2001 Ford Focus

7.8

Based on 1999 Ratings for the 2000 - 2007 models.

Good value for the price

By on Monday, January 14, 2008

"Great car, is great in Snow and Rain. Is a little rough on the brakes and tires though under normal conditions. Had a small bubblein the paint but Ford took care of this. Would be nice to have a little more room in the back seat for leg room. I am tall and I fit in the car very well. Would buy another one, unless I had the money for the Fussion. Both very good cars. Better than the import junk that I purchased a couple of years ago."

Great car

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

"Have put over 90,000 miles on it since purchasing it. Rides and handles well. No issues other than AC compressor failure."

This is a great car to drive.

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Pros: "The car was economical when driving."

"This was one of the best cars I have ever purchase. I was disappointed when the dealer told me Ford stopped making it.Gasoline mileage was very good and I was very comfortable driving it on the highway. I loved the fact that the seats fold down for carrying large items. I will keep it until it becomes too expensive to repair."

good dependable car

By on Thursday, November 22, 2012

Reason: new car

Pros: "simple gas saver"

Cons: "6 disc cd went out"

"I brought this car in 2006 when it was just 3 yrs old with 42,000 miles it was still in good condition when I traded it in 2012. my Focus started everyday for 6 years. even with the gas prices high i was able 2 fill it up for less than $40 dollars"

2003 ford focus SE

By on Sunday, August 17, 2014

Cons: "small back seat, little leg room in back"

"Overall a good car. Had trouble with alternator and battery at 48,000 miles and it sat for a little while. it has 52,000 miles on it now. no rebuilt title. I am the second owner, Elderly woman bought in 2003 brand new, she passed away and her niece received it and then sold it to me in 2011 and I've had it ever since. it is my daily driver, only drive 40 miles a day, gets good gas mileage. handles well."

Ran it to DEATH

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "No oil burn like sooo many other cars."

Cons: "ignition coil failed twice. cheap replacement part"

"$16,000.00 loaded car in 2002. 200+ thousand miles. Typical wear and tear troubles. Original shocks and struts lasted 120,000 miles. NEVER used / burned oil...to this day. Transmission still going with only semi-annual filter and fluid changes. Buy GOOD tires and GOOD spark plugs, no worries."

400K by 2014!! I.m a courier. I LOVE This car.

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pros: "Prefect for any shipping needs, maneuvers in city!"

Cons: "Air bag light always on, can't change air filter."

"I got it new in Jan 2007. I love this car! My boyfriend is a mechanic, we have maintained it well: full syn oil, good tires, new air box housing, etc. I been running for a courier service for 3.5yrs. I average 90000 annually. I can Fit Almost Any size box in my car. I've had up to 800lbs of dialysis fluid packed in. I have slept, Lots of Nights, in the back cargo area. Dislikes. The air bag light has been on the majority of the time. The air box housing. You can NOT change the air filter! I just replaced the air box with a Changeable Air Filter housing. Now the engine can breath, it's more zippy! It was well worth it. Soon I'll be needing a new car. I average over 7000miles that's +$700 in gas a month! I need to cut my fuel bill. I'm considering a hybrid. Sad to said it, I might buy a foreign car next. I still plan on owning it for a few more years, just not as a work vehicle."

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"I bought the 2002 Ford Focus ZX3 used with 98,000 and it was great!! Never had any problems. A full gas tank lasted me a week and some change. Got in a 4 car pile-up on the interstate and not a scratch on me...the car held up pretty well...but had to be totaled ...great car though!!!"

Excellent basic transportation

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "It is a kick to drive! Snappy."

Cons: "Front seats are un-comfortable but I fixed that!"

"I have owned and driven the Focus for 8 years, and have had no problems! I live in the country and have gravel roads to contend with. Heavy snow in the winter and mud in the spring. Not much of a problem since buying good ground grip tires. The back seat folds forward to allow a lot of different types of cargo to be loaded through the trunk and rear doors. That was the main selling point for me. I have hauled 40 steel fence posts, three spools of barbed wire and enough groceries for a week. The heaviest load was 750 pounds of frozen hamburger. I could barely shift the transmission, and had to turn the heater up all the way. The best mileage was 39.8 on a long high way trip, but most of my driving is to town and back, so MPG is usually 35.."

295,000 miles...what more do I need to say?

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "reliable, low maintenance, sporty feel, value"

Cons: "no longer available in the US"

"The cargo space is fantastic, I can fit more in this than most vehicles that have specifications of larger volume. This one has carried music gear, kids, just about everything. An economical commuter (I average 29mpg) that feels like it has more power than it does. At 295,000 miles drives like new, doesn't burn oil, still economical and passes smog test like a champ. It handles really well for being a wagon. I do most of the maintenance myself as it is easy to work on, and leave the more complex jobs to the dealer. Unfortunate that the wagon is no longer available in the US. Although styles have changed over the years (and it is a wagon), I still get compliments on how it looks. Thank you Ford!"

Great vehicle!

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pros: "great price; extremely reliable; fun to drive"

Cons: "interior is cheaply made with noisy plastic parts"

"My wife and I have been driving an '05 Ford Focus since May 2007, when we bought it used with a little over 30,000 miles. We have never had any trouble with the car. We are now at over 122,000 miles (that's an average of over 16,700 miles/year). Just last week my wife drove it from Atlanta, GA to Miami, FL with no incident. We will be driving back to Atlanta this weekend. We expect continued superior performance from our Focus. Our only problem has been with the Cd player which stopped working soon after we purchased the car. Other than that, the Focus is a great car with great gas mileage and superior performance. We are currently looking at purchasing another as a second car."

Such a reliable and low maintenance car!

By on Friday, August 31, 2012

"I've had this car now for around 4 years. I bought it from a private seller who kept every reciept down to oil changes, light bulb changes, etc. He kept immaculate care of the car. Since I've owned it, I swear all I've done is changed the air filter (cheap), the battery, gotten oil changes, and replaced the tires. I mean, for a car I payed cash for, it is the BEST money I've ever spent. It's not the most luxurious car in the world,it's not too comfortable on those long drives, but to me, reliability supercedes all of those things. I'm 24, single, with 2 large(er) dogs so the wagon is super for my lifestyle. I highly recommend this car."

affordability

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "gas mileage, handling, low cost maintenance"

Cons: "no cruise control"

"My 20yr old daughter has been driving this car for the past few years back and forth from our home in the Southern tier of NY state to college in NYC. It is a 6 hour drive one way. She always talks about how easy it is to maneuver in the city traffic and how cheap it is on gas. She has packed a dorm full of "stuff" several times and still got decent gas mileage. She doesn't like the fact that there is no cruise control but still doesn't want to give it up. My husband likes that it is relatively cheap to repair and maintain. Not really too great in the snow but she drove home in a blizzard and had no accident. She drove slowly and appropriately for the road conditions though."

I Love this car, best car I have owned yet.

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, cute, sporty little car."

Cons: "Not good to haul a boat or travel trailer."

"I don't put many miles on my car in a year, but this car is a champ. Excellent on gas and great for getting around in busy traffic and easy to park. I have the bright yellow model, and I never lose my car in the parking lot at the mall anymore! Good on the highway and great space to haul groceries, pets, or even patio furniture! I am thinking of selling it instead of trading when I buy a different car, but I will miss my little yellow beauty! I would definitely consider purchasing another Ford Focus. Value and Reliability."

LOTS of fun and cheap

By on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pros: "Great to drive, nice sounds system"

Cons: "wish had a little more snap in the engine"

"This was the first car I bought from a dealership and love it! I've had no major issues. The most expensiveness repairs have been new tiers. Great handling and wonderful for zipping around the city or a road trip. Highly recommended."

Best car I've ever had

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "low maintenance, huge hatch back, totally reliable"

Cons: "no air conditioning"

"I bought my Focus off a Ford lot, new, floor model. It had no air conditioning and roll up windows, but I didn't care. The price was great and I heard the car was too. I did not have to go to a shop for NINE YEARS because nothing ever went wrong with it. I maintained it well, on schedule, etc. Then, only minor things. Recently I had to put a new clutch in and it needs new brakes, but that's it! It gets great gas milage, turns on a dime, has great power for such a small car and a ton of storage room with the back seats down. Seriously. I fit huge furniture in there and things that people thought I could never get in there....This car has been awesome. I hope the new focuses are as reliable. I am buying a new car cuz I need air conditioning at this point. LOVE THE 2003 FORD FOCUS!"

13 years and runs purrfect!

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pros: "handles and hugs the road great!"

Cons: "ERG valve/O2 sensor needs constant care- handlable"

"Bought this car out of the showroom. I've never ever owned a vehicle that has brought me to 13, yes, Thirteen!, years. With simple general maintenance and upkeep it's never left me stranded anywhere and starts every single morning. I lucked out with this decision, and retrospectively I couldn't be happier. We're plugging away at just over 150K miles and still ticking like a clock. The epitome of "If you treat it well, it treats you well". I just hope when the time comes that when I need another car, a newer Focuses will sustain time like this one has."

I love my 2002 Ford Focus- UPKEEP IMPORTANT

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "great price, affordable maintenance, easy drive"

Cons: "Paint scratches easy, lack of space"

"I got my car back in 2007 when I graduated high school. I wanted a car that is easy/inexpensive to fix, affordable on gas, and reliable. When I purchased this car, the dealer told me all I need to do is keep up with oil changes and maintenance and it will run like a gem- Probably the best advice! This car has been reliable and I have noticed a lot of perks! 1. It is easy to drive 2. Good vision 3. Affordable to service 4. Spacious trunk 5. Easy to clean 6. It's really easy to get used parts for it (such as a door mirror- had to have replaced before) 7. Break-in lock system (shuts off whole system when car locks) except for cigarette lighter/charging port 8. You absolutely cannot break into the car without breaking the window or wedging the door and unlocking it somehow (so always have a spare key- Jimmy sticks don't work) 9. I can charge my phone in my car after turning it off There are a few things that I don't like about this car as well: 1. Paint scratches EASILY 2. Back seat doors don't open very wide 3. Back seats don't have very much leg room 4. Glove compartment does not have a lock on it (I have my GPS and have never had any issues but I would still like this feature) 5. A lot of the features are made with plastic (armrest compartment latch is flimsy- mine has broken) Overall this car is a great college/after high school car and the Pro's totally outweigh the con's of my awesome car! P.S. If you find a video on youtube on a repair, you could either do it yourself or bargain with a auto-repair shop because you will know how long it will take and what it will cost, etc."

good quality

By on Friday, September 21, 2012

"We bought this car 2002 August 4th.my husband and me traveled with it a lot.He once delivered pizza with it for 2 years. We traveled new york twice,ohio,Iowa, and Dallas,Denver... alot of citys.In 10 years it only shut down 2 times. not very serious problems. Our milage made warranty finished early.(1.5 year).so we self payed to repair it. but not very expencive.I love my little focus.I never worried about gas price raised.It doesn't use a lot of gas.I am still driveing it.But I am getting 3rd kid, so I have to change my car soon. That is why I write this review for my little car.It is worth my good words."

very reliable

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "good gas mileage"

Cons: "no power windows"

"I got this car used when I was sixteen from my parents and now that it has hit its 150000 mile mark, I can safely say it has never let me down. I gets good gas mileage and its super comfortable. Very easy maintenance if you need it and perfect for long daily drives!"

very good vehicle. Poor Dealership

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"leg room minimal otherwise comfortable for tall (6.3 ft.) young adult child. One recall honored with few repairs needed, holds the road well, easy and inexpensive to maintain. Very happy with performance not so with cosmetics. Within a year rust shows on the under carriage even with the Rusty Jones treatment and console between front bucket seats broken. Difficulty wiith dealership to remedy problems appropriately."

Great to drive

By on Thursday, January 17, 2008

"I get ~37 MPG hwy with this little 5 spd. It handles great. I plowed through the snow so far this winter, and it is peppy off the line. I miss the convenience of my 4 door Taurus, but I love the economy I have gotten from this little car."

Solid Commuter Vehicle

By on Saturday, September 01, 2007

"this is the third Ford Focus owned. All three have been extremely depending and offer comfort, great handling, and good gas mileage around town. I do a great deal of commuting and in-town travel and this car is very well-suited. If reliability and value are what you're after...this is the one."

Has been and still is an excellent auto!

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "Great car...not for sale!"

Cons: "Maybe could use a tilt wheel."

"Focus, which I bought new, has been a great car! Almost 200M and still doesn't use oil. I have been very religous about oil and filter changes. Have had a few minor issues...fuel pump; motor mounts; electric windows on 2 rear doors gave me problems. A/C still will freeze you out. Usually get 40-50M out of front disc brakes. Never any transmission issues (but I serviced it on time!). No car is ever trouble-free, including this one...but it's over 13 years old and still going strong! (you're right, I'm a Ford person!)"

great car even got one for my daughter

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

"great car for the money good pep reliable affordable only complaint is the wear of brakes but that seems to be a ford issue in general. This is the third focus i have purchased and would not hesitate to purchase another."