2014 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $30,791 - $31,710.

10/7.3

8.1

Based on 161 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

I like the way it look, drives, and economy.

By on Friday, May 18, 2012

Cons: "Relocate the emergency flasher button"

"I gave this vehicle a lot of thought prior to purchase. It replaced my Expedition which my wife (small) always fussed about being to large. She actually likes driving my Explorer and thinks it drives like a car. I feel very good when I'm driving and the interior noise level is very quiet."

I regret buying it.

By on Thursday, May 17, 2012

"Terrible vehicle... Many squeaks and rattles, electrical problems, many, MANY software problems with MyFord Touch Sync. The Ecoboost engine is terribly underpowered, it fails to deliver the promised MPG."

Love my new Explorer

By on Monday, May 07, 2012

Pros: "Style, Interior Space, Features, Tech Toys, Safety"

Cons: "Uncomfortable Driver Seat, Sluggish Acceleration"

"I've owned my Explorer for 3 weeks and love it. For starters it looks beautiful both inside and out. It's loaded with tech toys and offers lots of cool features. My fuel economy has been averaging about 19mpg for my XLT V6,4WD....so it's performing slightly better than Ford stated on the sticker :) Interior cabin is spacious for the driver and passenger. Rear and third row seats are adequate. Trunk space is tremendous. On the down side, I've found the driver seat to be a little uncomfortable. Also, acceleration from a stop is sluggish when compared to the Ford Edge that I traded. Overall, I'm very happy and would recommend this vehicle. I was also considering the Jeep Grand Cherokee, and know I made the right choice with the Explorer!"

Best Option Laiden Luxury SUV in Class...Period

By on Friday, April 27, 2012

Pros: "Quiet, Luxurious, Sleek, Outstanding Handling"

Cons: "2nd Row Seating Small; Child Seats Are a Tight Fit"

"I spent nearly 2 months researching any and all SUV/Crossover vehicles on the market. From audi and Infiniti to Saturn and Kia. For the money, a SUV/Crossover just does not exist which gives you the options (i.e. Voice Navigation, Dual Panel Sunroof, Heating and Cooled Leather Appointed Seats, SYNC Services, Rear Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, HID Headlamps, etc.), luxury and safety (i.e. 1st, 2nd and 3rd row airbags, 2nd row BLIS seatbelts, side curtain, etc.) all wrapped in an agressively sleek exterior/interior package. The instrument panel and electronics simply can't be matched by any other competitor. Almost to a disadvantage to the Explorer as you find yourself wanting to play with all the features while you're driving. The cabin is whisper quiet and the ride on the 20" alloy wheels is smooth and very fun. This is my first domestic vehicle purchase but after many hours of test drives and research, there just is not a better deal. I only have 600 miles so far on my new ride so I can't speak to reliability but I believe Ford has really put quality and design back in the forefront of their lineup."

Don't even waste your time with a test drive.

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

I don't own this car

"I borrowed a very well opted Explorer Ecoboost for a week to see if this was the vehicle for my wife and kids... I was shocked at how bad it was! The thing was very underpowered, it felt terribly sluggish and heavy, the rear seats were very small for such a large vehicle, the MyFord Touch Sync system was a buggy, distracting headache from the start, the interior would squeak and rattle over any little bump and gas mileage was a pathetic 20 mpg on the highway out of a little 4 cylinder! I'll admit that my expectations were high, but I don't think they were unrealistic for a nearly $50k vehicle. I have not bought a vehicle yet, but I know I will not be buying this one."

Love this Explorer

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Fair price for the options, fun to drive, comfort"

Cons: "Large pillar between windshield and driver window"

"Ford didn't cheap out on the interior. It's loaded with lots of options and I learn something new every day about SYNC. Love the back up camera, love the voice command, love the navigation, love the sirius, love the heated leather seats, love the blind spot mirrors, quite a bit of power for a v6--not at all sluggish like the 2010, 8 cup holders with 3rd row seating! It's a little wide so if you're petite its hard to order at the drive thru, doors are massive, pillar between windshield and driver window is very large and a blind spot. Ford covered all it's bases to please the techies and it's got a completely different (and better) ride than the previous model."

Such a great vehicle

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "MPG, comfort, options, style, sync"

Cons: "sync bugs, no offroad, hazards button location"

Love this thing

"The one single thing I don't like about the vehicle is I wish it was more capable off road. I think it would be with some more clearance but overall it is a very capable vehicle for most anybody. Ours was used in the snow and ice as well and it handled great. We rarely ever knew the wheels were slipping unless we looked at the dash to see which wheels were getting the power. I am totaly blown away by the new options ford is coming out with and I love the interactive instrument cluster. I constantly find myself trying to beat my average MPG as well. It's turned into a game and I average 19mpg in a city full of steep hills and lots of stop and go on them. just incredibly impressed with it. I would recomend this to anyone looking for a minivan type of space with an SUV feel and look."

Love this thing

Wanted it for it's great looks!!

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Hanldes like a car, rear camera, blind spot assist"

Cons: "none yet"

"went in to see this truck after seeing them on the road. I could not beleive it was an Explorer. Love the ride and handles like a dream!"

My 9th Explorer... Lovin' it!!

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pros: "See my review"

Cons: "See my review"

"This is Explorer #9. Prior to buying this one, I had a 2008 Lincoln MKX, which I loved, and was planning on getting a new MKX. Since the Explorer was overhauled in design, I thought I'd check it out, too. After driving the MKX, which I loved, and new Explorer, I was sold on the Explorer. The smooth ride was incredible, the safety features were fabulous, the comfort was wonderful. After having the vehicle for one week, we took it on a 2500 mile round-trip road trip. We only stopped for gas, as we did not need to stretch or anything else you usually need to do after driving for a lengthy period. It was that comfortable. My husband loved the Cluster design and all the gages and the way he could track anything and everything. He liked that the car ran self-diagnostics after a certain number of miles (I forgot how many he said it was). I love the SYNC system and the navigation. It's much easier to handle and learn than the one on MKX. I realize it's a newer version, and that's probably why. The rear seats fold up, down, or flat at the touch of a button. They have never malfunctioned. The 3rd row buckets are extremely comfortable. I got stuck sitting in the back when we drove some elderly people up north. I loved it back there! The shelf in the glove compartment is a bonus. There is so much storage between the glove box, the console, and the storage under the radio that I can actually find things I put in them. The rear camera is great and I like that fact that it shows up on the SYNC screen instead of as a little square on the mirror. It also beeps if you are backing out of a parking space and there is a car coming within 3 car lengths in either direction. The front buckets are adjustable in so many ways, it's impossible to not find a comfy position. There are 3 memory buttons for 3 drivers. The mirrors fold in"

The BEST car I have ever owned!

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "My FordTouch, 110 ac plug, 4 bucket seats,moonroof"

Cons: "see text - voice command navigation."

"I have owned this car for one year. I have travelled long distance and around town. I do not have the ecoboost system, and have an average MPH currently of 21.7. This car is easy to own. I love the My Ford Touch system in it and all the extras they have added, including extra cup holders. I have a white Limited with 4 bucket seats, and optional third row seating. The controls for the backseat temperature are simple; my three year old adjusts the back row temperature all by himself. I can also control everything from the panel or the steering wheel controls. My only drawback is the voice control has great difficulty hearing you if there are any road noises, car noise or talking. I find it cumbersome to ask the navigation to find directions by voice control, and then confirm the route by looking at the screen, and again having to activate the navigation by touching the screen. This can be difficult to do while navigating busy roads in an unfamiliar city. Also, at times, the selected route takes a while to load, so I have missed my turnoff before. I know there is an update to the navigation that Ford just released. I just need to find 2 hours out of my day to take it in for that. All in all, the Ford Explorer is a great car. I love the roadside route alerts that let you know if an accident is ahead. You can also use is to check the weather, with live radar feeds, use your cellphone to active the internet within the car, and attach your iPad to watch movies on the main screen. My favorite feature is the 110 ac plug in the console. If you can’t find a car charger, or there is a toy that only has a “house plug” on it, no worries. Just plug it in and get on the raod!"