2005 Ford Explorer

7.5

Based on 1152 Ratings for the 2002 - 2005 models.

I would buy it again, no regrets

By on Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pros: "style, awesome turning radius and manueverability"

Cons: "Fuel economy only about 12 mpg city"

"Just turned over 265,000 miles still running strong on original engine and transmission. It does have little quirks like abs light, O/D light from time to time, but they have been on for the last 100k miles or so. It does have the Ford Explorer crack on the rear hatch. I have changed oil every 5k miles since new, had to change ball joints, tie rod ends, an alternator, a bunch of tires ,a battery, but other than that it is original. I plan on driving it for another 100k."

Had this vehicle the longest ever

By on Wednesday, April 2, 2014

"I bought this truck used in 2003 with 20K miles on it and brand new tires. I have since put on over 180K miles on it driving it up and down interstate 95 visiting family and friends. This truck is very roomy and comfortable whether traveling with just my family of 4 or taking my teenage daughter and 6 of her friends sometimes, everyone fits. No real mechanical problems to speak of just usual brakes, oil and filter, transmission fluid change, new set of tires, did do back differential but that seems to common. I live in Long Island NY so it has been snow, hail, rain and heat. No rust and paint still looks good, a few minor scratches and dings but hey truck is 12 years old. Would love to get another one but just too expensive and I would like to cut down on the 70 per week gas fill up. But absolutely loved my explorer and glad I made the purchase all those years ago."

Nice ride,truck feeling,lots of room

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "extra 3rd seat, cloth seats, excellent AC,"

Cons: "none as of yet"

"Our 02 Ford Explorer is our family first luxcury car. For the pasts 25 winters we had to depend on less great SUV to get over the mtn passes. We found our Explorer at dealership it had one owner and less 58000 miles on the engine. Its look like it just come off the assembly line. Everything looked brand new.Even the engine. Now I married to a "motorhead" whose has worked the last 12 years a auto part store for carquest. I can't tell how many hundreds of cars/suv that man yelled at me about cost parts when I was wanting to buy a new car. Our new Explorer not one word! I will keep update, since in new to us"

One of the best vehicle I have owned!

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

"This car has been one of the best that I have owned. The engine with 249000 miles on it has been untouched by a mechanic except for oil changes and a alternator at 152000 miles At 248500 miles I replaced valve cover gaskets and front rear end seals. At 180000 miles I replaced the right rear wheel seals."

Love this car

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive,"

Cons: "seats do not lie flat for storage"

"Very comfortable to drive long distances. I am short but it firs me very well even though it is a large SUV"

BEST VEHICLE EVER

By on Thursday, February 4, 2010

"2002 w/145000 mi, purchased new: Still has original spark plugs, shocks, exhaust, ball joints; no wheel alignment, no rust, no accidents. Replaced wheel bearings, A/C condensor, rear springs, and 4X4 shift control module - only major repairs. Replaced brakes 2(or 3) times and rear rotors once and 7 yr old battery; 80000 mi on first tires...still going good on second set. Changing oil every 3000mi, religeously. 15mpg city/20-21mpg hwy. COST to DRIVE: $.237/mi BEST VEHICLE EVER"

Great Buy

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I recently purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 4.6 Liter SOHC V8 and Four-Wheel Drive. I can say honestly that I haven't been happier about a vehicle I have bought. I was originally concerned about getting it since it is five years old and had 61,000 miles on it. Well, It now has almost 70,000 on it, has been to the Beach (Literally on it), in mud (Never once got stuck), and has been driven all over town and on the highways. I feel secure, it has pretty decent get-up-and-go, and is sure footed in the corners or under hard braking. I read a lot of car magazines, like Motor Trend, Car & Driver, and Road & Track, and so I did a little of my own testing. With mine being an Eddie Bauer with a V8, I got it to run to 60 in about 8 seconds. The fastest I had it was 110, maybe 112. There is a speed governor, so it tops out right around there. My average MPG in town is around 13, and on the highway I get about 20-21. Not great, but I've driven worse. Off-Road, the suspension travel leaves something to be desired. Numerous times I have encountered un-even terrain and gotten stuck. Well, not stuck, but couldn't go forward without a running start. Two tires come off the ground and even in four low, it won't go. When it has all four down, it seems like it is unstoppable by the elements of nature. I'm sure that I could get it stuck should I try, but I think I'll leave that to the guys that don't care about what they drive. The interior is extreamly comfortable, decently quiet, the stereo is clear and can get pretty loud, there is room for all five people (I have the five passenger model), and the view out is relatively good. One comment I get from alot of people is that fact that the rear windows go all the way down. The adults like that. With the window lock on, the Children have no control of the window and it proves to be very helpful with three to six year olds in the back. Cargo room is abundant, I have yet to use the roof racks cause I can fit everything I need in the back. I would strongly recommend that a person looking for a reliable mid-size sport utility stop by a Ford dealer or used-car lot, or heck, even your neighbors house to take a look at an Explorer. You can go wrong!"

This truck does it all for me Eddie Bauer V8

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

Pros: "Will do it all, haul people, cargo, lots of power"

Cons: "Bad reviews info screen too dark in daylight"

"I choose the 2002 explorer even though i have heard about all the problems, owning all fords my whole life i felt like i couldn't go wrong. I purchased it used from a ford dealership with 68,000. I have owned this vehicle for 4 years, eddie bauer v8 all wheel drive. I was a little apprehensive about this purchase, but i have to say that 4 years later i am very happy, only minor problems, i have put on 45,000 miles in four years, from highway driving, light off road/sand-dirt, and snow. I have heard alot of bad reviews about transmissions, and other serious problems, maybe im lucky, i have not experienced any of the major problems, i maintain it very well, changing major fluids before recommended intervals sometimes in the crucial areas like trans, transfer case, coolant. It is very fast, lots of extra power with the v8 that you don't get with the v6, i guess only time will tell!"

LOVED this vehicle!

By on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Reason: traded in for better mileage and newer

Pros: "All the features of a luxury car, pretty, dependab"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"It was just time to get a smaller car with better mileage, since I recently sold my horse trailer and won't need a vehicle able to pull it. I'm sad to say good-bye to my beautiful, dependable Explorer! Lots of great memories of horse shows with my daughter, <3"

Good Truck

By on Monday, November 26, 2007

"I have owned my 2003 Explorers since I bought it new. I have 120,000 miles on it now and am expecting to keep it for awhile. The repairs have been reasonable, but I never like to have anything go bad. When it was new within the first couple of weeks, it was stalling on takeoff. I took it back to the dealer, and they fixed it. It has never done it again. At 105,000 miles, I had to replace some of the parking brake, as well as the brake pads. The ride is pretty rough, but it is a real SUV built on a truck type chasis, not a SUV shaped body placed on a car plateform. The ride improved significatly when the Michelin tires finally wore out at 85,000 miles. I replaced them with a set of Goodyears that take some of the bumps out. The cloth seats that I have are supportive, but way below par on comfort. The Front seats are bad enough, but the back seats are almost embarrasing when taking friends on hunting trips. One drawback is that as of the last time I check Uhaul still will not rent a trailer when they know it will be towed by this Explorer. I have had at least 1000 lbs. of bricks in the back, and this truck had no issues at all. From the outside, it did not appear to sag at all. I was impressed, and begain to understand why the ride is rough. It is hard to give both a soft ride, and a large payload capacity. I did get stuck in a 3 ft. drift of snow once. I tried to just barrel through it in my driveway instead of shoveling it. The truck ended up just teatering on the snow without enough wieght on the wheels to move itself. I ended up shoveling the snow from underneath the truck, and got it going. I may be a little picky whith the heat, but I like the heat to blow on my feet and never on my face. In this truck, the hot air somehow misses my feet, and bounces off the floor up into my face. Not a big deal for most people, but it is the little things that make you fall in love with a vehicle. I fell in love with the 1997 thunderbird I had. This truck just seems to do what I expect, but does not instill passion. I hope this helps."

Really like this vehicle

By on Thursday, June 18, 2015

Pros: "Just about everything is great."

Cons: "plastic hatch, high seats"

"This is a great vehicle. Big enough to handle just about anything you want to carry. Runs great and has alot of getup and go. Very safe feeling car. The only 2 things I didn't like about this car was the small hatch in the back is made of plastic and cracked. I've seen many others with the same defect. The other thing is that I'm 6'3" tall, and the drivers seat is alittle to high. Can't adjust it down enough for me. Other than that, this car has been very reliable and great for trips and around town driving. When I have to sell it, I'm going to be very unhappy."

My favorite vehicle of all times

By on Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Pros: "Love almost everything about it"

Cons: "Third row is a pain to get into"

"I owned many cars ,trucks, caravans and I have to say my 2004 FordEplorer is my favorite. It's definitly not a feminine vehicle .i have 189,000 miles with all origanal parts. I finally had to replace parts but only had to spend $2,500 for all new tires, bearing, upper lower control arm, alignment some rear work as well. This Truck never stood me wrong. I love how it rides. Mind you its not a smooth ride like a Honda pilot. This is a manly truck. I am afraid to get a newer model, newer is not always better"

an amazing vehicle!

By on Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Pros: "fun, depedable, comfort, powerful"

"this truck has took me and my family everywheres. Has never let us down. It really does run all day everyday everywhere i use it to go to work then my wife uses it to go to work and inbetween it does all the stoping and going for all three of are children all week then on the weekends it takes us to are family away places. its great off roading never got stuck and we been very deep in mud. hold alot of wait. and has plenty of room for all of us plus bagged. it a great dependable truck and the gas millage is great i think we get 19-20 highway and 17 city."

nice ride, comfort, feel etc

By on Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pros: "Great ride, good feel, solid high quality feel"

Cons: "drivetrain repair expence"

"Maintenance expence was high due to wheel bearing replacement on average every 60000 mi. They are expensive parts, 200 dollars apiece for the fronts , plus labor,350 for the rears, I have gone through 3 sets in 180000 miles and they all need replaced again. I have had this car lazer aligned 5 times in five years and it does not seem to make a difference. I have gotten as high as 22 mpg on highway trips and average 17.5 around town with this car, so fuel econamy has not been bad for a large AWD SUV."

Excellent Vehicle, Very Safe

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"We bought our 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 brand new almost 6 years ago. It has always been a dependable and comfortable vehicle. Drives better than any other SUV on the market, comfortable and quiet also. We have not had any trouble with this vehicle at all. It had a recall for the hinges on the back window and that is the only time in it was in the shop over 146,000 miles driven. Performed all regular maintenance on it myslef. 4x4 with average MPG at 19 with 22-23 MPG on the highway. Without towing package it would have been even better since it would have been geared differently. The only reason the quality is at 4 stars is that it developed a slight vibration/rattle in the dash that I had to correct. I was looking forward to many more miles but someone else interrupted that. I was side swiped, went through a ditch, hit a culvert, flipped over and rolled 3 times yesterday. That's right yesterday. All 4 doors still open and the cabin is not compromised at all. I cut my seatbelt off-I was upside-down-, climbed out and called a wrecker. No injuries. I know that if I was in my wife's Acura MDX that it would not have held up as well and I probably wouldn't have been as protected. The Explorer is a solid, reliable, and safe vehicle. Hands down the class of the field."

Taking a chance!

By on Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Just picked up a 2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer Loaded with 80,000miles. I read the reviews and decided to get an extended warranty to cover the vehicle. Its a great SUV. It seems everyone who hates the explorer are people who didn't get an extended warranty and dished out $$$$. In fact the day I bought it I brought it back and they replaced the transmission. Now is a great time to pick up one of these. But get the warranty! I got my explorer in perfect condition for 7K. 5 years ago they ran $35,000."

Awesome Vehicle! I am 60+ and want another one

By on Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Pros: "Vehicle Size is perfect; 3rd row seat is a plus"

Cons: "Needs more USB slots - glove box & rear seat"

"We leased the Explorer LTD, and at the end of our 3 year lease, we purchased the vehicle. I am a 60 year old grandma, and I just LOVE this car. It "turns on a dime" - the driving radius is incredible. It is extremely comfortable to sit in, I feel safe in this vehicle. I will be purchasing a NEW Explorer within the next few months! I can not imagine life without an Explorer. It is PERFECT for hauling our toddler grandson and all of his "gear"! We babysit him everyday, and the Explorer has been fantastic."

Reliable and Rugged

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Powerful, rugged, and durable"

Cons: "replaced solenoid at 100+K"

"This car will go anywhere. We live in Northern Vermont, and we get ice, snow, rain..you name it. The Explorer drives through it all like it's a sunny day. The car is very reliable, and fairly low maintenance. I've put 64K of the 115K miles on it (bought in 2010), and I've really enjoyed all of them. The car is roomy without being awkward and hard to drive. It does well on gas for the size of the car (17 in winter and 19-20 mpg in summer.) It will tow a small motor boat without difficulty, and it will carry five people comfortably. We have had one major repair: the solenoid went at 100K. It was a $700 repair. No issues since. You will replace wheel bearings if you live in the country, but I think that's not unusual for these bigger SUV's. The inside is nicely featured, and the outside is nice to look at. I have some rust (which is expected after a decade of New England winters), but nothing that isn't directly related to road salt. All in all, this has been one of my favorite vehicles to own. The power, stability, and durability have made it a favorite."

2003 ford explorer

By on Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Pros: "Good gas milage for the vehicle. 15-22 mpg"

Cons: "Power driver seat switch is hard to get to."

"Very comfortable ride. Very reliable. I love it!"

GREAT

By on Thursday, August 29, 2013

Pros: "great overall"

"GREAT vehicle, performance,looks, in the snow : ) options, seats seven.."

This SUV is a workhorse

By on Monday, May 13, 2013

Pros: "Reliable and safe."

Cons: "spare tire is hard to get to"

"Bought this used and had all maintenance done at required times and excepting for the usual new tires, new battery, brakes and buffing out the various shopping cart dings, this truck just doesn't stop working. Only minor complaint is accessibility of the spare tire."

Excellent SUV

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pros: "good price, fun, easy, large, good speakers"

Cons: "small glove box, reverse lights burn out easily"

"Reliable SUV, easy to drive, good turning ability for SUV, off roads well, huald cross country very well. The third row seats are not the easiest to put into the up right position, but are comfortabel for passengers. This was my first car, I moved in it mulitple times, got married and my family grew with it. I will never own another make or model."

Very Reliable vehicle.

By on Friday, April 5, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, and spacious."

Cons: "Not a good daily commuter vehicle."

"I own a 2005 Explorer V6, I purchased it in late 2011 with only 76k on it. And my husband now uses it as a daily commuter vehicle. Odometer currently reads almost 104k, so I would not recommend it for a daily commuter. Also not a gas saver, but the reliability and room are a perfect fit for transporting a family. Especially with a 3rd row, which I have with mine. I call it my little Expedition."

Good workhorse, nice ride, roomy, ez to drive

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "Good work-horse, nice ride, roomy, ez to drive"

Cons: "Needs major repairs too often."

"I purchased my Eddie Bauer new in 2005 and over-all, I have enjoyed driving and owning it. I like the fact that it is big enough on the inside, but not too bulky on the outside. Easy to maneuver and park. The ride is comfortable even in the second row(unlike my friend's 2012 Lincoln Navigator). This is the second Explorer I have owned, but lately with less than 53000 miles on it, I have had to put some money in to it. I've replaced 4 brakes plus parking brakes (in 2009 and again in 2012). My dealer told me it was because I store it during the summer. Belts,muffler,among other things have been replaced. EXCELLENT condition in and out. I usually keep my vehicles for 8-10 years,and want to keep this one for another two. I hope that this is the last money I will have to spend on it before I sell it in two years."

loved the car, but not reliable

By on Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Pros: "good price lots of room"

Cons: "bad on transmissions"

"i bought this car especially for the 3rd row seating because i have 2 kids plus a lot of nieces and nephews so its a car full. when i bought it about a year ago it had 107000 miles and within the first 30 days the transmission went out which cost me $1500. Then a few months later the thermostat housing went out on the way to myrtle beach which cost me another 175. And now im looking for another car because the transmission has slipped again..and ive only had it for a year!!!!"