2014 Ford Focus ST Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $23,034 - $23,621.

7.3

Based on 349 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

7.4/10
    7.4/10
    7.5/10
    7.5/10

Sporty car with great manual transmission

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pros: "quick, great transmission, flat handling"

Cons: "loud road noise, would like more torque"

"Bought this car as a commuter primarily but also to carry my family of 5 occasionally. Sport model for a nicer interior and rear disc brakes to go along with the 5spd manual for occasional autocross races. Very nice fit/finish but road noise is high and interferes with the bluetooth speakerphone. Driving dynamics are very good with a couple of exceptions - engine has very little torque at low rpm and seems to have a heavy flywheel which makes gearchanges a little weird. On the plus side high end horsepower is good and the transmission is great. In all an enjoyable car with good (34mpg) mileage that can be flexible when you need it to be."

great car, no problems, love added features

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, luxury as well as utility."

Cons: "Difficult for older person to enter and exit."

"One of the best vehicles I've owned, first-time Ford, loved all the added features. Great Navigation and high tech. Only problem was for me, the car was difficult to enter/exit; it would be most suited to a younger more able individual."

Great car sporty and cool

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "great price for a sporty well built car"

Cons: "no satellite radio on my model, and manual seats"

"the car is great, I just bought it new with the ruby red color upgrade, I love it. only downside is that it has manual adjusting seats and no satellite radio."

Good car - Bad engineering

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Nice car - Could have been world-class."

Cons: "Double-clutch tranny."

"The automatic transmission in this car is an abomination and constantly have to be re-flashed. 3x in one year. And FORD has no recall. Shakes, shutters, hesitates, parking lot speeds truly befuddle the shifting patterns. And speed bumps - well they lend something else to the bad transmission. I've had cars with Double clutch and adaptive transmissions - And they don't shift like this. FORD folks say it drives like a manual - NOT! I would never had bought the car w'an Auto had I know this was an epic , continuing issue."

Looks sharp - but no substance

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Sharp looking car, and comfort"

Cons: "Cheap materials used, Nav not dependable, wiring"

"This car doesn't hold up under time. Keys aren't supposed to be able to be locked inside with Keyfob, but they do. The lack of quality in the materials used (steering wheel has a tin like material which is peeling), the Nav screen is sharp, unfortunately the Nav works about 25% of the time. In snow with the low profile build the car easily gets stuck in 3 inches or slushy roads. Can't get up a slushy road if there is any rise in grade. Terrible. Rear decking disintegrated within 6 months of ownership, replaced twice. I live in Mass, not Arizona with hot blistering sun. When dealership went to install a door key lock pad the car "wouldn't allow the system" to be overridden. Car is comfortable, but in this day and age so what. All the extra's you pay for and don't get is frustrating."

Fun car, let down by electronic issues

By on Friday, November 28, 2014

Pros: "Fast, fun and good looking. Free racing school."

Cons: "Electronic problems and poor turning radius."

"This car is a blast to drive. It will keep up with high performance cars costing much more. It looks great, inside and out. My Ford Touch is, as always, a nightmare. It's hard to use and is unpredictable. The 911 assist on my car has failed several times, resulting in three unsuccessful repair attempts under warranty. The turning radius is shockingly poor and if you opt for the Recaro seats, understand that they don't fit all body types. Other than this, the car is great. It drives amazingly well and returns good fuel economy if you go easy on the throttle. If I can sort out the issues with this car, I will keep it for many years. If you get one, be sure to look into ST Octane Academy. It's free if you purchase the car new and is an amazing experience. I don't know what they spend putting the school on, but I would value it at a thousand dollars or more. It's that good."

Love my Focus ST

By on Monday, November 24, 2014

Pros: "Performance/handling, reliability, comfort, size"

Cons: "Mileage could be a bit better"

"For me, it's a perfect car. Just the right size, pretty decent gas mileage, low maintenance, responsive, comfortable, well behaved in city driving, a fire breather on the open road. I get lots of compliments on the Recaro seats, and all the convenience items are well-conceived and functional. I'm 50-plus, so I like that it has a bit of an edge but doesn't make me look like I"m trying to be 25. Well done, Ford@"

FOCUS BABY, FOCUS!

By on Monday, November 24, 2014

Pros: "Super fun to drive and very dependable."

Cons: "Not a lot of interior storage space."

"This is my 3rd Focus. My 2012 is my favorite SO FAR. It is very comfortable to drive, gets decent gas mileage and has nice looking interior/dash. I drive approximately 50 miles round trip weekdays to work and a tank will last me through the week with alittle left over. It is a solid car. I don't hear a lot of road noise when I drive. It has some giddy up too. For a 4 cyl. it can get up and go if needed. I've even churped the tires before. I've had it 2-1/2 years now. There is no sign of rust so far. My only complaint is there isn't a lot of storage space for your "stuff". It has been dealer maintained and other than oil changes and a couple normal wear and tear items it's been trouble free. I would hightly recommend the 2012 Ford Focus to anyone. It's very dependable and fun to drive, plus it's a nice looking car."

Not for a family with a young child

By on Sunday, November 23, 2014

Pros: "ok with the mpg"

Cons: "read review"

"Would dump this car onto a non friend the back seat is not wide enough to buckle the child up with a car seat without problems ...the car is jerky have the Moon roof and the noise from the interior drowns out the music makes the sane person crazy decent mpg but i am not sure if its the best"

experience

By on Thursday, November 20, 2014

Pros: "good young adult car but not for a family"

Cons: "drive in rain feels like hydroplaining"

"This car is not built to have anyone over 5'9'' in it, I fit fine and enjoy the car myself but taller people in it are not something I would recommend to someone of that height when we first bought it I did not notice that due to I being the one buying it but going on a trip and someone else driving isn't going to work well if taller. economy wise I like on interstate miles however in town I thought it would be better on mpg but just drive 5 minutes to and from school half on interstate and half in town and I only get average of 18 mpg compared to what they say you get."

not impressed with vehicle

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pros: "good gas mileage"

Cons: "poor fabric on seats transmission problems"

"had to have transmission parts replaced twice under warranty and also right front axle replaced"

Need a time machine

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "flat dry surface handling"

Cons: "no storage,control & cupholder placement"

"So that I can turn back the clock and not buy this car. Poor placement of controls behind steering wheel so they're not visible without doing contortions requiring taking your eyes off the road. Console designed so that you have to reach over them to use the climate controls, shift, or set the ebrake. No storage, folding the back seats down flat takes 10 minutes. The hard cover for the cargo area is stored in my barn, it just gets in the way, should be a retractable. Traction control causes car to hesitate when accelerating from a stop, feels like it stalls, on the slightest wet road so I have to disable it whenever it rains or snows. Kind of defeats the purpose. On the plus side on flat dry roads the car handles well. Unfortunately this is Oregon, neither of those are in abundance here. I'll trade this as soon as the $6K loss, paid $22k six weeks ago - KBB now $16k, is covered."

Best Ford I've ever owned.

By on Saturday, November 15, 2014

"Best wishes"

GOOD CARS FLAWS IN TRANNY FORD NEEDS TO FIX

By on Friday, November 14, 2014

Pros: "stylish fun to drive fuel efficient"

Cons: "transmission awful"

"Fun and stylish car if you can look past transmission. It's horrible to say the least. Feels like car wants to stall when you move from stoplights."

Annoying Transmission

By on Friday, November 14, 2014

Pros: "Tight handling, good 4 cyl power, great gas miles"

Cons: "Transmission noises, jerky under 20 mph"

"This car would have been a 9 out of 10 for the money but the transmission ruins the car for local driving. The automatic transmission is actually a semi automatic transmission so it sometimes shifts unsmoothly but only if you going under 20 mph. I have had this car for 1 year and 3 months and bought it brand new. The transmission makes rattle noises from the day I got it which Ford says is normal. I learned to accept that. The jerky shifting happens once in a while which is the most annoying. Once you are past 20 mph though it shifts really smooth. On the highway it's a fun car smooth ride. As annoying as the transmission feels part of me thinks it won't break. That is just the design they did to make it more gas efficient it seems. It handles really well and has nice power for a 4 cylinder. I give it a 10 for that. If I bought it used it wouldn't annoy me but a new car that makes noise and shifts awkward made me feel ripped off. I tell everyone I know to NEVER buy a Ford. If they are irresponsible on making a quiet smooth shifting transmission then there is plenty more they probably are screwing up on. Only buy this if you get a really good deal and am OK with the transmission sometimes shifting jerky under 20 mph speeds. If you do a lot of highway driving it won't annoy you as much. Note all my ratings would have been 9 or 10 but the transmission made me rate them lower."

great car for great value

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

Pros: "great mileage close to 37 on highways."

Cons: "less power"

"I bought Focus titanium car last year for my wife and both my wife and I absolutely love this car. The only thing I miss while drive this car is the power which is to be expected from any car of this segment. It really saves a tons of money on gas. I used to fill 13 gallon earlier at once and now I fill only 10 gallon every week for travelling the same distance. This is a big difference. Absolutely love the sound system with woofer and the navigation with voice control with a big screen. The inside of the car gives a rich n luxurious feel."

Convenient & Reliable

By on Monday, November 10, 2014

Pros: "SYNC, fold-able rear seat, sleek design"

Cons: "Lack of power to quickly accelerate"

"While purchasing any car early in its production i.e. 2012 model purchased 4/2011 is inadvisable, this vehicle has had no surprises and fits my needs after 3+ years. New tires are affordable and the only part I have needed to replace thus far. Soon will need replacement break-pads but otherwise functions with original equipment. SYNC and other conveniences give the feel that this vehicle was made by average working Americans for average working Americans. Currently appreciating the 35+ mpg and ease of maintenance. Although the amount of horse power leaves something to be desired in certain traffic conditions, the inclusion of hill assist in the gear shift and resulting fuel economy are a fair trade-off. As a custom seeking techie, this car makes me feel at home on the road and offers all of the convenience I would innately include in a vehicle of my own personal design."

great pocket rocket

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive great mileage"

Cons: "not alot of storage room rear seats dont fold flat"

"I had to downsize from full size truck to gas saver as I do alot of commuting daily so this car is fast and lots of torque for a 4 cylinder great gas mileage average is 30 + MPG great looking and ruby red color is eyecatching."

Good basic vehicle

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "Great on gas mileage"

Cons: "Small and uncomfortable"

"It has a small cab and feels like you are crammed into the car. The MP3 jack is put in a horrible place where crums and anything that spills goes right into the hole. The seats in the front and back are not comfortable even for short trips."

1 oil change @3000 mi would like a SUV

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "tight and clean"

Cons: "washes weekley and quick detailed by mquires"

"new care 6000 miles 1 oil change premium service for 60 mo and 72000 mile. transfurable"

A great car, but I've had some issues...

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, good gas mileage, comfortable with 4"

Cons: "Can be unreliable, small cup holders, no loaner"

"I purchased my 2014 Focus ST ST3 new here in Denver a year ago as of this review. The car is comfortable, extremely fun to drive, and if I stay around 75-80MPH on my commute I can get the advertised 32mpg or more. I have heard complaints about the myfordtouch, but it works well for me, I use it with an iPhone 5. That isn't to say it hasn't had a few problems that required me to take it to the dealer for non-scheduled service. The first week I bought it, the fog light cracked with 500 miles on it, and the sound symposer needed to be replaced. (It's essentially an electronically controlled flap that opens when heavy throttle is applied to let more engine noise into the cabin). These repairs correlated with one of Colorado's colder weeks, with temperatures dipping as cold as -10, so it could possibly be related to the weather. Next, about 6 months in, the paint cracked and started peeling on the rear bumper. I wash my car by hand every one or two weeks, and it has never seen a touch carwash, so I feel that this was a defect from the factory. This issue was subsequently covered under warranty, but it took 8 days to repair and I was not provided with a rental car. After getting the car back and using it for a few more weeks, I stopped at a stop sign on a rural highway, only to have the front grille literally fall off, I pulled forward and then ran it over, the only reason I know it fell off is because I got out and looked after my car hit a bump and made cracking noises. I took it to the dealer again, and the said that my car was missing 4/6 mounting tabs. The dealer replaced the tabs, but I was stuck paying for a new lower grille at $74.00 after government employee discount. The car has also been temperamental about the brake fluid. There's a few times I have pulled into the garage, and had the car smell like I'd been doing heavy braking, and the rotors and pads have registered about 220 degrees. My commute is 32 miles of 65-75mph speed limit highway driving with minimal braking, so it was a bit abnormal to see and smell the brakes like this. Turns out my brake fluid sensor had gone bad, causing the brake system and "torque vectoring control" as Ford calls it (this system uses the brakes to make the front differential work like an anti-slip) to malfunction. I was also getting "Low brake fluid, service immediately" messages popping up with a chime about once ever 3-4 minutes. The brake fluid was at the proper level the entire time, as verified by 2 dealers. For all the bad, the car is still a lot of fun and I'm not sure if there's any other car that fits my needs the same way. I've bought a 60" TV and taken it home with the seats folded down, and I've taken me and 3 others skiing and everyone was comfortable. The summer tires are atrocious in the snow, so I use the car with Blizzaks from November through March, and the car does exceptionally well for a FWD. My only real complaint is Ford does not provide loaner vehicles like the BMW and Toyota dealers I have had experience with in the past, so if you're planning on buying this as a "one for everything" type of car, be wary that repairs could leave you without a vehicle for a few days or more. I purchased an extended warranty through ford, but to give you an idea, here's how much each repair has cost if it was not under warranty: Fog Light: $155.22 Sound Symposer $388.75 Rear bumper replacement: $988.75 Front lower Grille $74.00 Brake Sensor replacement, replacement front pads, system drain and leak test $324.00 At the car's purchase, I bought an extended warranty from Ford, for 100,000 miles of coverage. Based on the first year, It will probably pay itself off once it kicks in at 36,000 miles. At this point I will probably be trading the car before the warranty is up if the trend continues. It's fun, but not worth dropping a few grand on each year."

Ok vehicle for the money

By on Saturday, November 01, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage - up to 35mpg (hwy)"

Cons: "Small Interior - especially the backseats"

"I have owned my 2014 Ford Focus SE hatchback since November 2013. I purchased the vehicle new from a Ford dealer. The focus is a good value for the money. The overall appearance is nice and the gas mileage is great at 35mpg. The interior is nicely appointed but not much rear leg room. The vehicle drives nicely on open roads but does have a tendency to stall when taking off, jerks shifting into gear and makes a rattling noise when turning."

Do not like this car

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Cons: "Transmission horrible"

"Would never buy another one"

Do not like this car

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Cons: "Transmission horrible"

"Would never buy another one"

Neat little car, I like it!

By on Sunday, October 26, 2014

Pros: "sporty look & handling, nice creature features"

Cons: "bad resell value, # of auto trans issues reported"

"I bought my 2014 Focus se Hatchback aware of the auto manual trans issues that have been reported however after 600 miles of driving, so far so good, no stutter and the gas mileage is great! Car is quiet on the freeway, and has what I would describe as a sporty ride/feel to it. My only disappointments so far were a trim piece in the rear that holds up the trunk cover broke & the dealer had to order a new one and there's a squeak in the drivers backrest, found out it was a bad weld from the factory and the dealer has to order a new seat frame, on backorder of course.... These little things should never have happened & that is the only reasons why I give a 8/10 for "quaility"."