2014 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $35,735 - $36,909.

10/7.3

8.0

Based on 175 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Best SUV Ever I was a Dodgeman and now i love Ford

By on Saturday, April 25, 2015

Pros: "Great value , fun to drive, great ride"

Cons: "none love it"

"I have driven my explorer day to day and from coast to coast recently and it was a pleasure the millage got was way over the rated millage and the ride and room and handling was awesome. I previously had a Durango and i wont go back the dependability of the explorer over the Durango is no contest. This is a great value and a even better driver."

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pros: "Rides great, easy to handle, easy to park"

Cons: "Gas Milage is not what EPA claims"

"Only complaint is use of SYNC system."

This explorer will WOW you !

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "technology. not any other suv offers more tech."

Cons: "i would like push button AWD."

"I absolutely love my new explorer. the 2013 is awesome. I am a tech freak. i love its connectivity. you can make a phone call without ever lifting your hands. everything is voice activated. you can talk to it and make it do anything from giving you a weather report to changing the cabin temp to putting in a destination on gps... to selecting a given genre of music...this suv has more technology in it then any other suv...and i looked at them all from bmw to cadillac to lexus to chevy and kia. the seats are so comfortable ! do yourself a favor and at least consider one... you'll regret it if you don't. i bought the 2013 ford explorer fully loaded XLT ( I PAID 36K on 41k sticker price...x-plan member) and i am thrilled that i did... it just has so much bang for your buck. im currently AVERAGING 20.5mpg. i am happy with that compared to other suvs on the market."

Great Styling, and Functionality

By on Monday, September 19, 2011

Pros: "Great style, fun to drive, great gas mileage for a mid-size suv, extra safety features"

Cons: "pricey"

"After doing a considerable amount of research, I decided on the Ford Explorer for the following reasons: 1) Technology options - I wanted a car that had voice, and touchscreen capability, as well as Bluetooth, A/V, and iPhone compatibility. 2) Safety Features - A key selling point was the Blindspot indicator system, rear inflatable seat belts for the safety of children, and seniors, as well as front, and side impact air bags 3) Styling - The 2011/2012 Ford Explorer has an aggressive style profile that sets it apart from other SUV's in it's class. Rather than smooth rounded contouring, the Explorer sports a more angular style, especially the front end. 4) Fuel Economy - Best in Class Fuel Economy - FWD 17/25 - Interestingly enough, I've actually gotten better hwy mpg, than the stated 25 mpg."

Great vehicle for a small family

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "A looker both inside and out. Fun to drive."

Cons: "Tad bit expensive. Not the ideal family vehicle."

"After owning my 2013 Explorer XLT for the past 12 months here are my reviews; OUTSIDE: PROS: The body style, though three years old now, still surprises some people when they find out it's a Ford Explorer. Great design upgrade Ford! The ride is smooth and the wind noise is kept to a minimum for an SUV. CONS: The seemingly wider body can be a challenge to park in narrow parking lot spaces. The body panels are rounded to where you aren't sure if you are going to hit a vehicle while parking. I've gotten use to it but my wife absolutely hates it. The door panels are large and allow road grime and water inside them but the seals keep it out of the cabin. It's more of a cosmetic thing since the only thing it affects is the appearance when you open the doors. Doesn't offer power folding mirrors. These are becoming popular here in the United States (have been STANDARD on all vehicles manufactured in Japan since 1996) and are very nice when parking in parking lots or "two car" garages (since we all know that two car garages will only fit two compact cars). ELECTRICAL: PROS: I really like the My Ford Touch system and have not had any issues with it. There have been two upgrades that have come out this year but I've never had any issues with my system. (Note that I do NOT own the Navigation system that seems to give others issues) I really enjoy the touch screen and the touch responses are pretty quick. There is a lot there, in particular with the Climate controls, but what touch system now a days isn't. The ability to keep the dash readout clean by allowing you to scroll though different gauge settings and views is a plus as well. Rear view camera is a blessing since the field of view outside the back window isn't very large. CONS: The headlights tend to cause other drivers to flash their lights at you because they think you have your brights on. I'm not a big fan of these type of lights because they concentrate the light and therefore either you can see whats there or you can't. There is a defined line of light that limits your night vision. Inside the line of light you see what's there. Outside the line, you don't! In my opinion, this can be very dangerous. Power driver and passenger seats are nice but a bit on the slow side. Speed these up a bit. With the XLT model there are no seat memory settings offered. INTERIOR ROOM: PROS: The seating is nice and offers room for seven. The third row seat is a nice addition as well. CONS: The third row seating takes away leg room from the back seat passengers and the third row seating is really meant for young children so "technically" you can fit seven, but five of those seven better be young children for comfort reasons. The third row is accessible via a flip up back seat on the passenger side only since the back seat is a 60/40 bench (unless you opt for the captain chairs). In my case, I have two young children in forward facing booster seats and a baby in a rear facing car seat. Because of the third row seating moving the back seats forward, YOU CAN NOT PUT A REAR FACING CHILD SEAT BEHIND THE DRIVER OR PASSENGER SEATS WITHOUT HAVING THOSE SEATS IN A MORE FORWARD POSITION THAN WHAT WOULD BE COMFORTABLE. To help you picture this, I am 5'9" and my daughter's rear facing car seat would not fit behind my seat without my knees hugging the dashboard. A rear facing seat will however fit in the middle of the bench seat just fine with both front seats in a normal position. If you have two children (twins maybe) this would not be a good fit for you. The XLT trim level does NOT offer power adjustable gas and brake pedals. However it does try to compensate for this by offering a manual adjustable steering wheel that you can extend or retract based on your arm length needs. Not a big fan of this limitation since my wife's Expedition has power adjustable pedals and she is rather a bit height challenged. POWER: PROS: The 3.5L V-6 is very adequate for everyday driving duties however I wouldn't want to tow much with it. According to my system checks, I average 19.5 MPG which is pleasantly nice for an SUV. CONS: If you are going to offer a tow package, offer a V-8 OR make the 3.5L Twin-Turbo V-6 an option for every trim level and NOT JUST the Explorer Sport trim."

Loved it at first, not so much now!

By on Monday, July 23, 2012

Pros: "Exterior is a nice looking"

Cons: "Software issues, Rattles, Road Noise"

"My Limited 2011 Ford Exp ended up in the shop twice within the first two months (software crash which disabled the radio, navigation, A/C and center screen). Getting ready to go back after only a year for rattles. The first 6 months in the SUV was nice (other than the software going out twice...now the road noise is like a 5 year old used up car. The glove box and the center console is rattling enough to bring the SUV for the 3rd time. Love the way the exterior looks, but that's about all I like about this SUV now after owning it a year. Definately not happy with spending 42,000 and having it in the shop 2 times for softward issues, going in for a recall and will be brought in for the rattles. Ugh."

Outstanding ride, comfort and handling

By on Sunday, November 04, 2012

Pros: "Great SUV for the price."

Cons: "No arm rests on the 2nd row bucket seats."

"We traded a 2008 Toyota Higlander Limited, loaded for the new 2013 Explorer. My wife drove it as a comparison to a Cadillac XRS and GMC Acadia Denali. The Ford wowed her on ride, handling and safety features. We haven't had any computer issues (at least not yet) and the only thing I noticed upon delivery was a few paint chip flaws which the dealer will fix. The Explorer Limited is loaded (except for DVD) which we never used on the Toyota once the grandkids grew into cell phones and ipads. Would highly recommend you test drive one before deciding on a new vehicle. We're averaging around 18 mpg in town since purchase with the 3.5 V6."

Love my new Explorer

By on Monday, May 07, 2012

Pros: "Style, Interior Space, Features, Tech Toys, Safety"

Cons: "Uncomfortable Driver Seat, Sluggish Acceleration"

"I've owned my Explorer for 3 weeks and love it. For starters it looks beautiful both inside and out. It's loaded with tech toys and offers lots of cool features. My fuel economy has been averaging about 19mpg for my XLT V6,4WD....so it's performing slightly better than Ford stated on the sticker :) Interior cabin is spacious for the driver and passenger. Rear and third row seats are adequate. Trunk space is tremendous. On the down side, I've found the driver seat to be a little uncomfortable. Also, acceleration from a stop is sluggish when compared to the Ford Edge that I traded. Overall, I'm very happy and would recommend this vehicle. I was also considering the Jeep Grand Cherokee, and know I made the right choice with the Explorer!"

2014 EXPLORER SPORT - AWESOME

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, quick, attention grabber"

Cons: "people think i'm a cop, wish radio went louder"

"Awesome car! This is my first SUV I've had and i love it. I feel the right height is perfect. Not too low, and not to high. I dont feel like i'm going to rip my pants when trying to get in like I feel when i'm getting in my buddy's F-150 (no step), yet its high enough to see the road and feel confident while driving. the interior provides options for different interior configurations and it seemed to work perfectly for the one road trip i've had so far. when i first bought the car i though it was a big sluggish than expected. However, I have about 4,000 miles on it now and it seems to be getting quicker everyday and its now about the level i expected it to be. (love hovering around 40mph then punching it!) also, i feel confident in quick cornering, i dont feel like i'm going to tip over. i've even taken the circle exit ramps at 50mph no problem as i would in my mustang also. overall i'm happy with it 100%.. no regrets. i love the look of the sport amd i wouldnt have it any other way. One downside is by having a white explorer with a black grill many people think i'm a cop from a distance so i've seen may car in front of me slow down when i'm coming up on them! (but its also funny). i love the car and i wouldnt trade it for anything. but there a just a couple con's i've came up with: 1. myford touch doesnt recognize pandora 2. i cant get lane keep assist in the sport model 3. i cant get park assist in the sport model 4. no HID lights w/ LED license plte light 5. no automatic wipers.... for 50k i'd expect automatic wipers and HID's to make it look like its worth every bit of that 50,000 i have everything fully loaded besides the screens in the headrest and my sticker price was 49,700. however i'm leasing the car on the Z-plan. 2,000 down 466/month for 24months. 15k miles/yr. hope this helps!"

great vehicle and very roomy..has it all

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pros: "Drives great, fun, cutting edge"

Cons: "A little pricey, tire pressure monitor"

"I bought this vehicle because i have a big family and at 6' i have no problem fiting in the 3rd row. With all the options it is great for travel and rides sooooo smooth. I thought it would have a little more power on take off, but once you get up to speed you need to watch your speedometer because you wont even know you are going 70! It has all the bells and whistles which is a double edged sword. It will do everything you could imagine, but the down side is learning everthing. But, Ford dealerships do offer a 1 hr. class to get to know your vehicle. The only other problem i have found is that when it is really cold ( in the 30's) the tire pressure monitor sensor light comes on. I have talked to others with Ford's ( diff. yr's and models) and they have the same problem. All in all, i love my new vehicle and I am very happy with it. Everyone who sees it loves it and wish they had one."

Excellent for first 5K miles

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Attractive, Good interior room, Gas mileage"

Cons: "Front wheel drive, weak brakes & transmission"

"First NEW car I have been totally satisfied with. As it aged, the quality deteriorated quickly. At 60,000 miles the brakes and transmission are failing. In town and road mileage started out 27 and 29. At 60K miles, it has dropped to 23 and 26.. Never got used to the front wheel "swerve factor". It can make you lose control if you hit the gas too much when turning, as to merge into moving traffic from a side street."

Great Vehicle!

By on Friday, December 21, 2012

Pros: "Fit and finish, ergomonics, great exterior looks"

Cons: "a tad bit under powered"

"This suv is a winner. Excellent fit and finish and great looks. Good gas mileagefor a vehicle of this size. A complete shocker. This is my first American made vehicle and I wholeheartedly endorse the Explorer Limited."

Worth every Dollar

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "Fit / Finish and dash cluster"

Cons: "---na---have not found any!"

"I have about 1800 miles on my 2012 that I purchased eariler this month.I have owned 14 differnt cars and trucks from Ford and this one is truely awesome. This is the first vechicle I have ever owned that I get better gas mileage that the "sticker" states. I am getting about 18.9 in the city and I have hit 27.2 on the highway doing a comfortable 68mph."

Great SUV

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Great look, very good ride and plenty of room."

Cons: "Bettor gas mileage and MY Ford needs refinement."

"I really like the way my explorer rides and looks. The car has a good feel on the road and highway. The seats are comfortable and there's plenty of room all the way in the back. This car has good pickup and gets reasonable gas mileage. I wish it got bettor gas mileage on the highway. Mine gets 23-24 straight highway. Overall great value and I really like the look of the car inside and out. The electronics is some times a challenge but overall it works well and I like the nav,"

The BEST car I have ever owned!

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "My FordTouch, 110 ac plug, 4 bucket seats,moonroof"

Cons: "see text - voice command navigation."

"I have owned this car for one year. I have travelled long distance and around town. I do not have the ecoboost system, and have an average MPH currently of 21.7. This car is easy to own. I love the My Ford Touch system in it and all the extras they have added, including extra cup holders. I have a white Limited with 4 bucket seats, and optional third row seating. The controls for the backseat temperature are simple; my three year old adjusts the back row temperature all by himself. I can also control everything from the panel or the steering wheel controls. My only drawback is the voice control has great difficulty hearing you if there are any road noises, car noise or talking. I find it cumbersome to ask the navigation to find directions by voice control, and then confirm the route by looking at the screen, and again having to activate the navigation by touching the screen. This can be difficult to do while navigating busy roads in an unfamiliar city. Also, at times, the selected route takes a while to load, so I have missed my turnoff before. I know there is an update to the navigation that Ford just released. I just need to find 2 hours out of my day to take it in for that. All in all, the Ford Explorer is a great car. I love the roadside route alerts that let you know if an accident is ahead. You can also use is to check the weather, with live radar feeds, use your cellphone to active the internet within the car, and attach your iPad to watch movies on the main screen. My favorite feature is the 110 ac plug in the console. If you can’t find a car charger, or there is a toy that only has a “house plug” on it, no worries. Just plug it in and get on the raod!"

a great feat in engineering

By on Tuesday, April 05, 2011

"I have owned many suv's and I'm very pleased with my purchase. 2011 Explorer Limited with all the options available. The distractibility of the my Ford touch is only a learning curve that is a lot of fun to figure out. It's comfortable, roomy and not too big to manuver. 3rd row seats are stowed with a touch of a finger(very cool). I drove a VW Touareg for years and this is more refined and nimble. Gas mileage is guestionable as I have not taken a trip of any lenght. Moving from the away from the truck frame is a complete winner. Yeh, I like a smooth ride!!!! The interior is appointed with precision and style. Overall Ford has set the bar high and will challenge the luxury brands. This is not your old Explorer!!!!!"

Why Lexus?

By on Thursday, March 17, 2011

"I went to compare the Lexus RX350 and Edge and decided to give the Explorer a try and never reliquished control. The car has an improved interior versus the Lexus (my wife has an RX350) and I have the versatility afforded by the extra room. Towing capacity is plenty for the small boat and responsiveness is impressive. In the end, I spent about $48k after adding an extended warranty and etc...The RX350 was $47k before warranties, tax, title...ect. Basically the Lexus would cost fractionally more but I felt the value was with the Explorer. I have had the car for one week and look forward to driving this for several years."

Great Family Car!

By on Sunday, July 06, 2014

Pros: "VERY Versatile, comfortable ride and great mpg"

Cons: "Small fuel tank, Slow acceleration"

"I own the 2013 XLT 3.5 liter v6, and my family of 6 an I absolutely love this car! We get great gas mileage, especially for an SUV. We traded in our Minivan for our explorer, and not only is it more stylish, but it gets better gas mileage, is more comfortable on long distance trips (with twins in booster seats, and 5 other passengers, we all remained as comfortable as you could possibley expect on a 700+ mile road trip), it can pull our boat, and with 4wd, instead of awd, it is easier and cheaper to maintain, and drove with ease in 10" of snow. It Is VERY Easy and Comfortable To drive on all roads and terrain. Only negatives, is that it only has an 18 gallon tank, so even with great mileage, you have to stop and fill up 300 miles or so (that's with the v6), and when you accelerate, the transmission takes a few seconds to catch up. Other than that, no complaints, and I have previously owned cars, trucks, vans, and our Explorer is by far the best car we've had yet."

Exactly what I wanted

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Styling, features, handling"

Cons: "gear ratios, third row leg room"

"I did a lot of research on the web to find what mid-sized SUV I wanted. This Explorer fit the bill perfectly. (Traded in a Toyota Sienna Van). First, the styling caught my attention and after 6 months I still find myself thinking what a great looking car it is. The interior was the most comfortable of several models I test drove (Highlander, Traverse, Grand Cherokee). I love the cockpit and Sync touch screen, works perfectly with my I-phone and Bluetooth music. The vehicle drives great for an SUV compared to past Explorers and truck frame based SUV's. The price and gas mileage fit in line with other car brand's similar sized models. The power could be a little better, although once you learn how the vehicle shifts (up-shifts very fast leaving car in a high gear at low speed) it does fine in normal driving conditions. It would be nice to have the eco-drive available on the less expensive trims. I have had no mechanical problems. I have done some variable conditions road driving (no serious off-road, snow and dirt roads) the car has handled great on icy roads and has multiple settings to help with conditions. A few features that I love are the keyless entry and starter, with the Bluetooth phone paring you never have to fumble to find your keys and phone, grab the door handle, push the start button and go! I love the sound system, my model has the premium sound and it is the best factory system I've heard. I love the cap-less gas valve. A few minor cons: the gas door is on the passenger side and most vehicles seem to be on the driver's side, it has caused some problems at busy gas stations. The door jams are very wide and it is a bit of effort to get out of the vehicle. The third row is for children only, very limited leg room and also makes the second row not comfortable for tall people. Overall I am really happy with the purchase, I got the vehicle certified used and it came with an excellent interest rate. I do not have any regrets buying this Explorer, great job Ford, buy American!"

Not worth the money.

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "lots of space, awesome stability"

Cons: "mpg is to low, lots of electronics problems"

"My first Ford is also gonna be my last. It is advertised to do 19mpg but honestly I never got more then 15mpg's out of it. It's true that it is absolutely comfortable and with a lot of space on the inside with good looks on the outside but unless you are a professional driver it is a pain to back up without a camera. I did some good trail/off roading with it and it just sticks to the road. It is amazing how stable it is. But the stability and space are the only things that are good on it. Upkeep on this model is just a pain. Electronics are the biggest issue. From the antenna down to the tires I have had a problem with everything. Ford is gonna tell you there is nothing wrong with it but when everyday something is not working the way it should you know something is wrong. I would not recommend this to anybody. The new models 2013/2014 may be different."

I like the way it look, drives, and economy.

By on Friday, May 18, 2012

Cons: "Relocate the emergency flasher button"

"I gave this vehicle a lot of thought prior to purchase. It replaced my Expedition which my wife (small) always fussed about being to large. She actually likes driving my Explorer and thinks it drives like a car. I feel very good when I'm driving and the interior noise level is very quiet."

Nice Change by Ford

By on Tuesday, January 04, 2011

"Leased the first one in the area. Great ride. A little sluggish feel unless you put the hammer down, then hold-on when the 291 hp kicks in. Averaged between 23 and 24 mpg on the highway w/ approx 300 pds in the cargo area. Don't like the doughnut spare tire compared to a full size spare. Had a plastic rattle noise with a 30 mph headwind on the highway. First dealership couldn't repair it properly. Still much improved and looking forward to driving it for the next three years."

I want a dependable car!

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "Looks Great"

Cons: "Problems with features"

"It leaks water in the rear seatbelts.It has had a few other problems also. I'm paying a lot of money every month for a car that has been in the shop 7 weeks already. I love the way it looks and drives. I may have to trade it. I'm sad :("

I expected more from Ford

By on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pros: "Looks"

Cons: "bugs in technology software and wind noise"

"Aside from the looks which I have zero complaints they do have flaws. First they still do not have a software update to fix all the technology issues. The front console freezes up phone freeze gps freezes very disappointing. Also at 60mph and up the wind noise is ridiculous, how they did not catch this during testing is beyond me. Very sad! I would wait till 2012 to see if they fix these issues before you drop so much money."

Great vehicle for price, comfort and features

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "Great value, comfortable and roomy"

Cons: "None so far"

"Bought an XLT 3 days ago and I love it so far. It's roomy, comfortable, stylish with a touch of sportiness and nicely finished. I'm still learning about all of the bells & whistles, but so far it has exceeded my expectations. Wish the steering was a bit tighter, but that's something I can live with. Parallel parking is easy with the steering assist and the rear view camera is a feature I already love. I can't wait to take it on a long trip and see how it performs. I gave a test ride to a friend who has an Acura and he kept asking if it was really a FORD he was in because he was so impressed."