2002 Ford Explorer

7.5

Based on 1145 Ratings for the 2002 - 2005 models.

great car, my third one. only changed color

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Cons: "gas milage could be better in this economy"

"My third explorer, it's a 2005, bought new,very reliable, easy access with running boards. Leather interior makes easy cleaning. A/c, radio/cup holders, phone, disc player, all the comforts of home. Feel real safe because I am up higher for great visibility on the road."

I would buy it again, no regrets

By on Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pros: "style, awesome turning radius and manueverability"

Cons: "Fuel economy only about 12 mpg city"

"Just turned over 265,000 miles still running strong on original engine and transmission. It does have little quirks like abs light, O/D light from time to time, but they have been on for the last 100k miles or so. It does have the Ford Explorer crack on the rear hatch. I have changed oil every 5k miles since new, had to change ball joints, tie rod ends, an alternator, a bunch of tires ,a battery, but other than that it is original. I plan on driving it for another 100k."

Love this car

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive,"

Cons: "seats do not lie flat for storage"

"Very comfortable to drive long distances. I am short but it firs me very well even though it is a large SUV"

True Utility very good SUV

By on Saturday, October 24, 2015

Pros: "Good drivetrain, great utility of you use it"

Cons: "Rear wheel and differential bearings"

"I am the sole owner of my 2003 Ford Explorer XLT that has 145k miles on the odometer. With 88 cu.ft of space with the seats folded down it hauls plenty of gear and belongings, and with the added security of 4 wheel drive you will get to you intended destination. I use the utility this vehicle offers as it's intended purpose and it's not just a grocery getter. The original design is well executed, and with the NBX trim package with gloss silver birch paint, and black trim and a grey grill, with a graphite and black interior and silver '17 wheels the exterior looks great and the interior has worn very well. My intention upon purchase was to avoid unnecessary options like a sunroof and a third row seat. The truth is you need to maintain these vehicles well. If you're the type who cares about over all maintenance from fluid changes, spark plugs, etc. It will serve you well. Be aware these trucks had problems with rear wheel and differential carrier bearings. While not cheap to fix, the transmission, and my v6 4.0 have been flawless. The issue with the rear glass hatch cracking was not a defect. It is from slamming the hatch unevenly. If you take the time and gentle push the hatch closed from the middle the cracking will never occur as it hasn't on my truck. If you take care of your belongings and understand vehicle maintenance a 2003 Ford explorer will serve you well for many, many years."

This truck does it all for me Eddie Bauer V8

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

Pros: "Will do it all, haul people, cargo, lots of power"

Cons: "Bad reviews info screen too dark in daylight"

"I choose the 2002 explorer even though i have heard about all the problems, owning all fords my whole life i felt like i couldn't go wrong. I purchased it used from a ford dealership with 68,000. I have owned this vehicle for 4 years, eddie bauer v8 all wheel drive. I was a little apprehensive about this purchase, but i have to say that 4 years later i am very happy, only minor problems, i have put on 45,000 miles in four years, from highway driving, light off road/sand-dirt, and snow. I have heard alot of bad reviews about transmissions, and other serious problems, maybe im lucky, i have not experienced any of the major problems, i maintain it very well, changing major fluids before recommended intervals sometimes in the crucial areas like trans, transfer case, coolant. It is very fast, lots of extra power with the v8 that you don't get with the v6, i guess only time will tell!"