2014 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $37,603 - $38,826.

10/7.3

8.0

Based on 175 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Best SUV Ever I was a Dodgeman and now i love Ford

By on Saturday, April 25, 2015

Pros: "Great value , fun to drive, great ride"

Cons: "none love it"

"I have driven my explorer day to day and from coast to coast recently and it was a pleasure the millage got was way over the rated millage and the ride and room and handling was awesome. I previously had a Durango and i wont go back the dependability of the explorer over the Durango is no contest. This is a great value and a even better driver."

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pros: "Rides great, easy to handle, easy to park"

Cons: "Gas Milage is not what EPA claims"

"Only complaint is use of SYNC system."

This explorer will WOW you !

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "technology. not any other suv offers more tech."

Cons: "i would like push button AWD."

"I absolutely love my new explorer. the 2013 is awesome. I am a tech freak. i love its connectivity. you can make a phone call without ever lifting your hands. everything is voice activated. you can talk to it and make it do anything from giving you a weather report to changing the cabin temp to putting in a destination on gps... to selecting a given genre of music...this suv has more technology in it then any other suv...and i looked at them all from bmw to cadillac to lexus to chevy and kia. the seats are so comfortable ! do yourself a favor and at least consider one... you'll regret it if you don't. i bought the 2013 ford explorer fully loaded XLT ( I PAID 36K on 41k sticker price...x-plan member) and i am thrilled that i did... it just has so much bang for your buck. im currently AVERAGING 20.5mpg. i am happy with that compared to other suvs on the market."

Great Styling, and Functionality

By on Monday, September 19, 2011

Pros: "Great style, fun to drive, great gas mileage for a mid-size suv, extra safety features"

Cons: "pricey"

"After doing a considerable amount of research, I decided on the Ford Explorer for the following reasons: 1) Technology options - I wanted a car that had voice, and touchscreen capability, as well as Bluetooth, A/V, and iPhone compatibility. 2) Safety Features - A key selling point was the Blindspot indicator system, rear inflatable seat belts for the safety of children, and seniors, as well as front, and side impact air bags 3) Styling - The 2011/2012 Ford Explorer has an aggressive style profile that sets it apart from other SUV's in it's class. Rather than smooth rounded contouring, the Explorer sports a more angular style, especially the front end. 4) Fuel Economy - Best in Class Fuel Economy - FWD 17/25 - Interestingly enough, I've actually gotten better hwy mpg, than the stated 25 mpg."

Great vehicle for a small family

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "A looker both inside and out. Fun to drive."

Cons: "Tad bit expensive. Not the ideal family vehicle."

"After owning my 2013 Explorer XLT for the past 12 months here are my reviews; OUTSIDE: PROS: The body style, though three years old now, still surprises some people when they find out it's a Ford Explorer. Great design upgrade Ford! The ride is smooth and the wind noise is kept to a minimum for an SUV. CONS: The seemingly wider body can be a challenge to park in narrow parking lot spaces. The body panels are rounded to where you aren't sure if you are going to hit a vehicle while parking. I've gotten use to it but my wife absolutely hates it. The door panels are large and allow road grime and water inside them but the seals keep it out of the cabin. It's more of a cosmetic thing since the only thing it affects is the appearance when you open the doors. Doesn't offer power folding mirrors. These are becoming popular here in the United States (have been STANDARD on all vehicles manufactured in Japan since 1996) and are very nice when parking in parking lots or "two car" garages (since we all know that two car garages will only fit two compact cars). ELECTRICAL: PROS: I really like the My Ford Touch system and have not had any issues with it. There have been two upgrades that have come out this year but I've never had any issues with my system. (Note that I do NOT own the Navigation system that seems to give others issues) I really enjoy the touch screen and the touch responses are pretty quick. There is a lot there, in particular with the Climate controls, but what touch system now a days isn't. The ability to keep the dash readout clean by allowing you to scroll though different gauge settings and views is a plus as well. Rear view camera is a blessing since the field of view outside the back window isn't very large. CONS: The headlights tend to cause other drivers to flash their lights at you because they think you have your brights on. I'm not a big fan of these type of lights because they concentrate the light and therefore either you can see whats there or you can't. There is a defined line of light that limits your night vision. Inside the line of light you see what's there. Outside the line, you don't! In my opinion, this can be very dangerous. Power driver and passenger seats are nice but a bit on the slow side. Speed these up a bit. With the XLT model there are no seat memory settings offered. INTERIOR ROOM: PROS: The seating is nice and offers room for seven. The third row seat is a nice addition as well. CONS: The third row seating takes away leg room from the back seat passengers and the third row seating is really meant for young children so "technically" you can fit seven, but five of those seven better be young children for comfort reasons. The third row is accessible via a flip up back seat on the passenger side only since the back seat is a 60/40 bench (unless you opt for the captain chairs). In my case, I have two young children in forward facing booster seats and a baby in a rear facing car seat. Because of the third row seating moving the back seats forward, YOU CAN NOT PUT A REAR FACING CHILD SEAT BEHIND THE DRIVER OR PASSENGER SEATS WITHOUT HAVING THOSE SEATS IN A MORE FORWARD POSITION THAN WHAT WOULD BE COMFORTABLE. To help you picture this, I am 5'9" and my daughter's rear facing car seat would not fit behind my seat without my knees hugging the dashboard. A rear facing seat will however fit in the middle of the bench seat just fine with both front seats in a normal position. If you have two children (twins maybe) this would not be a good fit for you. The XLT trim level does NOT offer power adjustable gas and brake pedals. However it does try to compensate for this by offering a manual adjustable steering wheel that you can extend or retract based on your arm length needs. Not a big fan of this limitation since my wife's Expedition has power adjustable pedals and she is rather a bit height challenged. POWER: PROS: The 3.5L V-6 is very adequate for everyday driving duties however I wouldn't want to tow much with it. According to my system checks, I average 19.5 MPG which is pleasantly nice for an SUV. CONS: If you are going to offer a tow package, offer a V-8 OR make the 3.5L Twin-Turbo V-6 an option for every trim level and NOT JUST the Explorer Sport trim."