2014 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,175 - $32,010.

10/7.3

8.0

Based on 148 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

BEST CAR I EVER HAD GREAT SYNC UP WITH EVERYTHING

By on Friday, November 21, 2014

Pros: "RELIABLE EASY OF USE"

Cons: "POWER"

"BEST CAR I EVER HAD GREAT SYNCS UP WITH EVERYTHING PHONE ECT."

Love it!!

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "very very very little I would change"

"We LOVE this vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Vehicle that needs small upgrades to be perfect

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

Pros: "comfortable, space, stability"

Cons: "steering wheel design, door cup-holders, SYNC"

"The vehicle has good driving. I drove from NH all the way to Orlando, FL and back, I didn't feel the road. The car is comfy. I am a detail oriented driver and therefore I get annoyed by small things in a car. Thinking of the Explorer, I can provide feedback on some "small" things that I believe need to change if Ford wants to have this vehicle as one of the best SUVs on the market (price/value/comfort/features). Before I go and list the things requiring a change, I want to state that this vehicle is still among the top five I would recommend to anyone. So, the annoying things for me as a driver are: 1.Small door cup-holders (height is not enough for a regular coffee cup or a small water bottle) 2. Weirdly designed steering wheel (unable to "lock" the steering wheel with my thumbs, holding my hands in 9-3 position. I have driven civic, accord, passatt, jetta and I could do that in all of them). In the Explorer, you are forced to hold the steering wheel like you are driving a truck 3. SYNC is not responding fast enough (you are forced to touch multiple times or wait as you are not sure if something was initiated or not) 4. Touch screen is not good for use while you are driving (if you want to change something on the screen, you better stop driving and do it. Old "buttons" approach would be more beneficial and efficient instead of the touch screen. In my Accord, I can changes radio stations, change the heat/AC, CD player etc. without looking at it) 5. Radio volume (it seems that I can not find the perfect volume while driving, it is either to low or it is to loud. This is not good when you have kids sleeping in the vehicle while driving ;-)) 5. Heated seats (maybe this is happening just to my Explorer but what I see is not having any heat on the lower back. Jetta's seats, for example, are heating the lower back as well) If you can live with these small annoyances, this will be a great vehicle for you. We all know that there is no such thing as a "perfect" matching car for anyone. The Explorer is close enough. Oh, and one more thing... I am averaging 21.2 miles per gallon after approx. 21,000 miles driven so far."

sync is still frustrating, but drives nice

By on Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "still use garmin GPS, rather thn navigation system"

"Vehicle drives nice Visibility is poor. My touch/sync is horrible! Maintenance costs have been high"

Best vehicle I've ever bought

By on Saturday, October 04, 2014

Pros: "Handles great. Looks great. AC seats"

Cons: "too small to list"

"Handles awesome in the weather this past winter. Took a long road trip, and the 20" tires are so smooth on the highway. I have received so many compliments on the looks of the vehicle. Bluetooth is great. Has incredible acceleration. I love this vehicle."

One of the best cars I had

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

"I always had a Ford Explorer, this new is my 4th, but so far, this one is the best car, reliable, trustful, confortable, so quiet, and really smooth to drive, good on gas, I got so far 20mph on city, and that's mean a lot to me, putting my self some upgrades, and looks great now....!! I'm glad I have this car and pretty much happy, as some one said, when you take it to wash, there is. The problem with the little roof in the back, but after all..... Love it...!!"

great car

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pros: "all great"

"after dodge, Nissan, mazda, jeep and Mercedes suv (all new) this is best car what I had. I change cars every 3 years due to high miles and this one is great on gas and everything"

Excellent Comfort and Ride

By on Monday, September 15, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, priced competively"

Cons: "Short Battery Life - less than 2 years"

"The 2013 Explorer design lends itself to have a smooth ride and well designed interior for sufficient room to carry 5 adults. The Explorer is very repsonsive to sudden braking and did not sway."

Fresh, Powerful Sexy but the gas tank is too small

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Handles winter roads very well."

Cons: "Gas tank too small"

"Previously owned Mercedes and Lexus. Didn't know if my ego could handle a Ford. LOVE it. Fresh and sexy and powerful. Only problems: 1) gas tank too small. Less than 20 gallons. For a high powered car, too small. 2) The roof hangs over the back window so driving through a car wash leaves the back dirty. People have stopped me and asked about car because they are interested in this model and can't find it on the lot."

Fresh, Powerful Sexy but the gas tank is too small

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Handles winter roads very well."

Cons: "Gas tank too small"

Excellent for first 5K miles

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Attractive, Good interior room, Gas mileage"

Cons: "Front wheel drive, weak brakes & transmission"

"First NEW car I have been totally satisfied with. As it aged, the quality deteriorated quickly. At 60,000 miles the brakes and transmission are failing. In town and road mileage started out 27 and 29. At 60K miles, it has dropped to 23 and 26.. Never got used to the front wheel "swerve factor". It can make you lose control if you hit the gas too much when turning, as to merge into moving traffic from a side street."

Totally satisfied.

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "Great driveability and interior comfort."

Cons: "Software updates."

"47,000 miles and totally satisfied. Great highway or inner city vehicle. Respectable mileage for the size."

Safe and comfortable

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "functional, comfortable"

Cons: "SYNC doesn't cooperate sometimes"

"My wife's daily driver. We have had it 2 years and are very happy. Love the 20" wheels, glad we went for them and they are great for the looks but they don't do any favors for the ride. We've averaged 20.5 mpg in 20,000 miles so far with the vehicle 50% loaded most of the time so I'm impressed with that. The 3rd row is nice but I wouldn't put an adult back there. The SYNC is fun but isn't without its glitches. It's not the driving experience I hoped it would be in hill country, but I didn't want to pay 10,000 more for a MDX....so. It's not an SUV, it's a crossover. It ain't rugged. But it is smooth and quiet....cant have it all. I think we'll keep it. Oh, and the BLIS system has saved the day."

I love this vehicle. Better than my old Scalade

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pros: "Good gas millage."

Cons: "The stick has a sensor (+/-) is alredy broken."

"My Ford Explorer Limited Edition, it is comfortable. It rides quiet, the seats are comfortable. It is a reliable vehicle during the winter and snow days, and in the summer it cools off quickly. I'm glad I purchased this vehicle."

Great SUV!

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "Over all great vehicle."

Cons: "Original grill ugly! Bought all chrome snap-on"

"We are very happy with this SUV, even though we stepped down from a Yukon XL! This vehicle proves more than adequate in our retirement."

Love It!

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

"Great SUV"

Great Family Car!

By on Sunday, July 06, 2014

Pros: "VERY Versatile, comfortable ride and great mpg"

Cons: "Small fuel tank, Slow acceleration"

"I own the 2013 XLT 3.5 liter v6, and my family of 6 an I absolutely love this car! We get great gas mileage, especially for an SUV. We traded in our Minivan for our explorer, and not only is it more stylish, but it gets better gas mileage, is more comfortable on long distance trips (with twins in booster seats, and 5 other passengers, we all remained as comfortable as you could possibley expect on a 700+ mile road trip), it can pull our boat, and with 4wd, instead of awd, it is easier and cheaper to maintain, and drove with ease in 10" of snow. It Is VERY Easy and Comfortable To drive on all roads and terrain. Only negatives, is that it only has an 18 gallon tank, so even with great mileage, you have to stop and fill up 300 miles or so (that's with the v6), and when you accelerate, the transmission takes a few seconds to catch up. Other than that, no complaints, and I have previously owned cars, trucks, vans, and our Explorer is by far the best car we've had yet."

Great car

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pros: "Everything, great looking inside and out"

Cons: "Would like tint on the front windows"

"I have been looking at reviews & pricing for this car for months and I finally pulled the trigger on the limited 2014. We absolutely love it, the technology is awesome and the sync touch screen is not nearly as bad as some reviews say. It is just like getting a new phone or computer, it takes about a week to get used to everything. My Ford Explorer is very comfortable and plenty of room in the back for my kids. It does feel a bit big on the inside like others have said but it is easier to drive than my small 350Z. I was initially going to get a loaded XLT but for roughly $2600 more you are in the Limited and it has some great features. This car has a lot of tech inside so if you are like my wife and have troubles with new advances then you might need help getting everything set up. If I would change anything I would like the front windows with tint on them but I understand why they did not add it and for $70 I will just drop it off at the tint shop."

2nd Explorer, great value

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Features, space, looks, interior"

Cons: "Some plastic parts that are not that great looking"

"After testing couple vehicles of same size, that cost a lot more I have to say they Explorer is impressive. I love tech features and all the space. Blind spot monitoring and myford touch + sync are also great. For people that like technology Explorer will feel like great option. I test drove X5 and ml350, but there almost 50% price premium was not justified, especially since they don't even have some of fords features. Not to mention that maintenance of ford comparing to x5 is a lot cheaper. Oil change for example is 3 times less..."

Poorly manufactured body

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Cons: "Everything about this SUV is a CON to me"

"I'm so disappointed with my 2014 Explorer. There is so much plastic on the body of this SUV it's pathetic. I traded in a 2003 mazda tribute. It was the best SUV I've owned. I read good reviews about the Ford Explorer and felt like Ford had a good reputation. I was wrong. For a $30000 + SUV the inside and especially the outside are CHEAPLY made. I can't wait to get rid of it and buy a well made SUV!"

Great SUV, love it.

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive, efficent and stylish."

Cons: "A 6'4" person can not be comfortable driving"

"I bought this vehicle new, have since re-married to a 6'4", 250lb man. Just not enough room for him, so thinking of an Expedition. Love my Fords."

AWESOME CAR

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

"My 1st ford got the sport well worth the extra money for the bigger engine. The 2.0L was underpowered. Most comfort of any car I have owned. My ford system is easy to operate if you can read left to righ up to down. Very nice ride."

Very good vehicle.

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Everything."

Cons: "Slight problem with Nav/Gps but fixed under warran"

"Ride, appearance, room, dependability, amenities/technology all fantastic. Slight problem with Nav/Gps but fixed under warranty. I highly recommend this vehicle."

No room in second row

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "price was good, quiet drive."

Cons: "No room for children in car seats."

"I have had the 2013 Ford explorer for a month. We bought it new, but immediately I wanted to return it. Now I will say that the ride is smooth and quiet. However,I have 2 children, one in a booster seat and one in a car seat. Neither one of my children are able to sit comfortably in the 2nd row. The younger child has to sit with his legs apart or crossed in the car seat in order to ride. My husband and I are both a little over 6' tall, so of course the front seats have to be pushed back. This leaves no room in the back. We owned a 2003 Ford Explorer before purchasing this one. The older model had way more room in the back for the children. And to top if off, I called the dealer the next day, and was told there is no time for the customer to return the vehicle. The sales person was very rude about the whole thing, and then mentioned about me getting a survey in an email. I completed my survey, including my dissatisfaction, and I guess Ford let them know. After that the sales person started harassing me about my survey and how it was connected to a bonus. I can't wait to get rid of this car. I am not satisfied at all."

Very Good SUV

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "Very luxurious for a Ford"

Cons: "Kind of spendy for the limited edition"

"Great car, good power with decent gas mileage. The interior is top quality and contrary to what you hear I really like the MyFordTouch. Couldn't imagine having another car without it."