• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

1998 Ford F150 Regular Cab

Based on 1039 Ratings for the 1997 - 2000 models.

Best Truck Ever!

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"My father bought this truck brand new in 1998 and the ONLY major problem was the manifold bolts rotting off, which is a very common problem. I have always loved the truck so he gave it to me when he got his next truck (the only reason for this being he needed more seating). This truck has never broken down on the side of the road even while it has been used hard by an avid outdoors man and contractor for 14 years. It has great off road capabilities and towing power, yet still handles well. The engine never fails to start and the transmission never slips or grinds even on fast take offs with a boat trailer and a bed filled to the cap with hunting and fishing supplies. The only downfall of this great vehicle is obviously the gas mileage of the 5.4 liter V8. But all in all this is a REAL truck and not for people who are overly concerned with gas mileage."

Amazing Truck!

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Great day to day truck"

Cons: "mpg"

"This truck has done exactly what i have needed it too, from pulling my boat to the boat launch to taking a bob cat to the work site it has never let me down. I drive it everyday and there hasnt been a day it left me sitting with my hand on the phone calling AAA! I would probably buy another truck like this from 97-04 there a great work/ recreational vehicle that will do the work and let ya have a little fun with out having a hissy fit."

I love my truck

By on Sunday, May 18, 2008

"This is my third F-150 ever owned, 2nd 4X4. I've owned it for over 8 years and I love this truck!! It has never left me stranded, even when little things go wrong. I am a big believer in NOT taking it to the dealer UNLESS I can't figure it out and fix it. That has been easy because it really hasn't given me any trouble that I could fix. The biggest problem was the Idle Air Controller @ 100K miles. Truck wouldn't idle at all. $42 part at Auto Zone. (**No check engine light for this**) Had to look in my Haynes Manual. Had two coils go bad at 108K (#1 and #3) both were easy to diagnose with Advance Auto Parts' help and the free scan of the check engine light. $109 at Ford for each, $57 at Advanced Auto Parts. Would cost $126 to do diagnostics at the dealership. I am not stupid. I do my research first. Rear posi clutch packs made noise at 10K and had rebuilt by Ford at no charge. "Multifuction switch" replaced due to recall. Windshield frame repaired due to "missing piece from the factory". Cause water to collect and leak in on my feet. Other than that, I can't complain. My truck has been overloaded in towing and payload capacity and took it in stride. It's been to the floor boards in mud and airborne a couple of times about 3-5 feet. It's been coast to coast TWICE at 85mph and not even a hiccup. Not that great on gas, but hey, it's a 4X4 truck and I'm not about to give it up."

BEST RELIABLE TRUCK I HAVE EVER OWNED

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

"I BOUGHT A 98 F 150 TO START OF MY PARTY RENTAL BUSSINESS THE ONLY BAD PART IT WAS SALVAGE TITLE BUT FOR 3,000 IT WAS A GOOD INVESTMENT VERY RELIABLE DEPENDENT AND BUILD TOUGH AND ITS STILL GOING STRONG.I WASN'T A FAN OF FORD BUT WITH THIS TRUCK I TOTALLY CHANGE MY MIND."

10 years and still love it!

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "Strong engine, reliable, fun to drive, great 4WD"

Cons: "Bad gas mileage, rusts easily, stereo is so-so"

"My parents bought this truck in 2002 when it was a little over 2 years old; it has given us no problems and can tow way more than the rating is for. We use this truck for EVERYTHING! Sadly, it only gets 14.5mpg the way i drive it and i think it is time that it goes. I really love this truck; however driving 75 miles a day to and from work i cannot afford to fill it up 1-2 times a week. If your looking for an affordable, reliable pickup that does everything you want and more I would recommend this truck. We currently have this f150, a 2008 fusion, a 1998 explorer, a 1990 mustang and a 2004 crown victoria and love them all. Never had any problems with any of them. I am considering trading this truck in now just because it wont be worth much soon. Atm the tail gate is pretty rusty and the doors are rusting a bit, another thing is that the bed mount on the right side is fairly rusty so watch out for that. Other than that this truck is amazing. I hate to see it go but in the future I hope to get an ecoboost f150 or a diesel super duty. Because of this truck I will always love ford. Thanks again ford; your the best!"

great truck

By on Friday, January 08, 2010

"260000 miles and still running great, heater core is only major repair $800 at dealer,,back window leaked for last 10 yrs"

old hickory

By on Thursday, March 06, 2008

"I've owned my 1998 F-150 XLT (4.6L V8 2WD)since 9/04. It gets me to work and back and I use it to go on camping, skiing, and boating trips. It seats 6 people and we can throw all of our stuff for a weekend in the bed, and pulls a small runabout all at once. I was towing the boat with a small Nissan pickup before and this truck does it so much better I forget I have the boat behind me. It handles well in the snow but I was weaned on very lightweight vehicles. I was able to talk the dealer down 20% from asking on the last day of 3Q. I had to play pretty good hardball with the salesman, who wouldn't budge at all 2 weeks earlier. I ended up dealing directly with the sales manager over the phone. 50,000 miles when I bought it and I put 40,000 more on it. I do my own oil changes (very easy with this truck) and that's been all the maintenance required. I have been having a misfire in the #4 cylinder recently that is attributed to a small amount of coolant dripping on the spark plug and causing a small short I believe. I go in periodically and pull the boot off and try to clena it up the best I can. I'll probably have a professional fix it as I suspect this is a common problem. The truck has been running with this for several months. It's probably just a matter of replacing the hose on the heater core, which was bad engineering IMO to have it positioned where it is over the passenger side cylinder nearest to the cab. I plan on driving the truck until it falls apart, love it!"

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"I have almost 180,000 miles on my truck and I haven't had to do any major repairs. It's comfortable enough for long highway trips and the four wheel drive can take me almost anywhere. I've never had any problems with it starting and Iv'e gotten 18+ m.p.g. a few times. I've had it for over four years and will probably have it for four more. And it was used when I got it."

"Built Ford Tough" is right

By on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"Bought the truck brand new. Fell in love with it ever since then. I have worked it hard and maiteained it well. Driven over 182,000 miles on it so far without any major mechanical failure. The engine (4.6 litre) hasn't missed a beat. I've hauled 2000 ilbs over 500 miles with no noticeable damage to the truck. The engine doesn't burn any oil. The power of the engine is exactly the same when I bought it new. The gas mielage for a V-8 truck is the best in its class. Can't go wrong with this vehicle. I get it now, the reason the F150 has been the best selling truck model now for over 40 years."

Incredible Truck

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"I bought this 99 Ford F-150 new & love it! I have done maintenance, replaced battery & alternater. It has never failed me & @ 143K is still very reliable. I even haul a horse trailer with it. It looks almost new, I am always getting compliments on it. It does not ride as smooth as a Chevy or Tundra, but is perfect otherwise. As they say, it is built Ford tough!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford F150 Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals