• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2004 Ford F350 Super Duty Super Cab

Based on 613 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

'01 super duty crewcab shortbox srw 7.3-good truck

By on Monday, January 14, 2008

"Had a few issues-I've had were ball-joints at about 130,000 and the steering stabilizer shock disintigrated at about 150,000. The plastic fan cracked somewhere around 140,000 and caused the water pump to go. Changed it myself-not the easiest truck to work on, but all in all it's been good. Starts without being plugged in down to about 0 degrees...anything lower than that you better have some form of heater. Great ride-headlights could be a little better. I've put a grill guard and two sets of aftermarket driving/fog light on to compensate for a bit of a grey spot in the high beams...they throw light out a long ways but don't light up the road directly in front of you as much as I'd like. I've hit 5 deer with mine, and extent of the damage has been that I've had to replace the plastic bumper cover on the front, and re-attach the fog lights. Pulls a 10,000 lb skid steer and 5,000lbs worth of attachments on a trailer respectably. It's GREAT in snow. It's heavy enough to hold the road nice, but it's a little squirrelly on black ice, but not the worst I've driven. The sulfur in the exhaust has done bad things to the paint(discolored/made it fall off) where the factory exhaust pipe exits- I put a slightly longer tip on it and seems to have ended the abuse. Very comfortable and predictable handling. Easy to perform maintenance on(oil/grease/fluids). The only other issue is that the rear doors on the crew cab really like to freeze shut in the winter if you don't use them for a day or two and you leave it outside-not sure what that's about. The last issue I have is that it's near impossible to reach something out of the box from the ground unless it's right on the outside edge. I'm 6'4 and can't reach in much past the wheelwell. One other recommended upgrade is to install a 2" front levelling kit- A simple 'add-a-leaf' is what I went with and it makes a world of difference on the handling in the corners and curvy roads and stiffens the front end a little so it doesn't seem to want to wander as bad. It was less than $100 and not too hard to install. I've put on nearly 90,000 on this truck, and the maintenance issues I mentioned earlier were an expected thing since this truck is used as a truck. Bottom line- if I had the decision to buy this truck over again, I would."

Excellent 6.0L

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, fun to drive, beautiful truck"

Cons: "others are scared of the 6.0L (great engine)"

"Purchase this vehicle new. This truck has never let us down. Wish the 6.0 didnt have a bad rap because this has been the best truck for our family. Everyone (family & friends) enjoys the truck for comfort, looks, reliability. Down fall the KBB value has it valued at about $4k more than what i am unable to sell for."

Good truck

By on Sunday, October 28, 2007

"2002 F350, 7.3L Diesel, Automatic, 4x4 off road, 3.73 ratio axle, single wheel, extended cab. Purchased used with 80,000 miles, cam sensor and injection driver module went out at 95,000 but the Ford warranty coverd the repairs. Otherwise I have had no problems with it. I do all the maintenance myself (oil change, lube, transmission/transfer case service, filters, etc.). The truck has pulled anything I hook it up to, hauls it all, goes anywhere I need to go, has never left me stranded even in the coldest weather(I seldom plug it in and i never park it inside and it can get a little cold here in northern Missouri). I get 18mpg empty and with most loads, it drops to 16 with a 24' goosneck loaded with hay. I drive it like it was meant to be driven, the truck is meant to work, not race(although it will get up and go) I trust this ruck to get me around. It now has 170,000 on it and still running strong, I expect at least 350,000 from my truck."

Most Longest Lasting Truck EVER!!!

By on Sunday, September 14, 2008

"I own a 2003 F-350 with the 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel and we have a pressure lock on the transmission and the engine SUPERCHIPED and it is the best truck ever. It's quiet and has more power than it could ever want. 20MPG towing or not. If you buy a Ford SuperDuty I Strongly Suggest that you put a Pressure Lock on the Torqshift auto transmission beacuse Ford designs them to slip a little for comfort and it eventually ruends the trans. because I had to rebuild my 2000 with the same set up. The lock eliminates the slipping and Gits-R-Done. Thats all I have to say. Other than that it a GREAT TRUCK."

Strong and dependable

By on Saturday, September 22, 2007

"I own two superdutys,99 F-350 diesel and a 01 F-250 V-10, both are strong pulling hardworking rigs, the V-10 has 201,000 miles on it with only normal maintenance, wheel bearing and such. the diesel has 128000 on it and has had the cam sensor replaced at 125000, the diesel has been chipped and out performs my boss chipped 6.0L in both towing and flat out racing hahaha! I use them both for work and play with no complaints. I recommend 7.3Ls to everyone looking for a diesel with out paying new truck pricing."

Two thumbs up

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"I own a 2001 F350 Diesel 4x4! It's a great truck. I would recommend it for towing. Wouldn't by any other type of truck!"

GREAT TRUCK best I ever owned 18mpg

By on Friday, February 07, 2014

"Best truck I ever owned. 7.3 diesel pulls LQ horse trailer and hay trailer. Wished mine was a dually, but they are hard to park and will not fit in some drive thrus. If you take care of this truck it will take care of you. People try to buy these in good shape do to the reliability of the 7.3. In 14 years I have did tires, ball joints and water pumps and hoses. Original ball joints were not grease-able."

I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!

By on Sunday, December 01, 2013

Pros: "Just about everything about this truck rocks."

Cons: "I wish the dually had taller gears (mpg)"

"I didn't need a dually, but this thing presented itself, and it was too good a deal. (I was looking for a crew cab 7.3L long bed.) It had 200,500 miles on it when I bought it. I change the oil at 5000 miles and just about can't get it to use a quart of oil in between. Most will tell you if you want a Ford diesel, the 7.3 is THE DIESEL to get, and I agree. Strong, dependable, and even with 4.10 gears, it gets 18 mpg consistently. I bought the crew cab because I've got three teenagers, and they have plenty of room on a five hour run to the cabin. It's got a REAL back seat. I point this truck up a mountain, and it just wants more. I would look for the XLT. The XLs are often commercial fleet trucks and not treated well. The Lariats are nice, but if that leather hasn't been very well maintained, well, you get the idea. The very first thing to always check is the air filter box clips. if they look loose of broken, walk away. The truck has likely ingested dust for about a $10,000 repair bill. an aftermarket air intake is a must. Don't fear a couple hundred thousand miles, these trucks can take it if they've seen reasonable care. At current values, these are awesome. Powerful, capable, dependable, good looking, and very comfortable. Ford knocked this one out of the park! A shame it wasn't produced longer."

great truck 7.3 best motor

By on Sunday, August 05, 2012

Pros: "great to drive lot's of room"

Cons: "it is hard on fuel"

"i just bought this truck but if it is any thing like my 1999 f350 it will be a great truck, the 7.3 powerstroke engine is a great engine it has been proven for years to be a good motor.i dont understand why they changed to the 6.0 -6.8 they have had alot of trouble with these motors i pray i have the service from this truck as i did my 1999"

I love my truck!! can drive for hrs

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Cons: "wide turning radius, watch the small parking space"

"Comfortable ride 4x4 truck, mileage excellent for my driving habits. 8'bed great for hauling anything. Feel secure-if I'm in an accident, know will come out much better than most new cars. Adjustable gas/brake pedals wonderful for this short grannie!!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford F350 Super Duty Super Cab near Honolulu. See local deals