• 2014 Compact SUVs

2013 Ford Flex Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $29,403 - $30,172.

10/7.8

Based on 163 Ratings for the 2009 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

What a fun SUV to drive

By on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"I thought I was down grading from my beloved GMC Suburban of 11 years. Love this Flex. Great on the highway with plenty of power and ease of manuevering that I didn't expect. Not top heavy like most SUVs I test drove and I test drove several from GM to Toyota and Nissan. Lots of room in the second row for the grandkids."

"Homerun for Ford!"

By on Monday, August 10, 2009

"I have gotten nothing but compliments from people on this vehicle since purchasing it on 7/30/09. It drives as smooth as silk. the interior is the best I have ever seen from Ford. I have the black leather interior with theblack clearcoat exterior. I can't say it enough, Everyone who sees this crossover loves it!!! My kids love it my colleagues at work love it. My wife likes it a lot which is saying a lot because she is not into cars or car shopping at all. The Ford sales staff was outstanding. The Flex is really roomy and the seats are very comfortable. I find myself trying to come up with excuses to drive it. It has plenty of power off the line and in the mid-range for a vehicle of it's class and type. Good build quality, high quality interior materials, and very stylish details make this vehicle a winner. 3yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and 5 yr/60000 mile powertrain with 2 yr/24000 mile free oil changes and tire rotation. Free monthly car washes from the dealer for 2 years, I mean these guys really want to sell you a car which puts you and me, the buyers in a great position. I test drove the Dodge Journey, Saturn Outlook, and Chevy Traverse and they did not come close to the value for the dollar I got with the Flex. The Honda Pilot looks like a Tonka Toy. Toyota is just plain boring. Buy American and support our auto industry. With Ford putting out a vehicle this good it is an easy thing to do. Just so everyone knows, I don't work for Ford and am not a paid plant, just an ordinary American citizen who is really impressed with this vehicle. It is my 1st new vehicle and I am almost 40. My advice, Buy One!!!"

The Best Ugly Car Ever

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, Reliability, Performace,"

Cons: "Front foot room,"

"As you read this please understand that this was the ultimate stretch for me. I have been a dedicated GM owner for many years. I had a predetermined budget for the purchase and this new 2009 Ford Flex was purchased while Ford was offering there Employee pricing incentive so it was a lot of car for the money spent. It is also safe to say that I wold not be able to replicate that today. My first reaction was no way. I am not interested. It just lacked any style. Then I drove it for an evening. After my 100 mile demo drive it totaly made me see the car in a differant light. Its spacious interior makes it a very comfortable car to drive. It had that big car feel however drives much like todays midsized sedans. The front drivers area is well appointed with power outlets and creature comforts like AM/FM 6 CD change stereo, Sirrus Radio, The Sync System and the dual front and rear Air Conditioning. The interrior lighting was adequate however it could have been better. There is more than enough room for 5 pepole well over six feet tall. It is the only vechicle I have been in where the rear legg room was not impeaded by the back for the front seats. As far as having enough room I cant find another car that offers the room and comfort and the value the Ford Flex offers. It was actually quieter inside than a Cadillac Escalade. The 3.5 lite V6 performs flawlessly and the Front wheel drive version that I own provided 23 MPG Highway and 19 MPG City - Safe to say 21 mpg average. The Flex easily towed a 3,500 pound trailer and I belive would handle the 5000 pound towing capacity with the proper equipment. The transmission hold back feature to aid in descending long grades with out riding the brakes performs very well. The Ford Flex is a practical full sized all around transportion. I would be interested to see how the new eco boost V6 engine performs in a MPG test as it is reported to be much better. Ford has really hit a home run with this car. If you can overlook the exterior design you wont be dissapointed with your results. I would deffinatly purchase another Ford Flex and recommend the car to a friend."

fantastic vehicle. love to drive it.

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

Pros: "plenty of data ports, cup holders at all positions"

Cons: "no cargo room w seatbacks up fuel capacity 2 small"

"I have 2010, sel model. i love it. it drives like a dream. easy handling on curves really holds them tight. pure pleasure to drive. wife also likes to drive it."

Been a great vehicle

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, quality and flexability!!"

Cons: "People either love or hate the look...."

"I bought the Flex to cart a choir group around and to use to move a kid to college. I will buy my next flex because I love the car. The interior is huge...backseat legroom puts what they are calling luxary cars to shame (spelled Cadillac) It is up off the ground a bit (but not truckish) handles well in all weather conditions and quality has been excellent since day 1. The base model has lots more on it than I have traditionally seen in a car and has been more than adequate."

Great Value

By on Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"This car is definitely a love or hate car, but for those who like a boxy looking car, no need to look elsewhere. This car has everything you would ever want in a crossover. It has a ton of room in both the front and middle rows, and even has an acceptable amount of room in the 3rd row. The seats are extremely comfortable and stylish, the interior is second-to-none, and the car is well-rounded. We've been on 3 300 mile+ trips in it and I can't tell you how nice this car is to have for traveling. It is slightly underpowered for those of you seeking a soccer mom car with some extra kick for the husband, but it definitely gets the job done for quick acceleration on the highway. As far as it's overall quality, we bought our SEL used with about 27000 miles and it was in absolutely brand new condition. The materials used to build this car seem to be very high quality, and it doesn't show wear and tear. Although we've only had ours about 7 months, we are very happy with how it's held up under the conditions we've put it through, and I'm currently very happy with how it does in the snow (for a front wheel drive vehicle with no snow tires). We've had 4+ inches on all the roads and it seems to glide right through it with little to no slipping, and when the wheels do spin, the traction control takes over immediately. The only major problem I have with this car is the massive amount of torque-steer it has. When you floor it, the steering wheel makes you work to keep it straight. Other than that, this car is a must-have for those seeking a stylish, comfortable, usable family car to take trips, drive the kids to practice, or have a night out on the town."

We love it!!!

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and very comfortable"

"We purchased our 2009 Ford Flex January of 2010. We currently have 117000 miles on our Flex and it has been all over the country. Drives good, handles good, looks good and the best thing is we have had no problems at all. Would buy another one no question."

my ford flex

By on Friday, December 28, 2012

Pros: "price/size"

Cons: "lack of rear opening windows"

"I have the flex after downsizing from an e350 15 passenger van. Yes big family with plenty of friends. I didn't want a huge SUV. I needed the seating- 7 minimum, and it easily seats 7 adults. I can even fit 3 hockeybags with all the seats filled. I wanted something with no blind spots- this is it. I do wish I was higher off the ground, but I don't feel like I'm sitting on the ground like in some others cars. I wish the rear had windows which opened for the puppies but the vents work well for them. The rear seat does fold down flat but not into the floor snug enough, it's bouncy- lost space. I like what I have so far and would easily recommend the flex."

Love this Vehicle!!!!

By on Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, Sharp Looking, spacious"

Cons: "Tires were more expensive"

"We bought this car at higher mileage and still has been the best vehicle I have EVER owned! I have 3 kids but I also work in a job that I shuttle a lot of women around. I can comfortable fit 7 adults in the vehicle and looks so much better than a minivan! I have even laid seats down and fit a twin mattress and boxsprings and threw another 3 Queen mattresses on top of the car. Kids love Lexie (Car's name) even my teenager and that's hard to believe I know. I reminds me of an old Calif. Woody Car. Have a friend who works for a funeral home and since my car is all black he even joked that they could steal it and make it into a hearse since there is enough room. I have the low end version and just wish XM lasted longer and had the little plastic pieces on inside of door handle pop off but that's it! Although I am still looking for the fuse box. The owners manual is very vague. Had a nail in my tire last week and even though it didn't look low at all the low tire pressure alarm came on and we got it fixed."

Wish I had bought something else!!

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "Rides nice on highway sun roof & power seats"

Cons: "MPG, brakes, electronics"

"I bought a 2012 SEL AWD with every option except navigation and DVD. The second day I owned the car the warning lights lit up the dash like a Christmas tree. It had to be removed to the dealer by flatbed and I had to wait almost a week for parts to come in. Since then the brakes have continued to shudder and make noise and now the acceleration seems to be slow to respond. Very unhappy with the decreasing gas mileage. It rides nicely on the highway and looks nice, too - but I expected more from a $40k automobile."

Best vehicle ever!

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pros: "comfort safety and MPGs"

Cons: "can't find one yet...I could do w/out a payment :)"

"I have been driving my Flex for 4 years now. I still love this vehicle. Who can get 21 MPG with mixed city and highway driving in a big rig that can haul 7 passangers? Mine can! I have been noticing some brake noise occassionally. All checks out well. I finally had to replace the tires.....yikes 800.00. The leather/interior has held up well. The exterior has held up pretty well. No problems with reliability. Comfortable and safe ride. I was in a major accident awhile back and I came out without a scratch. The car was not driveable at the time and it held me safe. Definitly the type of car a family should ride in. Love it!"

What is this thing? (Besides awesome)

By on Monday, November 04, 2013

Pros: "Safety features, drivetrain, fast smooth and quiet"

Cons: "So-so fit and finish, lack of curb-tilt mirrors"

"I have about 9000 miles on my 2013 Flex Limited AWD, grey with platinum package and all the options, and I have loved every mile of it. For two decades I drove pickups, SUVs and minivans, always top trim levels. So the Flex is my first "car" in years. The Flex is fairly luxurious and the technology features are cool. Not sure what it is though; is it a car, a crossover or what? I do think its kinda odd looking so I call it my Funky Family Wagon. Aside from a single fit and finish issue (which our local dealer has not managed to fully fix), the Flex has been perfect. It is quiet, smooth and FAST. Quick off the line, awesome passing power and thankfully speed limited at 123 mph. I run the twin turbo on premium, and get 17.6 mpg overall, up to 23 on the highway, and I achieve that mileage while making full use of the accelerator. I live in hilly country with winding roads and the handling is very good for a large vehicle. The Parking assist has parked me in places I never would have tried, and the back-up safety features are great in crowded parking lots. The active curve control has kept me on the road occasionally and the collision avoidance is useful- especially if you drive like me (which I do not recommend). I do highly recommend the active cruise control, which we have on two of our other vehicles (2011 Acura MDX and 2012 Toyota Sienna). The Flex is my favorite of the three. Its great for dropping the kids safely at school and then inviting speeding tickets and deer collisions as I drive it to work...or wherever it takes me next."

GREAT GREAT GREAT!!!!

By on Friday, June 24, 2011

Pros: "Just Great all around quality and handling"

Cons: "wish we would have known the titanium edition was coming out"

"Completely the best car we have ever owned and we have had alot!. Test drive all 3rd row vehicles drove and comfort was the best. My 6'2" friend feels comfortable in 3rd row."

Definitely a Family Car!!

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pros: "Roomy and fun to drive"

Cons: "gas mileage, terrible traction & clearance in snow"

"This car is great for a family of 3 boys and all of their sports equipment!! Love the room and ease of access to the 3rd row!! What's not so great!! 1) Clearance -> with the snow we've had in MI this year - we have gotten stuck a lot!! 2) ->Front wheel drive in the snow!! Horrible traction and can't make it up the slightest incline!!! Lastly -> Gas mileage stinks!! We do a lot of travelling and I'd say at best 16 mpg - with good tires and regular oil changes!!"

Awesome to drive and coolest crossver ever.

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "Unique looks and comfort, the right motor and room"

Cons: "Some fit and finish items seem an afterthought."

"I find it difficult to believe the KBB rating compared to the driver ratings. It's a matter of taste and long term driving. The Flex always gets a double take and everyone who has seen it loves it. No, they are not just being polite. It drives very comfortably, road noise is minimal and acceleration is responsive. I find I can keep my speed in most turns on the freeway. For hot rods, there is the Ecoboost. We have the Limited so it comes pretty well loaded and the longer you own it the less you need to use the screen. The Infomatics have been criticized in the past but whatever it was, it works on ours. There is legroom in every seat, even the ones in the very back. You won't find that everywhere. It's got so much room that no one rides uncomfortably. I love the multiple sunroofs and the air bags in the rear seat-belts. If you are deciding, go drive one and enjoy!"

Owner since 2010, had 11 miles at purchase

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, fule economy, Air, handling, good road ca"

Cons: "No air shocks available."

"Have used daily, very good family car, good room, travels well with 7 if you have a luggage carrier and or rack. Cleans well. Could use air shocks, but Ford and after market does not make them. Could be a better warranty, but we have not had to use it yet. Nolan"

Want a Cadillac but can't afford one?

By on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Pros: "smooth ride, comfortable, mpg, Ford Sync, style"

Cons: "0"

"This car is the next best thing in my opinion, only with more versatility. The ride is smooth and I could drive on a long trip with ease. Try putting a 10' board in a Caddy, I can in my Flex. Leg room is fantastic, gas mileage is unbelievable for a car this size. I live out in the country but go to the city a lot, and yet I average 22 to 23 mpg! The only annoyance is everyplace you go people are asking about, have to look inside. I got one of the fist ones and for the fist two years I couldn't stop anyplace that I wouldn't get asked about it "Is that the new Ford in that flashy commercial?" Now some still ask what it is but most know and want to know how I like as they've been thinking about one."

The car is wonderful in snowy conditions!

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"Safe. Reliable. Comfortable. Retains value."

Amazing!!!!!!

By on Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pros: "Handles great, Love the sync system, I look good driving it, inexpensive to maintain."

Cons: "Storage space in the back could be a tad bigger."

"At 5'3", I wanted the flex because it was easier for me to my three kiddos in and out of their car seats without having to climb in like other 7 passenger vehicles. I average almost 20 mpg in town and 25 mpg on the highway. Maintenance is inexpensive and the leg room is plenty big. I get approached by strangers all the time wanting to open the back and take a look. In the summer we have movie nights at the drive in and use the third row seats to face out to watch the movie and for picnics. Fits all three car seats in the second row and has the LATCH bars in the third row (the expedition does not) The sync system is amazing and has saved me from multitasking. We have all of our technology synced with our flex which makes road trips a breeze. The only con I have is my double stroller (biggest and bulkiest you can buy) only fits upright with the front wheels removed in the "trunk" space when the third row is in use. It is a bit of a hassle at times when I am running late and I have to maneuver the stroller just right, but all the pros outweigh the one con by a landslide. I won't have the double stroller for forever, but I will keep my flex for years to come. I love my flex!!!!!!"

Buy the LIMITED model

By on Monday, February 01, 2010

"I traded in my 2005 Ford Freestyle (now called a Taurus X) to purchase a 2009 Ford Flex LIMITED. While looking to buy, I wanted several of the packages offered (Lighting, convenience, etc.). I was looking to buy a loaded SEL and never considered buying a LIMITED. When it was all said and done, I was within $1,000 of the price of a LIMITED. Well, I purchased the LIMITED. This has all of the offered packages, as well as numerous other non-obvious trim features (chromed mirrors, bigger tires and wheels, wood grained trim, chromed lift-gate, and numerous other features). My parked Ford Flex was struck by another vehicle. The Flex suffered major rear end damage. The passenger compartment appeared to be in good condition if my family had been in the vehicle at the time. I have just been told that they have "totaled" my Flex. I was very sad, because I loved this vehicle. I will now go purchase another Ford Flex. And Yes, I will buy another LIMITED."

Love it!!!!

By on Sunday, September 27, 2009

"I recently picked up my 2010 Ford Flex SEL, and so far it has surpassed my expectations, at first i was worried due to the few bad reviews, after all, all cars have a few lemons. But after i picked it up i have been nothing but impressed. The exterior, i love the way it looks, either you love it or hate it... As far as the interior is concerned it is definately a step up for ford. I used to own a 2002 Ford taurus SEL, and this is way better on the inside. I live in germany right now and since i've been here i've been test driving Mercedes benzes(2009 E350) and BMW's(2009 535i)and the interior of the flex is right in line with both of those car company's. I've read reviews where people say the interior is cheaply done, and i don't agree at all. The microsoft sync works beautifly and is completely user friendly, although i can't use all of the functions since i'm overseas now, what i can use i like. The leather seats are lovely, i like how the inside of the seat is a different materiel, a soft leather. The ride is smooth and quiet. My only regret is that i couldn't afford the limited with the Ecoboost and nav system...i really was unsure of whether or not a new ford vehicle would be worth the $45K+ for the limited with all the bells and whistles...but after driving my sel with the convenience package i would def. upgrade in the future. Ford has made it so me and my wife are looking at buying american again...thanks ford."

This is a great crossover vehicle.

By on Friday, November 15, 2013

Pros: "Looks good and has a great presence on the road."

Cons: "We have not found a down side to this vehicle."

"After having Club Wagons, an Excursion and a Explorer this is a very pleasant change. Much easer to drive, park and it rides almost like a car but has the towing and haling capacity of a SUV."

Best Car I've Owned

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Space, Rides Great, Extremely Comfortable"

Cons: "AWD gas mileage"

"I'm a 30 year old married guy, no kids. I bought a used 2009 Flex in 09, my first impression was like many others "ITS UGLY". Then I started looking at other Crossover vehicles, and started to realize how much space and features came with it, as opposed to the competition. I got the Flex limited, with Microsoft Sync, leather interior, no sun roof, because out of all my other cars with them, i never used them. My previous car was a 2005 Chrysler 300. Loved the looks, but had the worst maintenance issues ever. Replaced ball joints and tie rod ends every year. My flex has never had any major issues or repairs in 5 years. I spent $10,000 plus on Chrysler repairs over the 5 years i owned it, and the flex hasn't had any repair costs. Love the space, the backseat has more legroom than my parents Chevy Suburban (i have to turn my legs sideways to get my size 11 feet out the suburban back seat door.) But yes, the Flex is an excellent car, love it, my only complaint, I want a newer one."

Great Vehicle!!

By on Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "nothing"

"This vehicle is very comfortable and reliable. I just finished a 5,800 mile trip with mine with no issues and no back fatigue. Drives and handles very well in comfort,also with plenty 2nd seat leg room, with lots of room for luggage and passengers. I Always get asked about it and gets plenty of compliments."

Can't say enough about this car!!!

By on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

"I come from a 3 generation family of Chrysler employees. I fell in love with this vehicle when they first came out. The 2011 color of Meditteranean Blue is very eye catching and I get tons of comments on the color. I traded a 2006 Chrysler Town and County mini van for this. I would NEVER drive another mini van now that I own this Flex. Best feature is that the spare tire is inside where it belongs even with the third seat. No more cranking it down and reaching past a HOT exhaust to get the spare out."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25