2004 Ford Explorer

7.5

Based on 1128 Ratings for the 2002 - 2005 models.

This was my baby!

By on Thursday, December 20, 2012

Pros: "Dependable, Roomy, Handles Great, Safe!"

Cons: "Gas mileage, 3rd row hard to enter/exit"

Passenger Side view of mine

"200,000 and engine still purrs like a kitten! Everything handles as if it only has a couple thousand instead of a couple hundred thousand miles! If you take care of these cars, they will last! I'm 5 ft tall. I bought this because, while not the smallest, it was so easy to drive. The adjustable seats that raise for height and go forward for length are awesome. Mine also had the optional foot pedals adjust, so the pedals moved up instead of me having to sit right on top of the wheel. So worth the money. We have a big family, but I didn't want a van. The third row seats allow me to seat three adults and four carseats! A note on the third row seat-not easy to get in and out of, but I never sat there :) so it didn't bother me. But once you were in them-very comfortable. Just had some guy slam into the side of my car while I was driving about 40 mph. It messed up the whole side of the car. Everyone had belts on - no injuries at all. It handled very well and while he pushed the car and it spun completely around into the other direction. It never even leaned or felt like it would tip over! It started right up and drove home also! (Though I think there might be frame damage) Overall this car is so easy to drive and has so much room. Its dependable and I always felt safe. Will definitely buy another! And I recommend highly to you!"

Passenger Side view of mine

great car, my third one. only changed color

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Cons: "gas milage could be better in this economy"

"My third explorer, it's a 2005, bought new,very reliable, easy access with running boards. Leather interior makes easy cleaning. A/c, radio/cup holders, phone, disc player, all the comforts of home. Feel real safe because I am up higher for great visibility on the road."

Plan on keeping this it until it dies

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "great to drive"

Cons: "gotta keep the back up sensors clean"

first road trip to the beach

"In the year that I have owned this vehicle I have put just under 14,000 miles on it. I have taken it to the beach and on the beach, where I purposely got it stuck in the sand with advancetrac on and in 4wd auto and full air in tires, switched advancetrac off and locked it into 4wd and kept the air in the tires and immediately crawled out and of my hole. Even pulled a Chevy out too. Also took it up to the mountain for some off road snow play and never once thought I was going to get stuck, nor did I get stuck. Towed my parents camping trailer with ease. Smooth on the road and off the road."

first road trip to the beach

I would buy it again, no regrets

By on Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pros: "style, awesome turning radius and manueverability"

Cons: "Fuel economy only about 12 mpg city"

"Just turned over 265,000 miles still running strong on original engine and transmission. It does have little quirks like abs light, O/D light from time to time, but they have been on for the last 100k miles or so. It does have the Ford Explorer crack on the rear hatch. I have changed oil every 5k miles since new, had to change ball joints, tie rod ends, an alternator, a bunch of tires ,a battery, but other than that it is original. I plan on driving it for another 100k."

outstanding vehicle

By on Sunday, August 02, 2015

"I have owned this car for 12 years. I have never encountered a single problem with the engine, mechanics, or overall functioning of the vehicle. It is a beautiful pearl white, has a tan leather interior, and a sunroof. I have never missed an oil change or tire rotation. The engine is in mint condition. The vehicle has never been wrecked. It has been a wonderful car!"

This truck does it all for me Eddie Bauer V8

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

Pros: "Will do it all, haul people, cargo, lots of power"

Cons: "Bad reviews info screen too dark in daylight"

"I choose the 2002 explorer even though i have heard about all the problems, owning all fords my whole life i felt like i couldn't go wrong. I purchased it used from a ford dealership with 68,000. I have owned this vehicle for 4 years, eddie bauer v8 all wheel drive. I was a little apprehensive about this purchase, but i have to say that 4 years later i am very happy, only minor problems, i have put on 45,000 miles in four years, from highway driving, light off road/sand-dirt, and snow. I have heard alot of bad reviews about transmissions, and other serious problems, maybe im lucky, i have not experienced any of the major problems, i maintain it very well, changing major fluids before recommended intervals sometimes in the crucial areas like trans, transfer case, coolant. It is very fast, lots of extra power with the v8 that you don't get with the v6, i guess only time will tell!"

Love this car

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive,"

Cons: "seats do not lie flat for storage"

"Very comfortable to drive long distances. I am short but it firs me very well even though it is a large SUV"

LOVED this vehicle!

By on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Reason: traded in for better mileage and newer

Pros: "All the features of a luxury car, pretty, dependab"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"It was just time to get a smaller car with better mileage, since I recently sold my horse trailer and won't need a vehicle able to pull it. I'm sad to say good-bye to my beautiful, dependable Explorer! Lots of great memories of horse shows with my daughter, <3"

love this vehicle, my second one...

By on Monday, September 12, 2011

Pros: "great safe car in snow, rain, traffic, great visibility"

Cons: "replaced 4 berrings, engine light always on, bad fuel pump"

"it rides great, but like any vehicle, has it's down sides..goes through berrings, had an issue with fuel pump...let me down twice (fuel pump)replaced it, runs like a champ, love it in the snow, rain, traffic...handles great...love the third seat when my kids were young...have the engine light on for years now, nothing wrong with it, had mechanics turn it off 14 times...my last explorer did the same thing, still love the truck, plan on keeping it...runs great!!"

Worth it!

By on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"I waited till I owned this one nearly 4 full yrs to leave my comments, because I bought used and wanted to be certain of my experience. My Explorer is an Eddie Bauer AWD 4.6L with almost all options. It has no moon roof or 3rd row seating and the rear seats are not bucket. The "rear air" is misleading, as it has no real controls beyond vents, but rear passengers have only been thankful over time. The quality of the vehicle is quite high with only one issue, the plastic cover on the lift gate has a crack through in the center and I see this on many Explorers with the same part. This is exterior and easily noted. Aside from that and the CD player having a stutter(which the dealer fixed immediately with no charge), I have just begun to note wear and tear inside the vehicle. It was built 7 years ago, so that's quality in my view. I would never off-road this Explorer, but it has never been stuck in anyplace I have needed to take it, including dirt roads, snow, up/over seriously bad roads in W. Virginia to get to my dads farm. It was clearly built for traction and, while not the best off-road, it has traction. The fuel economy is okay for this type of vehicle. Mine averages 17.3 overall and I do much highway driving. Keep in mind, AWD V8. The in vehicle record/monitor seems to be very close to accurate. Over nearly 116,000 miles, it's close, except the miles to empty part, which usually thinks I'll be out of fuel 50 miles or so before I would be. If it weighed under 4,000 lb rather than just under 5,000, I think mileage could be a bit better. One of the best parts is the view I get from the driver seat(or any other). It makes driving much, much more enjoyable than our other car, a small GM product. Each is a 2004 model and hers has 40,000 plus fewer miles, even though we do the same work for the same company. This is our main driver. It's much more comfortable, but part of that is the ability to see around us without sitting like we're in a big truck. It's a little jerky with my lead-foot issue, but overall, this Explorer has been the best vehicle I've ever owned for confidence inspired and comfortable driving. This would include my past Grand Marquis' from 89, 97 and 04, all purchased new by someone in my immediate family. That said, it's no F-350 SuperCrew or TownCar. It is a good mix, with some towing ability(and it does well) and truck like torque, to go along with it's "large car" feel inside. It rides nice for any SUV with the slightest rough road capability and I feel confident to take it just about anywhere I might need and/or want to go. They're expensive, frankly, but worth owning if you need such a vehicle, or just really want one. If I buy an SUV next, I'm looking for a 2010 Explorer because Ford, well... RUINED it for the 2011 model by removing the frame, deleting V8 engine(though the new engines out-power my 4.6L(and totally lack its torque no matter what they may say) option, and WORSE by far, they made it FRONT WHEEL DRIVE standard... It WAS an SUV and now it will be a CUV, at best. Sadly, I'm convinced sales with drop even though the new ones look pretty. They cost more as well. For those reasons, I'm keeping my 2004 for now. Front wheel drive is GARBAGE compared to rear wheel drive. It always has been and it always will be. It hurts handling and increases costs with essentially zero benefits to any decent driver."