1998 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1178 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

Great Value

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I have owned my 1997 explorer for over 5 years and it has not let me down. It has over 175,000 miles and is driven on a daily basis. I would recommend an explorer any day of the week if you are looking for a dependable comfortable ride."

modern day Sherman Tank

By on Saturday, October 18, 2008

"The bad; 18 miles per gallon gasoline. 3 transmissions in 200k miles. 2 150 dollar each front hub wheel bearings 200k miles. 1 40 dollar fan belt adjuster assembly 180k miles. 1 160 dollar altenator 200k miles. 1 faulty under hood electronic relay box. 0 will not turn heads at a dragstrip. The good; Engine rpm to gear ratios excellent. Will take a logging trail surprisingly well. Ford quality interior and acoustics. Switches standing the test of time. Seats and ride quality better than GM or Dodge. Engine surprisingly strong with 200k miles [knock on wood]."

By on Thursday, December 27, 2007

"Bought my 96 with 150,000 miles on it. I`ve had it 3 years with no problems at all. Last year I did take it to the ford place and spent 1000 on it for a tune up and fuel system cleaning. Couldn`t ask for a more reliable car. It now has 250,000 miles on it and drives great. Highly recommend"

4x4 all weather love

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pros: "RELIABLE & COMFORTABLE FOR FRONT PASSENGERS"

Cons: "greater seat belt adj. & larger rain duct diam."

"I'm the second owner. Purchased at 60,000 miles. Transmission ran a little rough at 99,000 miles - did 2 transmission fluid changes - cleared up any particulate in the system. Ran perfectly until 215,000 when I had the bands changed out. Runs just like it did at 60k mi. I take this vehicle for mild off-road exploring. It gets me to work through heavy snow and weather conditions when others in pricier all wx-traction vehicles are stuck on the side of the road. I regularly get 17.8 mpg. During snow conditions in 4wd high gear my mpg drops to 14. Still handles well. Corners pretty tightly for an SUV. I am having some trouble with the rain ducts around the sun-roof, but that can be helped by keeping the ducts clear so they don't back up in heavy rains. The only mild complaint I've had from passengers in the back seat on long trips is that the seat's aren't the most comfortable, but still not bad, and they'd like a head rest and greater adjustment on the seat-belt height so it won't choke shorter passengers. (I'd like that too.) I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!! Good maintenance = long life. FANTASTIC ENGINE!!! SMOOTH!!!"

Best Rig I've Ever Owned

By on Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"I have driven my 1998 Ford Explorer for the last 12 years…I purchased in new and I just love it. After all these years I have had no major repairs. The rig has the original alternator, starter, transmission, engine, A/C & P/S. All interior lights, electronics, and power windows, seats are original without any problems and no leaks anywhere. The only problems are that the transmission needed some adjustments while the rig was under warranty. The transmission was making a hissing sound when idling. It did have an overheated issue due to a stuck thermostat. I had to replace the front wheel bearings & rotors. And I needed to put in a new turn signal. The rig is just a solid safe and comfortable truck. It’s drives much smoother and is has noticeably less road noise then my wife’s 2002 Honda Odyssey (which is a great people mover car and more practical that the Explorer) If the transmission dies I would have it fixed, but if the engine dies it would need to put her down. I’m planning to get at least 5 more years out of so I can give it to my daughter. I would love to get a new rig, but I can’t find anything better than my 1998 Ford Explorer XLT, that costs less than $50,000. Keep on trucking!!!"