2004 Ford Explorer

7.5

Based on 1123 Ratings for the 2002 - 2005 models.

love this vehicle, my second one...

By on Monday, September 12, 2011

Pros: "great safe car in snow, rain, traffic, great visibility"

Cons: "replaced 4 berrings, engine light always on, bad fuel pump"

"it rides great, but like any vehicle, has it's down sides..goes through berrings, had an issue with fuel pump...let me down twice (fuel pump)replaced it, runs like a champ, love it in the snow, rain, traffic...handles great...love the third seat when my kids were young...have the engine light on for years now, nothing wrong with it, had mechanics turn it off 14 times...my last explorer did the same thing, still love the truck, plan on keeping it...runs great!!"

Worth it!

By on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"I waited till I owned this one nearly 4 full yrs to leave my comments, because I bought used and wanted to be certain of my experience. My Explorer is an Eddie Bauer AWD 4.6L with almost all options. It has no moon roof or 3rd row seating and the rear seats are not bucket. The "rear air" is misleading, as it has no real controls beyond vents, but rear passengers have only been thankful over time. The quality of the vehicle is quite high with only one issue, the plastic cover on the lift gate has a crack through in the center and I see this on many Explorers with the same part. This is exterior and easily noted. Aside from that and the CD player having a stutter(which the dealer fixed immediately with no charge), I have just begun to note wear and tear inside the vehicle. It was built 7 years ago, so that's quality in my view. I would never off-road this Explorer, but it has never been stuck in anyplace I have needed to take it, including dirt roads, snow, up/over seriously bad roads in W. Virginia to get to my dads farm. It was clearly built for traction and, while not the best off-road, it has traction. The fuel economy is okay for this type of vehicle. Mine averages 17.3 overall and I do much highway driving. Keep in mind, AWD V8. The in vehicle record/monitor seems to be very close to accurate. Over nearly 116,000 miles, it's close, except the miles to empty part, which usually thinks I'll be out of fuel 50 miles or so before I would be. If it weighed under 4,000 lb rather than just under 5,000, I think mileage could be a bit better. One of the best parts is the view I get from the driver seat(or any other). It makes driving much, much more enjoyable than our other car, a small GM product. Each is a 2004 model and hers has 40,000 plus fewer miles, even though we do the same work for the same company. This is our main driver. It's much more comfortable, but part of that is the ability to see around us without sitting like we're in a big truck. It's a little jerky with my lead-foot issue, but overall, this Explorer has been the best vehicle I've ever owned for confidence inspired and comfortable driving. This would include my past Grand Marquis' from 89, 97 and 04, all purchased new by someone in my immediate family. That said, it's no F-350 SuperCrew or TownCar. It is a good mix, with some towing ability(and it does well) and truck like torque, to go along with it's "large car" feel inside. It rides nice for any SUV with the slightest rough road capability and I feel confident to take it just about anywhere I might need and/or want to go. They're expensive, frankly, but worth owning if you need such a vehicle, or just really want one. If I buy an SUV next, I'm looking for a 2010 Explorer because Ford, well... RUINED it for the 2011 model by removing the frame, deleting V8 engine(though the new engines out-power my 4.6L(and totally lack its torque no matter what they may say) option, and WORSE by far, they made it FRONT WHEEL DRIVE standard... It WAS an SUV and now it will be a CUV, at best. Sadly, I'm convinced sales with drop even though the new ones look pretty. They cost more as well. For those reasons, I'm keeping my 2004 for now. Front wheel drive is GARBAGE compared to rear wheel drive. It always has been and it always will be. It hurts handling and increases costs with essentially zero benefits to any decent driver."

Good Truck

By on Monday, November 26, 2007

"I have owned my 2003 Explorers since I bought it new. I have 120,000 miles on it now and am expecting to keep it for awhile. The repairs have been reasonable, but I never like to have anything go bad. When it was new within the first couple of weeks, it was stalling on takeoff. I took it back to the dealer, and they fixed it. It has never done it again. At 105,000 miles, I had to replace some of the parking brake, as well as the brake pads. The ride is pretty rough, but it is a real SUV built on a truck type chasis, not a SUV shaped body placed on a car plateform. The ride improved significatly when the Michelin tires finally wore out at 85,000 miles. I replaced them with a set of Goodyears that take some of the bumps out. The cloth seats that I have are supportive, but way below par on comfort. The Front seats are bad enough, but the back seats are almost embarrasing when taking friends on hunting trips. One drawback is that as of the last time I check Uhaul still will not rent a trailer when they know it will be towed by this Explorer. I have had at least 1000 lbs. of bricks in the back, and this truck had no issues at all. From the outside, it did not appear to sag at all. I was impressed, and begain to understand why the ride is rough. It is hard to give both a soft ride, and a large payload capacity. I did get stuck in a 3 ft. drift of snow once. I tried to just barrel through it in my driveway instead of shoveling it. The truck ended up just teatering on the snow without enough wieght on the wheels to move itself. I ended up shoveling the snow from underneath the truck, and got it going. I may be a little picky whith the heat, but I like the heat to blow on my feet and never on my face. In this truck, the hot air somehow misses my feet, and bounces off the floor up into my face. Not a big deal for most people, but it is the little things that make you fall in love with a vehicle. I fell in love with the 1997 thunderbird I had. This truck just seems to do what I expect, but does not instill passion. I hope this helps."

Great Buy

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I recently purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 4.6 Liter SOHC V8 and Four-Wheel Drive. I can say honestly that I haven't been happier about a vehicle I have bought. I was originally concerned about getting it since it is five years old and had 61,000 miles on it. Well, It now has almost 70,000 on it, has been to the Beach (Literally on it), in mud (Never once got stuck), and has been driven all over town and on the highways. I feel secure, it has pretty decent get-up-and-go, and is sure footed in the corners or under hard braking. I read a lot of car magazines, like Motor Trend, Car & Driver, and Road & Track, and so I did a little of my own testing. With mine being an Eddie Bauer with a V8, I got it to run to 60 in about 8 seconds. The fastest I had it was 110, maybe 112. There is a speed governor, so it tops out right around there. My average MPG in town is around 13, and on the highway I get about 20-21. Not great, but I've driven worse. Off-Road, the suspension travel leaves something to be desired. Numerous times I have encountered un-even terrain and gotten stuck. Well, not stuck, but couldn't go forward without a running start. Two tires come off the ground and even in four low, it won't go. When it has all four down, it seems like it is unstoppable by the elements of nature. I'm sure that I could get it stuck should I try, but I think I'll leave that to the guys that don't care about what they drive. The interior is extreamly comfortable, decently quiet, the stereo is clear and can get pretty loud, there is room for all five people (I have the five passenger model), and the view out is relatively good. One comment I get from alot of people is that fact that the rear windows go all the way down. The adults like that. With the window lock on, the Children have no control of the window and it proves to be very helpful with three to six year olds in the back. Cargo room is abundant, I have yet to use the roof racks cause I can fit everything I need in the back. I would strongly recommend that a person looking for a reliable mid-size sport utility stop by a Ford dealer or used-car lot, or heck, even your neighbors house to take a look at an Explorer. You can go wrong!"

My favorite vehicle of all times

By on Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Pros: "Love almost everything about it"

Cons: "Third row is a pain to get into"

"I owned many cars ,trucks, caravans and I have to say my 2004 FordEplorer is my favorite. It's definitly not a feminine vehicle .i have 189,000 miles with all origanal parts. I finally had to replace parts but only had to spend $2,500 for all new tires, bearing, upper lower control arm, alignment some rear work as well. This Truck never stood me wrong. I love how it rides. Mind you its not a smooth ride like a Honda pilot. This is a manly truck. I am afraid to get a newer model, newer is not always better"