2007 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 410 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Good truck

By on Saturday, June 28, 2008

"Some of the reviews here don't seem to understand that they bought a truck, not a car. The fuel economy has been better than EPA ratings, around 18 MPG mixed driving with a V8. The 6 speed transmission is fantastically smooth- on par with Lexus and MB. The engine is smooth and powerful and the AWD system is automatic and very capable in the snow. We have had a few issues that the dealership repaired around fit and finish, thus the quality ratings. The main challenge with a domestic SUV is the horrid resale value. Our truck was 42K new and is now worth 21K (private party sale) after 16 months and 30K miles. This is both a result of numbers and the current fuel crisis making SUV's less attractive. Our explorer probably gets 10-15% worse mileage than a minivan, but will tow 7000 pounds! We have a camper, and the EX tows like a champ. The 6 speed transmission keeps you in the correct gear and it is effortless. Long highway drives @ the speedlimit will return 16 MPG when towing. (22 when not towing). The factory navigation system is intuitive and well setup (made by Pioneer) and the seats are very comfy. The independent suspension in the rear makes a difference, the handling is secure and no hops are noticible over bumps. The Explorer does have a firm ride (truck/european style) versus the traditional american soft suspension. I prefer this, however it may be too firm for those raised on Oldsmobiles. All in all, a great Swiss Army Knife! We don't use the Explorer every day @ $4 per gallon, but camping, biking, family trips, etc it really shines. Oh, and as a side note, I hit an 800 pound moose at 40 MPH this summer in northern Maine (very remote-- 80 miles to the nearest cell phone signal) and the Explorer held up beautifully. The moose actually landed on the hood, slid up the windshield and onto the roof. The roof did not buckle, the windshield did not even break. Even though the moose was a front end impact, the radiator was not damaged and I was able to drive another 80 miles out of the North Maine Woods without incident. Thank you Ford!!!!"

love my explorer

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"I bought my 2006 with 18,000 miles on it and 2 weeks later, I noticed a little fluid dripping from near the left rear tire and we could hear a small thud. Turned out it was a rear strut, not something that usually goes, Ford was excellent about it, I had brought the vehicle in on a Friday, they would not be able to have the part until Monday and recommended it not be driven over the weekend. Went out of their way to set me up with a comparable rental (I got a loaded Jeep Commander) for the weekend. Had it back on Monday, no problems. Great customer service. We also had a little glitch with the shifter, sometimes you would have to jiggle it to get it out of park, called and explained the situation, they ordered the part, I brought the vehicle in and had it back the same day. I can't say enough about how well Ford backed up their product. There are only a couple of minor things with the Explorer. The 2006 door handles inside are in a weird spot near the bottom of the door but I got used to it. The directional arm is also in weird spot near the top of the steering wheel, again, got used to it. There is a bit of a glare on a very sunny day from the dashboard, I have the light beige interior but I don't notice it that much anymore and the only other thing is that I would like to have more outlets for cell phone chargers, etc. There is only one in the front and one in the back so I have to use an adapter. Not really a big deal but my old Blazer had three so it was just more convenient. Otherwise, it's been a great vehicle, I love the rear air controls (so do the kids), the power third row seats are really great, you can put one down for storage and still have someone sitting in the other one. The leather and suede seats are excellent and surprisingly easy to clean. I was a little nervous about the light color but so far a cherry icee and hot chocolate have cleaned up nicely!!! My Dad has had Explorers since they first came out, his latest is a 2004 but after driving mine, he's looking to upgrade! I also have the V8 engine, the gas mileage is as good if not a little better than my old 6 cyl. Blazer was. I also LOVE the rear park assist and the 4x4 is fabulous."

one Tough SUV

By on Saturday, January 03, 2009

"I bought my 2007 Explorer with the Ironman pkg. in Orange Frost Metallic. First I have to say how much I have enjoyed owning a car with such a rare color. I have gotten alot of compliments on the SUV, way more than my friends with silver and black jeeps and toyotas. This car is so enjoyable to drive in town and on trips to the ski mountain. It handles very well in the snow! So far i have had no problems with the car at all with almost 15,000 miles on it. Im sure that if i mantain it well the car will last forever. The quality of the interior my be lacking compared to toyota, but it looks very nice and stays nice if you take good care of it. I got this car with the same amount of features an options as a new 4runner for close to 8 thousand less."

Avoid

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "Looks nice"

Cons: "Too bad Ford doesnt offer 100k bumper - bumper."

"Radiator went out @ 50k, Transmission slips, replace once already. Cheap plastic interior especially sun-visor and door handle. Blend door actuary went out @ 55k. Sure would like to sell it."

Great truck but little room

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "reliable, fun to drive"

Cons: "not enough cup holders, no enough leg room"

"Love my truck but don't buy if you have older kids. My kids can barely get in the second row. There is no leg room when my husband (6' tall) drives. It has never had brakes, battery, belts, or anything replaced & we have 70K miles on it. Never had to wonder if it was going to start."