• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2013 Ford Focus ST Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,114 - $22,833.

7.4

Based on 289 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

7.5/10
    7.6/10

A reliable, fun, peppy little car to drive.

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "GREAT gas mileage. Lot`s of gadgets. Super radio."

Cons: "Rides a little rough, due to larger wheels."

"I`ve owned my Ford Focus Titanium hatchback for a year and a half now and I really love it. It has a sharp sporty look and it`s the first car I`ve owned, which several strangers have approached me and asked me how I liked it and told me how impressive it looks. The car started and performed well during our last seige of below zero weather, here in Michigan and it is very comfortable and elaborately outfitted in the cabin and really fun to drive and very easy to park."

Great Little Car For Price

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "great mpg -"

Cons: "Tire wear - Transmission"

"I drive this 2012 Focus almost 500 miles a day - Mostly interstate - Small amount of stop & go in town traffic - I average over 35 mpg. at 70-75 mph. Rain and wind does reduce average mpg though - Only real problem is the transmission in stop & go traffic - constant engage and dis-engaging in traffic - Also stays dis-engaged if you are too quick moving from brake to accelerator. Other than getting use to the way the transmission works, this has been a great little car."

auto transmission problems

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage is good, constant 30mpg"

Cons: "Dependability may be a problem if i keep this car."

"Many auto trans problems. Dual clutch assembly replaced at 17,000 miles. It is now shuttering bad again at 31,500 miles. Carpet mat hold downs pulling out of carpet. Dealer says not covered??"

Its a car

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Cons: "Cup Holders are horrible too!"

"When I first looked in to buying this car I was truly excited. Once I owned the car for a week I was truly upset. I have had repeated transmission issues and have gone to the top to be told its "the nature of the car". While the car is sporty to drive and has great mileage, which was #1 reason for its purchase, it does lack in comfort and not a smooth ride. Most of this is my own fault. I was used to an SUV and a smoother ride. I travel the interstate everyday and its a rough ride. The shape of the seat also aggrevates my bad hip. It is a good car, but if I had known about the transmission issues, I would have never bought it. Lesson learned not to do move review first!!"

Great car! 33 miles per gallon.

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Great mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "Built too low to the ground"

"Bought the car because wife travels a lot for business. She loves every aspect of the car. A little small for my 300 lb. body, but still very adequate for all our needs. 64000 miles and has only been in the garage for routine maintenance. Got 49000 miles on the original tires. Great little car!"

Its Okay

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage, cute, nice mesh seats"

Cons: "Bad transmissions,"

"I was thrilled when I first bought my focus. Thought it was the best car on the road because I got 35MPG even in town, and I had the convenience of the SYNC system and Sirius radio. Then about three months after buying my car brand new I began having transmission issues. No dealership or even Ford corporate would listen. But I know there is something wrong with the transmissions of the new Focuses. The transmission slips, it seems to skip gears, and it revs too high during acceleration even when Im not "gunning it" or "racing to the speed limit". I would not personally ever buy another Focus."

excellent - looks/drives nice, very fuel efficient

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Stylish/Fun to drive. Great price."

"Love this car. My son & I fight over driving it. Now buying one just for me. This car handles and drives very nice with very good acceleration. It gets better than advertised gas mileage. Get around 39mpg highway. Even when I drive it up the mountain for skiing (4,000ft vertical gain) I average 36.5 mpg for the trip. It has great power for getting up the mountain. It has good tires but recommend snow tires for skiing trips/snow. Love the convenience of the sync voice activated Bluetooth. Runs very solid. My car is the 2012 focus sedan SE, I have 35,000 miles on it."

Surpising

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "Price, gas milage, fun to drive, well made."

Cons: "Could use 6spd manual, farther reaching headlights"

"Noticed this car when Ford began redesigning their cars in order not to have to take TARP money during the economic downturn. Thought it would be too small for me, I'd gotten used to more mid-sized cars, so, never drove one. Drove one, liked it. got one. Great deal. Getting 39mpg going back and forth to work 15 miles one way, on back roads, curvy, hilly. Manual shifter. Up shift when lighted arrow tells me to. Hit 5th gear by 35mph. Could use a sixth gear on highway. Also, headlights don't reach out real far, low, or high beams. But the price, and styling, gas milage, and other features make this car enjoyable to drive, and own. I got $2,500 off in Ford rebates, dealer knocked $795 off as sale price, Ford knocked $490 off sticker, "Synch and sound discount", dealer overvalued my trade by $1,000, and I'll get $2,200 back from unused extended warrantee, and GAP protection on my trade. Great stereo. The business of the center console I saw from outside the vehicle is not the same as what I experience inside the cabin, and driving it. Similarly the dash. I had a 2013 Fusion S, which I liked, and then a Kia Sportage LX FWD in between. This car surprises me. It is a small car, but one of my favorite cars of all time was a 1996 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5spd manual that I put 273,000 miles on before trading it on a 2004 Chevy Impala."

Loving this car

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "Fun drive, sporty, great gas milage."

Cons: "no armrests, children in boosters little leg room."

"Love the power this little car has along with the stylish body. I traded a 2004 Toyota Matrix and made the right choice. Better gas mileage, speed, power, comfort. I work 20 miles away from home and a full tank gets me almost two weeks plus my weekends. I purchased used with 50,000 miles for just under $14,000 and the insurance is very affordable. Great ride on long distances. One complaint from kids was their feet were either squished due to the height of booster seat or their feet are on the back of seats getting them dirty."

Steady runner

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

"I've owned this car for a year - so far I had no mechanical problems and it's been a steady runner for highway trips. However, when it comes to comfort, and anything remotely "fancy" - this is not even slightly the car for you. Top issues that I've had with this car: - driving dynamics. this car has very low maneuverability! I'm not a race car driver, but when I'm trying to get out of a bad corner on the way from daycare in rush hour, I want to be confident this car can get up and go. It chokes first, then gradually speeds up. So, no short passes, quick maneuvers at all, period. - this car has the most uncomfortable passenger seat ever!! the glove box is where your knees are and there is no way you can move far enough to get comfy - regardless how tall/big/skinny you are. never mind the fact that the backseat size is really small (choose car seats wisely). Trunk size is good though. - sound system. okay, i know i was getting the base model but really?? really?? I have a $4 speaker at home that hooks up to my phone or laptop via bluetooth which sounds MUCH better than this system. $4!! - this car has only 2 cup holders for driver, no other accommodations. you also won't find an ash tray there. oh, and AUX is in the glovebox - look closely. I do like: - blind spot mirrors - safety release in the trunk - cheap parts if repair needed - so far, consistency and reliability. - LOVE gas mileage. The most I was able to get out of it was 37.5 (above manufacturer's ratings) - that was highway miles for a few days. Currently mix of city\highway - 31.1. Love it. - I do like that it blends in - sometimes it's just handy :)"

Great car, fun to drive, great mileage and looks

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Price, mileage, looks, comfortable"

Cons: "Front wheel drive torque is hard to get used to."

"I have owned this for a few months and so I can't really talk about reliability, but so far so good, great mileage, when sticking to 68 with cruise control, the mileage indicator reads 42.5 mpg, drops to about 38 mpg at 72, which is pretty much what people drive at here in so cal on the fwy. It handles really good for a stock setup and when tires get replaced and i put on some better shocks, this thing will undoubtedly be a real hoot!. My only complaint is this lag time I get sometime if I really stomp on it, I've read that its the electronics not having time to make the motor respond quickly enough? Double clutch transmission, shifts so smoothly you really don't notice it going thru the 6 speeds. Overall for the money and the just plain cool looking car, not to mention rebates FORD offers with this car, I find it hard to get a better car for the $$, All of this is of course my opinion, but I have been a professional driver for 35 years, so I know whats what. Cheers!!"

This car is so much fun to drive!

By on Monday, June 09, 2014

Pros: "The turbo is very smooth and easy to drive."

Cons: "If it was all wheel drive it would be perfect."

"This car handles very well and is surprisingly fast. I love to drive and I like challenging other drivers in their expensive cars. I did embarrass a BMW owner on a local curvy road."

Good little car

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Good looking, great gas mileage"

Cons: "Transmission problems"

Can't deny it, she's a real looker.

"I really loved my 2012 Focus. For the most part, it is a nice little car. It's good looking and gets great gas mileage. The only thing I don't care for is how it feels like the transmission is slipping when taking off from a stop. I took it back to the dealership right after I got it thinking something was wrong with it. They said they drove it and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. Isn't that how it always goes? Your car never does what you want it to do when you take to the mechanic. That's when I got online and found out there are a lot of other people complaining about the same problem. The new power shift duel clutch transmission is garbage. I just hope the seals in mine don't start leaking like they have in other people's. Right now I owe more than it's worth but if I didn't, I would trade it in for something else. Very worried."

Can't deny it, she's a real looker.

OK Car, but not well designed in the little areas

By on Monday, June 02, 2014

Pros: "Nice looking, electronics are great"

Cons: "Back small, balky engine, no garage door opener"

"I was amazed that I could not store a set of clubs in the car without putting down one of the seats - Fail for me. Also, I didn't check (my bad), but this car, top of the line does not have a built in garage door opener (fail). The engine balks when I take off whether it is cold or warm. I've owned honda, acura, and toyota. Now, I remember why I made the switch to Japanese cars. Final note: Mileage was very disappointing for a car this small."

Great car

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "Handling, power, comfort on long trips."

Cons: "Arm rest"

"I've owned my 2014 Ford Focus ST for a little over 6 months and have enjoyed every bit of it. The pick up power is great and my fuel mileage is around 27 MPG even with someone that has a heavy foot. I love the way this car handles. It is great in dry and wet conditions. I would definitely recommend this car. I love everything about this car except arm rest, wait there isn't one. But seriously, this is a great car."

Transmission is a deal breaker

By on Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pros: "Style, handling, efficiency, and space."

Cons: "DCT Transmission"

"I've had this car for 3 years now and if it wasn't for the automatic transmission I would have rated all 8 or better. I have had 4 trans reflashes to address the issue and only minor improvement. The clutch shudder is so severe at time it effects the acceleration of the vehicle. I work in the auto industry and regularly benchmark vehicles and this is the worst transmission I have seen. Not all vehicles will have this issue but it's not worth the risk in my opinion."

Great car

By on Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive,great on gas"

Cons: "Front console area a little tight"

"I bought my 2012focus with escape trade in.at first I didn't like the smaller cargo area,but now that I have adjusted from escape cargo,I love,love,it and the gas mileage is GREAT.the only draw back,is console area a little tight.this is a great car"

Great fun car

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage,fun to drive"

Cons: "Wish console area a little roomier"

"Bought it used when 1year old.was a little hesitent with cargo area being smaller then my escape,but after getting use to it,love,love,love,the gas mileage.people complain about trany,but it's Eco boost,get use to it.have had no problems at all,going on 2 years"

ARCADE BUMPER CAR

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Good Gas mileage"

Cons: "Jerks, stutters and stalls,"

"2013 Focus SE 14 MONTH old car, 12K on it. Since Thanksgiving have had transmission leaks fixed twice. Clutch slave and clutch replaced. Now the electronic throttle is shot, almost broke down on the I-95 interstate (late at night). Car jerks and stumbles at turns and acceleration. Honestly acts like an amusement park bumper car. Afraid to now take it on the highway which is a problem since this is the main way for me to get around. Only plus is I get great mileage."

Sportiest Sedan Exterior Meets Economy

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Economy, Sportiness, Powertrain, Purchase Price"

Cons: "Interior Compartments, Capless Gas Tank"

"The best thing I can say about the Ford Focus S 4-door Sedan 5-speed manual has to be the economy. Having just completed a 1700-mile round trip from Texas, through the Rockies of Utah and back, I averaged 39 mpg. The fuel cost never exceeded $30 per fuel-up with the factory recommended 87 octane, and nearly 400 miles per refuel made for a quick ride. And to top it off, the new Focus sedan body style looked tight as it maintained speeds through mountain and country terrain. Finally, at $400 cheaper than the smaller Ford Fiesta "Automatic" SE, the Ford Focus S 5-speed sedan is a sweet deal. The cons would have to be that none of the interior compartments seem to be practical, for anything. Additionally, a couple times in the past year I was unable to insert the fuel pump into the capless gas tank; some type of design flaw that is not detailed how to counteract within the user manual."

Be aware

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Pros: "Price, beautiful engine, hi quality finish, ride"

Cons: "Cant Heel & Toe downshift"

"I bought this after Pontiac stopped making the Solstice. Very similar in power, but the rear wheel drive solstice corners so much better, not to say the focus doesn't but... As to everything else its a brilliant little fun car, but well built, comfortable for my lard backside and 6' height, on all but 8 hour + trips To those who complain about snow driving, this is a "sports car" sold with summer tires, either change you tires or get a snow car. Fuel consumption: in Houston traffic even with my lead foot 25 on a regular basis on the highway, keep it around the legal 85 in Texas and you'll see 35. My only & I mean only gripe, the brake/accelerator pedals are not set up for heel & toe downshifts, such a great pity. Bottom line, as my summary says, Be aware, this is no limmo, nor is it intended to be, it is no snow car , and to be honest putting salt on the excellent paintwork is criminal. it is a fun hard driving euro hatchback and will match any of them. It is not a dragster but on sweeping bendy country roads it will take on anything."

Just Love The Ford Focus

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "fund to drive, great price, high quality"

"I bought the 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback, it's indeed a great car, easy to control, and made with the high quality, there is no issue. Just love to drive it out.Comparing to the Toyota/Honda, I didn't see any reason to switch to them, toyota/honda just provides the higher price and with lower quality on the car itself. Japanese spend the time on ads, nothings else."

Love this car!!

By on Saturday, May 10, 2014

Pros: "handling, handling, comfort, mpg,price"

Cons: "too many buttons/busy radio controls"

"Rented a 2012 Focus a couple of years ago and was so impressed with the way it handled, I knew it would be a strong contender for my next car purchase. Fast forward to this year when thinking about replacing my car, I priced out the SE Focus with a manual transmission and realized with the savings in gas $$, the new car would only cost me about $50 per month. I do a lot of highway driving, sharing the road with semis, and the Focus makes the driving fun. It just handles the road so well and feels stable in high winds & on wet roads. Can't say enough positive about what it is like to drive it. Never do I feel like I'm driving a cheap car when I'm in it, even though it's the least expensive new car I've ever bought, going back about 20 years. Didn't rate on reliability as I've only had it a couple of months."

Great car...good for around town or short commutes

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pros: "Handles well, easy to park/drive"

Cons: "No power windows in back seat"

"Would be good car for college/HS student. I have really liked the car. I chose it over a Toyota. Even though it's better around town, it still holds its own on the highway...I have no complaints about it."

Fun to drive, great gas mileage

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage"

Cons: "Would like to see a 2.3L 4 cyl. offered"

"Fun to drive, great gas mileage, good styling"

See if you qualify for