1999 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1160 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"What a great car. 140,000 miles later, and I lost my AC. Thats not bad for hard winters and salty air. I would recommend this vehicle for anyone that lives in the snow and enjoys the outdoors."

Love this SUV

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"We have had our Explorer for 8 years. We love it. Will definitly by another Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer. It has been virtually problem free and still runs great with 176000 miles on it."

Great Value

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I have owned my 1997 explorer for over 5 years and it has not let me down. It has over 175,000 miles and is driven on a daily basis. I would recommend an explorer any day of the week if you are looking for a dependable comfortable ride."

Love My Explorer

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"I have had my Ford Explorer for 10 years. I love it!! She has over 190000 miles under her wheels and still runs great with very little mechanical problems (had an alternator belt tensioner come off). Could not ask for a more dependable vehicle."

Hasn't failed me yet!

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Great 4x4, timeless design, comfortable cabin"

Cons: "horrible gas mileage, underpowered"

The day I got it! Clean & lookin' sharp.

"So this was my first truck, and I bought it used with just over 150k miles about a year ago. It's a 1997 Explorer Sport, and this thing has just blown me away. I've put almost 40k miles on it in the last year, and I haven't had a single problem other than an $8 heater control valve. Every morning it starts without hesitation, even with the unusual winter we've had in NC. Which brings me to one of my biggest points; the 4x4 on this truck is incredible. My Explorer is equipped with the optional limited slip differential, combined with the ControlTrak 4x4 system, I had no issues in the snow and ice. I have to drive in moderate off road/muddy conditions every day, and I have never had a problem, even running with cheap Dextero street tires. I drive it hard, take 7-8 hour long trips frequently, off road daily, and haul friends and family everywhere. It's comfortable, it runs smooth, it's got plenty of towing torque, and it's safe. I do have a few complaints though. One, the base 4.0 OHV V6 is severely under-powered and requires a lead foot pulling out on to highways. The gas mileage is absolute garbage. It feels hesitant in tight corners, and the transmission is starting to shift hard. Considering what I put the truck through, I'm not surprised. To make up for those complaints though, I installed an aftermarket air intake, it gave a bit more power and improved the mileage by 2-3mpg. A $200 investment that's already paid for itself. All in all, this truck has never failed me, and is, for lack of better words, Built Ford Tough."

The day I got it! Clean & lookin' sharp.