2014 Ford Focus ST Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,947 - $23,608.

7.3

Based on 404 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.6/10

Great Vehicle for the Price Range

By on Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, fuel efficent, reliable, cost"

Cons: "Door lock set up, Sony premium sound system"

"First let me start by saying its a very fun car. Has a large amount of torque for a small hatchback. Even though the car is classified as a compact car it has a fair amount of room. I am 5'11" and fit well with room to spare. The Recardo seats are very nice and I find them quite comfortable but I know they are not for everyone, they are made for the driving enthusiast and hug you, not everyone likes that but it's just a matter of preference, you will have to sit in one and judge for yourself. I really only have 2 complaints about the car and they are just because I tend to be, well, picky. First would be the power lock set up, there is one button in the center of the dash to lock and unlock with no manual way to unlock or lock the door (this seems to be more and more common in newer vehicles) I just don't like it, I can't really say anything more about that. The second would be the upgraded Sony sound system, most will probably find it pleasing, it is much better then a standard factory radio but for my taste the sub is lacking and the bluetooth audio doesn't seem to go loud enough, again this is something you will have to listen for yourself, everyone's ears are different and most don't tend to be as picky as mine are when it comes to radios. Otherwise it is a great car, get's decent gas mileage, and has not given me any problems as of yet. I can not stress enough fun, fun, fun car that is economical enough to be used as a daily driver without breaking the bank to fill the tank."

excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, April 23, 2015

"I traded in a 2008 Lincoln mkz, on the focus titanium , 4 years ago I said I would not ever own a focus, I drove this one, I bought it after the test drive, the ride and comfort sold me, very little road noise, great peppy little car, voice command systems allows you to adjust ac/radio/phone operations by voice commands . seats are more comfortable than the MKZ. First tank of gas averaged 32.8 mpg, which will improve after first 1000 miles. great value for the money."

2014 SE hatchback 5-speed manual

By on Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Pros: "Fuel economy (5-spd), sporty driving dynamics"

Cons: "Expensive for its class"

"This is one of the most entertaining FWD vehicles I've driven. Cornering is sharp, brakes are very good, transmission is excellent and has short throws. Winter performance is sketchy, although that could be more my unfamiliarity with driving a FWD car weighing less than 3000# with summer-only tires. My previous vehicle traded in for this was a 4000+# 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX HPP, which was a reliable workhorse in the winter, always taking me where I wanted to go (up hills, down hills, around curves) and never taking me where I didn't want to go (places like ditches, trees, jersey barriers, etc.). For the Focus in snow-prone areas, I recommend winter tires. And prayers for those times where it understeers through a curve and takes you to one of those places I mentioned that you don't want to go. Fuel economy thus far is tough to gauge; we had a pretty brutal winter about a month after I got the car, and between the extreme cold and the above average snowfall the fuel consumption in any vehicle takes a dive (idling after start-up to warm, staying in lower gears in the snow, higher air density, lower energy density in the winter blend gas). During the break-in period I saw 28-37 mpg city/highway. This generally falls within the fuel consumption rating on the window sticker (26 city / 36 highway / 30 combined). Interior is attractive for this class of car. The ergonomics are good in my estimation (6' 150# male). I opted for heated leather seats; a must in the Snow Belt, and the seat heaters work well. The leather is low-end but not uncomfortable. Some other reviewers noted that the car takes an unbearably long time to warm up and heat the cabin in winter, and that has been my experience as well. The Sync system works about as well as or better than every other speech-recognition system I've used in the past several years. The sole quality issue I encountered thus far is regarding the rear seat folding mechanism. Last weekend I folded the seat bottoms forward and seat backs down to create a flat loading floor (you can also just fold the seat backs down, but when you do so it will not be a flat surface). Once I had gotten home and unloaded, I tried rotating the seat back into its original position, but the whole seat back assembly popped out of the odd mechanical latch that appears to be meant to lock it into place and allow it to rotate. No problem, I thought, I'll just pop it back in, but it simply would not. This is a pending service call. In terms of utilization, this car is fairly comfortable. I have a family of (2a+3c), so we often have all seats in use. This is adequate for <30 minute trips, and most of them are. The hatch will hold the entirety of a full-on grocery trip for said family, but it won't be adequate for a camping trip unless we leave the kids home. Obviously this vehicle is not intended to service as a primary family vehicle, and I wouldn't recommend it as one unless your family is (2a+1c) or (1a+2c). In my household this vehicle is primarily a commuter car, and it serves that function admirably. All in all, it is a car that I had to get, not one that I wanted to get. All the same, it is an excellent car, with no qualifiers."

Annoying Transmission

By on Friday, November 14, 2014

Pros: "Tight handling, good 4 cyl power, great gas miles"

Cons: "Transmission noises, jerky under 20 mph"

"This car would have been a 9 out of 10 for the money but the transmission ruins the car for local driving. The automatic transmission is actually a semi automatic transmission so it sometimes shifts unsmoothly but only if you going under 20 mph. I have had this car for 1 year and 3 months and bought it brand new. The transmission makes rattle noises from the day I got it which Ford says is normal. I learned to accept that. The jerky shifting happens once in a while which is the most annoying. Once you are past 20 mph though it shifts really smooth. On the highway it's a fun car smooth ride. As annoying as the transmission feels part of me thinks it won't break. That is just the design they did to make it more gas efficient it seems. It handles really well and has nice power for a 4 cylinder. I give it a 10 for that. If I bought it used it wouldn't annoy me but a new car that makes noise and shifts awkward made me feel ripped off. I tell everyone I know to NEVER buy a Ford. If they are irresponsible on making a quiet smooth shifting transmission then there is plenty more they probably are screwing up on. Only buy this if you get a really good deal and am OK with the transmission sometimes shifting jerky under 20 mph speeds. If you do a lot of highway driving it won't annoy you as much. Note all my ratings would have been 9 or 10 but the transmission made me rate them lower."

Steady runner

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

"I've owned this car for a year - so far I had no mechanical problems and it's been a steady runner for highway trips. However, when it comes to comfort, and anything remotely "fancy" - this is not even slightly the car for you. Top issues that I've had with this car: - driving dynamics. this car has very low maneuverability! I'm not a race car driver, but when I'm trying to get out of a bad corner on the way from daycare in rush hour, I want to be confident this car can get up and go. It chokes first, then gradually speeds up. So, no short passes, quick maneuvers at all, period. - this car has the most uncomfortable passenger seat ever!! the glove box is where your knees are and there is no way you can move far enough to get comfy - regardless how tall/big/skinny you are. never mind the fact that the backseat size is really small (choose car seats wisely). Trunk size is good though. - sound system. okay, i know i was getting the base model but really?? really?? I have a $4 speaker at home that hooks up to my phone or laptop via bluetooth which sounds MUCH better than this system. $4!! - this car has only 2 cup holders for driver, no other accommodations. you also won't find an ash tray there. oh, and AUX is in the glovebox - look closely. I do like: - blind spot mirrors - safety release in the trunk - cheap parts if repair needed - so far, consistency and reliability. - LOVE gas mileage. The most I was able to get out of it was 37.5 (above manufacturer's ratings) - that was highway miles for a few days. Currently mix of city\highway - 31.1. Love it. - I do like that it blends in - sometimes it's just handy :)"

Great car...good for around town or short commutes

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pros: "Handles well, easy to park/drive"

Cons: "No power windows in back seat"

"Would be good car for college/HS student. I have really liked the car. I chose it over a Toyota. Even though it's better around town, it still holds its own on the highway...I have no complaints about it."

Fun to drive, great gas mileage

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage"

Cons: "Would like to see a 2.3L 4 cyl. offered"

"Fun to drive, great gas mileage, good styling"

Just a very fun little car to drive...

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "w/FWD, handles well in sowy/icy weather."

Cons: "Moonroof inside cover comes just slightly open."

"Handles well. Excellent response. Takes a corner like it's on rails. The 2.0L engine is surprisingly quick w/good power. Really a sharp looking vehicle in Sterling Grey metallic w/the moon-roof & hatchback. 28 - 32 mpg. Just a very fun little car to drive."

Great, fun, well designed

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "good value, great handling, manual transmission"

Cons: "sync infotainment is mostly good, but has some bug"

"I have owned this vehicle for a couple of months now, and have really liked it thus far. I test drove both the automatic and manual transmissions, and found the manual transmission to be very easy and fun to drive. I have really come to like the manual transmission. The automatic transmission has had more mixed reviews, so I opted for the manual and am really glad I did. The car is very responsive, handles well and is quite fun to drive. No real issues thus far other than a reset that was required with the sync infotainment system. The interior and driver controls are very well thought out. Attention to details like the blind spot mirrors integrated into the side mirrors really make a noticeable difference in the overall driving experience of the car. The focus has plenty of power, yet gets really good gas mileage. I do all city driving going to and from work, and have been averaging 28 mpg."

I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Great M.P.G, sporty, fun to drive, head turner."

Cons: "NONE, NONE, NONE, NONE, NONE, NONE, NONE, NONE"

"I bought a Titanium Sedan a week ago and love it. Granted I only put 200 miles on it so far but, I have no complaints. I laughed at all the reviews on here about the transmission. WELL if you would of read reviews on the car you'd know about the transmission. I noticed it shifts different then my 2002 Grand Prix BUT, hey they're different cars. I really don't see anything wrong with the shifting. It's a Focus not a Caddy or Jag. Do your homework people before you buy a car. I have 3 friends who own one too and they're not complaining about the transmission. Bought it in Performance Blue and it's a head turner, car has a lot of pep for a compact. seats are comfortable, everything is within easy reach, great gas mileage."

Great little fast car!

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "Handling, Power, and looks."

Cons: "None."

"I have never owned a compact car before but wanted somthing that is good on fuel but also fun to drive. So, I bought a 2014 Ford Focus St. So far this car has not let me down. It is really fun to drive and gives me great gas mileage. I get an average of 25 mpg and that's with hard driving. This car just loves the curves. I really can't find anything wrong with this car at all."

Great car that feels sporty with great gas mileage

By on Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Pros: "Offers lots of options at a good price."

Cons: "Arm rest in between front seats too far back."

"I wanted a smaller car that's easy to maneuver, sporty, looks great with good gas mileage. Also wanted a nice car that wouldn't look opulent to other, but had lots of great options that I liked and wanted. The Focus offers the all of this and does it perfectly."

Great all round family/sports car

By on Monday, May 11, 2015

Pros: "Turbo!! Good on fuel when you want it to be."

Cons: "All my friends want to drive it."

"By far the best car I have ever owned. It's perfect for me because it is sporty and I can haul around the wife and kids when I need to. Lots of room in the car with the seats down to haul around random large items also. The car has very solid built feel to it. o yea,, ITS FAST AND HANDLES GREAT!!"

BEST SPORTS CAR FOR THE MONEY EVER

By on Thursday, April 30, 2015

Pros: "GREAT POWER GREAT TORQUE GOOD GAS MILEAGE"

Cons: "TURNING RADIUS IS SMALL"

"THE CAR DRIVES LIKE A TRACK CAR BUT WITH ALL THE GOODIES LIKE 10 SPEAKER SONY STEREO RECARO BUCKET SEATS AND A VERY GOOD CONNECTION TO THE ROAD THROUGH THE STEERING. THE CAR HANDLES LIKE A TRACK CAR VERY LITTLE BODY ROLL AND HUGS CORNERS NICEST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED."

Very Nice Vehicle

By on Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Pros: "Great safety features and fun to drive."

"I purchased a 2014 Ford Focus FE and I have really enjoyed this car. This vehicle comes with many safety features. I was recently in an accident and not only did my airbags deploy, the motor shut itself off, the emergency blinkers were automatically engaged and the horn alarmed then the sync lady came over the speakers and said " I am attempting to call 911" This eased my mind in knowing that had I went over a mountain an no one seen me, they would have seen the blinking lights, heard the beeping horn and I would have know that 911 was being called even if I was unable to reach my phone. This is a very nice car and driving it is a pleasure. The gas mileage is awesome! I love my Ford Focus SE!"

power + grip + rally design + good MPG = awesome

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "power, grip, rally car design, good MPG"

Cons: "price, options prices, SYNC"

"This is my daily commute car and I love it. I have been wanting a car this powerfull for many years now but could not aford it until now. I love the power that it brings when you put it to the test and the grip in curves. Being a rally race car fan myself, I love the way it looks and drives. It feels like I am in a race... yeah, I do step on it every time I drive it. Gas milage is good too. The car itself is a little pricy in my area, it would be great if the options were not so expensive. My only concern would be SYNC. It works great when it actually works, it just needs some tweeking that is all. Overall it meets expectations, but does not exceed expectations."

Great car

By on Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive,great on gas"

Cons: "Front console area a little tight"

"I bought my 2012focus with escape trade in.at first I didn't like the smaller cargo area,but now that I have adjusted from escape cargo,I love,love,it and the gas mileage is GREAT.the only draw back,is console area a little tight.this is a great car"

Disappointed

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Cons: "Too many other better cars to chose from."

"Transmission problems at 19,000. Fuel injectors are loud. It reminds me of an old car with bad valves. Inefficient door locking system."

Sync with nav. excellent,better than uconnect .

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Pros: "price could be lower."

Cons: "cup holders should be a little bigger."

"The transmission is a learning tranny. and works great. People do not seem to know hot to use the sync system It works great. It is a small car ride is fine. sports suspension works very well. I have the 2013 titanium hatchback."

POOR TRANSMISSION

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Interior, Exterior, Handling, MPG"

Cons: "TRANSMISSION"

"Ive only had this car two weeks, and I have put about 500 miles on it. I would love this car if Ford wouldn't have put a transmission in this car that isn't worth anything. The transmission already grinds and shudders on me like many other people.. Just Google "2014 Ford Focus automatic transmission problems" and you will see what I mean.. Save yourself the trouble, and possibly getting stranded and look it up.."

Really Poor Quality

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Good Style, Looks Fancy"

Cons: "HORRIBLE TRANSMISSION AND QUALITY"

"Ford really messed up with the transmission on this model year of the Focus. You literally feel like you are on a roller coaster. I have had a new clutch system and a brand new transmission put in (florida lemon law) and still have problems. If you want a smooth running, reliable car, don't get a 2012 Focus."

beautiful styling ,

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "nice pickup,nice body styling"

Cons: "plug outlet poorly designed ,transmission loud"

"liked the car initially ,beautiful styling, but the plug outlet is placed behind the cup holder and if you have a drink of soda pop and sloshes into the plug it will short it out , they will charge you $45 to replace the fuse. The transmission failed several times, wouldn't go in reverse and was loud when shifting. It didn't have Bluetooth, which should be mandatory for all cars. Body is low to the ground and no handle on the ceiling to help you out. a lot of space in the trunk , I carried a 55" flat screen tv without a problem."

handling that saved my life

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pros: "as it states great price and fun to drive"

Cons: "needs some place to keep my pens and phone #s."

"this car has never given me a problem. I have been into the dealership for all of the check ups. on time, that can save you money and your life. I was driving on 95 in an area of new construction. one of the large barriers was sticking out. my rear tire caught the protrusion and tossed the car up. I was able to control and pull to the side of the road. thank you ford"

Little red focus

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Great mps fun to drive"

Cons: "Lots of funny noises and poping"

"I bought my 2012 ford focus used with 8000 miles on it. when I first got it there was a thumping in the front end after 3 trips to the dealership I got a new strut. Other than that I have had it hit 53 mpg on the highway. it is lots of fun to drive in the mountains or any where for that matter."

I love my ST2!

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "Engine "pep" Tangerine Scream color. Recaro seats"

Cons: "Lower gas mileage than projected"

"I traded a V6 Mustang for my ST2. Very "peppy" turbocharged engine. Sync has worked well so far. Great on long drives. Gas mileage does not match what is projected on the window sticker."