1999 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1154 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

always there

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pros: "reliable, good off road"

Cons: "old, normal wear and tear"

"i have counted on this car to get me too and from school as well as when i would go on search and rescue missions for years. i have buried it to the axle in mud and put it in low range and it walked out by itself with no problem. the only problems i have with it are normal wear and tear of an old car. i love offroading and i take it every chance i get and it has even impressed some heavy offroading guys. i have kept it stock and i have never had a problem. it performs extremely well in all conditions and situations. as long as you know how to drive it. if it breaks it is your fault."

BEST SUV I EVER OWNED

By on Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pros: "Great"

"Purchased new, Eddie Bauer, great 5.0 V-8 engine, mostly hyw miles, average 19 mpg, regular gas, still looks good and everything works. It does need shocks but hold off, driving this baby till she stops, hope to make 300000. Only wish I could buy this exact Explorer new again today."

340,000 miles, 17 years old. Best car ever owned

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

"We bought it in 98, it had 17,000 miles on it. It is still good looking, and is just the best, most trouble free car we've ever owned. Our trusted mechanic, last 25 years, friend and fellow parishoner, has advised us to sell it,right now, while we still can: apparently it's not supposed to live this long...go figure."

Great little truck

By on Monday, July 18, 2011

"If you are looking for a reliable smaller truck that can take you through everything this is it. I have had the truck for 10 years and it has never let me down. Comfortable to drive and I have barely put a dime into it besides regular maintenance. Highly recommend the truck I would definitely buy a newer one when and if this one goes!"

Was amazing in snow!

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Reason: Family out grew it.

Pros: "Price (used), did exceptional in snow"

Cons: "Rear facing car seats lack space with tall drivers"

"My wife bought one the summer before we met. Within weeks it's transfer case gave up the ghost. However, this was not a vehicle flaw primarily because of it's previous owner. After pulling the old transfer case and inspecting the drive line it was very evident that it's owner before us was cheap. After fixing this issue ourselves in the drive way over a warm weekend, it was clear how nice these vehicles are. Especially in the snow. The gas is not the greatest, and feels over whelmed in the mountains. However, it does its admirably with out much fuss. I would love to purchase another Explorer of this generation; the only reason we sold ours was because car seats would not fit well with a tall driver. Perhaps my next will be one generation newer with a V8 for these mountain passes."