change the oils, brake pads, tires the usual wear and tear on most cars. I had a little problem with the alternator the first year, but it was replaced under the warrantee. All in all, one of the most reliable cars, Snow, rain or shine, this car has always been there for me! I never have to worry if its going to start on those cold New England mornings. This car is not much in the style department but for the quality and the longevity that I have gotten out of this car and the reliability it is most definitely worth it! i think (knock on wood) that I will still be driving this car for at least another 100,000 miles!!!"

I bought this car new. She has been very reliable

By on Friday, June 06, 2014

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, reliable"

"gives a good ride, love to drive this car. Have enjoyed this car very much. I have mechanical repair paperwork. Great as a first car or family second car."

Very good car.

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

"I didn't really drive this car on the highway too much. I purchased it used in 2010. I kept it maintained very cheaply. Just had a flat tire once in a while. Highly recommend for reasonable price and transportation for soccer moms. It's not the most comfortable seating, but it's all I needed to get around town."

Been a very good car. Minimal repairs

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Pros: "fairly comfortable, good economy, fun to drive,"

Cons: "road noise,"

"This is our 2nd generation one ZX3 Focus. First one was 'tee boned' at 85000 miles. I did buy back the salvage. With the insurance money we bought an 2002 ZX3 with 94000 miles. Now has 187000 miles. The needed repairs (other than spark plugs, oil changes, brakes and tires) are; Clutch master cylinder, alternator, timing belt and water pump. Still runs well and still fun to drive. It's also simple without all those modern dashboard screens, knobs, buttons that distract me."

Great pick up for passing/ Great on gas mileage/

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "great get up & go / great on gas/ fun to drive"

Cons: "to low to ground"

"This is a perfect auto for a college person to get around in . I'm only looking to get another vehicle because I'm up in age & it's getting difficult for me to get in & out of . I love the car it's been a reliable one It's paid for so I might just keep it to fall back on in future ."

great car

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pros: "gas saver,"

"this car has been taken care of, and at 190,000 miles it runs great. i love this car mostly traveled in it thats why the mileage is hig but its still better than a stratus. smooth car"

Best car I've owned, and I have had many

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pros: "economical, manual tran is fun to drive, reliable"

Cons: "no legroom in back, lots of plastic in the LX"

"To be fair, I am a Ford aficionado. I own several, including a classic Mustang. This is my second Focus. My first was a 2000 LX which I bought too young and foolishly and was repo'd. Shameful! But as an adult, I now have a 2001 ZTS. I gave it an 8 in design because the 00' LX was pretty cheaply made. The 01' ZTS is two steps above the LX and it would get a 10. If you have the option, go for the ZTS...the ZTEC is worth a few extra bucks. Also, the automatics trans are terribly expensive to replace. Get the manual if you can drive one. The power a manual gives to this car is noticeable when merging onto freeways. They're tiny, lightweight little guys so the more oomph you can get, the better. The design of the Focus, first appearing in the US in 2000 was innovative, to say the least. Even after 14 years, the original design is unique and stylish. I have a 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T and 97 Wolfsburg Passat VR6 in addition to this car and so I can tell you the difference in the cost of maintenance. My Focus had the ignition seize once (a seemingly common problem). The part was $60 and I replaced it myself. My VW's are not so friendly to my wallet. Other than that, I have had only standard maintenance on my Focus. I maintain my vehicles for longevity (64.5 Mustang still runs like a champ). The ZTS comes with all the extras: power everything, leather, etc. Mine is in "excellent" condition and I drive it daily. Love this car and if you can find one that has been adored in the way I adore mine, you can't go wrong. I still get 30+ mpgs on the freeway."

12 Years and Still Going.

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Great on gas, super reliable, fun to drive"

Cons: "rocker panels will rust eventually"

"The 2003 Focus is, in my mind, one of the best deals of the decade (and beyond.) The car we own has 134,000 miles and the engine and transmission seem to be in excellent condition. The car has required little to no repair, other than routine maintenance. That little 4 cyl. engine just goes and goes. Even at its age, the car started right up on the bitter cold, minus 30 mornings we have here in Vermont. After 12 Vermont winters, the rocker panels are giving out, and we are going to have to decide if we are going to repair them. It's hard not to do it, when the car is still running so strong. This little hatchback deserves a 10 in my book. There's not much to complain about. The salt on these New England roads has eaten many a great vehicle with fewer miles and years on it."

reliable and gets good mpg s

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Pros: "MPG S"

"CAR RUNS STRONG AND GETS GOOD MPG S"

Has been a great car for commutes up north

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

"Can not understand why Ford dropped station wagon option from Focus offerings. Provided good gas mileage with plenty of space for belongings. Have seen these same wagons all over in Europe. Have interested people stop and ask about the wagon option (not knowing that Ford even offered Focus wagons at one time -- but not anymore)."

Great Value, gas milage, ride and handeling.

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Pros: "Price yes drive yes (we named ours Zippy)"

Cons: "See comments to ....engineers."

"The Focus was a step up from the Escort in style, size and comfort. the engineering not so much. Motor mounts a fail, thermostat housing a double fail, engine cooling system sketchy. Engine and transmission very good; survived two male teenage drivers! Would I buy another yes, would I buy the 2014 very tempting...What could be better? Have the engineer who designed the motor mounts and/or thermostat housing put his home phone number (or cell) on the part. I would have been glad to ask "Just what were you thinking...?""

See if you qualify for