• 2014 Compact SUVs

2013 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $27,052 - $27,987.

10/7.4

7.8

Based on 120 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Winter Driving Nightmare

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "Interior Room, Gase Mileage"

Cons: "Horrible in the snow."

"While stuck in 6 inches of snow on a slight incline in my sub-division, other front wheel drive cars EASILY drove around me. It took 5 men to push me to a point where I could get to even ground where I could still barely drive the vehicle. This car is the worst vehicle I have ever owned in the snow. Its great on gas mileage and room, but be careful in the Winter, the Traction Control engages too easily and, as far as I can tell, cannot be disengaged."

Well appointed luxury SUV

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, comfort and features"

Cons: "Navigation and climate control system ease of use."

"I enjoy driving the Explorer Limited. It handles well and the engine runs smooth and quiet. I tow a 3500 lb travel trailer with ease and get good gas mileage around town. It has a lot of great features but also some, like the navigation system, that are cumbersome to use. Overall, I have been very happy with the vehicle."

MY FAVORITE CAR

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "fun"

Cons: "not enough storage in the car"

"This is my 4th Ford Explorer, last one was sold after 8 years (the longest I have held on to a car). The car is very comfortable, seats are great and can be positioned in so many different positions. I love the heated and air conditioned seats and steering wheel."

Not worth the money.

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "lots of space, awesome stability"

Cons: "mpg is to low, lots of electronics problems"

"My first Ford is also gonna be my last. It is advertised to do 19mpg but honestly I never got more then 15mpg's out of it. It's true that it is absolutely comfortable and with a lot of space on the inside with good looks on the outside but unless you are a professional driver it is a pain to back up without a camera. I did some good trail/off roading with it and it just sticks to the road. It is amazing how stable it is. But the stability and space are the only things that are good on it. Upkeep on this model is just a pain. Electronics are the biggest issue. From the antenna down to the tires I have had a problem with everything. Ford is gonna tell you there is nothing wrong with it but when everyday something is not working the way it should you know something is wrong. I would not recommend this to anybody. The new models 2013/2014 may be different."

Worst vehicle ever!!

By on Sunday, January 05, 2014

Pros: "Ride comfort"

Cons: "Too many to list. Everything else."

"Horrible vehicle. I have a giant list of problems and Ford kept vehicle a week and didn't fix 90% of its issues. They just said I either had to live with the flaws or that some were out of warranty. My car is one year old and only 44k miles. Really?? It's a very comfortable ride. Best feature by far. Beyond that, worst car ever. Please don't get lured into buying. Problems: gas tank leaks/recalls, hvac, computer, navigation, touch screen, fuel feed system from pedal - 2-second hesitation when floored from stop or at any speed (super dangerous), etc. Ford designers might wanna drive an Acura MDX before next model change..."

Great vehicle for a small family

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "A looker both inside and out. Fun to drive."

Cons: "Tad bit expensive. Not the ideal family vehicle."

"After owning my 2013 Explorer XLT for the past 12 months here are my reviews; OUTSIDE: PROS: The body style, though three years old now, still surprises some people when they find out it's a Ford Explorer. Great design upgrade Ford! The ride is smooth and the wind noise is kept to a minimum for an SUV. CONS: The seemingly wider body can be a challenge to park in narrow parking lot spaces. The body panels are rounded to where you aren't sure if you are going to hit a vehicle while parking. I've gotten use to it but my wife absolutely hates it. The door panels are large and allow road grime and water inside them but the seals keep it out of the cabin. It's more of a cosmetic thing since the only thing it affects is the appearance when you open the doors. Doesn't offer power folding mirrors. These are becoming popular here in the United States (have been STANDARD on all vehicles manufactured in Japan since 1996) and are very nice when parking in parking lots or "two car" garages (since we all know that two car garages will only fit two compact cars). ELECTRICAL: PROS: I really like the My Ford Touch system and have not had any issues with it. There have been two upgrades that have come out this year but I've never had any issues with my system. (Note that I do NOT own the Navigation system that seems to give others issues) I really enjoy the touch screen and the touch responses are pretty quick. There is a lot there, in particular with the Climate controls, but what touch system now a days isn't. The ability to keep the dash readout clean by allowing you to scroll though different gauge settings and views is a plus as well. Rear view camera is a blessing since the field of view outside the back window isn't very large. CONS: The headlights tend to cause other drivers to flash their lights at you because they think you have your brights on. I'm not a big fan of these type of lights because they concentrate the light and therefore either you can see whats there or you can't. There is a defined line of light that limits your night vision. Inside the line of light you see what's there. Outside the line, you don't! In my opinion, this can be very dangerous. Power driver and passenger seats are nice but a bit on the slow side. Speed these up a bit. With the XLT model there are no seat memory settings offered. INTERIOR ROOM: PROS: The seating is nice and offers room for seven. The third row seat is a nice addition as well. CONS: The third row seating takes away leg room from the back seat passengers and the third row seating is really meant for young children so "technically" you can fit seven, but five of those seven better be young children for comfort reasons. The third row is accessible via a flip up back seat on the passenger side only since the back seat is a 60/40 bench (unless you opt for the captain chairs). In my case, I have two young children in forward facing booster seats and a baby in a rear facing car seat. Because of the third row seating moving the back seats forward, YOU CAN NOT PUT A REAR FACING CHILD SEAT BEHIND THE DRIVER OR PASSENGER SEATS WITHOUT HAVING THOSE SEATS IN A MORE FORWARD POSITION THAN WHAT WOULD BE COMFORTABLE. To help you picture this, I am 5'9" and my daughter's rear facing car seat would not fit behind my seat without my knees hugging the dashboard. A rear facing seat will however fit in the middle of the bench seat just fine with both front seats in a normal position. If you have two children (twins maybe) this would not be a good fit for you. The XLT trim level does NOT offer power adjustable gas and brake pedals. However it does try to compensate for this by offering a manual adjustable steering wheel that you can extend or retract based on your arm length needs. Not a big fan of this limitation since my wife's Expedition has power adjustable pedals and she is rather a bit height challenged. POWER: PROS: The 3.5L V-6 is very adequate for everyday driving duties however I wouldn't want to tow much with it. According to my system checks, I average 19.5 MPG which is pleasantly nice for an SUV. CONS: If you are going to offer a tow package, offer a V-8 OR make the 3.5L Twin-Turbo V-6 an option for every trim level and NOT JUST the Explorer Sport trim."

Starting with problems at 20,000 miles

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Well appointed for a base model, handles well."

Cons: "Noises from nearly all functioning parts."

"I have 21,000 miles on my '13 Ford Explorer and for the past few months the brakes have squeaked when first driven after periods of rest. Dealer's service department blames it on condensation. I can understand that in the mornings, but not necessarily in the afternoons and while I'm no auto expert I don't think that at this mileage I should have any brake noise. Another issue: after backing out of the driveway and shifting the truck into drive, I've applied gas and the RPMs went haywire, yet I wasn't going anywhere. It's an automatic. First time it happened I though for certain that I has mistakenly put the truck in neutral, but the gear was firmly in drive with no wiggle in the shift at all and the "D" was clearly lit indicating that I was in the proper gear. Once the vehicle was put in park and then again in drive, it was fine. Dealer can't find any issue, but it's at least been documented. Dash creaks at times and there's a hum that comes from the front of the truck which eventually subsides within a mile or two. I like the handling of the truck, the interior is well appointed for a base model. I hope that these issues aren't a snapshot of more troubles to come."

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "Power, smooth ride, smooth transmission,"

Cons: "Headlight dimmer could be simpler"

"Rides and drives great. Plenty of power with reg V6. Burns regular grade gas at 20 MPG overall. One recall that went well. Ford Sync could be easier but no harder than a smart phone. Dealer service great. I can't find anything wrong with this vehicle or the 2011 Explorer that I traded in. 2011 had great trade-in value and was just as good. Great red paint. The back window and door seems to get dirty very easily. Seating positions are great."

Solid SUV

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "Looks Greet / Drives Well"

Cons: "None."

"We've have our Explorer for 4 months with no issues. Drives well, looks great, and a solid value. There is no point paying more for a "luxury" SUV."

Love the car H A T E the Sync

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "comfortable, nice, great for travelling"

Cons: "mileage, Sync is unreliable, no folding mirrors"

"I have been leasing this car since late 2011. I am currently a full time real estate agent and having a functioning navigation is a must! PROs: I love the car, its looks and how comfortable it is. We have traveled with it twice and loved it. CONs: As a Realtor, having working navigation is a must since I need my phone free so that I can make appointments confirmation or call clients. So far, Sheehy Ford has had the Sync reset 3 times (Once every 6 months) because they could not figure out why it would not work properly. The last time I took it in, they told me there was an issue with the phone-book data, so I did not download my phone-book this time around but I am still having problems. Here is what I have been dealing with: - Navigation lock up - Navigation won't compute the route and screen just sits in a freezon state - Voice command stopped working for 3 weeks straight then after it did its own maintenance it started working again - Very frequently, it does not have GPS and can't find itself on the map even after successfully computing route (this one is the most annoying) - Route will not compute from touching the screen "compute route" after initiating the navigation from voice control - Black screen then system reboot- this kills phone calls or bluetooth and computed route - random system reboot while driving with or without frozen screen- this also kills all navigation and active calls or bluetooth - back up camera image won't turn off after driving above 5-10 miles threshold At this point I am counting the days until the lease ends so that I can look for another car with a more reliable navigation console. The sad part is that a friend has no problem with his navigation from Sync in his Ford 150 Truck. If navigation or SYNC is not a big factor for you, then definitely get the car, otherwise make sure to wait for another update to see if they fix all the bugs. What a disappointment!!"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25