2003 Ford Explorer

7.5

Based on 1125 Ratings for the 2002 - 2005 models.

Good Truck

By on Monday, November 26, 2007

"I have owned my 2003 Explorers since I bought it new. I have 120,000 miles on it now and am expecting to keep it for awhile. The repairs have been reasonable, but I never like to have anything go bad. When it was new within the first couple of weeks, it was stalling on takeoff. I took it back to the dealer, and they fixed it. It has never done it again. At 105,000 miles, I had to replace some of the parking brake, as well as the brake pads. The ride is pretty rough, but it is a real SUV built on a truck type chasis, not a SUV shaped body placed on a car plateform. The ride improved significatly when the Michelin tires finally wore out at 85,000 miles. I replaced them with a set of Goodyears that take some of the bumps out. The cloth seats that I have are supportive, but way below par on comfort. The Front seats are bad enough, but the back seats are almost embarrasing when taking friends on hunting trips. One drawback is that as of the last time I check Uhaul still will not rent a trailer when they know it will be towed by this Explorer. I have had at least 1000 lbs. of bricks in the back, and this truck had no issues at all. From the outside, it did not appear to sag at all. I was impressed, and begain to understand why the ride is rough. It is hard to give both a soft ride, and a large payload capacity. I did get stuck in a 3 ft. drift of snow once. I tried to just barrel through it in my driveway instead of shoveling it. The truck ended up just teatering on the snow without enough wieght on the wheels to move itself. I ended up shoveling the snow from underneath the truck, and got it going. I may be a little picky whith the heat, but I like the heat to blow on my feet and never on my face. In this truck, the hot air somehow misses my feet, and bounces off the floor up into my face. Not a big deal for most people, but it is the little things that make you fall in love with a vehicle. I fell in love with the 1997 thunderbird I had. This truck just seems to do what I expect, but does not instill passion. I hope this helps."

Great Buy

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I recently purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 4.6 Liter SOHC V8 and Four-Wheel Drive. I can say honestly that I haven't been happier about a vehicle I have bought. I was originally concerned about getting it since it is five years old and had 61,000 miles on it. Well, It now has almost 70,000 on it, has been to the Beach (Literally on it), in mud (Never once got stuck), and has been driven all over town and on the highways. I feel secure, it has pretty decent get-up-and-go, and is sure footed in the corners or under hard braking. I read a lot of car magazines, like Motor Trend, Car & Driver, and Road & Track, and so I did a little of my own testing. With mine being an Eddie Bauer with a V8, I got it to run to 60 in about 8 seconds. The fastest I had it was 110, maybe 112. There is a speed governor, so it tops out right around there. My average MPG in town is around 13, and on the highway I get about 20-21. Not great, but I've driven worse. Off-Road, the suspension travel leaves something to be desired. Numerous times I have encountered un-even terrain and gotten stuck. Well, not stuck, but couldn't go forward without a running start. Two tires come off the ground and even in four low, it won't go. When it has all four down, it seems like it is unstoppable by the elements of nature. I'm sure that I could get it stuck should I try, but I think I'll leave that to the guys that don't care about what they drive. The interior is extreamly comfortable, decently quiet, the stereo is clear and can get pretty loud, there is room for all five people (I have the five passenger model), and the view out is relatively good. One comment I get from alot of people is that fact that the rear windows go all the way down. The adults like that. With the window lock on, the Children have no control of the window and it proves to be very helpful with three to six year olds in the back. Cargo room is abundant, I have yet to use the roof racks cause I can fit everything I need in the back. I would strongly recommend that a person looking for a reliable mid-size sport utility stop by a Ford dealer or used-car lot, or heck, even your neighbors house to take a look at an Explorer. You can go wrong!"

My favorite vehicle of all times

By on Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Pros: "Love almost everything about it"

Cons: "Third row is a pain to get into"

"I owned many cars ,trucks, caravans and I have to say my 2004 FordEplorer is my favorite. It's definitly not a feminine vehicle .i have 189,000 miles with all origanal parts. I finally had to replace parts but only had to spend $2,500 for all new tires, bearing, upper lower control arm, alignment some rear work as well. This Truck never stood me wrong. I love how it rides. Mind you its not a smooth ride like a Honda pilot. This is a manly truck. I am afraid to get a newer model, newer is not always better"

Had this vehicle the longest ever

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

"I bought this truck used in 2003 with 20K miles on it and brand new tires. I have since put on over 180K miles on it driving it up and down interstate 95 visiting family and friends. This truck is very roomy and comfortable whether traveling with just my family of 4 or taking my teenage daughter and 6 of her friends sometimes, everyone fits. No real mechanical problems to speak of just usual brakes, oil and filter, transmission fluid change, new set of tires, did do back differential but that seems to common. I live in Long Island NY so it has been snow, hail, rain and heat. No rust and paint still looks good, a few minor scratches and dings but hey truck is 12 years old. Would love to get another one but just too expensive and I would like to cut down on the 70 per week gas fill up. But absolutely loved my explorer and glad I made the purchase all those years ago."

Love it! Just keeps on going, through anything!

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, great in winter!"

Cons: "Gas mileage not great, but could be due to age"

"Bought this Explorer with 170,000 miles and have had it for 5 years with not a lot of repairs. Now I use it to deliver mail for the USPS. Never have to worry about getting stuck in rural PA! She just keeps on ticking!"