• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $29,137 - $29,892.

10/7.3

8.0

Based on 140 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

I regret buying it.

By on Thursday, May 17, 2012

"Terrible vehicle... Many squeaks and rattles, electrical problems, many, MANY software problems with MyFord Touch Sync. The Ecoboost engine is terribly underpowered, it fails to deliver the promised MPG."

Love my new Explorer

By on Monday, May 07, 2012

Pros: "Style, Interior Space, Features, Tech Toys, Safety"

Cons: "Uncomfortable Driver Seat, Sluggish Acceleration"

"I've owned my Explorer for 3 weeks and love it. For starters it looks beautiful both inside and out. It's loaded with tech toys and offers lots of cool features. My fuel economy has been averaging about 19mpg for my XLT V6,4WD....so it's performing slightly better than Ford stated on the sticker :) Interior cabin is spacious for the driver and passenger. Rear and third row seats are adequate. Trunk space is tremendous. On the down side, I've found the driver seat to be a little uncomfortable. Also, acceleration from a stop is sluggish when compared to the Ford Edge that I traded. Overall, I'm very happy and would recommend this vehicle. I was also considering the Jeep Grand Cherokee, and know I made the right choice with the Explorer!"

Best Option Laiden Luxury SUV in Class...Period

By on Friday, April 27, 2012

Pros: "Quiet, Luxurious, Sleek, Outstanding Handling"

Cons: "2nd Row Seating Small; Child Seats Are a Tight Fit"

"I spent nearly 2 months researching any and all SUV/Crossover vehicles on the market. From audi and Infiniti to Saturn and Kia. For the money, a SUV/Crossover just does not exist which gives you the options (i.e. Voice Navigation, Dual Panel Sunroof, Heating and Cooled Leather Appointed Seats, SYNC Services, Rear Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, HID Headlamps, etc.), luxury and safety (i.e. 1st, 2nd and 3rd row airbags, 2nd row BLIS seatbelts, side curtain, etc.) all wrapped in an agressively sleek exterior/interior package. The instrument panel and electronics simply can't be matched by any other competitor. Almost to a disadvantage to the Explorer as you find yourself wanting to play with all the features while you're driving. The cabin is whisper quiet and the ride on the 20" alloy wheels is smooth and very fun. This is my first domestic vehicle purchase but after many hours of test drives and research, there just is not a better deal. I only have 600 miles so far on my new ride so I can't speak to reliability but I believe Ford has really put quality and design back in the forefront of their lineup."

Don't even waste your time with a test drive.

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

I don't own this car

"I borrowed a very well opted Explorer Ecoboost for a week to see if this was the vehicle for my wife and kids... I was shocked at how bad it was! The thing was very underpowered, it felt terribly sluggish and heavy, the rear seats were very small for such a large vehicle, the MyFord Touch Sync system was a buggy, distracting headache from the start, the interior would squeak and rattle over any little bump and gas mileage was a pathetic 20 mpg on the highway out of a little 4 cylinder! I'll admit that my expectations were high, but I don't think they were unrealistic for a nearly $50k vehicle. I have not bought a vehicle yet, but I know I will not be buying this one."

Love this Explorer

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Fair price for the options, fun to drive, comfort"

Cons: "Large pillar between windshield and driver window"

"Ford didn't cheap out on the interior. It's loaded with lots of options and I learn something new every day about SYNC. Love the back up camera, love the voice command, love the navigation, love the sirius, love the heated leather seats, love the blind spot mirrors, quite a bit of power for a v6--not at all sluggish like the 2010, 8 cup holders with 3rd row seating! It's a little wide so if you're petite its hard to order at the drive thru, doors are massive, pillar between windshield and driver window is very large and a blind spot. Ford covered all it's bases to please the techies and it's got a completely different (and better) ride than the previous model."