1998 Ford F150 Super Cab

Based on 1053 Ratings for the 1997 - 2000 models.

great truck

By on Friday, January 8, 2010

"260000 miles and still running great, heater core is only major repair $800 at dealer,,back window leaked for last 10 yrs"

After 14 years running good - showing age.

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, tough, wears well."

Cons: "Rear window is terrible and seats are poor."

"Over all has been a good truck. Front wheel bearings replaced, should have done earlier. Affected tire wear. Wear on buttons and interior good. Negatives: Rear sliding window has leaked for years due to poor Ford design - should have been recalled. I hate the seats. Can never get comfortable - back of seat is the issue. I would buy another Ford - Car or Truck."

97 ford f-150

By on Sunday, January 31, 2010

"reliable, v-6 engine plenty of power, big interior,quiet,great ai conditioning,rate a a+ .also it gets 21 m.p. gallon which is great for a full size truck.106,000 miles and many more to go.WHY PAY TOYOTA PRICE FOR PARTS .STICK WITH REAL QUALITY.FORD CHEVY OR DODGE."

"Built Ford Tough" is right

By on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"Bought the truck brand new. Fell in love with it ever since then. I have worked it hard and maiteained it well. Driven over 182,000 miles on it so far without any major mechanical failure. The engine (4.6 litre) hasn't missed a beat. I've hauled 2000 ilbs over 500 miles with no noticeable damage to the truck. The engine doesn't burn any oil. The power of the engine is exactly the same when I bought it new. The gas mielage for a V-8 truck is the best in its class. Can't go wrong with this vehicle. I get it now, the reason the F150 has been the best selling truck model now for over 40 years."

Good vehicle

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "gas prices are a little high."

"Bought vehicle and was very happy with it. I am unable to get in any longer. Forced to change vehicles and want to recommend this one for anyone."

Work truck, turned to casual driver

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Reason: Moved to the city

Pros: "lots of power, comfortable, feels big but not f350"

Cons: "MPG, 100k maintenence"

"I originally bought the '97 FX4 extended cab for a lawn mowing business, and after selling the business, kept the truck because of how much I liked it. I owned it from 111k to 126k, and did the first spark plug change and coil replacement, not cheap ($850) but standard maintenance doesn't need to be discounted. 4x4 was not super-reliable in the cold weather (10 degrees F and below), but was a $150 fix. I love the 5.4, and wish it had better mileage than my typical 13-15 mpg, but that baby was fun EVERY time you stepped on the gas. This truck was great at towing, and very stable and capable for larger double-axle trailers; though I mostly towed single axle ATV-style trailers. Sold it when I moved to LA for work. I regret it."

wont be surprised if it makes it to 300k

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable and strong"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I bought this truck for 5k in 2005 with 175k but it already had a new transmission. I replaced the ball joints, #4 coil and a new intake thats it and this truck just won't quit. You can load a scoop of sand on it one day and take it from So Cal to Vegas the next, no problem. And it is such a comfortable ride. Has never let me down."

An Amazing Truck

By on Friday, April 19, 2013

Pros: "When you need speed you got it! Power to spare."

Cons: "gas mileage not so great, but never a concern"

"I bought this truck new in 1998 in Decatur, Al at a dealer that is no longer there. I traded in a Chevy Scottsdale pickup due to excessive mechanical difficulties and not really knowing much about Ford trucks. I have now been driving my F-150 back and forth from Birmingham to Huntsville on a regular basis for many years and it has never broken down. It has been the best and most reliable truck one could ever imagine and i would not hesitate to recommend a Ford pickup to anyone. I hate to give it up but am going to by a new F-150 within the next month."

1999 Ford F150 XLT Triton V8 5.4

By on Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"Honestly i love this truck! it has been very dependable no major problems. When i first bought the truck i was iffy so to speak due to my past experience with Ford vehicles. The truck turned out to be great it had the check engine light on and was fixed within days just some minor air leaks. overall the parts i have added are CAI, Dual 15 Electric fans, 33 MT tires, alpine deck with all new alpine speakers with 2 Kicker CVR and 3000 watt mono. also had fuel economy tune with a DSC chip so instead of the 11 MPG i get about 17 in town which is fantastic for a full size truck with a v8 and 4x4"

Best value and reliability vehicle I ever bought

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, fuel consumption, comfort"

Cons: "A little clumsy in the parking lot."

"A reliable vehicle that seldom needs anything. My v6 5-speed is great on gas for its size and has plenty of power to do any normal task. My first set of tires lasted 160,000 miles. It didn't need spark plugs until after 150,000 miles, and the factory battery lasted 12 years (!). It's not like I never asked the truck to do anything, either. I've hauled loads of furniture, firewood, and other things sometimes hundreds of miles. Among the things that I've never had to service are: clutch/transmission exhaust system rear end Ford might equal the overall value of this truck, but they will never surpass it."

best vehicle I ever owned

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pros: "just keeps going and going"

"this truck is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, just keeps going"

I can depend on it leaving me stranded

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable to sit in while waiting for a tow"

Cons: "Not reliable"

"I've been a long loyal ford man but this truck changed my mind! I bought the truck with 7,000 miles on it and got a great deal, $10,000 in 2001. at 10,000 miles the transmission went out. At 28,000 miles the front end needed totally rebuilt. At 30,000 miles the transmission went out again, and I bought an extended warranty. at 40,000 miles the oil pump went out and the front end needed rebuilt again. At 49,000 miles the shift solenoid went out in the transmission. Then at 94,000 miles the engine went out. Now at 114,000 miles it needs a new injector and the front end rebuilt again. I guess I was spoiled by my Rainger i owned before the F-150. it gave me 285,000 miles needing little more than oil changes, brakes, and a coupple of clutches."

AWESOME

By on Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pros: "Very Dependable"

Cons: "Gas Cost"

"Only had to do regular maintenance. After owning a chevy before this Ford , I will always be a FORD GIRL"

Very Reliable

By on Sunday, October 30, 2011

"Have had this truck 14 years. Never left me stranded. Runs well with normal maintenance. Would buy another. Plan on getting a new one when this hits 200k."

Love this truck!

By on Monday, October 3, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "needs latchdowns for carseats in the backseat."

"We got this truck in 09 and have never looked back. This truck is so wonderful, comfortable to ride in and performs great. The only thing I find a pain is that although it fits 6 people comfortably, it is a tight squeeze when 2 are in carseats. Overall this truck is very dependable and we love it!"

my ford

By on Sunday, May 23, 2010

"I bought my 98 f-150 with 16400 miles on it in 06 my first truck. its 2wd long bed. i had to put a starter, idle pulley, gas tank strap, and cab corners on it. i got 222,000 miles on it now( hard miles). those years the rust is bad but i did body work and put acceseries on it and took a plain jane truck to a stylie sharp looking truck. the motor does not use oil and great porformance had good luck and no complaints."

Very Reliable

By on Friday, February 26, 2010

"This vehicle I bought new in 2000. I have only had to do the normal oil changes, a coupld of headlights, and 2 sets of tires. That is it! Very reliable!"

By on Friday, February 26, 2010

"I really liked my truck. Its had some exhaust issues. Ford used studs instead of bolts and they tend to break off along with some rusting. (living in high salt rust belt area doesnt help) Been a dependable truck for what i've paid and put into it."

Built Ford Tough is True!

By on Thursday, January 21, 2010

"I have a 2000 Ford f-150 XLT 4.6. Best vehicle ever owned! All original parts with the exception of 1 spark plug and normal maintenance (brake pads, oil/trans change). 144,000 miles on this vehicle and still runs strong. Has never broke down on the side of the road and it sure has towed alot. You can take your chance on another auto company or stick with the built ford tough. I'll match my good old Ford truck to a another any day of the week! P.S. This vehicle is driven at the Ford Testing Grounds in 120 degree heat daily and has never once over heated."

1999 F-150 5.4 liter

By on Monday, February 2, 2009

"Frequent mechanical problems including all four doors rusting at the hem seam, head gasket (oil) leaks both sides, failure of ignition modules and failure of the front differential seal. At 50 k, non-fixable rear wheel misalignment. Historically, this engine pits spark plugs with the cost to check the plugs between three and four hundred."

Great truck

By on Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"This has been a great truck. Super reliable, easy to drive."

Goin' Strong!

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"I've owned this truck for 6 years and its still just as beautiful as the day I bought it. Dependable, stylish, comfortable. The ride feels like a smooth jet plane, never feel the bumps. Of course I have Dunlop Touring Rovers on it, but even still. It now has 170,000 miles and shows no signs of problems. Use it to tow, haul, over long distances, sometimes driving it for 14 hours straight. Highly recommend this truck."

One of my best

By on Thursday, May 22, 2008

"Great vehicle. Have had little with this truck. Time to move on and get another one."

Most trouble-free vehicle I've ever owned

By on Saturday, December 15, 2007

"I'll start off by stating that I am not a Ford loyal person, in fact this is the first Ford vehicle I have owned in over 30 years of driving. This has also been the most reliable, trouble-free vehicle I have ever owned. So reliable and solid/tight that I keep it despite no longer needing a pickup truck. Pros: Solid and tight body and handling. No rattles and overall tight feel. The ride and driving do not show the age and miles of this 8 year old truck. I know it will start and get me where I want to go in comfort with more than ample power for merging into freeway traffic. The 4 wheel disc brakes stop the vehicle well. Cons: Fuel economy with the Triton 5.4L engine is dreadful - 13MPG on average with reasonable driving habits and the 3.31 highway axle ratio. Note that my driving is a mix of city and hwy commute. Honestly, I can't think of any other negative worth mentioning. I do understand the 4.6L engine returns far better economy. Overall I could not be happier. As I stated above, I no longer need a pickup truck and could switch back to a car. Yet this truck has been so reliable and feels so solid for it's age and miles (115K) that I keep it. Plus when you're 6' plus and wear larger than average shoes, you appreciate the headroom, legroom length and width. Would I recommend this vehicle to a friend? Absolutely! As a matter of fact, I have friends waiting for the day I sell this truck so they can buy it."

Love Mine.

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"I bought my 97 in 2006 76k, already 10 years old. I love it. Ride quality for a long wheel base makes up for the lack of power. I drive it really hard, but I maintain it equally. I have replaced the lower ball joints, wheel bearings, 1 front hub, plugs and wires, front brakes, and rebuilt the transmission. Most were problems from lack of maintenance by original owner. I have no complaints about the motor except the lack of HP. But, there is alot of bolt ons to fix that, for cheap. Regular maintenance is the key for any ford truck."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford F150 Super Cab near Honolulu. See local deals