2011 Ford Explorer

8.1

Based on 160 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Very satisfied so far

By on Monday, February 16, 2015

Pros: "Ride and acceleration (Sport with twin turbo)"

Cons: "Touch screen and steering wheel functions"

"I've owned 3 SUVs in the past 3 years (the 2 others were Chrysler products). I got out of the others because they were low quality and unreliable (I had to bring my 2014 Jeep GC in over a dozen times for transmission issues). I've only owned this vehicle for about a month, but so far, I'm very happy with it. I own a 2015 Explorer Sport, and by far the best things about it are the ride and the acceleration. Even with the stiff suspension, the ride is smoother than other SUVs, and the twin turbo delivers smooth acceleration, turning an otherwise lumbering vehicle into a much quicker one. Handling is good for it's size, but I can't say it's nimble. The seats are among the most comfortable I've sat in, although I've had trouble finding a comfortable driving position. That's the one area where I think they could improve - interior design. Having bought the Sport version, I like to drive, and like to have my hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel or on top at 12. Everything about the steering wheel is laid out for a lower hand position - maybe 8 and 4. The steering wheel also appears to be less vertical than other vehicles that I've driven - again dictating a lower hand position. This makes it hard not only to get into a comfortable driving position, but also more difficult to use the steering wheel buttons. Having buttons on the rear of the steering wheel like other SUVs do would be a big plus. My other complaint has to do with the touch screen. Because the steering wheel functions are hard to use (I have to go into a menu and hit a button 4-5 times just to changes devices - FM to Sirius), I find myself using the touch screen. The buttons on the touch screen are too small, and I find myself really having to focus on the screen in order to hit the correct button instead of focusing on the road. This is something that could be fixed with bigger buttons, and steering wheel functions that are easier to use. Since the performance of the car is what's most important to me, overall I'm happy, but with some design changes, Ford really could have it a home run with this one."

Comfortable

By on Monday, February 09, 2015

Pros: "Debendable, comfortable to drive"

Cons: "Fuel economy , power"

"Little low on power and gas mileage could be better. Overall great vehicle comfortable to drive, plenty of room"

Excellent vehicle overall

By on Sunday, February 08, 2015

Pros: "Ride, dependability, comfort, versatility, perform"

Cons: "Audio in sync system"

"Extremely satisfied overall. Only flaw in the system is the audio in sync system. I use it when I have to and am busy with traffic. It is cumbersome to use and is in itself distracting."

Around town performance is terrible.

By on Friday, February 06, 2015

Pros: "Inside room is good."

Cons: "Needs rear wheel drive."

"Worst driving car I ever owned! Hard to get out of."

excellent vehicle.

By on Monday, January 19, 2015

"The vehicle almost drives itself on the hwy with adaptive cruise control and lane keeping system. It is smooth and quiet and handles well. Would purchase again"