2002 Ford Explorer

7.5

Based on 1130 Ratings for the 2002 - 2005 models.

This was my baby!

By on Thursday, December 20, 2012

Pros: "Dependable, Roomy, Handles Great, Safe!"

Cons: "Gas mileage, 3rd row hard to enter/exit"

Passenger Side view of mine

"200,000 and engine still purrs like a kitten! Everything handles as if it only has a couple thousand instead of a couple hundred thousand miles! If you take care of these cars, they will last! I'm 5 ft tall. I bought this because, while not the smallest, it was so easy to drive. The adjustable seats that raise for height and go forward for length are awesome. Mine also had the optional foot pedals adjust, so the pedals moved up instead of me having to sit right on top of the wheel. So worth the money. We have a big family, but I didn't want a van. The third row seats allow me to seat three adults and four carseats! A note on the third row seat-not easy to get in and out of, but I never sat there :) so it didn't bother me. But once you were in them-very comfortable. Just had some guy slam into the side of my car while I was driving about 40 mph. It messed up the whole side of the car. Everyone had belts on - no injuries at all. It handled very well and while he pushed the car and it spun completely around into the other direction. It never even leaned or felt like it would tip over! It started right up and drove home also! (Though I think there might be frame damage) Overall this car is so easy to drive and has so much room. Its dependable and I always felt safe. Will definitely buy another! And I recommend highly to you!"

Passenger Side view of mine

great car, my third one. only changed color

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Cons: "gas milage could be better in this economy"

"My third explorer, it's a 2005, bought new,very reliable, easy access with running boards. Leather interior makes easy cleaning. A/c, radio/cup holders, phone, disc player, all the comforts of home. Feel real safe because I am up higher for great visibility on the road."

Plan on keeping this it until it dies

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "great to drive"

Cons: "gotta keep the back up sensors clean"

first road trip to the beach

"In the year that I have owned this vehicle I have put just under 14,000 miles on it. I have taken it to the beach and on the beach, where I purposely got it stuck in the sand with advancetrac on and in 4wd auto and full air in tires, switched advancetrac off and locked it into 4wd and kept the air in the tires and immediately crawled out and of my hole. Even pulled a Chevy out too. Also took it up to the mountain for some off road snow play and never once thought I was going to get stuck, nor did I get stuck. Towed my parents camping trailer with ease. Smooth on the road and off the road."

first road trip to the beach

I would buy it again, no regrets

By on Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pros: "style, awesome turning radius and manueverability"

Cons: "Fuel economy only about 12 mpg city"

"Just turned over 265,000 miles still running strong on original engine and transmission. It does have little quirks like abs light, O/D light from time to time, but they have been on for the last 100k miles or so. It does have the Ford Explorer crack on the rear hatch. I have changed oil every 5k miles since new, had to change ball joints, tie rod ends, an alternator, a bunch of tires ,a battery, but other than that it is original. I plan on driving it for another 100k."

outstanding vehicle

By on Sunday, August 02, 2015

"I have owned this car for 12 years. I have never encountered a single problem with the engine, mechanics, or overall functioning of the vehicle. It is a beautiful pearl white, has a tan leather interior, and a sunroof. I have never missed an oil change or tire rotation. The engine is in mint condition. The vehicle has never been wrecked. It has been a wonderful car!"