• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

1997 Ford F150 Super Cab

Based on 1034 Ratings for the 1997 - 2000 models.

10 years and still love it!

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "Strong engine, reliable, fun to drive, great 4WD"

Cons: "Bad gas mileage, rusts easily, stereo is so-so"

"My parents bought this truck in 2002 when it was a little over 2 years old; it has given us no problems and can tow way more than the rating is for. We use this truck for EVERYTHING! Sadly, it only gets 14.5mpg the way i drive it and i think it is time that it goes. I really love this truck; however driving 75 miles a day to and from work i cannot afford to fill it up 1-2 times a week. If your looking for an affordable, reliable pickup that does everything you want and more I would recommend this truck. We currently have this f150, a 2008 fusion, a 1998 explorer, a 1990 mustang and a 2004 crown victoria and love them all. Never had any problems with any of them. I am considering trading this truck in now just because it wont be worth much soon. Atm the tail gate is pretty rusty and the doors are rusting a bit, another thing is that the bed mount on the right side is fairly rusty so watch out for that. Other than that this truck is amazing. I hate to see it go but in the future I hope to get an ecoboost f150 or a diesel super duty. Because of this truck I will always love ford. Thanks again ford; your the best!"

great truck

By on Friday, January 08, 2010

"260000 miles and still running great, heater core is only major repair $800 at dealer,,back window leaked for last 10 yrs"

old hickory

By on Thursday, March 06, 2008

"I've owned my 1998 F-150 XLT (4.6L V8 2WD)since 9/04. It gets me to work and back and I use it to go on camping, skiing, and boating trips. It seats 6 people and we can throw all of our stuff for a weekend in the bed, and pulls a small runabout all at once. I was towing the boat with a small Nissan pickup before and this truck does it so much better I forget I have the boat behind me. It handles well in the snow but I was weaned on very lightweight vehicles. I was able to talk the dealer down 20% from asking on the last day of 3Q. I had to play pretty good hardball with the salesman, who wouldn't budge at all 2 weeks earlier. I ended up dealing directly with the sales manager over the phone. 50,000 miles when I bought it and I put 40,000 more on it. I do my own oil changes (very easy with this truck) and that's been all the maintenance required. I have been having a misfire in the #4 cylinder recently that is attributed to a small amount of coolant dripping on the spark plug and causing a small short I believe. I go in periodically and pull the boot off and try to clena it up the best I can. I'll probably have a professional fix it as I suspect this is a common problem. The truck has been running with this for several months. It's probably just a matter of replacing the hose on the heater core, which was bad engineering IMO to have it positioned where it is over the passenger side cylinder nearest to the cab. I plan on driving the truck until it falls apart, love it!"

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"I have almost 180,000 miles on my truck and I haven't had to do any major repairs. It's comfortable enough for long highway trips and the four wheel drive can take me almost anywhere. I've never had any problems with it starting and Iv'e gotten 18+ m.p.g. a few times. I've had it for over four years and will probably have it for four more. And it was used when I got it."

"Built Ford Tough" is right

By on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"Bought the truck brand new. Fell in love with it ever since then. I have worked it hard and maiteained it well. Driven over 182,000 miles on it so far without any major mechanical failure. The engine (4.6 litre) hasn't missed a beat. I've hauled 2000 ilbs over 500 miles with no noticeable damage to the truck. The engine doesn't burn any oil. The power of the engine is exactly the same when I bought it new. The gas mielage for a V-8 truck is the best in its class. Can't go wrong with this vehicle. I get it now, the reason the F150 has been the best selling truck model now for over 40 years."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford F150 Super Cab near Honolulu. See local deals