2009 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 406 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Good truck

By on Saturday, June 28, 2008

"Some of the reviews here don't seem to understand that they bought a truck, not a car. The fuel economy has been better than EPA ratings, around 18 MPG mixed driving with a V8. The 6 speed transmission is fantastically smooth- on par with Lexus and MB. The engine is smooth and powerful and the AWD system is automatic and very capable in the snow. We have had a few issues that the dealership repaired around fit and finish, thus the quality ratings. The main challenge with a domestic SUV is the horrid resale value. Our truck was 42K new and is now worth 21K (private party sale) after 16 months and 30K miles. This is both a result of numbers and the current fuel crisis making SUV's less attractive. Our explorer probably gets 10-15% worse mileage than a minivan, but will tow 7000 pounds! We have a camper, and the EX tows like a champ. The 6 speed transmission keeps you in the correct gear and it is effortless. Long highway drives @ the speedlimit will return 16 MPG when towing. (22 when not towing). The factory navigation system is intuitive and well setup (made by Pioneer) and the seats are very comfy. The independent suspension in the rear makes a difference, the handling is secure and no hops are noticible over bumps. The Explorer does have a firm ride (truck/european style) versus the traditional american soft suspension. I prefer this, however it may be too firm for those raised on Oldsmobiles. All in all, a great Swiss Army Knife! We don't use the Explorer every day @ $4 per gallon, but camping, biking, family trips, etc it really shines. Oh, and as a side note, I hit an 800 pound moose at 40 MPH this summer in northern Maine (very remote-- 80 miles to the nearest cell phone signal) and the Explorer held up beautifully. The moose actually landed on the hood, slid up the windshield and onto the roof. The roof did not buckle, the windshield did not even break. Even though the moose was a front end impact, the radiator was not damaged and I was able to drive another 80 miles out of the North Maine Woods without incident. Thank you Ford!!!!"

love my explorer

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"I bought my 2006 with 18,000 miles on it and 2 weeks later, I noticed a little fluid dripping from near the left rear tire and we could hear a small thud. Turned out it was a rear strut, not something that usually goes, Ford was excellent about it, I had brought the vehicle in on a Friday, they would not be able to have the part until Monday and recommended it not be driven over the weekend. Went out of their way to set me up with a comparable rental (I got a loaded Jeep Commander) for the weekend. Had it back on Monday, no problems. Great customer service. We also had a little glitch with the shifter, sometimes you would have to jiggle it to get it out of park, called and explained the situation, they ordered the part, I brought the vehicle in and had it back the same day. I can't say enough about how well Ford backed up their product. There are only a couple of minor things with the Explorer. The 2006 door handles inside are in a weird spot near the bottom of the door but I got used to it. The directional arm is also in weird spot near the top of the steering wheel, again, got used to it. There is a bit of a glare on a very sunny day from the dashboard, I have the light beige interior but I don't notice it that much anymore and the only other thing is that I would like to have more outlets for cell phone chargers, etc. There is only one in the front and one in the back so I have to use an adapter. Not really a big deal but my old Blazer had three so it was just more convenient. Otherwise, it's been a great vehicle, I love the rear air controls (so do the kids), the power third row seats are really great, you can put one down for storage and still have someone sitting in the other one. The leather and suede seats are excellent and surprisingly easy to clean. I was a little nervous about the light color but so far a cherry icee and hot chocolate have cleaned up nicely!!! My Dad has had Explorers since they first came out, his latest is a 2004 but after driving mine, he's looking to upgrade! I also have the V8 engine, the gas mileage is as good if not a little better than my old 6 cyl. Blazer was. I also LOVE the rear park assist and the 4x4 is fabulous."

one Tough SUV

By on Saturday, January 03, 2009

"I bought my 2007 Explorer with the Ironman pkg. in Orange Frost Metallic. First I have to say how much I have enjoyed owning a car with such a rare color. I have gotten alot of compliments on the SUV, way more than my friends with silver and black jeeps and toyotas. This car is so enjoyable to drive in town and on trips to the ski mountain. It handles very well in the snow! So far i have had no problems with the car at all with almost 15,000 miles on it. Im sure that if i mantain it well the car will last forever. The quality of the interior my be lacking compared to toyota, but it looks very nice and stays nice if you take good care of it. I got this car with the same amount of features an options as a new 4runner for close to 8 thousand less."

Avoid

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "Looks nice"

Cons: "Too bad Ford doesnt offer 100k bumper - bumper."

"Radiator went out @ 50k, Transmission slips, replace once already. Cheap plastic interior especially sun-visor and door handle. Blend door actuary went out @ 55k. Sure would like to sell it."

Major dissapointment.

By on Thursday, January 31, 2013

"Owned a 93 T-bird for 120000 problem free miles, and also a '05 F-150, bought used in '07 (with high miles,) but a solid ride none the less, figured this '06 explorer w/23 k miles on it would be as dependable as the above Ford products. Nay, nay. 67k miles and the radiator leaks, the trans needs a solenoid block to correct the 'slams' when shifting into 'R', and the rear axle hub bearings are growling (a common problem on these rigs, I hear.) Guess it's another case of newer, costlier, and make 'em so the service bays at the dealerships stay profitable."

Great truck but little room

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "reliable, fun to drive"

Cons: "not enough cup holders, no enough leg room"

"Love my truck but don't buy if you have older kids. My kids can barely get in the second row. There is no leg room when my husband (6' tall) drives. It has never had brakes, battery, belts, or anything replaced & we have 70K miles on it. Never had to wonder if it was going to start."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"I bought my Exployer XLT in April, 07 and I love it. I do not have one complaint about it. My husband and I have driven it from Florida to TN and on to IN. It was the most comfortable ride we have ever had. The third row seating is excellent and very easy to operate. I love the Cirrus radio. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone. I have the V-6 and it performed wonderfully in the mountains. The leather seats are more comfortable than any I have ever had. ***** rating!!!!!"

Best Vehicle I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Pros: "Beautiful, Comfortable, Dream to drive, Economical"

Cons: "absolutely no cons what so ever!"

"The Ford Explorer is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned. It fits me in all categories. It is beautiful enough to give you a little class without drawing attention to you. The interior is so comfortable and spacious without being a big boat. Good gas mileage and absolutely no problems in the 7 years I have owned it. I am buying a Ford Explorer Sport and my best friend has been waiting for me to sell him my car! Best Car Ever!"

PLAN TO BUY OUR FIFTH EXPLORER SOON

By on Monday, September 05, 2011

Pros: "GREAT VALUE"

Cons: "SUSPENSION A LITTLE STIFF"

"WE BOUGHT THIS CAR USED IN 2009 WITH 15000 MILES ON IT. WE HAVE HAD ONLY ONE REPAIR WHICH WAS A DEFECTIVE SHIFT LEVER. WE GOT 62000 MILES OUT OF THE ORIGINAL TIRES. WE HAVE OWNED THREE OTHER EXOLORERS AND OLAN TO BUY ANOTHER THIS YEAR. WE GET OVER 21 MPG ON A LONG HIGHWAY TRIP. WE CAN GET MORE STUFF IN OUR CAR THAN OUR FRIENDS' ESCALADE OR YUKON. I WOULD RECCOMEND EXPLORERS TO ANYONE."

great from the start

By on Sunday, May 22, 2011

"This suv is everything I expected. I purchased it new in 2006 and have had no problems. Very quick V8 and handles very well. Very comfortable on long trips. Much quiter than the older models. Milage is much better at 70 than at 75. Approx. 21.3 on my last two trips of over 1,000 miles. Would only change the silly looking shift selector."

Ford Explorer

By on Thursday, February 14, 2008

"When I bought this SUV I was trading in a Mercedes ML 350 because I needed something with a third row seat. When I drove the Explorer for the first time it didn't feel much different the my Mercedes so I was very impressed with the ride and how it handled. I do have to say that the explorer was not designed with the tall person in mind. I am 6' 2" and when I put the sun visor down it completely bolcks my view in front of me. When I have the steering wheel lowered to a comfortable position, it blocks the view of the spedometer. I overall do like the truck so I don't mind the somwhat inconvieniences I mentioned. The door latch and gear shift are new and modern...people can never figure out how to get out. The door pull is too low down and uncomfortable for me. I also feel the brake release is too far down. It almost strains my back to reach it. I love the trip computer that tells me everything from how many miles I can drive until empty, my MPG, low tire pressure, if a door is open, when an oil changed is due, etc. I also like that other dirvers seem to move out of my way when they see me coming. It looks bigger than it realy is. Size wise it is perfect for me. I drove the Epedition and felt like I was in a U-haul moving truck. Just too big. The only problem I have had up to this point is that the lumbar support in the drivers seat broke at 7K miles and I can hear a strange squeaking noise comming from the rear right wheel when driving 5 mph. I still haven't taken it in to have it checked out."

Great value for the money

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"My wife and I bought the Explorer because we are having our first baby in Nov. We bought the Explorer last year and I must say that in the time we've had it it has been a great vehicle and we have taken it on several long trips. It is roomy and comfortable and very functional for our needs. The 4.0L gives us plenty of hp and it gets decent hwy mileage for an SUV and a big 6 cyl. I am most impressed with the safety features since it is my wife's vehicle and will be carrying the baby around a lot as well. I would recommend one to any family looking for a nicely priced, optioned and safe SUV."

Useful-dependable-roomy-not economic

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, roomy, can be fun!"

Cons: "Expensive to own and drive."

"I rated this veh. high because it does what I need and I can count on it in winter, which is most important in Maine. The primary seating is comfortable and very adjustable for the driver. Back issues are taken into consideration with adjustable lumbar support, a big plus. Also important to consider are the cargo space and 7 passenger, (not all comfortable), seating. (I am a musician and can pack all the equipment I need for an entire sound system, into the cargo area, or seat up to 7 band members). Economy is not its strong suit, but still not bad for a 4WD vehicle. Summer mpg is near 20. MPG drops considerably when towing, but it handles quite well and runs smoothly when towing in Overdrive. Very good traction, esp with studded 17" tires."

Best tow vehicle in this size ever.

By on Wednesday, May 01, 2013

"Quite, smooth and comfortable. Interior door handles are funky. Best tow vehicle for the size. V8 has power to do anything you need. Regularly pulls a 4000 lb trailer effortlessly. Transmission makes a clunk when cold but has never caused a problem. Ford could not find anything wrong. Love it, would buy another!"

the best car a have ever had

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

"i fall in love with this car @ first time, great look , amazing comfort, runs so smooth and super economic on gas. the best choice i ever made buying a car."

2006 4x4 EBauer V-8

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"Always been a GM and Toyota person for many years. Gave the Explorer a try. Honestly I was very surprised. Crash test is 5 Star & Green, GM comparables (Trailblazer) are 3 & 4 Star, Yellow & Red. More head room and overall interior space than the 4-Runner. Handles great, quiet and very comfortable ride, even when off road. Over 290 HP, Over 300 lbs. Torque. Only thing to ever go wrong was a power window motor. That was it. Everything else still working just fine. 6 CD and Navigation with voice directions = Fantastic. Plenty of rear leg room for passengers. Not sure what the other reviewers are talking about. This SUV is by far the most bang for the buck out there."

Beautiful truck

By on Friday, December 28, 2007

"Having traded in a 2002 Explorer LX, I now have a 2006 Eddie Bauer loaded. The 6 cyl is a little weak in the performance catagory as compared to the V8. The interior is really plush, and the seating is extremely comfortable. Sometimes it like flying a 747 with all the indicators and displays. However, I really like this big bear. Its safe, quiet, and handles real easy. If you want bang for your buck, buy one of these trucks, you'll be glad you did.."

Best of everything

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"This vehicle is large enough for 7 people and can haul a lot of cargo with the rear seat down. Very reliable and easy to drive. Good mileage for an SUV. I average 18.5 city and just over 21 hwy. My wife liked mine so much she bought one for herself."

Great Vehichle

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I bought my 2006 Explorer in April 2007. I have taken it on two long trips, and many one day trips. Anyone thinking about this vehichle needs to compare the V8 option to the standard V6. Mine is a V8 four wheel drive. I love it so far. It has the muscle and capability to go the places I like to go and the zip to pass quickly on two-lane roads. The only problems I have had are electric windows (covered by warranty) and one day it failed to start for a few minutes when I left wal-mart. Eventually it did start and I haven't had the problem again. It would make a great vehichle for famlies or anyone. I am single and it is a great fit for me. I have plenty of room when my family visits (optional third seat)."

I love my car! It is the 2nd explorer I have loved

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "The new design--no!"

Cons: "Cars need a place for ladies'purses."

"I want my explorer to last forever, because I do not like the design changes in the newer models. The dash controls are too busy and less user friendly, the seating is made for taller men only and the rear slope design is now like all the others rather than the squared design I love. My Explorer has been perfect for the many events of my life. It is the perfect height and size. It is elegant, and continues to draw admiring comments 8 years later."

Dependable, Comfortable, Spacious

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

Pros: "ride, quality, appearance, spacious"

Cons: "mpg"

"I have put 130,000 miles on my Explorer since 11/08. Oil changes, thermostat housing, brakes and tires. Bought it knowing it had been wrecked, but price made me take a chance. Has never been aligned and doesn't wear tires. Had to replace one suspension bolt in the front that they missed when it was originally repaired. Gets about 20mpg on highway and about 15 in town. Good in snow. Rides great. Tows 5k with no problem. I would own another one in a heartbeat."

Don't buy

By on Friday, December 09, 2011

Reason: junk

"All I need to say is read consumer reports before you buy wish I would have JUNK!"

Great SUV to own!

By on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pros: "Affordable, tons of fun, lots of room, great powerful engine"

Cons: "Air vents aren't positioned well, not a lot of leg room for passengers, not the best gas mileage"

"I've had this truck for a month now and although I haven't had it long enough for it to prove reliable I just love it. I've never owned an SUV before but I test drove many and this was the easiest and most comfortable one to drive. There are a few things I would change in the interior like how the air vents don't reach up very high and there isn't much leg room in the back for passengers but overall this is a nice ride. I have the v6 4x4 and it doesn't get the best gas mileage...I get about 13/14 miles per gallon just because my work commute is mainly city driving. But I'm sure it will be much better for our family road trips. Can't wait for many more years with this truck. So far so good!"

Very Nice SUV

By on Monday, January 24, 2011

"Very good vehicle after 35,000 miles. Comfortable for long trips, and excellent in poor weather conditions. Am considering ordering the new 2011 Explorer. This will be my 4th Explorer in 9 years!!"

Perfect For Me

By on Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"Excellent SUV, unstoppable in deep snow (high road clearance was a factor). Very comfortable seating and good visibility make it a good road car. Only problem in 4+ years was a chronic/mysterious problem with fuel quantity system that gave false "sensor failure" indications. Dealerships worked with me, eventually finding damaged factory wire harness above fuel tank. Trouble free since. Great usable cargo space does not require high lift to clear tail gate."