2005 Ford Explorer

7.5

Based on 1128 Ratings for the 2002 - 2005 models.

This was my baby!

By on Thursday, December 20, 2012

Pros: "Dependable, Roomy, Handles Great, Safe!"

Cons: "Gas mileage, 3rd row hard to enter/exit"

Passenger Side view of mine

"200,000 and engine still purrs like a kitten! Everything handles as if it only has a couple thousand instead of a couple hundred thousand miles! If you take care of these cars, they will last! I'm 5 ft tall. I bought this because, while not the smallest, it was so easy to drive. The adjustable seats that raise for height and go forward for length are awesome. Mine also had the optional foot pedals adjust, so the pedals moved up instead of me having to sit right on top of the wheel. So worth the money. We have a big family, but I didn't want a van. The third row seats allow me to seat three adults and four carseats! A note on the third row seat-not easy to get in and out of, but I never sat there :) so it didn't bother me. But once you were in them-very comfortable. Just had some guy slam into the side of my car while I was driving about 40 mph. It messed up the whole side of the car. Everyone had belts on - no injuries at all. It handled very well and while he pushed the car and it spun completely around into the other direction. It never even leaned or felt like it would tip over! It started right up and drove home also! (Though I think there might be frame damage) Overall this car is so easy to drive and has so much room. Its dependable and I always felt safe. Will definitely buy another! And I recommend highly to you!"

Passenger Side view of mine

great car, my third one. only changed color

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Cons: "gas milage could be better in this economy"

"My third explorer, it's a 2005, bought new,very reliable, easy access with running boards. Leather interior makes easy cleaning. A/c, radio/cup holders, phone, disc player, all the comforts of home. Feel real safe because I am up higher for great visibility on the road."

Plan on keeping this it until it dies

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "great to drive"

Cons: "gotta keep the back up sensors clean"

first road trip to the beach

"In the year that I have owned this vehicle I have put just under 14,000 miles on it. I have taken it to the beach and on the beach, where I purposely got it stuck in the sand with advancetrac on and in 4wd auto and full air in tires, switched advancetrac off and locked it into 4wd and kept the air in the tires and immediately crawled out and of my hole. Even pulled a Chevy out too. Also took it up to the mountain for some off road snow play and never once thought I was going to get stuck, nor did I get stuck. Towed my parents camping trailer with ease. Smooth on the road and off the road."

first road trip to the beach

I would buy it again, no regrets

By on Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pros: "style, awesome turning radius and manueverability"

Cons: "Fuel economy only about 12 mpg city"

"Just turned over 265,000 miles still running strong on original engine and transmission. It does have little quirks like abs light, O/D light from time to time, but they have been on for the last 100k miles or so. It does have the Ford Explorer crack on the rear hatch. I have changed oil every 5k miles since new, had to change ball joints, tie rod ends, an alternator, a bunch of tires ,a battery, but other than that it is original. I plan on driving it for another 100k."

outstanding vehicle

By on Sunday, August 02, 2015

"I have owned this car for 12 years. I have never encountered a single problem with the engine, mechanics, or overall functioning of the vehicle. It is a beautiful pearl white, has a tan leather interior, and a sunroof. I have never missed an oil change or tire rotation. The engine is in mint condition. The vehicle has never been wrecked. It has been a wonderful car!"

This truck does it all for me Eddie Bauer V8

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

Pros: "Will do it all, haul people, cargo, lots of power"

Cons: "Bad reviews info screen too dark in daylight"

"I choose the 2002 explorer even though i have heard about all the problems, owning all fords my whole life i felt like i couldn't go wrong. I purchased it used from a ford dealership with 68,000. I have owned this vehicle for 4 years, eddie bauer v8 all wheel drive. I was a little apprehensive about this purchase, but i have to say that 4 years later i am very happy, only minor problems, i have put on 45,000 miles in four years, from highway driving, light off road/sand-dirt, and snow. I have heard alot of bad reviews about transmissions, and other serious problems, maybe im lucky, i have not experienced any of the major problems, i maintain it very well, changing major fluids before recommended intervals sometimes in the crucial areas like trans, transfer case, coolant. It is very fast, lots of extra power with the v8 that you don't get with the v6, i guess only time will tell!"

Love this car

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive,"

Cons: "seats do not lie flat for storage"

"Very comfortable to drive long distances. I am short but it firs me very well even though it is a large SUV"

LOVED this vehicle!

By on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Reason: traded in for better mileage and newer

Pros: "All the features of a luxury car, pretty, dependab"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"It was just time to get a smaller car with better mileage, since I recently sold my horse trailer and won't need a vehicle able to pull it. I'm sad to say good-bye to my beautiful, dependable Explorer! Lots of great memories of horse shows with my daughter, <3"

love this vehicle, my second one...

By on Monday, September 12, 2011

Pros: "great safe car in snow, rain, traffic, great visibility"

Cons: "replaced 4 berrings, engine light always on, bad fuel pump"

"it rides great, but like any vehicle, has it's down sides..goes through berrings, had an issue with fuel pump...let me down twice (fuel pump)replaced it, runs like a champ, love it in the snow, rain, traffic...handles great...love the third seat when my kids were young...have the engine light on for years now, nothing wrong with it, had mechanics turn it off 14 times...my last explorer did the same thing, still love the truck, plan on keeping it...runs great!!"

Worth it!

By on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"I waited till I owned this one nearly 4 full yrs to leave my comments, because I bought used and wanted to be certain of my experience. My Explorer is an Eddie Bauer AWD 4.6L with almost all options. It has no moon roof or 3rd row seating and the rear seats are not bucket. The "rear air" is misleading, as it has no real controls beyond vents, but rear passengers have only been thankful over time. The quality of the vehicle is quite high with only one issue, the plastic cover on the lift gate has a crack through in the center and I see this on many Explorers with the same part. This is exterior and easily noted. Aside from that and the CD player having a stutter(which the dealer fixed immediately with no charge), I have just begun to note wear and tear inside the vehicle. It was built 7 years ago, so that's quality in my view. I would never off-road this Explorer, but it has never been stuck in anyplace I have needed to take it, including dirt roads, snow, up/over seriously bad roads in W. Virginia to get to my dads farm. It was clearly built for traction and, while not the best off-road, it has traction. The fuel economy is okay for this type of vehicle. Mine averages 17.3 overall and I do much highway driving. Keep in mind, AWD V8. The in vehicle record/monitor seems to be very close to accurate. Over nearly 116,000 miles, it's close, except the miles to empty part, which usually thinks I'll be out of fuel 50 miles or so before I would be. If it weighed under 4,000 lb rather than just under 5,000, I think mileage could be a bit better. One of the best parts is the view I get from the driver seat(or any other). It makes driving much, much more enjoyable than our other car, a small GM product. Each is a 2004 model and hers has 40,000 plus fewer miles, even though we do the same work for the same company. This is our main driver. It's much more comfortable, but part of that is the ability to see around us without sitting like we're in a big truck. It's a little jerky with my lead-foot issue, but overall, this Explorer has been the best vehicle I've ever owned for confidence inspired and comfortable driving. This would include my past Grand Marquis' from 89, 97 and 04, all purchased new by someone in my immediate family. That said, it's no F-350 SuperCrew or TownCar. It is a good mix, with some towing ability(and it does well) and truck like torque, to go along with it's "large car" feel inside. It rides nice for any SUV with the slightest rough road capability and I feel confident to take it just about anywhere I might need and/or want to go. They're expensive, frankly, but worth owning if you need such a vehicle, or just really want one. If I buy an SUV next, I'm looking for a 2010 Explorer because Ford, well... RUINED it for the 2011 model by removing the frame, deleting V8 engine(though the new engines out-power my 4.6L(and totally lack its torque no matter what they may say) option, and WORSE by far, they made it FRONT WHEEL DRIVE standard... It WAS an SUV and now it will be a CUV, at best. Sadly, I'm convinced sales with drop even though the new ones look pretty. They cost more as well. For those reasons, I'm keeping my 2004 for now. Front wheel drive is GARBAGE compared to rear wheel drive. It always has been and it always will be. It hurts handling and increases costs with essentially zero benefits to any decent driver."

BEST VEHICLE EVER

By on Thursday, February 04, 2010

"2002 w/145000 mi, purchased new: Still has original spark plugs, shocks, exhaust, ball joints; no wheel alignment, no rust, no accidents. Replaced wheel bearings, A/C condensor, rear springs, and 4X4 shift control module - only major repairs. Replaced brakes 2(or 3) times and rear rotors once and 7 yr old battery; 80000 mi on first tires...still going good on second set. Changing oil every 3000mi, religeously. 15mpg city/20-21mpg hwy. COST to DRIVE: $.237/mi BEST VEHICLE EVER"

Good Truck

By on Monday, November 26, 2007

"I have owned my 2003 Explorers since I bought it new. I have 120,000 miles on it now and am expecting to keep it for awhile. The repairs have been reasonable, but I never like to have anything go bad. When it was new within the first couple of weeks, it was stalling on takeoff. I took it back to the dealer, and they fixed it. It has never done it again. At 105,000 miles, I had to replace some of the parking brake, as well as the brake pads. The ride is pretty rough, but it is a real SUV built on a truck type chasis, not a SUV shaped body placed on a car plateform. The ride improved significatly when the Michelin tires finally wore out at 85,000 miles. I replaced them with a set of Goodyears that take some of the bumps out. The cloth seats that I have are supportive, but way below par on comfort. The Front seats are bad enough, but the back seats are almost embarrasing when taking friends on hunting trips. One drawback is that as of the last time I check Uhaul still will not rent a trailer when they know it will be towed by this Explorer. I have had at least 1000 lbs. of bricks in the back, and this truck had no issues at all. From the outside, it did not appear to sag at all. I was impressed, and begain to understand why the ride is rough. It is hard to give both a soft ride, and a large payload capacity. I did get stuck in a 3 ft. drift of snow once. I tried to just barrel through it in my driveway instead of shoveling it. The truck ended up just teatering on the snow without enough wieght on the wheels to move itself. I ended up shoveling the snow from underneath the truck, and got it going. I may be a little picky whith the heat, but I like the heat to blow on my feet and never on my face. In this truck, the hot air somehow misses my feet, and bounces off the floor up into my face. Not a big deal for most people, but it is the little things that make you fall in love with a vehicle. I fell in love with the 1997 thunderbird I had. This truck just seems to do what I expect, but does not instill passion. I hope this helps."

Great Buy

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I recently purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 4.6 Liter SOHC V8 and Four-Wheel Drive. I can say honestly that I haven't been happier about a vehicle I have bought. I was originally concerned about getting it since it is five years old and had 61,000 miles on it. Well, It now has almost 70,000 on it, has been to the Beach (Literally on it), in mud (Never once got stuck), and has been driven all over town and on the highways. I feel secure, it has pretty decent get-up-and-go, and is sure footed in the corners or under hard braking. I read a lot of car magazines, like Motor Trend, Car & Driver, and Road & Track, and so I did a little of my own testing. With mine being an Eddie Bauer with a V8, I got it to run to 60 in about 8 seconds. The fastest I had it was 110, maybe 112. There is a speed governor, so it tops out right around there. My average MPG in town is around 13, and on the highway I get about 20-21. Not great, but I've driven worse. Off-Road, the suspension travel leaves something to be desired. Numerous times I have encountered un-even terrain and gotten stuck. Well, not stuck, but couldn't go forward without a running start. Two tires come off the ground and even in four low, it won't go. When it has all four down, it seems like it is unstoppable by the elements of nature. I'm sure that I could get it stuck should I try, but I think I'll leave that to the guys that don't care about what they drive. The interior is extreamly comfortable, decently quiet, the stereo is clear and can get pretty loud, there is room for all five people (I have the five passenger model), and the view out is relatively good. One comment I get from alot of people is that fact that the rear windows go all the way down. The adults like that. With the window lock on, the Children have no control of the window and it proves to be very helpful with three to six year olds in the back. Cargo room is abundant, I have yet to use the roof racks cause I can fit everything I need in the back. I would strongly recommend that a person looking for a reliable mid-size sport utility stop by a Ford dealer or used-car lot, or heck, even your neighbors house to take a look at an Explorer. You can go wrong!"

Really like this vehicle

By on Thursday, June 18, 2015

Pros: "Just about everything is great."

Cons: "plastic hatch, high seats"

"This is a great vehicle. Big enough to handle just about anything you want to carry. Runs great and has alot of getup and go. Very safe feeling car. The only 2 things I didn't like about this car was the small hatch in the back is made of plastic and cracked. I've seen many others with the same defect. The other thing is that I'm 6'3" tall, and the drivers seat is alittle to high. Can't adjust it down enough for me. Other than that, this car has been very reliable and great for trips and around town driving. When I have to sell it, I'm going to be very unhappy."

My favorite vehicle of all times

By on Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Pros: "Love almost everything about it"

Cons: "Third row is a pain to get into"

"I owned many cars ,trucks, caravans and I have to say my 2004 FordEplorer is my favorite. It's definitly not a feminine vehicle .i have 189,000 miles with all origanal parts. I finally had to replace parts but only had to spend $2,500 for all new tires, bearing, upper lower control arm, alignment some rear work as well. This Truck never stood me wrong. I love how it rides. Mind you its not a smooth ride like a Honda pilot. This is a manly truck. I am afraid to get a newer model, newer is not always better"

Had this vehicle the longest ever

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

"I bought this truck used in 2003 with 20K miles on it and brand new tires. I have since put on over 180K miles on it driving it up and down interstate 95 visiting family and friends. This truck is very roomy and comfortable whether traveling with just my family of 4 or taking my teenage daughter and 6 of her friends sometimes, everyone fits. No real mechanical problems to speak of just usual brakes, oil and filter, transmission fluid change, new set of tires, did do back differential but that seems to common. I live in Long Island NY so it has been snow, hail, rain and heat. No rust and paint still looks good, a few minor scratches and dings but hey truck is 12 years old. Would love to get another one but just too expensive and I would like to cut down on the 70 per week gas fill up. But absolutely loved my explorer and glad I made the purchase all those years ago."

Love it! Just keeps on going, through anything!

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, great in winter!"

Cons: "Gas mileage not great, but could be due to age"

"Bought this Explorer with 170,000 miles and have had it for 5 years with not a lot of repairs. Now I use it to deliver mail for the USPS. Never have to worry about getting stuck in rural PA! She just keeps on ticking!"

One of the best vehicle I have owned!

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

"This car has been one of the best that I have owned. The engine with 249000 miles on it has been untouched by a mechanic except for oil changes and a alternator at 152000 miles At 248500 miles I replaced valve cover gaskets and front rear end seals. At 180000 miles I replaced the right rear wheel seals."

Nice ride,truck feeling,lots of room

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "extra 3rd seat, cloth seats, excellent AC,"

Cons: "none as of yet"

"Our 02 Ford Explorer is our family first luxcury car. For the pasts 25 winters we had to depend on less great SUV to get over the mtn passes. We found our Explorer at dealership it had one owner and less 58000 miles on the engine. Its look like it just come off the assembly line. Everything looked brand new.Even the engine. Now I married to a "motorhead" whose has worked the last 12 years a auto part store for carquest. I can't tell how many hundreds of cars/suv that man yelled at me about cost parts when I was wanting to buy a new car. Our new Explorer not one word! I will keep update, since in new to us"

an amazing vehicle!

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Pros: "fun, depedable, comfort, powerful"

"this truck has took me and my family everywheres. Has never let us down. It really does run all day everyday everywhere i use it to go to work then my wife uses it to go to work and inbetween it does all the stoping and going for all three of are children all week then on the weekends it takes us to are family away places. its great off roading never got stuck and we been very deep in mud. hold alot of wait. and has plenty of room for all of us plus bagged. it a great dependable truck and the gas millage is great i think we get 19-20 highway and 17 city."

nice ride, comfort, feel etc

By on Sunday, January 08, 2012

Pros: "Great ride, good feel, solid high quality feel"

Cons: "drivetrain repair expence"

"Maintenance expence was high due to wheel bearing replacement on average every 60000 mi. They are expensive parts, 200 dollars apiece for the fronts , plus labor,350 for the rears, I have gone through 3 sets in 180000 miles and they all need replaced again. I have had this car lazer aligned 5 times in five years and it does not seem to make a difference. I have gotten as high as 22 mpg on highway trips and average 17.5 around town with this car, so fuel econamy has not been bad for a large AWD SUV."

Excellent Vehicle, Very Safe

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"We bought our 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 brand new almost 6 years ago. It has always been a dependable and comfortable vehicle. Drives better than any other SUV on the market, comfortable and quiet also. We have not had any trouble with this vehicle at all. It had a recall for the hinges on the back window and that is the only time in it was in the shop over 146,000 miles driven. Performed all regular maintenance on it myslef. 4x4 with average MPG at 19 with 22-23 MPG on the highway. Without towing package it would have been even better since it would have been geared differently. The only reason the quality is at 4 stars is that it developed a slight vibration/rattle in the dash that I had to correct. I was looking forward to many more miles but someone else interrupted that. I was side swiped, went through a ditch, hit a culvert, flipped over and rolled 3 times yesterday. That's right yesterday. All 4 doors still open and the cabin is not compromised at all. I cut my seatbelt off-I was upside-down-, climbed out and called a wrecker. No injuries. I know that if I was in my wife's Acura MDX that it would not have held up as well and I probably wouldn't have been as protected. The Explorer is a solid, reliable, and safe vehicle. Hands down the class of the field."

Taking a chance!

By on Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Just picked up a 2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer Loaded with 80,000miles. I read the reviews and decided to get an extended warranty to cover the vehicle. Its a great SUV. It seems everyone who hates the explorer are people who didn't get an extended warranty and dished out $$$$. In fact the day I bought it I brought it back and they replaced the transmission. Now is a great time to pick up one of these. But get the warranty! I got my explorer in perfect condition for 7K. 5 years ago they ran $35,000."

Awesome Vehicle! I am 60+ and want another one

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Pros: "Vehicle Size is perfect; 3rd row seat is a plus"

Cons: "Needs more USB slots - glove box & rear seat"

"We leased the Explorer LTD, and at the end of our 3 year lease, we purchased the vehicle. I am a 60 year old grandma, and I just LOVE this car. It "turns on a dime" - the driving radius is incredible. It is extremely comfortable to sit in, I feel safe in this vehicle. I will be purchasing a NEW Explorer within the next few months! I can not imagine life without an Explorer. It is PERFECT for hauling our toddler grandson and all of his "gear"! We babysit him everyday, and the Explorer has been fantastic."

Reliable and Rugged

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Powerful, rugged, and durable"

Cons: "replaced solenoid at 100+K"

"This car will go anywhere. We live in Northern Vermont, and we get ice, snow, rain..you name it. The Explorer drives through it all like it's a sunny day. The car is very reliable, and fairly low maintenance. I've put 64K of the 115K miles on it (bought in 2010), and I've really enjoyed all of them. The car is roomy without being awkward and hard to drive. It does well on gas for the size of the car (17 in winter and 19-20 mpg in summer.) It will tow a small motor boat without difficulty, and it will carry five people comfortably. We have had one major repair: the solenoid went at 100K. It was a $700 repair. No issues since. You will replace wheel bearings if you live in the country, but I think that's not unusual for these bigger SUV's. The inside is nicely featured, and the outside is nice to look at. I have some rust (which is expected after a decade of New England winters), but nothing that isn't directly related to road salt. All in all, this has been one of my favorite vehicles to own. The power, stability, and durability have made it a favorite."