• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $29,366 - $30,103.

10/7.3

8.0

Based on 141 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Excellent Vehicle For The High Country

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Build quality, power, quiet, good handling for SUV"

Cons: "Touch screen takes getting used to"

"Comfortable, reliable, easy-to-use AWD system. Mileage decent for an SUV -- I get close to 21 MPG overall. Very quiet and solid on the highway, adequate off road but, to me, not the kind of vehicle you take way off road into the deep woods. Some people don't like MyFord Touch -- I never found it difficult to use, but it does have some quirks that take getting used to. SYNC, on the other hand, is a real plus."

Love this car

By on Sunday, February 24, 2013

"Great interior and sleek body design. The My Ford Touch is vastly improved and if you can work a smart phone you will find this very easy and fun to use. Nav is a great tool and worth the upcharge. Got to 2.0 ecoboost and love the gas mileage and has enough power for a family car."

Impressed!!!

By on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Pros: "very comfortable"

The day I bought it:)

"Just bought this gem green ,took it on a trip the second day, I love being surrounded by the extra room,My touch radio is amazing, love the camera and a/c setting for each side, Im spoiled!!"

The day I bought it:)

MY FAVORITE CAR

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "fun"

Cons: "not enough storage in the car"

"This is my 4th Ford Explorer, last one was sold after 8 years (the longest I have held on to a car). The car is very comfortable, seats are great and can be positioned in so many different positions. I love the heated and air conditioned seats and steering wheel."

Comfortable, quiet, driving dream.

By on Sunday, November 10, 2013

"MSRP was $50K. Way too expensive, but a few discounts helped. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I've had it for a year now and am still learning about the many electronic functions. It drives like a dream. My wife and I feel safe and secure in it; especially with the auto braking, adaptive cruise control, and lane keeping warnings. One thing I miss from my previous vehicle is a "mute" button for the sound system. Considering all the electronic features, I don't know why they didn't include the "mute". If you buy one, you'll love it!"

Wow what a cool vehicle

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "Power, suspension"

"Perfect in every way - power makes mountain passes as fast as you want to go, effortless, amazing handling, MPG 23 -24.5 Hwy 18 city,easiest 3000 mi road trip I have ever taken - have the four captains chairs make kids easy - only minor flaw is software for computer had to be updated"

Starting with problems at 20,000 miles

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Well appointed for a base model, handles well."

Cons: "Noises from nearly all functioning parts."

"I have 21,000 miles on my '13 Ford Explorer and for the past few months the brakes have squeaked when first driven after periods of rest. Dealer's service department blames it on condensation. I can understand that in the mornings, but not necessarily in the afternoons and while I'm no auto expert I don't think that at this mileage I should have any brake noise. Another issue: after backing out of the driveway and shifting the truck into drive, I've applied gas and the RPMs went haywire, yet I wasn't going anywhere. It's an automatic. First time it happened I though for certain that I has mistakenly put the truck in neutral, but the gear was firmly in drive with no wiggle in the shift at all and the "D" was clearly lit indicating that I was in the proper gear. Once the vehicle was put in park and then again in drive, it was fine. Dealer can't find any issue, but it's at least been documented. Dash creaks at times and there's a hum that comes from the front of the truck which eventually subsides within a mile or two. I like the handling of the truck, the interior is well appointed for a base model. I hope that these issues aren't a snapshot of more troubles to come."

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "Power, smooth ride, smooth transmission,"

Cons: "Headlight dimmer could be simpler"

"Rides and drives great. Plenty of power with reg V6. Burns regular grade gas at 20 MPG overall. One recall that went well. Ford Sync could be easier but no harder than a smart phone. Dealer service great. I can't find anything wrong with this vehicle or the 2011 Explorer that I traded in. 2011 had great trade-in value and was just as good. Great red paint. The back window and door seems to get dirty very easily. Seating positions are great."

Solid SUV

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "Looks Greet / Drives Well"

Cons: "None."

"We've have our Explorer for 4 months with no issues. Drives well, looks great, and a solid value. There is no point paying more for a "luxury" SUV."

Best 3 Row SUV that gets 20 MPG

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "20+ MPG, Interior, Ride, Looks"

Cons: "Noise from the hood over 75mph needs attention."

"I trade every 2 to 3 years and in comparison to my previous Chevy Traverse, Chevy Equinox, GMC Acadia, the Ford Explorer is the benchmark to beat! The Explorer is similar to my Chevy Tahoe except the feel of the Explorer is more like a luxury car. This is my first and not the last Ford I will have owned. I like the XLT options and moon roof. The radio and wireless command system is neat. I am picky, and this SUV rocks - great job Ford !"

Personally - I LOVE it

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

"So far I love everything about this car- the exterior, interior, it's very spacious inside and the seats are incredibly comfortable, It handles well and the ride is so smooth. The only complaint I have on my explorer is that the Ford Mytouch is tempermental but I had nav on my old nissan altima and it was the same at times. Nothing is perfect, all you can do is get close."

ford has outdone themselves building this car.

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros: "the car itself is a pro"

Cons: "the speedometer doesnt register enough for the car"

"this is the first ford i have owned, of course i have driven many of them . i liked them but didn't really show me that much. my wife has a ford escape with 200007 miles and runs great, with no major problems. we tried out the 13 exploder and fell in love with it. it is real comfortable, rides like a caddy and has the power to blow most foreign cars off the road. talk about toys it has all the gadgets you could ask for plus the best navigation system i have ever seen. i could drive it for days straight and feel good when arriving at my destination. good for ford they have come back with vengeance . keep i buying American cars. true Americans drive Detroit only made vehicles."

Great car! Just the right size

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "Easy to get around and is not bulky to drive"

Cons: "no cover on fold flat 3rd row buttons/no arm rest"

"I have 2 kids and we are going to sporting events all of the time. This is just the right size to get the gear in the back and the two kids and husband to ride comfortably in the middle and front seats. Love the fold flats on the third row, just wish they have a cover over the buttons--have accidently hit the fold button when I had stuff on the back seats. Also would like to have arm rest in center row captain chairs. We have had great luck with this car and it has been a fun car to drive."

Great vehicle for price, comfort and features

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "Great value, comfortable and roomy"

Cons: "None so far"

"Bought an XLT 3 days ago and I love it so far. It's roomy, comfortable, stylish with a touch of sportiness and nicely finished. I'm still learning about all of the bells & whistles, but so far it has exceeded my expectations. Wish the steering was a bit tighter, but that's something I can live with. Parallel parking is easy with the steering assist and the rear view camera is a feature I already love. I can't wait to take it on a long trip and see how it performs. I gave a test ride to a friend who has an Acura and he kept asking if it was really a FORD he was in because he was so impressed."

Best mid-size SUV with 3rd row

By on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "Don't get the eco-boost"

"Stunning look. Ford has came along way. They came back with a wow factor."

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pros: "Rides great, easy to handle, easy to park"

Cons: "Gas Milage is not what EPA claims"

"Only complaint is use of SYNC system."

Loved it at first, not so much now!

By on Monday, July 23, 2012

Pros: "Exterior is a nice looking"

Cons: "Software issues, Rattles, Road Noise"

"My Limited 2011 Ford Exp ended up in the shop twice within the first two months (software crash which disabled the radio, navigation, A/C and center screen). Getting ready to go back after only a year for rattles. The first 6 months in the SUV was nice (other than the software going out twice...now the road noise is like a 5 year old used up car. The glove box and the center console is rattling enough to bring the SUV for the 3rd time. Love the way the exterior looks, but that's about all I like about this SUV now after owning it a year. Definately not happy with spending 42,000 and having it in the shop 2 times for softward issues, going in for a recall and will be brought in for the rattles. Ugh."

This explorer will WOW you !

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "technology. not any other suv offers more tech."

Cons: "i would like push button AWD."

"I absolutely love my new explorer. the 2013 is awesome. I am a tech freak. i love its connectivity. you can make a phone call without ever lifting your hands. everything is voice activated. you can talk to it and make it do anything from giving you a weather report to changing the cabin temp to putting in a destination on gps... to selecting a given genre of music...this suv has more technology in it then any other suv...and i looked at them all from bmw to cadillac to lexus to chevy and kia. the seats are so comfortable ! do yourself a favor and at least consider one... you'll regret it if you don't. i bought the 2013 ford explorer fully loaded XLT ( I PAID 36K on 41k sticker price...x-plan member) and i am thrilled that i did... it just has so much bang for your buck. im currently AVERAGING 20.5mpg. i am happy with that compared to other suvs on the market."

Great Styling, and Functionality

By on Monday, September 19, 2011

Pros: "Great style, fun to drive, great gas mileage for a mid-size suv, extra safety features"

Cons: "pricey"

"After doing a considerable amount of research, I decided on the Ford Explorer for the following reasons: 1) Technology options - I wanted a car that had voice, and touchscreen capability, as well as Bluetooth, A/V, and iPhone compatibility. 2) Safety Features - A key selling point was the Blindspot indicator system, rear inflatable seat belts for the safety of children, and seniors, as well as front, and side impact air bags 3) Styling - The 2011/2012 Ford Explorer has an aggressive style profile that sets it apart from other SUV's in it's class. Rather than smooth rounded contouring, the Explorer sports a more angular style, especially the front end. 4) Fuel Economy - Best in Class Fuel Economy - FWD 17/25 - Interestingly enough, I've actually gotten better hwy mpg, than the stated 25 mpg."

Worth every Dollar

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "Fit / Finish and dash cluster"

Cons: "---na---have not found any!"

"I have about 1800 miles on my 2012 that I purchased eariler this month.I have owned 14 differnt cars and trucks from Ford and this one is truely awesome. This is the first vechicle I have ever owned that I get better gas mileage that the "sticker" states. I am getting about 18.9 in the city and I have hit 27.2 on the highway doing a comfortable 68mph."

Great vehicle for a small family

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "A looker both inside and out. Fun to drive."

Cons: "Tad bit expensive. Not the ideal family vehicle."

"After owning my 2013 Explorer XLT for the past 12 months here are my reviews; OUTSIDE: PROS: The body style, though three years old now, still surprises some people when they find out it's a Ford Explorer. Great design upgrade Ford! The ride is smooth and the wind noise is kept to a minimum for an SUV. CONS: The seemingly wider body can be a challenge to park in narrow parking lot spaces. The body panels are rounded to where you aren't sure if you are going to hit a vehicle while parking. I've gotten use to it but my wife absolutely hates it. The door panels are large and allow road grime and water inside them but the seals keep it out of the cabin. It's more of a cosmetic thing since the only thing it affects is the appearance when you open the doors. Doesn't offer power folding mirrors. These are becoming popular here in the United States (have been STANDARD on all vehicles manufactured in Japan since 1996) and are very nice when parking in parking lots or "two car" garages (since we all know that two car garages will only fit two compact cars). ELECTRICAL: PROS: I really like the My Ford Touch system and have not had any issues with it. There have been two upgrades that have come out this year but I've never had any issues with my system. (Note that I do NOT own the Navigation system that seems to give others issues) I really enjoy the touch screen and the touch responses are pretty quick. There is a lot there, in particular with the Climate controls, but what touch system now a days isn't. The ability to keep the dash readout clean by allowing you to scroll though different gauge settings and views is a plus as well. Rear view camera is a blessing since the field of view outside the back window isn't very large. CONS: The headlights tend to cause other drivers to flash their lights at you because they think you have your brights on. I'm not a big fan of these type of lights because they concentrate the light and therefore either you can see whats there or you can't. There is a defined line of light that limits your night vision. Inside the line of light you see what's there. Outside the line, you don't! In my opinion, this can be very dangerous. Power driver and passenger seats are nice but a bit on the slow side. Speed these up a bit. With the XLT model there are no seat memory settings offered. INTERIOR ROOM: PROS: The seating is nice and offers room for seven. The third row seat is a nice addition as well. CONS: The third row seating takes away leg room from the back seat passengers and the third row seating is really meant for young children so "technically" you can fit seven, but five of those seven better be young children for comfort reasons. The third row is accessible via a flip up back seat on the passenger side only since the back seat is a 60/40 bench (unless you opt for the captain chairs). In my case, I have two young children in forward facing booster seats and a baby in a rear facing car seat. Because of the third row seating moving the back seats forward, YOU CAN NOT PUT A REAR FACING CHILD SEAT BEHIND THE DRIVER OR PASSENGER SEATS WITHOUT HAVING THOSE SEATS IN A MORE FORWARD POSITION THAN WHAT WOULD BE COMFORTABLE. To help you picture this, I am 5'9" and my daughter's rear facing car seat would not fit behind my seat without my knees hugging the dashboard. A rear facing seat will however fit in the middle of the bench seat just fine with both front seats in a normal position. If you have two children (twins maybe) this would not be a good fit for you. The XLT trim level does NOT offer power adjustable gas and brake pedals. However it does try to compensate for this by offering a manual adjustable steering wheel that you can extend or retract based on your arm length needs. Not a big fan of this limitation since my wife's Expedition has power adjustable pedals and she is rather a bit height challenged. POWER: PROS: The 3.5L V-6 is very adequate for everyday driving duties however I wouldn't want to tow much with it. According to my system checks, I average 19.5 MPG which is pleasantly nice for an SUV. CONS: If you are going to offer a tow package, offer a V-8 OR make the 3.5L Twin-Turbo V-6 an option for every trim level and NOT JUST the Explorer Sport trim."

Outstanding ride, comfort and handling

By on Sunday, November 04, 2012

Pros: "Great SUV for the price."

Cons: "No arm rests on the 2nd row bucket seats."

"We traded a 2008 Toyota Higlander Limited, loaded for the new 2013 Explorer. My wife drove it as a comparison to a Cadillac XRS and GMC Acadia Denali. The Ford wowed her on ride, handling and safety features. We haven't had any computer issues (at least not yet) and the only thing I noticed upon delivery was a few paint chip flaws which the dealer will fix. The Explorer Limited is loaded (except for DVD) which we never used on the Toyota once the grandkids grew into cell phones and ipads. Would highly recommend you test drive one before deciding on a new vehicle. We're averaging around 18 mpg in town since purchase with the 3.5 V6."

Love my new Explorer

By on Monday, May 07, 2012

Pros: "Style, Interior Space, Features, Tech Toys, Safety"

Cons: "Uncomfortable Driver Seat, Sluggish Acceleration"

"I've owned my Explorer for 3 weeks and love it. For starters it looks beautiful both inside and out. It's loaded with tech toys and offers lots of cool features. My fuel economy has been averaging about 19mpg for my XLT V6,4WD....so it's performing slightly better than Ford stated on the sticker :) Interior cabin is spacious for the driver and passenger. Rear and third row seats are adequate. Trunk space is tremendous. On the down side, I've found the driver seat to be a little uncomfortable. Also, acceleration from a stop is sluggish when compared to the Ford Edge that I traded. Overall, I'm very happy and would recommend this vehicle. I was also considering the Jeep Grand Cherokee, and know I made the right choice with the Explorer!"

2014 EXPLORER SPORT - AWESOME

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, quick, attention grabber"

Cons: "people think i'm a cop, wish radio went louder"

"Awesome car! This is my first SUV I've had and i love it. I feel the right height is perfect. Not too low, and not to high. I dont feel like i'm going to rip my pants when trying to get in like I feel when i'm getting in my buddy's F-150 (no step), yet its high enough to see the road and feel confident while driving. the interior provides options for different interior configurations and it seemed to work perfectly for the one road trip i've had so far. when i first bought the car i though it was a big sluggish than expected. However, I have about 4,000 miles on it now and it seems to be getting quicker everyday and its now about the level i expected it to be. (love hovering around 40mph then punching it!) also, i feel confident in quick cornering, i dont feel like i'm going to tip over. i've even taken the circle exit ramps at 50mph no problem as i would in my mustang also. overall i'm happy with it 100%.. no regrets. i love the look of the sport amd i wouldnt have it any other way. One downside is by having a white explorer with a black grill many people think i'm a cop from a distance so i've seen may car in front of me slow down when i'm coming up on them! (but its also funny). i love the car and i wouldnt trade it for anything. but there a just a couple con's i've came up with: 1. myford touch doesnt recognize pandora 2. i cant get lane keep assist in the sport model 3. i cant get park assist in the sport model 4. no HID lights w/ LED license plte light 5. no automatic wipers.... for 50k i'd expect automatic wipers and HID's to make it look like its worth every bit of that 50,000 i have everything fully loaded besides the screens in the headrest and my sticker price was 49,700. however i'm leasing the car on the Z-plan. 2,000 down 466/month for 24months. 15k miles/yr. hope this helps!"

great vehicle and very roomy..has it all

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pros: "Drives great, fun, cutting edge"

Cons: "A little pricey, tire pressure monitor"

"I bought this vehicle because i have a big family and at 6' i have no problem fiting in the 3rd row. With all the options it is great for travel and rides sooooo smooth. I thought it would have a little more power on take off, but once you get up to speed you need to watch your speedometer because you wont even know you are going 70! It has all the bells and whistles which is a double edged sword. It will do everything you could imagine, but the down side is learning everthing. But, Ford dealerships do offer a 1 hr. class to get to know your vehicle. The only other problem i have found is that when it is really cold ( in the 30's) the tire pressure monitor sensor light comes on. I have talked to others with Ford's ( diff. yr's and models) and they have the same problem. All in all, i love my new vehicle and I am very happy with it. Everyone who sees it loves it and wish they had one."