2014 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $29,853 - $30,933.

10/7.3

8.1

Based on 177 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Great vehicle for a small family

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "A looker both inside and out. Fun to drive."

Cons: "Tad bit expensive. Not the ideal family vehicle."

"After owning my 2013 Explorer XLT for the past 12 months here are my reviews; OUTSIDE: PROS: The body style, though three years old now, still surprises some people when they find out it's a Ford Explorer. Great design upgrade Ford! The ride is smooth and the wind noise is kept to a minimum for an SUV. CONS: The seemingly wider body can be a challenge to park in narrow parking lot spaces. The body panels are rounded to where you aren't sure if you are going to hit a vehicle while parking. I've gotten use to it but my wife absolutely hates it. The door panels are large and allow road grime and water inside them but the seals keep it out of the cabin. It's more of a cosmetic thing since the only thing it affects is the appearance when you open the doors. Doesn't offer power folding mirrors. These are becoming popular here in the United States (have been STANDARD on all vehicles manufactured in Japan since 1996) and are very nice when parking in parking lots or "two car" garages (since we all know that two car garages will only fit two compact cars). ELECTRICAL: PROS: I really like the My Ford Touch system and have not had any issues with it. There have been two upgrades that have come out this year but I've never had any issues with my system. (Note that I do NOT own the Navigation system that seems to give others issues) I really enjoy the touch screen and the touch responses are pretty quick. There is a lot there, in particular with the Climate controls, but what touch system now a days isn't. The ability to keep the dash readout clean by allowing you to scroll though different gauge settings and views is a plus as well. Rear view camera is a blessing since the field of view outside the back window isn't very large. CONS: The headlights tend to cause other drivers to flash their lights at you because they think you have your brights on. I'm not a big fan of these type of lights because they concentrate the light and therefore either you can see whats there or you can't. There is a defined line of light that limits your night vision. Inside the line of light you see what's there. Outside the line, you don't! In my opinion, this can be very dangerous. Power driver and passenger seats are nice but a bit on the slow side. Speed these up a bit. With the XLT model there are no seat memory settings offered. INTERIOR ROOM: PROS: The seating is nice and offers room for seven. The third row seat is a nice addition as well. CONS: The third row seating takes away leg room from the back seat passengers and the third row seating is really meant for young children so "technically" you can fit seven, but five of those seven better be young children for comfort reasons. The third row is accessible via a flip up back seat on the passenger side only since the back seat is a 60/40 bench (unless you opt for the captain chairs). In my case, I have two young children in forward facing booster seats and a baby in a rear facing car seat. Because of the third row seating moving the back seats forward, YOU CAN NOT PUT A REAR FACING CHILD SEAT BEHIND THE DRIVER OR PASSENGER SEATS WITHOUT HAVING THOSE SEATS IN A MORE FORWARD POSITION THAN WHAT WOULD BE COMFORTABLE. To help you picture this, I am 5'9" and my daughter's rear facing car seat would not fit behind my seat without my knees hugging the dashboard. A rear facing seat will however fit in the middle of the bench seat just fine with both front seats in a normal position. If you have two children (twins maybe) this would not be a good fit for you. The XLT trim level does NOT offer power adjustable gas and brake pedals. However it does try to compensate for this by offering a manual adjustable steering wheel that you can extend or retract based on your arm length needs. Not a big fan of this limitation since my wife's Expedition has power adjustable pedals and she is rather a bit height challenged. POWER: PROS: The 3.5L V-6 is very adequate for everyday driving duties however I wouldn't want to tow much with it. According to my system checks, I average 19.5 MPG which is pleasantly nice for an SUV. CONS: If you are going to offer a tow package, offer a V-8 OR make the 3.5L Twin-Turbo V-6 an option for every trim level and NOT JUST the Explorer Sport trim."

Worth every Dollar

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "Fit / Finish and dash cluster"

Cons: "---na---have not found any!"

"I have about 1800 miles on my 2012 that I purchased eariler this month.I have owned 14 differnt cars and trucks from Ford and this one is truely awesome. This is the first vechicle I have ever owned that I get better gas mileage that the "sticker" states. I am getting about 18.9 in the city and I have hit 27.2 on the highway doing a comfortable 68mph."

Great SUV

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Great look, very good ride and plenty of room."

Cons: "Bettor gas mileage and MY Ford needs refinement."

"I really like the way my explorer rides and looks. The car has a good feel on the road and highway. The seats are comfortable and there's plenty of room all the way in the back. This car has good pickup and gets reasonable gas mileage. I wish it got bettor gas mileage on the highway. Mine gets 23-24 straight highway. Overall great value and I really like the look of the car inside and out. The electronics is some times a challenge but overall it works well and I like the nav,"

The BEST car I have ever owned!

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "My FordTouch, 110 ac plug, 4 bucket seats,moonroof"

Cons: "see text - voice command navigation."

"I have owned this car for one year. I have travelled long distance and around town. I do not have the ecoboost system, and have an average MPH currently of 21.7. This car is easy to own. I love the My Ford Touch system in it and all the extras they have added, including extra cup holders. I have a white Limited with 4 bucket seats, and optional third row seating. The controls for the backseat temperature are simple; my three year old adjusts the back row temperature all by himself. I can also control everything from the panel or the steering wheel controls. My only drawback is the voice control has great difficulty hearing you if there are any road noises, car noise or talking. I find it cumbersome to ask the navigation to find directions by voice control, and then confirm the route by looking at the screen, and again having to activate the navigation by touching the screen. This can be difficult to do while navigating busy roads in an unfamiliar city. Also, at times, the selected route takes a while to load, so I have missed my turnoff before. I know there is an update to the navigation that Ford just released. I just need to find 2 hours out of my day to take it in for that. All in all, the Ford Explorer is a great car. I love the roadside route alerts that let you know if an accident is ahead. You can also use is to check the weather, with live radar feeds, use your cellphone to active the internet within the car, and attach your iPad to watch movies on the main screen. My favorite feature is the 110 ac plug in the console. If you can’t find a car charger, or there is a toy that only has a “house plug” on it, no worries. Just plug it in and get on the raod!"

a great feat in engineering

By on Tuesday, April 05, 2011

"I have owned many suv's and I'm very pleased with my purchase. 2011 Explorer Limited with all the options available. The distractibility of the my Ford touch is only a learning curve that is a lot of fun to figure out. It's comfortable, roomy and not too big to manuver. 3rd row seats are stowed with a touch of a finger(very cool). I drove a VW Touareg for years and this is more refined and nimble. Gas mileage is guestionable as I have not taken a trip of any lenght. Moving from the away from the truck frame is a complete winner. Yeh, I like a smooth ride!!!! The interior is appointed with precision and style. Overall Ford has set the bar high and will challenge the luxury brands. This is not your old Explorer!!!!!"