1999 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1169 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

we have owned top explores.

By on Monday, December 31, 2007

"We have owned two exporers and I would recommend them highly. The first was a 1997 which was a great vehicle. We drove it for 185,000 miles and sold it to the mechanic who serviced it. We now own a 2000 explorer which has 100,000 miles and we just purchased new tires because we plan on it going many more miles. This is a true work horse and I would buy another. Just maintain it and it will go on and on. I am convinced that this is a good vehicle based on our experience."

Great Truck

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Great interior package that you can't get anymore."

Cons: "V8 is way to hard on gas mileage!"

"I bought my truck new and it's been with me for 14 years, aside from the gas mileage being too low with the V8, it's been a great truck for all my needs."

Tried to Drive the Wheels Off but Couldn't

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "Fantastic return on investment."

Cons: "Too tall for short wife; thirsty."

"I always keep my cars until they are fully spent by virtue of major mechanical failure or just so many nickel and dime repairs it's no longer worth keeping. This Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer has defied my attempts to send it to the salvage yard. Presently it has 244,000 miles and counting on the original engine and transmission. All I can say is...WOW! I bought this 1997 model year (built in Aug. 1996) in 1999 as b-day gift for myself. It's turned into the gift that keeps on giving...and giving...and giving. Really! It had 56,000 miles when I bought it. I've added nearly 190,000 miles. Sure I've replaced the wearable components: tires and breaks (3x), radiator w/hoses (3x), transmission service - filter and fluid change only (1x), oil changes every 5K miles need it or not (38x). This is all pretty basic for this many miles driven. I am looking to sell the old girl now as my wife wants a 4-door lower to the ground so it's easier to get the baby in and out of the vehicle. If I could, I'd keep this SUV and make it my daughters first car...only by then gasoline powered cars will be museum pieces, not daily drivers...(sigh)."

Dependable

By on Monday, March 08, 2010

"I've owned my 98' Explorer since 2005. It had only 80K miles when I got it. Aside from the usual items (brakes, tires), I had to replace the fuel pump at 162K miles. The idler pulley went out at 158K. The only real complaint I have is: 1. The dash lights have a tendency to go dim ocassionally, which is corrected by dialing the dimmer switch. 2. The rear wiper loaction is a factory mistake. The motor is rubber mounted, causing the wiper to lift off the window at the halfway point, taking way the pressure needed to keep the blade on the entire window as it wipes. This can be easily fixed by moving the wiper arm up so that the blade lays on the lower corner of the glass. Then use a needle nose pliers to bed the actual arms on the blade itself, so that it fits tighter on the glass. It now wipes 98% of the rear window. Other than that, it runs and drives great. The seats aren't the softest, but they are pretty comfortable. I'd buy another if I ever sell this one."

Best Vehicle Ever !! 232854 miles and still going

By on Sunday, December 27, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, Good looking vehicle, been with 10 years"

Cons: "all door latches and locks are of poor quality"

"I bought it in 2006. with 118.000 miles I'm the second owner' I kept up with the required maintenance an ounce of prevention. Since the day I bought it/ the engine has always started on the first turn of the ignition/ there have been a number of repairs needing to be done in 2015. which should be expected considering the miles on it, also this is the first American made vehicle I've owned that has gone above 200,000"

1995 Limited

By on Friday, October 17, 2008

"We purchased this vehicle used in 2001 and have since put 100k miles on it. She now has 183,000 and going strong. Had to get the transmission replaced at 134k and of course the alternator, idler pulley, etc, but besides that normal care. We switched all the fluids over to synthetic and get 16 mph city and 22 hwy with 17.5 mixed. I love this vehicle, and will drive it into the ground, we just picked up a 2002 for the wife and she loves that one. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

By on Thursday, December 27, 2007

"Bought my 96 with 150,000 miles on it. I`ve had it 3 years with no problems at all. Last year I did take it to the ford place and spent 1000 on it for a tune up and fuel system cleaning. Couldn`t ask for a more reliable car. It now has 250,000 miles on it and drives great. Highly recommend"

Good vehicle, but has problems

By on Thursday, November 01, 2007

"We've had it for 8 years now and it has done fairly well. Just the fuel economy really hurts this car. It has decent power but not enough to justify the horrible fuel economy. But other than that it is a tough and reliable suv."

Hated to see it go!

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"We have had this SUV for 11yrs and it has been the best vehicle! Hate to see it go. It has remained our "extra" vehicle for when our new ones had dead batteries.... and flat tires. Like the energizer bunny, just kept on going! Now it will go to our daughter............"

my truck was very good to me

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"i had my 96 explorer for 14 months. some not-so-nice bag man hit me and ultimately totaled my baby (my truck). now despite all the bad things i heard about ford, i am super happy i opted to buy this truck. i bought it from a previous owner who was second to own it, then i was the third. i was told he husband took very good care of it. i had minimal problems with my explorer. the check engine light came on once, which costed me $240 to fix- part and labor. my truck did so much more than bring me from point A to B- i'd definitely reccomend an explorer to anyone! i had a very good experience. brake pads are price-y and a tune up was estimated at $250-$400 (my being a female probably played a role in that one). attempting to flush the anti-freeze was difficult because everything is close together under the hood- but i'm sure it would have been do-able. back passenger doors were sometimes too difficult for small children to open, unlocking the doors when they needed to be opened was usually necessary (even though the door can be opened without having to unlock with power locks). overall, my truck was good to me despite what i'd heard. with regular oil changes, frequent fluid checks, and simple monitoring of noises and drive patterns- my explorer did what i needed and more. she purred like a kitten. lol. may her engine rest in peace."

Love this SUV

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"We have had our Explorer for 8 years. We love it. Will definitly by another Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer. It has been virtually problem free and still runs great with 176000 miles on it."

Great Value

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I have owned my 1997 explorer for over 5 years and it has not let me down. It has over 175,000 miles and is driven on a daily basis. I would recommend an explorer any day of the week if you are looking for a dependable comfortable ride."

Hasn't failed me yet!

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Great 4x4, timeless design, comfortable cabin"

Cons: "horrible gas mileage, underpowered"

The day I got it! Clean & lookin' sharp.

"So this was my first truck, and I bought it used with just over 150k miles about a year ago. It's a 1997 Explorer Sport, and this thing has just blown me away. I've put almost 40k miles on it in the last year, and I haven't had a single problem other than an $8 heater control valve. Every morning it starts without hesitation, even with the unusual winter we've had in NC. Which brings me to one of my biggest points; the 4x4 on this truck is incredible. My Explorer is equipped with the optional limited slip differential, combined with the ControlTrak 4x4 system, I had no issues in the snow and ice. I have to drive in moderate off road/muddy conditions every day, and I have never had a problem, even running with cheap Dextero street tires. I drive it hard, take 7-8 hour long trips frequently, off road daily, and haul friends and family everywhere. It's comfortable, it runs smooth, it's got plenty of towing torque, and it's safe. I do have a few complaints though. One, the base 4.0 OHV V6 is severely under-powered and requires a lead foot pulling out on to highways. The gas mileage is absolute garbage. It feels hesitant in tight corners, and the transmission is starting to shift hard. Considering what I put the truck through, I'm not surprised. To make up for those complaints though, I installed an aftermarket air intake, it gave a bit more power and improved the mileage by 2-3mpg. A $200 investment that's already paid for itself. All in all, this truck has never failed me, and is, for lack of better words, Built Ford Tough."

The day I got it! Clean & lookin' sharp.

bough my 2000 with 127000

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "All the extra toys and safty"

Cons: "Gas milage But worth it"

"I love this truck, Great when I go anywhere even fishing. Take off road no problem, I laugh at our snow fall now chews up the snow and spits it out, drove through 29 inch snow storm with ease. I feel very safe in this truck"

Problematic

By on Friday, May 28, 2010

"This vehicle had had numerous problems. The door handles have broken off on 2 doors. Thermostat stuck, needed a head gasket job; intake vavle rear main seal, upper and lower ball joints have had to be replaced twice. Transmission is slipping and 4WD doesn;t work correctly. The vehicle has only 113,000 miles on it. when we bought it 4 years ago it had 72,000. Can't wait to pay it off and trade it in for something besides another Ford!"

good vehicle

By on Monday, September 14, 2009

"I purchased a 99 ford explorer with over 140,00 miles on it (scary, i know) but to my surprise i have not had any serious problems with it...it now has 182,000 miles on it and i have not had to replace anything on it.the only minor problem i had was the driver side door latch would not unlock..but that cost me 50 bucks to fix..decent vehicle. when im done with college i may get a new ford explorer"

Best Rig I've Ever Owned

By on Tuesday, September 01, 2009

"I have driven my 1998 Ford Explorer for the last 12 years…I purchased in new and I just love it. After all these years I have had no major repairs. The rig has the original alternator, starter, transmission, engine, A/C & P/S. All interior lights, electronics, and power windows, seats are original without any problems and no leaks anywhere. The only problems are that the transmission needed some adjustments while the rig was under warranty. The transmission was making a hissing sound when idling. It did have an overheated issue due to a stuck thermostat. I had to replace the front wheel bearings & rotors. And I needed to put in a new turn signal. The rig is just a solid safe and comfortable truck. It’s drives much smoother and is has noticeably less road noise then my wife’s 2002 Honda Odyssey (which is a great people mover car and more practical that the Explorer) If the transmission dies I would have it fixed, but if the engine dies it would need to put her down. I’m planning to get at least 5 more years out of so I can give it to my daughter. I would love to get a new rig, but I can’t find anything better than my 1998 Ford Explorer XLT, that costs less than $50,000. Keep on trucking!!!"

TRANSMISSION

By on Friday, October 24, 2008

"for 99 and 2000 ford explorer V8 have a problem with their tansmission computer. half of them that experiance a tansmission failure is due to this. Mine has been in and out of the shop for 6 months because of this and is finally almost working (has to go in for transmission fluid leak because of a terrible mechanic). I would avoid this car in a V8 model!"

modern day Sherman Tank

By on Saturday, October 18, 2008

"The bad; 18 miles per gallon gasoline. 3 transmissions in 200k miles. 2 150 dollar each front hub wheel bearings 200k miles. 1 40 dollar fan belt adjuster assembly 180k miles. 1 160 dollar altenator 200k miles. 1 faulty under hood electronic relay box. 0 will not turn heads at a dragstrip. The good; Engine rpm to gear ratios excellent. Will take a logging trail surprisingly well. Ford quality interior and acoustics. Switches standing the test of time. Seats and ride quality better than GM or Dodge. Engine surprisingly strong with 200k miles [knock on wood]."

Great SUV

By on Thursday, March 06, 2008

"I have had this 98 XLT for 2 years now. All I have done is normal maintance other then I had to replace the intake Manifold gaskets. that I did myself in 2 hours. Ive put 17,000 miles on it since I have had it, has 145,120 miles on it. I have drove it from Columbus, ohio to New Orleans, LA, with no problems at all and got 20mpg, only down fall is comfort on the long trip. Only other problem is the Radio/clock display dont work, but the radio, CD and tape works great, the display comes on once in a great while for a few minutes. I also have a 92 explorer non 4x4 that I have had the transmission rebuilt twice, the A4LD transmissions are junk, so if you want to buy a explorer or ranger Have the transmissions checked, and avoid the A4LDs!!"

2001 Ford Explorer

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Bought vehicle with 60,000 miles. Now has over 125,000. Have never done any work other than general maintanance. Not a lot of power, but only has the V6. Runs well, rides nice and gets decent mileage (16/21). Interior has held up well and all the electronics work great. Has been a very good, reliable vehicle and I would get another if I were looking for a new SUV."

FORD still stands for Fix Or Repair Daily!

By on Friday, October 04, 2013

Pros: "Plenty of rear rargo space"

Cons: "Reliability issues, weak acceleration (V6 models)"

1998 Ford Explorer XLT

"This is the third Explorer that I have owned since 1992. I purchased my current Explorer from a friend in 2009 to replace my '96 Explorer which literally rusted apart. When I bought this one, it was in excellent condition, with no issues and no rust, as it came from North Carolina. However, in the four years that I have owned it, all sorts of problems have appeared. The transmission has started to slip and I can no longer use the remote to open the door locks, as there is some sort of electrical malfunction (If I want to lock the doors, I must use the key code to open them). Also, there is a problem with the front passenger side window, as it come off it's tracks whenever I attempt to roll it down. Additionally, even though the tailgate itself opens with no problem, the rear tailgate glass will not open. The overdrive button will not engage, and I need a new Transfer Case. Now I realize that my truck is over 15 years old and has almost 150,000 miles on the odometer, but considering the fact that the truck has been taken care of it's whole life, I am a little disappointed in it's durability and reliability."

1998 Ford Explorer XLT

4x4 all weather love

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pros: "RELIABLE & COMFORTABLE FOR FRONT PASSENGERS"

Cons: "greater seat belt adj. & larger rain duct diam."

"I'm the second owner. Purchased at 60,000 miles. Transmission ran a little rough at 99,000 miles - did 2 transmission fluid changes - cleared up any particulate in the system. Ran perfectly until 215,000 when I had the bands changed out. Runs just like it did at 60k mi. I take this vehicle for mild off-road exploring. It gets me to work through heavy snow and weather conditions when others in pricier all wx-traction vehicles are stuck on the side of the road. I regularly get 17.8 mpg. During snow conditions in 4wd high gear my mpg drops to 14. Still handles well. Corners pretty tightly for an SUV. I am having some trouble with the rain ducts around the sun-roof, but that can be helped by keeping the ducts clear so they don't back up in heavy rains. The only mild complaint I've had from passengers in the back seat on long trips is that the seat's aren't the most comfortable, but still not bad, and they'd like a head rest and greater adjustment on the seat-belt height so it won't choke shorter passengers. (I'd like that too.) I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!! Good maintenance = long life. FANTASTIC ENGINE!!! SMOOTH!!!"

Very dependable

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "Gets you out of trouble on the highway."

Cons: "Center armrest unhinged."

"I used this as my service vehicle (from client-to-client) , I purchased it with 44,000 miles on it and it still has the same feel when driving.The only thing that happened during my 10 year ownership was that the drivers side window regulator broke and the shifting cable slipped a notch, but it still runs great."

Excellent SUV

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Pros: "Reasonable purchase price, cheap maintenance"

Cons: "Ride is stiff; not a crossover"

"I bought Explorer with 80k already on it, all I wanted was a vehicle that would last another 50k and not have to worry about messing up the family car hauling thing it it. Well almost 200k miles later it is still running great, I have had changed plugs regularly, changed wiring harness once, replaced generator once and other than tires and battery this is all I have done. It gets 18MPG on hwy and 14MPG town, nothing to brag about but what I paid for it and the CHEAP maintenance, I can live with the gas mileage. I do not drive much anymore and this is more than I need."