• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,142 - $31,911.

10/7.3

8.0

Based on 140 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Fresh, Powerful Sexy but the gas tank is too small

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Handles winter roads very well."

Cons: "Gas tank too small"

"Previously owned Mercedes and Lexus. Didn't know if my ego could handle a Ford. LOVE it. Fresh and sexy and powerful. Only problems: 1) gas tank too small. Less than 20 gallons. For a high powered car, too small. 2) The roof hangs over the back window so driving through a car wash leaves the back dirty. People have stopped me and asked about car because they are interested in this model and can't find it on the lot."

Fresh, Powerful Sexy but the gas tank is too small

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Handles winter roads very well."

Cons: "Gas tank too small"

Excellent for first 5K miles

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Attractive, Good interior room, Gas mileage"

Cons: "Front wheel drive, weak brakes & transmission"

"First NEW car I have been totally satisfied with. As it aged, the quality deteriorated quickly. At 60,000 miles the brakes and transmission are failing. In town and road mileage started out 27 and 29. At 60K miles, it has dropped to 23 and 26.. Never got used to the front wheel "swerve factor". It can make you lose control if you hit the gas too much when turning, as to merge into moving traffic from a side street."

Totally satisfied.

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "Great driveability and interior comfort."

Cons: "Software updates."

"47,000 miles and totally satisfied. Great highway or inner city vehicle. Respectable mileage for the size."

Safe and comfortable

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "functional, comfortable"

Cons: "SYNC doesn't cooperate sometimes"

"My wife's daily driver. We have had it 2 years and are very happy. Love the 20" wheels, glad we went for them and they are great for the looks but they don't do any favors for the ride. We've averaged 20.5 mpg in 20,000 miles so far with the vehicle 50% loaded most of the time so I'm impressed with that. The 3rd row is nice but I wouldn't put an adult back there. The SYNC is fun but isn't without its glitches. It's not the driving experience I hoped it would be in hill country, but I didn't want to pay 10,000 more for a MDX....so. It's not an SUV, it's a crossover. It ain't rugged. But it is smooth and quiet....cant have it all. I think we'll keep it. Oh, and the BLIS system has saved the day."

I love this vehicle. Better than my old Scalade

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pros: "Good gas millage."

Cons: "The stick has a sensor (+/-) is alredy broken."

"My Ford Explorer Limited Edition, it is comfortable. It rides quiet, the seats are comfortable. It is a reliable vehicle during the winter and snow days, and in the summer it cools off quickly. I'm glad I purchased this vehicle."

Great SUV!

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "Over all great vehicle."

Cons: "Original grill ugly! Bought all chrome snap-on"

"We are very happy with this SUV, even though we stepped down from a Yukon XL! This vehicle proves more than adequate in our retirement."

Love It!

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

"Great SUV"

Great Family Car!

By on Sunday, July 06, 2014

Pros: "VERY Versatile, comfortable ride and great mpg"

Cons: "Small fuel tank, Slow acceleration"

"I own the 2013 XLT 3.5 liter v6, and my family of 6 an I absolutely love this car! We get great gas mileage, especially for an SUV. We traded in our Minivan for our explorer, and not only is it more stylish, but it gets better gas mileage, is more comfortable on long distance trips (with twins in booster seats, and 5 other passengers, we all remained as comfortable as you could possibley expect on a 700+ mile road trip), it can pull our boat, and with 4wd, instead of awd, it is easier and cheaper to maintain, and drove with ease in 10" of snow. It Is VERY Easy and Comfortable To drive on all roads and terrain. Only negatives, is that it only has an 18 gallon tank, so even with great mileage, you have to stop and fill up 300 miles or so (that's with the v6), and when you accelerate, the transmission takes a few seconds to catch up. Other than that, no complaints, and I have previously owned cars, trucks, vans, and our Explorer is by far the best car we've had yet."

Great car

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pros: "Everything, great looking inside and out"

Cons: "Would like tint on the front windows"

"I have been looking at reviews & pricing for this car for months and I finally pulled the trigger on the limited 2014. We absolutely love it, the technology is awesome and the sync touch screen is not nearly as bad as some reviews say. It is just like getting a new phone or computer, it takes about a week to get used to everything. My Ford Explorer is very comfortable and plenty of room in the back for my kids. It does feel a bit big on the inside like others have said but it is easier to drive than my small 350Z. I was initially going to get a loaded XLT but for roughly $2600 more you are in the Limited and it has some great features. This car has a lot of tech inside so if you are like my wife and have troubles with new advances then you might need help getting everything set up. If I would change anything I would like the front windows with tint on them but I understand why they did not add it and for $70 I will just drop it off at the tint shop."

2nd Explorer, great value

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Features, space, looks, interior"

Cons: "Some plastic parts that are not that great looking"

"After testing couple vehicles of same size, that cost a lot more I have to say they Explorer is impressive. I love tech features and all the space. Blind spot monitoring and myford touch + sync are also great. For people that like technology Explorer will feel like great option. I test drove X5 and ml350, but there almost 50% price premium was not justified, especially since they don't even have some of fords features. Not to mention that maintenance of ford comparing to x5 is a lot cheaper. Oil change for example is 3 times less..."

Poorly manufactured body

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Cons: "Everything about this SUV is a CON to me"

"I'm so disappointed with my 2014 Explorer. There is so much plastic on the body of this SUV it's pathetic. I traded in a 2003 mazda tribute. It was the best SUV I've owned. I read good reviews about the Ford Explorer and felt like Ford had a good reputation. I was wrong. For a $30000 + SUV the inside and especially the outside are CHEAPLY made. I can't wait to get rid of it and buy a well made SUV!"

Great SUV, love it.

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive, efficent and stylish."

Cons: "A 6'4" person can not be comfortable driving"

"I bought this vehicle new, have since re-married to a 6'4", 250lb man. Just not enough room for him, so thinking of an Expedition. Love my Fords."

AWESOME CAR

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

"My 1st ford got the sport well worth the extra money for the bigger engine. The 2.0L was underpowered. Most comfort of any car I have owned. My ford system is easy to operate if you can read left to righ up to down. Very nice ride."

Very good vehicle.

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Everything."

Cons: "Slight problem with Nav/Gps but fixed under warran"

"Ride, appearance, room, dependability, amenities/technology all fantastic. Slight problem with Nav/Gps but fixed under warranty. I highly recommend this vehicle."

No room in second row

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "price was good, quiet drive."

Cons: "No room for children in car seats."

"I have had the 2013 Ford explorer for a month. We bought it new, but immediately I wanted to return it. Now I will say that the ride is smooth and quiet. However,I have 2 children, one in a booster seat and one in a car seat. Neither one of my children are able to sit comfortably in the 2nd row. The younger child has to sit with his legs apart or crossed in the car seat in order to ride. My husband and I are both a little over 6' tall, so of course the front seats have to be pushed back. This leaves no room in the back. We owned a 2003 Ford Explorer before purchasing this one. The older model had way more room in the back for the children. And to top if off, I called the dealer the next day, and was told there is no time for the customer to return the vehicle. The sales person was very rude about the whole thing, and then mentioned about me getting a survey in an email. I completed my survey, including my dissatisfaction, and I guess Ford let them know. After that the sales person started harassing me about my survey and how it was connected to a bonus. I can't wait to get rid of this car. I am not satisfied at all."

Very Good SUV

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "Very luxurious for a Ford"

Cons: "Kind of spendy for the limited edition"

"Great car, good power with decent gas mileage. The interior is top quality and contrary to what you hear I really like the MyFordTouch. Couldn't imagine having another car without it."

This SUV Has Been A Great Choice

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Good SUV"

Cons: "Sinc and Touch Screen need lots of work"

"Has Been a good ride 70000 miles no problems,with the running gears.. touch screen and Sinc"now that needs a lot of work" has to be upgraded all the time.I pull a 3500 pound boat to the lake 2 or 3 times a month, 65 miles round trip, does it with ease.."

Best Vehicle I've owned so Far!

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pros: "Jack-of-all-trades vehicles, reliable"

Cons: "Not made for specifics, i.e off-roading, tech..."

"After driving several luxury vehicles, I have been absolutely in love with my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT model for over 3 years now, and will be loyal to Ford when looking for my next "luxury vehicle". I did have initial heart aches with Sync, but Ford's constant reachback with me, and continuous updates have made this a "luxury vehicle" with no issues and one of the most impressive immersions with technology that I have used to date. The ride is smooth, the control just right, and power enough for my personal needs. When searching I needed a vehicle that was able to go psuedo-offroading, far enough into the fields or forest that didn't require true 4-wheel drive provided from the likes of Jeep. Comfortable enough to make passengers pass out easily (happens too often), and strong enough to haul the occasional small vehicle or trailer. Of the vehicles I have enjoyed the 2011 Ford Explorer is my favorite, has served my family well over the last 3 years, and is recommended by me to all interested in hearing about how awesome it is. 3 Years later friends riding in this vehicle are surprised by all the features that have come with it, and spurred Ford purchases of their own."

Great car

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

"V6. GREAT power and we still get 25+ mpg. Great SUV"

Impressive!

By on Thursday, April 03, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, comfortable, awesome in the snow!"

Cons: "Wish I could have afforded more options..."

"I would recommend this vehicle for several reasons. This vehicle provides a smooth and comfortable ride. I travel approx. 600 miles a week for my job. I am currently assigned to a region in the USA which has an abundance of snow and bitter cold temperatures. This vehicle has never had trouble despite seeing numerous others along the side of the road! In my opinion, it's the overall best buy for a SUV."

Great SUV I can trust for another 12 years

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Acceleration, better gas mileage, luxury, quality"

"I traded my 2002 Explorer for a newer model because the one I've drove and owned for 12 years was trouble free there wasn't any mechanical problems was an reliable SUV. Now I am happy with my 2014 Explorer its best in more technology features includes my FordTouch is best with interface and controls are really neat every available option fully loaded on Platinum package bought on this model. The SUV has more acceleration with great gas mileage, comfortable seats, heated seats, navigation, dual panoramic moon roof, moving object detection and much more. I love my 2nd Explorer being more restyled and it rides better given me a quieter drive and upgraded interior on everything so best on my Explorer. There are lots of room, great features and sync system is awesome too looks exactly like a BMW having LED lights and top of the line in its new quality."

Pleasantly Surprised

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Great Ride quality"

Cons: "A bit pricey NAV should come standard."

"We really love the explorer. It really has an exceptional ride quality I was not expecting. A pleasure to drive. We had some issues with the APM which is part of the SYNC system and have had several software upgrades to the unit (covered under warranty) other than that we have been very pleased with the vehicle with regard to ride, comfort and quality. We plan on trading the vehicle in on an explorer sport."

Excellent Vehicle For The High Country

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Build quality, power, quiet, good handling for SUV"

Cons: "Touch screen takes getting used to"

"Comfortable, reliable, easy-to-use AWD system. Mileage decent for an SUV -- I get close to 21 MPG overall. Very quiet and solid on the highway, adequate off road but, to me, not the kind of vehicle you take way off road into the deep woods. Some people don't like MyFord Touch -- I never found it difficult to use, but it does have some quirks that take getting used to. SYNC, on the other hand, is a real plus."

Love it!

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "Body style, fun to drive, comfortable, safety"

"I love this vehicle! It looks sporty and has great get up and go!"