2000 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1169 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

we have owned top explores.

By on Monday, December 31, 2007

"We have owned two exporers and I would recommend them highly. The first was a 1997 which was a great vehicle. We drove it for 185,000 miles and sold it to the mechanic who serviced it. We now own a 2000 explorer which has 100,000 miles and we just purchased new tires because we plan on it going many more miles. This is a true work horse and I would buy another. Just maintain it and it will go on and on. I am convinced that this is a good vehicle based on our experience."

Great Truck

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Great interior package that you can't get anymore."

Cons: "V8 is way to hard on gas mileage!"

"I bought my truck new and it's been with me for 14 years, aside from the gas mileage being too low with the V8, it's been a great truck for all my needs."

Tried to Drive the Wheels Off but Couldn't

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "Fantastic return on investment."

Cons: "Too tall for short wife; thirsty."

"I always keep my cars until they are fully spent by virtue of major mechanical failure or just so many nickel and dime repairs it's no longer worth keeping. This Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer has defied my attempts to send it to the salvage yard. Presently it has 244,000 miles and counting on the original engine and transmission. All I can say is...WOW! I bought this 1997 model year (built in Aug. 1996) in 1999 as b-day gift for myself. It's turned into the gift that keeps on giving...and giving...and giving. Really! It had 56,000 miles when I bought it. I've added nearly 190,000 miles. Sure I've replaced the wearable components: tires and breaks (3x), radiator w/hoses (3x), transmission service - filter and fluid change only (1x), oil changes every 5K miles need it or not (38x). This is all pretty basic for this many miles driven. I am looking to sell the old girl now as my wife wants a 4-door lower to the ground so it's easier to get the baby in and out of the vehicle. If I could, I'd keep this SUV and make it my daughters first car...only by then gasoline powered cars will be museum pieces, not daily drivers...(sigh)."

Dependable

By on Monday, March 08, 2010

"I've owned my 98' Explorer since 2005. It had only 80K miles when I got it. Aside from the usual items (brakes, tires), I had to replace the fuel pump at 162K miles. The idler pulley went out at 158K. The only real complaint I have is: 1. The dash lights have a tendency to go dim ocassionally, which is corrected by dialing the dimmer switch. 2. The rear wiper loaction is a factory mistake. The motor is rubber mounted, causing the wiper to lift off the window at the halfway point, taking way the pressure needed to keep the blade on the entire window as it wipes. This can be easily fixed by moving the wiper arm up so that the blade lays on the lower corner of the glass. Then use a needle nose pliers to bed the actual arms on the blade itself, so that it fits tighter on the glass. It now wipes 98% of the rear window. Other than that, it runs and drives great. The seats aren't the softest, but they are pretty comfortable. I'd buy another if I ever sell this one."

Best Vehicle Ever !! 232854 miles and still going

By on Sunday, December 27, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, Good looking vehicle, been with 10 years"

Cons: "all door latches and locks are of poor quality"

"I bought it in 2006. with 118.000 miles I'm the second owner' I kept up with the required maintenance an ounce of prevention. Since the day I bought it/ the engine has always started on the first turn of the ignition/ there have been a number of repairs needing to be done in 2015. which should be expected considering the miles on it, also this is the first American made vehicle I've owned that has gone above 200,000"

1995 Limited

By on Friday, October 17, 2008

"We purchased this vehicle used in 2001 and have since put 100k miles on it. She now has 183,000 and going strong. Had to get the transmission replaced at 134k and of course the alternator, idler pulley, etc, but besides that normal care. We switched all the fluids over to synthetic and get 16 mph city and 22 hwy with 17.5 mixed. I love this vehicle, and will drive it into the ground, we just picked up a 2002 for the wife and she loves that one. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

By on Thursday, December 27, 2007

"Bought my 96 with 150,000 miles on it. I`ve had it 3 years with no problems at all. Last year I did take it to the ford place and spent 1000 on it for a tune up and fuel system cleaning. Couldn`t ask for a more reliable car. It now has 250,000 miles on it and drives great. Highly recommend"

Good vehicle, but has problems

By on Thursday, November 01, 2007

"We've had it for 8 years now and it has done fairly well. Just the fuel economy really hurts this car. It has decent power but not enough to justify the horrible fuel economy. But other than that it is a tough and reliable suv."

Hated to see it go!

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"We have had this SUV for 11yrs and it has been the best vehicle! Hate to see it go. It has remained our "extra" vehicle for when our new ones had dead batteries.... and flat tires. Like the energizer bunny, just kept on going! Now it will go to our daughter............"

my truck was very good to me

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"i had my 96 explorer for 14 months. some not-so-nice bag man hit me and ultimately totaled my baby (my truck). now despite all the bad things i heard about ford, i am super happy i opted to buy this truck. i bought it from a previous owner who was second to own it, then i was the third. i was told he husband took very good care of it. i had minimal problems with my explorer. the check engine light came on once, which costed me $240 to fix- part and labor. my truck did so much more than bring me from point A to B- i'd definitely reccomend an explorer to anyone! i had a very good experience. brake pads are price-y and a tune up was estimated at $250-$400 (my being a female probably played a role in that one). attempting to flush the anti-freeze was difficult because everything is close together under the hood- but i'm sure it would have been do-able. back passenger doors were sometimes too difficult for small children to open, unlocking the doors when they needed to be opened was usually necessary (even though the door can be opened without having to unlock with power locks). overall, my truck was good to me despite what i'd heard. with regular oil changes, frequent fluid checks, and simple monitoring of noises and drive patterns- my explorer did what i needed and more. she purred like a kitten. lol. may her engine rest in peace."