• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2006 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab

8.4

Based on 470 Ratings for the 2005 - 2007 models.

Had Better

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "Runs smooth, good transmission,"

Cons: "turbo, EGR, head studs, radiator, intercooler, mpg"

"Ok, this truck has been nothing but trouble for me. The 6.0 Powerstroke is a joke. I should've never sold my 7.3! Although the 6.0 runs smoother, when it runs, there are too many things that go wrong with it. I had the truck for 6 weeks and the transmission fluid sending unit went out, which was replaced under warranty. No problems with tranny since. At 110,000 miles the EGR went out 3 times, removed it and installed EGR delete kit. Next was the head gasket which left me stranded on the side of the road with my boat in tow. Tow cost around $700 from Nacogdoches, TX to Houston. To replace the heads, radiator, intercooler, new head gasket, ARP head bolts plus labor was around $8,000. Have replaced #6 injector twice and #7 once. Injection Control Pressure regulator replaced twice. And the fuel mileage is 12-16 at best."

Great Truck

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Pros: "Great truck, Dependable."

Cons: "MPG gets about 12 - 15 mpg city & 18 highway"

"Have had NO problem with this truck! As a former diesel mechanic I do the maintenance myself. New updated oil cooler, new updated egr cooler. Oil and coolant bypass filters. Transmission is strong, never any problem starting or running, I haul heavy loads from time to time cross country, NO problems. I corrected all the weak links as listed above including blue spring upgrade for fuel pressure. So far have not had any head gasket problems but i dont race the truck either. The 6.0L diesel is a good engine if properly maintained. I run Rotella synthetic T-6 oil (5 W 40)in engine. flush cooling system and refill with fresh ford GOLD collant every 2 years, and keep by pass filters changed every other 2nd oil change. Maintenance is the key!! These upgrades should have been paid for by International or Ford as well as the stretched head bolt problem. This is expensive to have to pay to have it done! In my case it was my time and the cost of the materials, still expensive!"

Awesome truck

By on Thursday, February 26, 2009

"This was my second F250, my first being an '04. The truck is very strong, and tows my 34ft. 10k fifth wheel camper like it's not even there. Transmission is smooth and tight. Powerstroke engine is also smooth, although louder than it's competitors. My only complaint with the drive train is the turbo-lag; the powerstroke doesn't make much power at all until the turbo spools up. Once it does, though... look out! The truck is definitely a well-built truck. The heavy frame soaks up the bumps with no shimmy. The interior is nice looking although some pieces don't seem to fit together properly. It does take a 40 acre field to turn this baby around, much more than my new truck (Dodge 2500). The mileage is okay; 12 in town and almost 20 hwy if I go real slow. If you want a strong, heavy truck for real towing, I don't think you can beat it. My only other complaint is the cruise control is the worst I have ever seen. It was the same in my 04 F250. You may be going 5 miles an hour faster or slower than your set speed at any given time, and no, that's not towing; that's an empty truck. If you set it climbing a hill on the interstate and let off the fuel you will get run over, then you will burn 3 gallons of diesel to get back to your set speed and well beyond. It's a pain and it shouldn't be that way in a 50k truck. But despite these minor aggravations, I would buy another one (but only with lots of incentives)."

Great Overall Truck

By on Monday, September 10, 2007

"I held out for the '05 model to get the newer interior/exterior, Tow Command system, updated suspension and other improvements. I am glad I did. This Crew Cab Lariat Long Box is my everyday family driver, along with my work truck in one package. We take it on family trips as it is comfortable and we feel safe in the "beast". The ride is firm, but not abrasive (as a truck should be). The fuel mileage is increasing as the miles increase. It ran great stock and runs even better with a mild tuner (with safety features), exhaust and intake kitI have never got less than 13.5 MPG (empty/city) and now am up to 14.75 MPG consistently (empty/city). HWY MPG ranges from 16.5-19 MPG and towing our 30' travel tralier yields an average of 10 MPG, while pulling it effortlessly. It pulls strong and is quiet, especially when on the HWY at cruising speeds. The automatic tranny and Tow Command System works flawlessy and is the smoothest trailer break setup I have ever used. I feel the TorqueShift tranny is comporable to the Chevy Allison transmission. I have had none of the problems associated with the earlier 6.0L models, only a couple of minor things that never left me stranded and were effortlessly taken care of under warranty. Very few complaints on this truck; I found the white paint chips easily (compared to my last Ford), despite keeping excellent care of the truck (very little time off-road). Quality is very good overall, but would expect when paying this kind of money for a truck they would be completely flawless. Overall, it's a great truck that I plan to drive for 15 more years. All fluids are changed out to synthetic and I look forward to many more years that the truck will be part of the family, trouble free. I feel these Ford's are the best looking trucks and still have the most rigid undercarriage of any other full size truck on the market and would highly recommend one to others."

Great Truck for everything, work, family, etc!!!

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Roomy, reliability, looks"

Cons: "wish better gas milage"

"This is my everyday truck, I work in an office so I didn't need such a big truck but I wanted it. I am very happy I got it. Plenty of room for family. Makes things easy when traveling. Much better gas milage than gas trucks. Great for mountains and beach. Only draw back is sometimes parking garages are just a little to small for this truck to fit into."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab near Honolulu. See local deals