1998 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1169 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

we have owned top explores.

By on Monday, December 31, 2007

"We have owned two exporers and I would recommend them highly. The first was a 1997 which was a great vehicle. We drove it for 185,000 miles and sold it to the mechanic who serviced it. We now own a 2000 explorer which has 100,000 miles and we just purchased new tires because we plan on it going many more miles. This is a true work horse and I would buy another. Just maintain it and it will go on and on. I am convinced that this is a good vehicle based on our experience."

Great Truck

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Great interior package that you can't get anymore."

Cons: "V8 is way to hard on gas mileage!"

"I bought my truck new and it's been with me for 14 years, aside from the gas mileage being too low with the V8, it's been a great truck for all my needs."

Tried to Drive the Wheels Off but Couldn't

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "Fantastic return on investment."

Cons: "Too tall for short wife; thirsty."

"I always keep my cars until they are fully spent by virtue of major mechanical failure or just so many nickel and dime repairs it's no longer worth keeping. This Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer has defied my attempts to send it to the salvage yard. Presently it has 244,000 miles and counting on the original engine and transmission. All I can say is...WOW! I bought this 1997 model year (built in Aug. 1996) in 1999 as b-day gift for myself. It's turned into the gift that keeps on giving...and giving...and giving. Really! It had 56,000 miles when I bought it. I've added nearly 190,000 miles. Sure I've replaced the wearable components: tires and breaks (3x), radiator w/hoses (3x), transmission service - filter and fluid change only (1x), oil changes every 5K miles need it or not (38x). This is all pretty basic for this many miles driven. I am looking to sell the old girl now as my wife wants a 4-door lower to the ground so it's easier to get the baby in and out of the vehicle. If I could, I'd keep this SUV and make it my daughters first car...only by then gasoline powered cars will be museum pieces, not daily drivers...(sigh)."

Dependable

By on Monday, March 08, 2010

"I've owned my 98' Explorer since 2005. It had only 80K miles when I got it. Aside from the usual items (brakes, tires), I had to replace the fuel pump at 162K miles. The idler pulley went out at 158K. The only real complaint I have is: 1. The dash lights have a tendency to go dim ocassionally, which is corrected by dialing the dimmer switch. 2. The rear wiper loaction is a factory mistake. The motor is rubber mounted, causing the wiper to lift off the window at the halfway point, taking way the pressure needed to keep the blade on the entire window as it wipes. This can be easily fixed by moving the wiper arm up so that the blade lays on the lower corner of the glass. Then use a needle nose pliers to bed the actual arms on the blade itself, so that it fits tighter on the glass. It now wipes 98% of the rear window. Other than that, it runs and drives great. The seats aren't the softest, but they are pretty comfortable. I'd buy another if I ever sell this one."

Best Vehicle Ever !! 232854 miles and still going

By on Sunday, December 27, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, Good looking vehicle, been with 10 years"

Cons: "all door latches and locks are of poor quality"

"I bought it in 2006. with 118.000 miles I'm the second owner' I kept up with the required maintenance an ounce of prevention. Since the day I bought it/ the engine has always started on the first turn of the ignition/ there have been a number of repairs needing to be done in 2015. which should be expected considering the miles on it, also this is the first American made vehicle I've owned that has gone above 200,000"