• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2002 Ford F150 Regular Cab

Based on 1358 Ratings for the 2001 - 2003 models.

best truck ever

By on Sunday, March 01, 2009

"this has been the best truck i have owned yet. yes had to do minor repairs and do the tranny in it at 187,000 miles but i also haul alot of heavy things with it. put a new intake gasket and all the coil packs, brakes, things like that but i would buy another one like this in a heartbeat. Im really thinking about trading in my 05 chevy 1500hd 4door in on another on like this one. i now have 200,000miles on this truck and despite the things i've done to it, it has been a wonderful truck. i bought it with 110,000 miles and has been great every since......the 4wheel drive works like new and have never had a problem with it specially in the mud at work or pulling other things truck rund like new again and sounds really cool...."

2001 was a good year for some things... like this

By on Saturday, January 05, 2013

Pros: "Rides like a Lincoln. Captain's seats. Comfortab"

Cons: "Parallel parking. Otherwise, no cons."

"I hardly ever see a used 2001 Ford F150 for sale. Reason? It was an excellent year for Ford and they built reliable trucks. I have replaced the starter and the heater core recently, but otherwise I have spent no money on this vehicle except normal expenses that apply to any vehicle. I purchased knobby snow tires that get me through PA winters. A flick of the wrist and I am in four-wheel drive. Decent gas mileage. Comfortable."

Good truck - Do your research though

By on Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Pros: "True work horse, rather easy to maintain"

Cons: "Blow out plugs"

"The 2001 F-150 is a great truck to own. It's rather easy to maintain and has a good life if you keep up with the preventative maintenance. The cab is comfortable; although, it is nothing like the cab of new truck. There are flaws with this truck that any informed buyer should research before buying one. The biggest flaw is that Ford designed the spark plugs with only 5 threads. This led to these trucks being know to have "blowout plugs" given their tendency to blow out over time. If they blow out you are faced with either having the hole retapped and having them sleeved (the cheap way to fix it) or buying new heads (the pricey way to fix it). There are aftermarket sleeves that extend the threading as well as aftermarket heads that have deeper threads, but unless you are extremely familiar with mechanics I wouldn't suggest trying either of these options. Given that the plugs are recessed in the valve covers, plug 4 and plug 8 can be exceptionally hard to get to. They are also prone to snapping off given the angle that a wrench is typically held to change them. If you take it in for a tuneup to save yourself effort, you're looking at about $450. If you change the plugs yourself, it is imperative that you use a torque wrench to torque them down properly. Over-torquing or under-torquing the plugs is an almost guaranteed way to have a blow out plug. Even with this flaw, it's still a good truck that has served me and my family exceptionally well. Parts are easy to find and pretty cheap now. Given the amount of these trucks out there, you can also easily find replacement parts at a junkyard if you wish. I would make sure to ask if the plugs have ever blown out before you buy one though. If they have blown before be extremely thorough on your questioning of how it was repaired. Sloppy repairs are likely to lead to another blow out. Anything from 1999-2004 may potentially have this design."

Heavy puller

By on Sunday, July 05, 2009

"The truck pulls well with the 4.2 lt v6. Paint is very durable and cleans well. A/C blows cold and is very quick to cool. Truck picks up speed well. Never had any mechanical problems with vehickle in 84000 miles. Stereo is ok and works well. Lighting at night is very visable"

Best truck ever

By on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pros: "Everything about this truck. Big, roomy, tough,"

Cons: "Kinda bumper ride in the backseat. Tolerable"

"I own a Ford F-150 Lariat it has 300000 miles and still runs like a champ. Minor maintenance repairs... to be expected. Overall not bad. I love my truck. No complaints. I'll trade in my husband before I trade my truck. My name is Theresa and I approve this message!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford F150 Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals