• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,266 - $32,051.

10/7.3

8.0

Based on 140 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Such a great vehicle

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "MPG, comfort, options, style, sync"

Cons: "sync bugs, no offroad, hazards button location"

Love this thing

"The one single thing I don't like about the vehicle is I wish it was more capable off road. I think it would be with some more clearance but overall it is a very capable vehicle for most anybody. Ours was used in the snow and ice as well and it handled great. We rarely ever knew the wheels were slipping unless we looked at the dash to see which wheels were getting the power. I am totaly blown away by the new options ford is coming out with and I love the interactive instrument cluster. I constantly find myself trying to beat my average MPG as well. It's turned into a game and I average 19mpg in a city full of steep hills and lots of stop and go on them. just incredibly impressed with it. I would recomend this to anyone looking for a minivan type of space with an SUV feel and look."

Love this thing

Wanted it for it's great looks!!

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Hanldes like a car, rear camera, blind spot assist"

Cons: "none yet"

"went in to see this truck after seeing them on the road. I could not beleive it was an Explorer. Love the ride and handles like a dream!"

My 9th Explorer... Lovin' it!!

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pros: "See my review"

Cons: "See my review"

"This is Explorer #9. Prior to buying this one, I had a 2008 Lincoln MKX, which I loved, and was planning on getting a new MKX. Since the Explorer was overhauled in design, I thought I'd check it out, too. After driving the MKX, which I loved, and new Explorer, I was sold on the Explorer. The smooth ride was incredible, the safety features were fabulous, the comfort was wonderful. After having the vehicle for one week, we took it on a 2500 mile round-trip road trip. We only stopped for gas, as we did not need to stretch or anything else you usually need to do after driving for a lengthy period. It was that comfortable. My husband loved the Cluster design and all the gages and the way he could track anything and everything. He liked that the car ran self-diagnostics after a certain number of miles (I forgot how many he said it was). I love the SYNC system and the navigation. It's much easier to handle and learn than the one on MKX. I realize it's a newer version, and that's probably why. The rear seats fold up, down, or flat at the touch of a button. They have never malfunctioned. The 3rd row buckets are extremely comfortable. I got stuck sitting in the back when we drove some elderly people up north. I loved it back there! The shelf in the glove compartment is a bonus. There is so much storage between the glove box, the console, and the storage under the radio that I can actually find things I put in them. The rear camera is great and I like that fact that it shows up on the SYNC screen instead of as a little square on the mirror. It also beeps if you are backing out of a parking space and there is a car coming within 3 car lengths in either direction. The front buckets are adjustable in so many ways, it's impossible to not find a comfy position. There are 3 memory buttons for 3 drivers. The mirrors fold in"

The BEST car I have ever owned!

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "My FordTouch, 110 ac plug, 4 bucket seats,moonroof"

Cons: "see text - voice command navigation."

"I have owned this car for one year. I have travelled long distance and around town. I do not have the ecoboost system, and have an average MPH currently of 21.7. This car is easy to own. I love the My Ford Touch system in it and all the extras they have added, including extra cup holders. I have a white Limited with 4 bucket seats, and optional third row seating. The controls for the backseat temperature are simple; my three year old adjusts the back row temperature all by himself. I can also control everything from the panel or the steering wheel controls. My only drawback is the voice control has great difficulty hearing you if there are any road noises, car noise or talking. I find it cumbersome to ask the navigation to find directions by voice control, and then confirm the route by looking at the screen, and again having to activate the navigation by touching the screen. This can be difficult to do while navigating busy roads in an unfamiliar city. Also, at times, the selected route takes a while to load, so I have missed my turnoff before. I know there is an update to the navigation that Ford just released. I just need to find 2 hours out of my day to take it in for that. All in all, the Ford Explorer is a great car. I love the roadside route alerts that let you know if an accident is ahead. You can also use is to check the weather, with live radar feeds, use your cellphone to active the internet within the car, and attach your iPad to watch movies on the main screen. My favorite feature is the 110 ac plug in the console. If you can’t find a car charger, or there is a toy that only has a “house plug” on it, no worries. Just plug it in and get on the raod!"

Terrific handling, ride and quite interior.

By on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pros: "Handling, ride, interior, styling!"

Cons: "climate control, either too hot or too cold!"

"Ford has hit it out of the park with the new Explorer! Great fit and finish, great handling , great ride, great fuel economy for a 4 wheel drive vehicle! Drive the Explorer first , then go drive the Pilot, Traverse or Durango, you will head back to Ford with a true appreciation of how far in front of the competition the Explorer is!"