1999 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1177 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

Great SUV

By on Thursday, March 6, 2008

"I have had this 98 XLT for 2 years now. All I have done is normal maintance other then I had to replace the intake Manifold gaskets. that I did myself in 2 hours. Ive put 17,000 miles on it since I have had it, has 145,120 miles on it. I have drove it from Columbus, ohio to New Orleans, LA, with no problems at all and got 20mpg, only down fall is comfort on the long trip. Only other problem is the Radio/clock display dont work, but the radio, CD and tape works great, the display comes on once in a great while for a few minutes. I also have a 92 explorer non 4x4 that I have had the transmission rebuilt twice, the A4LD transmissions are junk, so if you want to buy a explorer or ranger Have the transmissions checked, and avoid the A4LDs!!"

Hasn't failed me yet!

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Great 4x4, timeless design, comfortable cabin"

Cons: "horrible gas mileage, underpowered"

The day I got it! Clean & lookin' sharp.

"So this was my first truck, and I bought it used with just over 150k miles about a year ago. It's a 1997 Explorer Sport, and this thing has just blown me away. I've put almost 40k miles on it in the last year, and I haven't had a single problem other than an $8 heater control valve. Every morning it starts without hesitation, even with the unusual winter we've had in NC. Which brings me to one of my biggest points; the 4x4 on this truck is incredible. My Explorer is equipped with the optional limited slip differential, combined with the ControlTrak 4x4 system, I had no issues in the snow and ice. I have to drive in moderate off road/muddy conditions every day, and I have never had a problem, even running with cheap Dextero street tires. I drive it hard, take 7-8 hour long trips frequently, off road daily, and haul friends and family everywhere. It's comfortable, it runs smooth, it's got plenty of towing torque, and it's safe. I do have a few complaints though. One, the base 4.0 OHV V6 is severely under-powered and requires a lead foot pulling out on to highways. The gas mileage is absolute garbage. It feels hesitant in tight corners, and the transmission is starting to shift hard. Considering what I put the truck through, I'm not surprised. To make up for those complaints though, I installed an aftermarket air intake, it gave a bit more power and improved the mileage by 2-3mpg. A $200 investment that's already paid for itself. All in all, this truck has never failed me, and is, for lack of better words, Built Ford Tough."

The day I got it! Clean & lookin' sharp.

bough my 2000 with 127000

By on Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pros: "All the extra toys and safty"

Cons: "Gas milage But worth it"

"I love this truck, Great when I go anywhere even fishing. Take off road no problem, I laugh at our snow fall now chews up the snow and spits it out, drove through 29 inch snow storm with ease. I feel very safe in this truck"

4x4 all weather love

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pros: "RELIABLE & COMFORTABLE FOR FRONT PASSENGERS"

Cons: "greater seat belt adj. & larger rain duct diam."

"I'm the second owner. Purchased at 60,000 miles. Transmission ran a little rough at 99,000 miles - did 2 transmission fluid changes - cleared up any particulate in the system. Ran perfectly until 215,000 when I had the bands changed out. Runs just like it did at 60k mi. I take this vehicle for mild off-road exploring. It gets me to work through heavy snow and weather conditions when others in pricier all wx-traction vehicles are stuck on the side of the road. I regularly get 17.8 mpg. During snow conditions in 4wd high gear my mpg drops to 14. Still handles well. Corners pretty tightly for an SUV. I am having some trouble with the rain ducts around the sun-roof, but that can be helped by keeping the ducts clear so they don't back up in heavy rains. The only mild complaint I've had from passengers in the back seat on long trips is that the seat's aren't the most comfortable, but still not bad, and they'd like a head rest and greater adjustment on the seat-belt height so it won't choke shorter passengers. (I'd like that too.) I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!! Good maintenance = long life. FANTASTIC ENGINE!!! SMOOTH!!!"

good vehicle

By on Monday, September 14, 2009

"I purchased a 99 ford explorer with over 140,00 miles on it (scary, i know) but to my surprise i have not had any serious problems with it...it now has 182,000 miles on it and i have not had to replace anything on it.the only minor problem i had was the driver side door latch would not unlock..but that cost me 50 bucks to fix..decent vehicle. when im done with college i may get a new ford explorer"