• 2014 Compact SUVs

2013 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $27,083 - $27,986.

10/7.4

7.8

Based on 120 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Impressive!

By on Thursday, April 03, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, comfortable, awesome in the snow!"

Cons: "Wish I could have afforded more options..."

"I would recommend this vehicle for several reasons. This vehicle provides a smooth and comfortable ride. I travel approx. 600 miles a week for my job. I am currently assigned to a region in the USA which has an abundance of snow and bitter cold temperatures. This vehicle has never had trouble despite seeing numerous others along the side of the road! In my opinion, it's the overall best buy for a SUV."

Great SUV I can trust for another 12 years

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Acceleration, better gas mileage, luxury, quality"

"I traded my 2002 Explorer for a newer model because the one I've drove and owned for 12 years was trouble free there wasn't any mechanical problems was an reliable SUV. Now I am happy with my 2014 Explorer its best in more technology features includes my FordTouch is best with interface and controls are really neat every available option fully loaded on Platinum package bought on this model. The SUV has more acceleration with great gas mileage, comfortable seats, heated seats, navigation, dual panoramic moon roof, moving object detection and much more. I love my 2nd Explorer being more restyled and it rides better given me a quieter drive and upgraded interior on everything so best on my Explorer. There are lots of room, great features and sync system is awesome too looks exactly like a BMW having LED lights and top of the line in its new quality."

Pleasantly Surprised

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Great Ride quality"

Cons: "A bit pricey NAV should come standard."

"We really love the explorer. It really has an exceptional ride quality I was not expecting. A pleasure to drive. We had some issues with the APM which is part of the SYNC system and have had several software upgrades to the unit (covered under warranty) other than that we have been very pleased with the vehicle with regard to ride, comfort and quality. We plan on trading the vehicle in on an explorer sport."

Excellent Vehicle For The High Country

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Build quality, power, quiet, good handling for SUV"

Cons: "Touch screen takes getting used to"

"Comfortable, reliable, easy-to-use AWD system. Mileage decent for an SUV -- I get close to 21 MPG overall. Very quiet and solid on the highway, adequate off road but, to me, not the kind of vehicle you take way off road into the deep woods. Some people don't like MyFord Touch -- I never found it difficult to use, but it does have some quirks that take getting used to. SYNC, on the other hand, is a real plus."

Love it!

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "Body style, fun to drive, comfortable, safety"

"I love this vehicle! It looks sporty and has great get up and go!"

i love this car!

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "great safety and comfortable"

"This is my first suv. I have a 2012 and was rear ended by someone going at least 50 mph. I ended up having herniated disks in my neck and a torn rotator cuff in each shoulder. If it wasn't for the ford explorer, I might not be here today to tell this story."

Great car have not had any problems with it

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Pros: "Love it"

Cons: "Wish my wife would let me use it more"

"Bought this car because my wife had to have it. Is was a little nervousness because it was one of the first ones out. It has been a good car haven't had any probs with 46000 miles . It rides good had plenty of power and all the bells and whistles took it hunting and was amazed where it would go and what it would climb. Great SUV ford u guys really surprised me"

Love my Explorer

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "Features, handling"

Cons: "Under powered, My Ford Touch /SYNC issues"

"My Explorer is now almost 3 years old, but I still love to drive it. It is a very comfortable and feature rich vehicle. My favorite features would probably be the heated seats and backup camera, but I also love the feel of the vehicle on the road. I'm not much of an off road driver, but I can say that in inclement weather, having a 4WD vehicle with traction control was comforting! I'm considering purchasing a new vehicle, and the Explorer will be first on my list as I start looking!"

Exactly what I wanted

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Styling, features, handling"

Cons: "gear ratios, third row leg room"

"I did a lot of research on the web to find what mid-sized SUV I wanted. This Explorer fit the bill perfectly. (Traded in a Toyota Sienna Van). First, the styling caught my attention and after 6 months I still find myself thinking what a great looking car it is. The interior was the most comfortable of several models I test drove (Highlander, Traverse, Grand Cherokee). I love the cockpit and Sync touch screen, works perfectly with my I-phone and Bluetooth music. The vehicle drives great for an SUV compared to past Explorers and truck frame based SUV's. The price and gas mileage fit in line with other car brand's similar sized models. The power could be a little better, although once you learn how the vehicle shifts (up-shifts very fast leaving car in a high gear at low speed) it does fine in normal driving conditions. It would be nice to have the eco-drive available on the less expensive trims. I have had no mechanical problems. I have done some variable conditions road driving (no serious off-road, snow and dirt roads) the car has handled great on icy roads and has multiple settings to help with conditions. A few features that I love are the keyless entry and starter, with the Bluetooth phone paring you never have to fumble to find your keys and phone, grab the door handle, push the start button and go! I love the sound system, my model has the premium sound and it is the best factory system I've heard. I love the cap-less gas valve. A few minor cons: the gas door is on the passenger side and most vehicles seem to be on the driver's side, it has caused some problems at busy gas stations. The door jams are very wide and it is a bit of effort to get out of the vehicle. The third row is for children only, very limited leg room and also makes the second row not comfortable for tall people. Overall I am really happy with the purchase, I got the vehicle certified used and it came with an excellent interest rate. I do not have any regrets buying this Explorer, great job Ford, buy American!"

Great SUV

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Great look, very good ride and plenty of room."

Cons: "Bettor gas mileage and MY Ford needs refinement."

"I really like the way my explorer rides and looks. The car has a good feel on the road and highway. The seats are comfortable and there's plenty of room all the way in the back. This car has good pickup and gets reasonable gas mileage. I wish it got bettor gas mileage on the highway. Mine gets 23-24 straight highway. Overall great value and I really like the look of the car inside and out. The electronics is some times a challenge but overall it works well and I like the nav,"

Winter Driving Nightmare

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "Interior Room, Gase Mileage"

Cons: "Horrible in the snow."

"While stuck in 6 inches of snow on a slight incline in my sub-division, other front wheel drive cars EASILY drove around me. It took 5 men to push me to a point where I could get to even ground where I could still barely drive the vehicle. This car is the worst vehicle I have ever owned in the snow. Its great on gas mileage and room, but be careful in the Winter, the Traction Control engages too easily and, as far as I can tell, cannot be disengaged."

Well appointed luxury SUV

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, comfort and features"

Cons: "Navigation and climate control system ease of use."

"I enjoy driving the Explorer Limited. It handles well and the engine runs smooth and quiet. I tow a 3500 lb travel trailer with ease and get good gas mileage around town. It has a lot of great features but also some, like the navigation system, that are cumbersome to use. Overall, I have been very happy with the vehicle."

MY FAVORITE CAR

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "fun"

Cons: "not enough storage in the car"

"This is my 4th Ford Explorer, last one was sold after 8 years (the longest I have held on to a car). The car is very comfortable, seats are great and can be positioned in so many different positions. I love the heated and air conditioned seats and steering wheel."

Not worth the money.

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "lots of space, awesome stability"

Cons: "mpg is to low, lots of electronics problems"

"My first Ford is also gonna be my last. It is advertised to do 19mpg but honestly I never got more then 15mpg's out of it. It's true that it is absolutely comfortable and with a lot of space on the inside with good looks on the outside but unless you are a professional driver it is a pain to back up without a camera. I did some good trail/off roading with it and it just sticks to the road. It is amazing how stable it is. But the stability and space are the only things that are good on it. Upkeep on this model is just a pain. Electronics are the biggest issue. From the antenna down to the tires I have had a problem with everything. Ford is gonna tell you there is nothing wrong with it but when everyday something is not working the way it should you know something is wrong. I would not recommend this to anybody. The new models 2013/2014 may be different."

Worst vehicle ever!!

By on Sunday, January 05, 2014

Pros: "Ride comfort"

Cons: "Too many to list. Everything else."

"Horrible vehicle. I have a giant list of problems and Ford kept vehicle a week and didn't fix 90% of its issues. They just said I either had to live with the flaws or that some were out of warranty. My car is one year old and only 44k miles. Really?? It's a very comfortable ride. Best feature by far. Beyond that, worst car ever. Please don't get lured into buying. Problems: gas tank leaks/recalls, hvac, computer, navigation, touch screen, fuel feed system from pedal - 2-second hesitation when floored from stop or at any speed (super dangerous), etc. Ford designers might wanna drive an Acura MDX before next model change..."

Great vehicle for a small family

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "A looker both inside and out. Fun to drive."

Cons: "Tad bit expensive. Not the ideal family vehicle."

"After owning my 2013 Explorer XLT for the past 12 months here are my reviews; OUTSIDE: PROS: The body style, though three years old now, still surprises some people when they find out it's a Ford Explorer. Great design upgrade Ford! The ride is smooth and the wind noise is kept to a minimum for an SUV. CONS: The seemingly wider body can be a challenge to park in narrow parking lot spaces. The body panels are rounded to where you aren't sure if you are going to hit a vehicle while parking. I've gotten use to it but my wife absolutely hates it. The door panels are large and allow road grime and water inside them but the seals keep it out of the cabin. It's more of a cosmetic thing since the only thing it affects is the appearance when you open the doors. Doesn't offer power folding mirrors. These are becoming popular here in the United States (have been STANDARD on all vehicles manufactured in Japan since 1996) and are very nice when parking in parking lots or "two car" garages (since we all know that two car garages will only fit two compact cars). ELECTRICAL: PROS: I really like the My Ford Touch system and have not had any issues with it. There have been two upgrades that have come out this year but I've never had any issues with my system. (Note that I do NOT own the Navigation system that seems to give others issues) I really enjoy the touch screen and the touch responses are pretty quick. There is a lot there, in particular with the Climate controls, but what touch system now a days isn't. The ability to keep the dash readout clean by allowing you to scroll though different gauge settings and views is a plus as well. Rear view camera is a blessing since the field of view outside the back window isn't very large. CONS: The headlights tend to cause other drivers to flash their lights at you because they think you have your brights on. I'm not a big fan of these type of lights because they concentrate the light and therefore either you can see whats there or you can't. There is a defined line of light that limits your night vision. Inside the line of light you see what's there. Outside the line, you don't! In my opinion, this can be very dangerous. Power driver and passenger seats are nice but a bit on the slow side. Speed these up a bit. With the XLT model there are no seat memory settings offered. INTERIOR ROOM: PROS: The seating is nice and offers room for seven. The third row seat is a nice addition as well. CONS: The third row seating takes away leg room from the back seat passengers and the third row seating is really meant for young children so "technically" you can fit seven, but five of those seven better be young children for comfort reasons. The third row is accessible via a flip up back seat on the passenger side only since the back seat is a 60/40 bench (unless you opt for the captain chairs). In my case, I have two young children in forward facing booster seats and a baby in a rear facing car seat. Because of the third row seating moving the back seats forward, YOU CAN NOT PUT A REAR FACING CHILD SEAT BEHIND THE DRIVER OR PASSENGER SEATS WITHOUT HAVING THOSE SEATS IN A MORE FORWARD POSITION THAN WHAT WOULD BE COMFORTABLE. To help you picture this, I am 5'9" and my daughter's rear facing car seat would not fit behind my seat without my knees hugging the dashboard. A rear facing seat will however fit in the middle of the bench seat just fine with both front seats in a normal position. If you have two children (twins maybe) this would not be a good fit for you. The XLT trim level does NOT offer power adjustable gas and brake pedals. However it does try to compensate for this by offering a manual adjustable steering wheel that you can extend or retract based on your arm length needs. Not a big fan of this limitation since my wife's Expedition has power adjustable pedals and she is rather a bit height challenged. POWER: PROS: The 3.5L V-6 is very adequate for everyday driving duties however I wouldn't want to tow much with it. According to my system checks, I average 19.5 MPG which is pleasantly nice for an SUV. CONS: If you are going to offer a tow package, offer a V-8 OR make the 3.5L Twin-Turbo V-6 an option for every trim level and NOT JUST the Explorer Sport trim."

Starting with problems at 20,000 miles

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Well appointed for a base model, handles well."

Cons: "Noises from nearly all functioning parts."

"I have 21,000 miles on my '13 Ford Explorer and for the past few months the brakes have squeaked when first driven after periods of rest. Dealer's service department blames it on condensation. I can understand that in the mornings, but not necessarily in the afternoons and while I'm no auto expert I don't think that at this mileage I should have any brake noise. Another issue: after backing out of the driveway and shifting the truck into drive, I've applied gas and the RPMs went haywire, yet I wasn't going anywhere. It's an automatic. First time it happened I though for certain that I has mistakenly put the truck in neutral, but the gear was firmly in drive with no wiggle in the shift at all and the "D" was clearly lit indicating that I was in the proper gear. Once the vehicle was put in park and then again in drive, it was fine. Dealer can't find any issue, but it's at least been documented. Dash creaks at times and there's a hum that comes from the front of the truck which eventually subsides within a mile or two. I like the handling of the truck, the interior is well appointed for a base model. I hope that these issues aren't a snapshot of more troubles to come."

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "Power, smooth ride, smooth transmission,"

Cons: "Headlight dimmer could be simpler"

"Rides and drives great. Plenty of power with reg V6. Burns regular grade gas at 20 MPG overall. One recall that went well. Ford Sync could be easier but no harder than a smart phone. Dealer service great. I can't find anything wrong with this vehicle or the 2011 Explorer that I traded in. 2011 had great trade-in value and was just as good. Great red paint. The back window and door seems to get dirty very easily. Seating positions are great."

Solid SUV

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "Looks Greet / Drives Well"

Cons: "None."

"We've have our Explorer for 4 months with no issues. Drives well, looks great, and a solid value. There is no point paying more for a "luxury" SUV."

Love the car H A T E the Sync

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "comfortable, nice, great for travelling"

Cons: "mileage, Sync is unreliable, no folding mirrors"

"I have been leasing this car since late 2011. I am currently a full time real estate agent and having a functioning navigation is a must! PROs: I love the car, its looks and how comfortable it is. We have traveled with it twice and loved it. CONs: As a Realtor, having working navigation is a must since I need my phone free so that I can make appointments confirmation or call clients. So far, Sheehy Ford has had the Sync reset 3 times (Once every 6 months) because they could not figure out why it would not work properly. The last time I took it in, they told me there was an issue with the phone-book data, so I did not download my phone-book this time around but I am still having problems. Here is what I have been dealing with: - Navigation lock up - Navigation won't compute the route and screen just sits in a freezon state - Voice command stopped working for 3 weeks straight then after it did its own maintenance it started working again - Very frequently, it does not have GPS and can't find itself on the map even after successfully computing route (this one is the most annoying) - Route will not compute from touching the screen "compute route" after initiating the navigation from voice control - Black screen then system reboot- this kills phone calls or bluetooth and computed route - random system reboot while driving with or without frozen screen- this also kills all navigation and active calls or bluetooth - back up camera image won't turn off after driving above 5-10 miles threshold At this point I am counting the days until the lease ends so that I can look for another car with a more reliable navigation console. The sad part is that a friend has no problem with his navigation from Sync in his Ford 150 Truck. If navigation or SYNC is not a big factor for you, then definitely get the car, otherwise make sure to wait for another update to see if they fix all the bugs. What a disappointment!!"

2014 EXPLORER SPORT - AWESOME

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, quick, attention grabber"

Cons: "people think i'm a cop, wish radio went louder"

"Awesome car! This is my first SUV I've had and i love it. I feel the right height is perfect. Not too low, and not to high. I dont feel like i'm going to rip my pants when trying to get in like I feel when i'm getting in my buddy's F-150 (no step), yet its high enough to see the road and feel confident while driving. the interior provides options for different interior configurations and it seemed to work perfectly for the one road trip i've had so far. when i first bought the car i though it was a big sluggish than expected. However, I have about 4,000 miles on it now and it seems to be getting quicker everyday and its now about the level i expected it to be. (love hovering around 40mph then punching it!) also, i feel confident in quick cornering, i dont feel like i'm going to tip over. i've even taken the circle exit ramps at 50mph no problem as i would in my mustang also. overall i'm happy with it 100%.. no regrets. i love the look of the sport amd i wouldnt have it any other way. One downside is by having a white explorer with a black grill many people think i'm a cop from a distance so i've seen may car in front of me slow down when i'm coming up on them! (but its also funny). i love the car and i wouldnt trade it for anything. but there a just a couple con's i've came up with: 1. myford touch doesnt recognize pandora 2. i cant get lane keep assist in the sport model 3. i cant get park assist in the sport model 4. no HID lights w/ LED license plte light 5. no automatic wipers.... for 50k i'd expect automatic wipers and HID's to make it look like its worth every bit of that 50,000 i have everything fully loaded besides the screens in the headrest and my sticker price was 49,700. however i'm leasing the car on the Z-plan. 2,000 down 466/month for 24months. 15k miles/yr. hope this helps!"

Comfortable, quiet, driving dream.

By on Sunday, November 10, 2013

"MSRP was $50K. Way too expensive, but a few discounts helped. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I've had it for a year now and am still learning about the many electronic functions. It drives like a dream. My wife and I feel safe and secure in it; especially with the auto braking, adaptive cruise control, and lane keeping warnings. One thing I miss from my previous vehicle is a "mute" button for the sound system. Considering all the electronic features, I don't know why they didn't include the "mute". If you buy one, you'll love it!"

Not the Explorer of the past

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Love its looks. Almost everything you need."

Cons: "Third row of seats should be an option."

"I intended to purchase one, but did not because it is a van in sheep clothing. I don't want a third row of seats (If I wanted to haul kids I would buy a van). I want to use it for exploring, hunting, and fishing. The third row has eliminated all hidden storage. My current SUV allows me to store jumper cables, rope, tools, emergency equipment and whatever I would like to carry for emergency in an area where it can be out of the way and hopefully never used. A flat sectioned lift panel from the fifth door to the back of the second row of seats is more practical for the "old" Explorer novice."

2013 ford explorer XLT

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "Quite, smooth ride, turn radius, the design"

"I have had my explorer for 6 months Me and my husband both absolutely love it!! I got the V6 and it does great on gas between 18 and 20 in town! It drives like a car I turn around and it's like I'm in a car very easy to do I was impressed! I got the xlt with just the tow package and 4 wheel drive those are the only extras I got and the only thing I have noticed is the radio is still on when the car is off and we have locked and shut the doors but it doesn't stay on very long. We have tried the 4 wheel drive in sand and it did awesome very impressed! I also towed a small camper and it did great it only got 14 miles to the gallon towing but pulled great! The third row seating is great my mom and I both sat back there and we had enough room and was able to get out easily. Since the new explorers have the 6 speed transmission you kind of feel it jerk mostly when you are slowing down and not braking because the transmission is downshifting but I have gotten use to it. I am happy with power! I think if you choose to have all the technology and electrical gadgets it's bound that something will go out no matter what kind of car you have! I'm glad I went with and XLT with not much extras I plan to keep this explorer for 10 to 15 years and I'm not worried that it won't last that long! I got the Kodiac brown as the exterior color it is very pretty when it is clean and the sun is shining on it otherwise everyone thinks it is black which I don't like but I still love the color it is unique! Love this car!!"

Wow what a cool vehicle

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "Power, suspension"

"Perfect in every way - power makes mountain passes as fast as you want to go, effortless, amazing handling, MPG 23 -24.5 Hwy 18 city,easiest 3000 mi road trip I have ever taken - have the four captains chairs make kids easy - only minor flaw is software for computer had to be updated"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25