1998 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1177 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

we have owned top explores.

By on Monday, December 31, 2007

"We have owned two exporers and I would recommend them highly. The first was a 1997 which was a great vehicle. We drove it for 185,000 miles and sold it to the mechanic who serviced it. We now own a 2000 explorer which has 100,000 miles and we just purchased new tires because we plan on it going many more miles. This is a true work horse and I would buy another. Just maintain it and it will go on and on. I am convinced that this is a good vehicle based on our experience."

Great Truck

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Great interior package that you can't get anymore."

Cons: "V8 is way to hard on gas mileage!"

"I bought my truck new and it's been with me for 14 years, aside from the gas mileage being too low with the V8, it's been a great truck for all my needs."

Tried to Drive the Wheels Off but Couldn't

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "Fantastic return on investment."

Cons: "Too tall for short wife; thirsty."

"I always keep my cars until they are fully spent by virtue of major mechanical failure or just so many nickel and dime repairs it's no longer worth keeping. This Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer has defied my attempts to send it to the salvage yard. Presently it has 244,000 miles and counting on the original engine and transmission. All I can say is...WOW! I bought this 1997 model year (built in Aug. 1996) in 1999 as b-day gift for myself. It's turned into the gift that keeps on giving...and giving...and giving. Really! It had 56,000 miles when I bought it. I've added nearly 190,000 miles. Sure I've replaced the wearable components: tires and breaks (3x), radiator w/hoses (3x), transmission service - filter and fluid change only (1x), oil changes every 5K miles need it or not (38x). This is all pretty basic for this many miles driven. I am looking to sell the old girl now as my wife wants a 4-door lower to the ground so it's easier to get the baby in and out of the vehicle. If I could, I'd keep this SUV and make it my daughters first car...only by then gasoline powered cars will be museum pieces, not daily drivers...(sigh)."

Good vehicle, but has problems

By on Thursday, November 1, 2007

"We've had it for 8 years now and it has done fairly well. Just the fuel economy really hurts this car. It has decent power but not enough to justify the horrible fuel economy. But other than that it is a tough and reliable suv."

Hated to see it go!

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"We have had this SUV for 11yrs and it has been the best vehicle! Hate to see it go. It has remained our "extra" vehicle for when our new ones had dead batteries.... and flat tires. Like the energizer bunny, just kept on going! Now it will go to our daughter............"

Great Value

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I have owned my 1997 explorer for over 5 years and it has not let me down. It has over 175,000 miles and is driven on a daily basis. I would recommend an explorer any day of the week if you are looking for a dependable comfortable ride."

By on Thursday, December 27, 2007

"Bought my 96 with 150,000 miles on it. I`ve had it 3 years with no problems at all. Last year I did take it to the ford place and spent 1000 on it for a tune up and fuel system cleaning. Couldn`t ask for a more reliable car. It now has 250,000 miles on it and drives great. Highly recommend"

Best Rig I've Ever Owned

By on Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"I have driven my 1998 Ford Explorer for the last 12 years…I purchased in new and I just love it. After all these years I have had no major repairs. The rig has the original alternator, starter, transmission, engine, A/C & P/S. All interior lights, electronics, and power windows, seats are original without any problems and no leaks anywhere. The only problems are that the transmission needed some adjustments while the rig was under warranty. The transmission was making a hissing sound when idling. It did have an overheated issue due to a stuck thermostat. I had to replace the front wheel bearings & rotors. And I needed to put in a new turn signal. The rig is just a solid safe and comfortable truck. It’s drives much smoother and is has noticeably less road noise then my wife’s 2002 Honda Odyssey (which is a great people mover car and more practical that the Explorer) If the transmission dies I would have it fixed, but if the engine dies it would need to put her down. I’m planning to get at least 5 more years out of so I can give it to my daughter. I would love to get a new rig, but I can’t find anything better than my 1998 Ford Explorer XLT, that costs less than $50,000. Keep on trucking!!!"

TRANSMISSION

By on Friday, October 24, 2008

"for 99 and 2000 ford explorer V8 have a problem with their tansmission computer. half of them that experiance a tansmission failure is due to this. Mine has been in and out of the shop for 6 months because of this and is finally almost working (has to go in for transmission fluid leak because of a terrible mechanic). I would avoid this car in a V8 model!"

modern day Sherman Tank

By on Saturday, October 18, 2008

"The bad; 18 miles per gallon gasoline. 3 transmissions in 200k miles. 2 150 dollar each front hub wheel bearings 200k miles. 1 40 dollar fan belt adjuster assembly 180k miles. 1 160 dollar altenator 200k miles. 1 faulty under hood electronic relay box. 0 will not turn heads at a dragstrip. The good; Engine rpm to gear ratios excellent. Will take a logging trail surprisingly well. Ford quality interior and acoustics. Switches standing the test of time. Seats and ride quality better than GM or Dodge. Engine surprisingly strong with 200k miles [knock on wood]."