• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $29,017 - $29,722.

10/7.3

7.9

Based on 133 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Excellent Vehicle For The High Country

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Build quality, power, quiet, good handling for SUV"

Cons: "Touch screen takes getting used to"

"Comfortable, reliable, easy-to-use AWD system. Mileage decent for an SUV -- I get close to 21 MPG overall. Very quiet and solid on the highway, adequate off road but, to me, not the kind of vehicle you take way off road into the deep woods. Some people don't like MyFord Touch -- I never found it difficult to use, but it does have some quirks that take getting used to. SYNC, on the other hand, is a real plus."

Exactly what I wanted

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Styling, features, handling"

Cons: "gear ratios, third row leg room"

"I did a lot of research on the web to find what mid-sized SUV I wanted. This Explorer fit the bill perfectly. (Traded in a Toyota Sienna Van). First, the styling caught my attention and after 6 months I still find myself thinking what a great looking car it is. The interior was the most comfortable of several models I test drove (Highlander, Traverse, Grand Cherokee). I love the cockpit and Sync touch screen, works perfectly with my I-phone and Bluetooth music. The vehicle drives great for an SUV compared to past Explorers and truck frame based SUV's. The price and gas mileage fit in line with other car brand's similar sized models. The power could be a little better, although once you learn how the vehicle shifts (up-shifts very fast leaving car in a high gear at low speed) it does fine in normal driving conditions. It would be nice to have the eco-drive available on the less expensive trims. I have had no mechanical problems. I have done some variable conditions road driving (no serious off-road, snow and dirt roads) the car has handled great on icy roads and has multiple settings to help with conditions. A few features that I love are the keyless entry and starter, with the Bluetooth phone paring you never have to fumble to find your keys and phone, grab the door handle, push the start button and go! I love the sound system, my model has the premium sound and it is the best factory system I've heard. I love the cap-less gas valve. A few minor cons: the gas door is on the passenger side and most vehicles seem to be on the driver's side, it has caused some problems at busy gas stations. The door jams are very wide and it is a bit of effort to get out of the vehicle. The third row is for children only, very limited leg room and also makes the second row not comfortable for tall people. Overall I am really happy with the purchase, I got the vehicle certified used and it came with an excellent interest rate. I do not have any regrets buying this Explorer, great job Ford, buy American!"

Love this car

By on Sunday, February 24, 2013

"Great interior and sleek body design. The My Ford Touch is vastly improved and if you can work a smart phone you will find this very easy and fun to use. Nav is a great tool and worth the upcharge. Got to 2.0 ecoboost and love the gas mileage and has enough power for a family car."

Impressed!!!

By on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Pros: "very comfortable"

The day I bought it:)

"Just bought this gem green ,took it on a trip the second day, I love being surrounded by the extra room,My touch radio is amazing, love the camera and a/c setting for each side, Im spoiled!!"

The day I bought it:)

MY FAVORITE CAR

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "fun"

Cons: "not enough storage in the car"

"This is my 4th Ford Explorer, last one was sold after 8 years (the longest I have held on to a car). The car is very comfortable, seats are great and can be positioned in so many different positions. I love the heated and air conditioned seats and steering wheel."