2006 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 419 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

love my explorer

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"I bought my 2006 with 18,000 miles on it and 2 weeks later, I noticed a little fluid dripping from near the left rear tire and we could hear a small thud. Turned out it was a rear strut, not something that usually goes, Ford was excellent about it, I had brought the vehicle in on a Friday, they would not be able to have the part until Monday and recommended it not be driven over the weekend. Went out of their way to set me up with a comparable rental (I got a loaded Jeep Commander) for the weekend. Had it back on Monday, no problems. Great customer service. We also had a little glitch with the shifter, sometimes you would have to jiggle it to get it out of park, called and explained the situation, they ordered the part, I brought the vehicle in and had it back the same day. I can't say enough about how well Ford backed up their product. There are only a couple of minor things with the Explorer. The 2006 door handles inside are in a weird spot near the bottom of the door but I got used to it. The directional arm is also in weird spot near the top of the steering wheel, again, got used to it. There is a bit of a glare on a very sunny day from the dashboard, I have the light beige interior but I don't notice it that much anymore and the only other thing is that I would like to have more outlets for cell phone chargers, etc. There is only one in the front and one in the back so I have to use an adapter. Not really a big deal but my old Blazer had three so it was just more convenient. Otherwise, it's been a great vehicle, I love the rear air controls (so do the kids), the power third row seats are really great, you can put one down for storage and still have someone sitting in the other one. The leather and suede seats are excellent and surprisingly easy to clean. I was a little nervous about the light color but so far a cherry icee and hot chocolate have cleaned up nicely!!! My Dad has had Explorers since they first came out, his latest is a 2004 but after driving mine, he's looking to upgrade! I also have the V8 engine, the gas mileage is as good if not a little better than my old 6 cyl. Blazer was. I also LOVE the rear park assist and the 4x4 is fabulous."

Avoid

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "Looks nice"

Cons: "Too bad Ford doesnt offer 100k bumper - bumper."

"Radiator went out @ 50k, Transmission slips, replace once already. Cheap plastic interior especially sun-visor and door handle. Blend door actuary went out @ 55k. Sure would like to sell it."

Great truck but little room

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "reliable, fun to drive"

Cons: "not enough cup holders, no enough leg room"

"Love my truck but don't buy if you have older kids. My kids can barely get in the second row. There is no leg room when my husband (6' tall) drives. It has never had brakes, battery, belts, or anything replaced & we have 70K miles on it. Never had to wonder if it was going to start."

PLAN TO BUY OUR FIFTH EXPLORER SOON

By on Monday, September 5, 2011

Pros: "GREAT VALUE"

Cons: "SUSPENSION A LITTLE STIFF"

"WE BOUGHT THIS CAR USED IN 2009 WITH 15000 MILES ON IT. WE HAVE HAD ONLY ONE REPAIR WHICH WAS A DEFECTIVE SHIFT LEVER. WE GOT 62000 MILES OUT OF THE ORIGINAL TIRES. WE HAVE OWNED THREE OTHER EXOLORERS AND OLAN TO BUY ANOTHER THIS YEAR. WE GET OVER 21 MPG ON A LONG HIGHWAY TRIP. WE CAN GET MORE STUFF IN OUR CAR THAN OUR FRIENDS' ESCALADE OR YUKON. I WOULD RECCOMEND EXPLORERS TO ANYONE."

Useful-dependable-roomy-not economic

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, roomy, can be fun!"

Cons: "Expensive to own and drive."

"I rated this veh. high because it does what I need and I can count on it in winter, which is most important in Maine. The primary seating is comfortable and very adjustable for the driver. Back issues are taken into consideration with adjustable lumbar support, a big plus. Also important to consider are the cargo space and 7 passenger, (not all comfortable), seating. (I am a musician and can pack all the equipment I need for an entire sound system, into the cargo area, or seat up to 7 band members). Economy is not its strong suit, but still not bad for a 4WD vehicle. Summer mpg is near 20. MPG drops considerably when towing, but it handles quite well and runs smoothly when towing in Overdrive. Very good traction, esp with studded 17" tires."

Dependable, Comfortable, Spacious

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

Pros: "ride, quality, appearance, spacious"

Cons: "mpg"

"I have put 130,000 miles on my Explorer since 11/08. Oil changes, thermostat housing, brakes and tires. Bought it knowing it had been wrecked, but price made me take a chance. Has never been aligned and doesn't wear tires. Had to replace one suspension bolt in the front that they missed when it was originally repaired. Gets about 20mpg on highway and about 15 in town. Good in snow. Rides great. Tows 5k with no problem. I would own another one in a heartbeat."

2006 4x4 EBauer V-8

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"Always been a GM and Toyota person for many years. Gave the Explorer a try. Honestly I was very surprised. Crash test is 5 Star & Green, GM comparables (Trailblazer) are 3 & 4 Star, Yellow & Red. More head room and overall interior space than the 4-Runner. Handles great, quiet and very comfortable ride, even when off road. Over 290 HP, Over 300 lbs. Torque. Only thing to ever go wrong was a power window motor. That was it. Everything else still working just fine. 6 CD and Navigation with voice directions = Fantastic. Plenty of rear leg room for passengers. Not sure what the other reviewers are talking about. This SUV is by far the most bang for the buck out there."

Ford Explorer

By on Thursday, February 14, 2008

"When I bought this SUV I was trading in a Mercedes ML 350 because I needed something with a third row seat. When I drove the Explorer for the first time it didn't feel much different the my Mercedes so I was very impressed with the ride and how it handled. I do have to say that the explorer was not designed with the tall person in mind. I am 6' 2" and when I put the sun visor down it completely bolcks my view in front of me. When I have the steering wheel lowered to a comfortable position, it blocks the view of the spedometer. I overall do like the truck so I don't mind the somwhat inconvieniences I mentioned. The door latch and gear shift are new and modern...people can never figure out how to get out. The door pull is too low down and uncomfortable for me. I also feel the brake release is too far down. It almost strains my back to reach it. I love the trip computer that tells me everything from how many miles I can drive until empty, my MPG, low tire pressure, if a door is open, when an oil changed is due, etc. I also like that other dirvers seem to move out of my way when they see me coming. It looks bigger than it realy is. Size wise it is perfect for me. I drove the Epedition and felt like I was in a U-haul moving truck. Just too big. The only problem I have had up to this point is that the lumbar support in the drivers seat broke at 7K miles and I can hear a strange squeaking noise comming from the rear right wheel when driving 5 mph. I still haven't taken it in to have it checked out."

Beautiful truck

By on Friday, December 28, 2007

"Having traded in a 2002 Explorer LX, I now have a 2006 Eddie Bauer loaded. The 6 cyl is a little weak in the performance catagory as compared to the V8. The interior is really plush, and the seating is extremely comfortable. Sometimes it like flying a 747 with all the indicators and displays. However, I really like this big bear. Its safe, quiet, and handles real easy. If you want bang for your buck, buy one of these trucks, you'll be glad you did.."

Great value for the money

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"My wife and I bought the Explorer because we are having our first baby in Nov. We bought the Explorer last year and I must say that in the time we've had it it has been a great vehicle and we have taken it on several long trips. It is roomy and comfortable and very functional for our needs. The 4.0L gives us plenty of hp and it gets decent hwy mileage for an SUV and a big 6 cyl. I am most impressed with the safety features since it is my wife's vehicle and will be carrying the baby around a lot as well. I would recommend one to any family looking for a nicely priced, optioned and safe SUV."

Best tow vehicle in this size ever.

By on Wednesday, May 1, 2013

"Quite, smooth and comfortable. Interior door handles are funky. Best tow vehicle for the size. V8 has power to do anything you need. Regularly pulls a 4000 lb trailer effortlessly. Transmission makes a clunk when cold but has never caused a problem. Ford could not find anything wrong. Love it, would buy another!"

the best car a have ever had

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

"i fall in love with this car @ first time, great look , amazing comfort, runs so smooth and super economic on gas. the best choice i ever made buying a car."

Best of everything

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"This vehicle is large enough for 7 people and can haul a lot of cargo with the rear seat down. Very reliable and easy to drive. Good mileage for an SUV. I average 18.5 city and just over 21 hwy. My wife liked mine so much she bought one for herself."

Great Vehichle

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I bought my 2006 Explorer in April 2007. I have taken it on two long trips, and many one day trips. Anyone thinking about this vehichle needs to compare the V8 option to the standard V6. Mine is a V8 four wheel drive. I love it so far. It has the muscle and capability to go the places I like to go and the zip to pass quickly on two-lane roads. The only problems I have had are electric windows (covered by warranty) and one day it failed to start for a few minutes when I left wal-mart. Eventually it did start and I haven't had the problem again. It would make a great vehichle for famlies or anyone. I am single and it is a great fit for me. I have plenty of room when my family visits (optional third seat)."

I love my car! It is the 2nd explorer I have loved

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "The new design--no!"

Cons: "Cars need a place for ladies'purses."

"I want my explorer to last forever, because I do not like the design changes in the newer models. The dash controls are too busy and less user friendly, the seating is made for taller men only and the rear slope design is now like all the others rather than the squared design I love. My Explorer has been perfect for the many events of my life. It is the perfect height and size. It is elegant, and continues to draw admiring comments 8 years later."

Don't buy

By on Friday, December 9, 2011

Reason: junk

"All I need to say is read consumer reports before you buy wish I would have JUNK!"

Great SUV to own!

By on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pros: "Affordable, tons of fun, lots of room, great powerful engine"

Cons: "Air vents aren't positioned well, not a lot of leg room for passengers, not the best gas mileage"

"I've had this truck for a month now and although I haven't had it long enough for it to prove reliable I just love it. I've never owned an SUV before but I test drove many and this was the easiest and most comfortable one to drive. There are a few things I would change in the interior like how the air vents don't reach up very high and there isn't much leg room in the back for passengers but overall this is a nice ride. I have the v6 4x4 and it doesn't get the best gas mileage...I get about 13/14 miles per gallon just because my work commute is mainly city driving. But I'm sure it will be much better for our family road trips. Can't wait for many more years with this truck. So far so good!"

Very Nice SUV

By on Monday, January 24, 2011

"Very good vehicle after 35,000 miles. Comfortable for long trips, and excellent in poor weather conditions. Am considering ordering the new 2011 Explorer. This will be my 4th Explorer in 9 years!!"

Perfect For Me

By on Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"Excellent SUV, unstoppable in deep snow (high road clearance was a factor). Very comfortable seating and good visibility make it a good road car. Only problem in 4+ years was a chronic/mysterious problem with fuel quantity system that gave false "sensor failure" indications. Dealerships worked with me, eventually finding damaged factory wire harness above fuel tank. Trouble free since. Great usable cargo space does not require high lift to clear tail gate."

Great SUV!!

By on Thursday, July 2, 2009

"I've had my 2007 Explorer for 2 years, it's my 2nd Explorer and I wouldn't own any other SUV. It's reliable, has great styling and rides like a car. I drove from NY to TX and the ride was comfortable. It did pretty well on gas considering I only spent $340 for gas when it was $3.69/gal and I drove 1800 miles. I have friends that are on their 3rd or 4th. We love this SUV. Great job Ford!"

One of best vehicles owned

By on Saturday, May 16, 2009

"This is the 2nd Explorer I have owned is thye best yet. I owned this one for 2 1/2 years. I have had no major problems. It is a pleasure to drive. The V6 has all the power and performance I need and is very good on gas mileage."

comfortable ride

By on Saturday, December 20, 2008

"I bought my 2006 Ford Exlporer Eddie Bauer ed approximately 6 months ago. The ride is extremely comfortable and handles well. I have a small boat and it hauls it with no problems. I have been experiencing ignition/electrical trouble where often times the vehicle wont start. The vehicle is still under warranty however the problem is annoying. Other than that the gas mileage is great 22-24 mpg highway miles."

Good Pick!

By on Thursday, December 18, 2008

"We needed an 'upgrade' as far as power and room and this fit the bill. Has ample power to tow our boat and camper and all our 'stuff' and w/the third row, it can carry our kids and their friends too! The split bench seats fold flat which is also a big plus w/our ski equipment. Nice looking vehicle (we have the V8 limited edition) with fun comforts for long travels. Handled our Northern Vermonts' recent weather (snow, ice, snow...)very well - we do have snow tires. There are a few 'bells & whistles' we need to get used to but that's b/c wer'e used to the 'basic models'. We chose to add an extended warrenty b/c we bought this used (40.000 miles one owner). The vehicle is as good as the dealer and we have a great dealer up here. Did a lot of research re: SUV's before we chose the Ford, and when buying used, this was the best deal. Read several of the reviews before buying and if you notice, many of the positive reviews come from folks like us who live in rural/mountain areas - the Explorer has more truck like qualities vs. other SUV's which is what we needed. Happy w/our recent purchase!"

Best all-around vehicle

By on Sunday, June 22, 2008

"Great all-around rig. I live in rural Alaska, 3 children, with long distances to travel during very cold winter temp. of 40/50 below. My truck has never been garaged; (I plug it in at night during the winter) I've put over two thousand miles a month on it- still runs smooth as ever. The engine's so quiet I have almost restarted it thinking it was not running. Comfy cloth seats, 2 extra flip-up seats in the back, Powerful front and back heater, tinted windows, A/C, CD player -lots of storage compartments, cupholders, easy to load/unload, nice, quiet ride. Almost 19 mpg on the highway, which isn't too bad! Of all the trucks I've owned, I like this one the very best!"

Top of the line

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"I've had 17 Fords in my lifetime and this Explorer Limited is the best ever. Not a problem so far. For a V8 it gives me 20.8 mpg doing 80 mph on the Interstate and an excellent ride. Very quiet with great safety features. Handles very nicely and a comfortable ride. Recommend highly."