• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $29,017 - $29,722.

10/7.3

7.9

Based on 133 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Best Option Laiden Luxury SUV in Class...Period

By on Friday, April 27, 2012

Pros: "Quiet, Luxurious, Sleek, Outstanding Handling"

Cons: "2nd Row Seating Small; Child Seats Are a Tight Fit"

"I spent nearly 2 months researching any and all SUV/Crossover vehicles on the market. From audi and Infiniti to Saturn and Kia. For the money, a SUV/Crossover just does not exist which gives you the options (i.e. Voice Navigation, Dual Panel Sunroof, Heating and Cooled Leather Appointed Seats, SYNC Services, Rear Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, HID Headlamps, etc.), luxury and safety (i.e. 1st, 2nd and 3rd row airbags, 2nd row BLIS seatbelts, side curtain, etc.) all wrapped in an agressively sleek exterior/interior package. The instrument panel and electronics simply can't be matched by any other competitor. Almost to a disadvantage to the Explorer as you find yourself wanting to play with all the features while you're driving. The cabin is whisper quiet and the ride on the 20" alloy wheels is smooth and very fun. This is my first domestic vehicle purchase but after many hours of test drives and research, there just is not a better deal. I only have 600 miles so far on my new ride so I can't speak to reliability but I believe Ford has really put quality and design back in the forefront of their lineup."

Don't even waste your time with a test drive.

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

I don't own this car

"I borrowed a very well opted Explorer Ecoboost for a week to see if this was the vehicle for my wife and kids... I was shocked at how bad it was! The thing was very underpowered, it felt terribly sluggish and heavy, the rear seats were very small for such a large vehicle, the MyFord Touch Sync system was a buggy, distracting headache from the start, the interior would squeak and rattle over any little bump and gas mileage was a pathetic 20 mpg on the highway out of a little 4 cylinder! I'll admit that my expectations were high, but I don't think they were unrealistic for a nearly $50k vehicle. I have not bought a vehicle yet, but I know I will not be buying this one."

Love this Explorer

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Fair price for the options, fun to drive, comfort"

Cons: "Large pillar between windshield and driver window"

"Ford didn't cheap out on the interior. It's loaded with lots of options and I learn something new every day about SYNC. Love the back up camera, love the voice command, love the navigation, love the sirius, love the heated leather seats, love the blind spot mirrors, quite a bit of power for a v6--not at all sluggish like the 2010, 8 cup holders with 3rd row seating! It's a little wide so if you're petite its hard to order at the drive thru, doors are massive, pillar between windshield and driver window is very large and a blind spot. Ford covered all it's bases to please the techies and it's got a completely different (and better) ride than the previous model."

Such a great vehicle

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "MPG, comfort, options, style, sync"

Cons: "sync bugs, no offroad, hazards button location"

Love this thing

"The one single thing I don't like about the vehicle is I wish it was more capable off road. I think it would be with some more clearance but overall it is a very capable vehicle for most anybody. Ours was used in the snow and ice as well and it handled great. We rarely ever knew the wheels were slipping unless we looked at the dash to see which wheels were getting the power. I am totaly blown away by the new options ford is coming out with and I love the interactive instrument cluster. I constantly find myself trying to beat my average MPG as well. It's turned into a game and I average 19mpg in a city full of steep hills and lots of stop and go on them. just incredibly impressed with it. I would recomend this to anyone looking for a minivan type of space with an SUV feel and look."

Love this thing

Wanted it for it's great looks!!

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Hanldes like a car, rear camera, blind spot assist"

Cons: "none yet"

"went in to see this truck after seeing them on the road. I could not beleive it was an Explorer. Love the ride and handles like a dream!"