2014 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $28,038 - $29,053.

10/7.3

8.1

Based on 177 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

sync is still frustrating, but drives nice

By on Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "still use garmin GPS, rather thn navigation system"

"Vehicle drives nice Visibility is poor. My touch/sync is horrible! Maintenance costs have been high"

AVOID THIS CAR AT ALL COSTS!!

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "Rides smooth, quiet, cool interior, looks slick"

Cons: "SYNC is awful, ground clearance, transmission"

"I purchased this car over the volvo xc60 because of the SYNC system and the roominess of the interior. I wish that I could build a time machine now because that was an awful decision. The SYNC system is constantly locking up and will freeze for 15 minutes on average. My back up camera doesn't turn on half the time and sometimes the whole system will crash and just stay black my entire trip. I own an iPhone and that has absolutely given the system fits. Often the system answers the call but on the phone in my pocket, thus, defeating the hands free safety idea. Other times the system will continue to function as if a phone call is ongoing despite it being done, unfortunate if you wanted to listen to anything other than the sounds of the road (which admittedly is a quiet ride.) I also had issue with the transmission locking in first gear and refusing to shift (I was later told this had to do with a safety feature ford had installed that would engage whenever the car was shifted without being fully stopped.) The tech went on to tell that this system was over the top and completely ridiculous. My car has been in the shop three times thus far and no update or maintenance has fixed my SYNC. It goes back to the shop next week to have an entirely new SYNC module installed. The service technician confided in me that this option was not likely to fix it as "the SYNC system is awesome when it works, but it never works and we have trouble with it all the time." I am not the only one I know with these issues. I have two friends with ford SUVs and both of them have been going through the same dance. It has become a common problem. I am now exploring options to trade this car in and get another car that might actually keep me away from the service department for a week or two. Oh and it has less ground clearance than my wife's Kia Optima and is slower than molasses while barely giving me better gas mileage than my previous Chevy Tahoe."

BEST CAR I EVER HAD GREAT SYNC UP WITH EVERYTHING

By on Friday, November 21, 2014

Pros: "RELIABLE EASY OF USE"

Cons: "POWER"

"BEST CAR I EVER HAD GREAT SYNCS UP WITH EVERYTHING PHONE ECT."

Very poor quality.

By on Friday, June 19, 2015

Pros: "Design - looks."

Cons: "Poor quality."

"This is my company car. It has been in the shop more than my last 5 GM and Dodge vehicles combined. It looks good but the quality is terrible. The eco-boost engine is way under powered for this SUV also. I strickly just drive the interstates and it has averaged 22.9 mpg. Mine is not a lemon because all of my co-workers drive the same Explorers and they have all experiences many problems with theirs also."

Worst vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Sunday, May 24, 2015

Reason: Unhappy with vehicle

Pros: "Nice looking"

Cons: "Everything else!!!!"

"The interior car quality is the worst. Loud rattles that could never be found by dealership after 2 1/2 years of warranty service. The ride is horrible. Felt like the car was going to "float" off the road. Lots of electronic glitches that could never be recreated at the dealership. The so-called safety features were a nightmare. Warnings would go off for no apparent reason and almost cause me to get into a wreck. Back up camera and warnings were obnoxious. Horrible visibility for anyone under 6'tall. Hard to see over the dash and side windows. Not made for a 5'5" driver."