1998 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1157 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

we have owned top explores.

By on Monday, December 31, 2007

"We have owned two exporers and I would recommend them highly. The first was a 1997 which was a great vehicle. We drove it for 185,000 miles and sold it to the mechanic who serviced it. We now own a 2000 explorer which has 100,000 miles and we just purchased new tires because we plan on it going many more miles. This is a true work horse and I would buy another. Just maintain it and it will go on and on. I am convinced that this is a good vehicle based on our experience."

Hard working, reliable, low maintenance

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, easy to drive and park, turns on a dime"

Cons: "Sporty ride, back seat uncomfortable"

"I bought this Explorer with 30,000 miles and was fortunate enough to get five free tires because the stock ones were recalled. A great start saving me $500 at the time! Since then, as my daily driver, I have driven all along the East coast, towed trailers, pulled stumps, installed a snowplow and plowed some really heavy wet snow for my family and business. This is one great, versatile SUV even though I never "babied" it. The good: Runs great, very manuverable, turns sharp, great visibility, all wheel drive is great in rain, snow and dirt, controls are right where they should be, very reliable, lots of cargo space and headroom, paint and upholstry are still excellent, great brakes, quiet smooth motor and drivetrain, 4.0 SOHC motor has plenty of power for this size vehicle. The bad: Firm ride, back seat uncomfortable, rear windshild wiper is useless. Expenses: I replaced the thermostat, shocks, brakes, muffler/tailpipe, one fog light socket and a set of sway bar bushings. Thhis has been a very economical vehicle to own."

Very driveable, 4WD, reliable, excellent milage,

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "has been excellent choics"

Cons: "no cons"

"Used by daughter during hi school and school breaks. Made us as parents that it gave more safety. Also, used for business in the high Sierras in all seasons. Handles well on winter roads. Very reliable. Never starting problems."

Great dependable car.

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "NONE"

Cons: "NO cup holders"

"I have driven my Explorer over 220,000 miles without a single problem. It is the best vehicle I have EVER owned."

340,000 miles, 17 years old. Best car ever owned

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

"We bought it in 98, it had 17,000 miles on it. It is still good looking, and is just the best, most trouble free car we've ever owned. Our trusted mechanic, last 25 years, friend and fellow parishoner, has advised us to sell it,right now, while we still can: apparently it's not supposed to live this long...go figure."

BEST SUV I EVER OWNED

By on Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pros: "Great"

"Purchased new, Eddie Bauer, great 5.0 V-8 engine, mostly hyw miles, average 19 mpg, regular gas, still looks good and everything works. It does need shocks but hold off, driving this baby till she stops, hope to make 300000. Only wish I could buy this exact Explorer new again today."

Great little truck

By on Monday, July 18, 2011

"If you are looking for a reliable smaller truck that can take you through everything this is it. I have had the truck for 10 years and it has never let me down. Comfortable to drive and I have barely put a dime into it besides regular maintenance. Highly recommend the truck I would definitely buy a newer one when and if this one goes!"

Explorer 1, Hummer 0

By on Saturday, December 29, 2007

"Hit a H-3 Hummmer in the side at 55 mph with my 2 kids in the back seat. Walked away without a scratch (thank God). The H-3 was destroyed and my 99 Eddie Bauer is not totaled but its in pretty rough shape, and it saved our lives. I would highly recommend this vehicle."

Very reliable with minimal problems

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

"After 334,000 miles there are 5 issues 1. Check Engine Light - Transmission codes but the car still drives very well 2. Heater blend door - Stuck on high heat unless Max a/c is used and then blows nice and cold 3. Drivers power door lock doesn't work correctly 4. ABS light on - the right front ABS sensor wire fell off the mount and rubbed on the CV boot causing a failure on that sensor 5. Left turn signal switch doesn't work properly. you have to hold it in place. After 334,000 miles how can we complain. I am trying to sell it now after my wife bought a new car last week but this thing has never left her stranded. We have changed several parts over the years but with some know-how and good tools there was nothing I couldn't take care of at home in the driveway. Intake gaskets were the biggest job we did a couple of years ago. If you can find one of these with low miles and need an SUV I highly recommend it. Probably one of the best years for Ford Explorers."

Was amazing in snow!

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Reason: Family out grew it.

Pros: "Price (used), did exceptional in snow"

Cons: "Rear facing car seats lack space with tall drivers"

"My wife bought one the summer before we met. Within weeks it's transfer case gave up the ghost. However, this was not a vehicle flaw primarily because of it's previous owner. After pulling the old transfer case and inspecting the drive line it was very evident that it's owner before us was cheap. After fixing this issue ourselves in the drive way over a warm weekend, it was clear how nice these vehicles are. Especially in the snow. The gas is not the greatest, and feels over whelmed in the mountains. However, it does its admirably with out much fuss. I would love to purchase another Explorer of this generation; the only reason we sold ours was because car seats would not fit well with a tall driver. Perhaps my next will be one generation newer with a V8 for these mountain passes."

Good vehicle, but...

By on Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Pros: "It can get up and go"

Cons: "High roll over, Hydroplaned 3 times thus far"

Ignore the Sonic cup

"It's nice and reliable, but... I'm 6'3", my seat is all the way back and I feel to cramped behind the wheel, other than that it's good if kept maintained. Parts I've had to replace: Throttle Positioning Sensor Cruise Control Switches Idle Control Valve Other than those few thing, everything is great. Nice A/C, clean interior, Nice engine for its size, pretty good towing capability."

Ignore the Sonic cup

Favorite Vehicle Of All Times

By on Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pros: "Fantastic price, joy to drive, dependability, comf"

Cons: "Can't think of any."

"This has been the most dependable, reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It ha ample space for hauling. Has a sporty great design. Very economical, low maintenance. Superb power and functionality. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone needing a extremely dependable and economical ride. It has 214000 miles and still running strong, have had very little work needed and it has never once failed to start or disappoint me. I will buy another Explorer when this one finally wears out."

Best SUV Ever!!!

By on Monday, April 30, 2012

"I must say I have gotten my $'s worth out of this SUV. I have done "some exploring" to say the least. It finally died on me @ appx 348,000 miles and was still fast LOL I have truly enjoyed my Explorer!!!"

Dependable

By on Monday, March 08, 2010

"I've owned my 98' Explorer since 2005. It had only 80K miles when I got it. Aside from the usual items (brakes, tires), I had to replace the fuel pump at 162K miles. The idler pulley went out at 158K. The only real complaint I have is: 1. The dash lights have a tendency to go dim ocassionally, which is corrected by dialing the dimmer switch. 2. The rear wiper loaction is a factory mistake. The motor is rubber mounted, causing the wiper to lift off the window at the halfway point, taking way the pressure needed to keep the blade on the entire window as it wipes. This can be easily fixed by moving the wiper arm up so that the blade lays on the lower corner of the glass. Then use a needle nose pliers to bed the actual arms on the blade itself, so that it fits tighter on the glass. It now wipes 98% of the rear window. Other than that, it runs and drives great. The seats aren't the softest, but they are pretty comfortable. I'd buy another if I ever sell this one."

1995 Limited

By on Friday, October 17, 2008

"We purchased this vehicle used in 2001 and have since put 100k miles on it. She now has 183,000 and going strong. Had to get the transmission replaced at 134k and of course the alternator, idler pulley, etc, but besides that normal care. We switched all the fluids over to synthetic and get 16 mph city and 22 hwy with 17.5 mixed. I love this vehicle, and will drive it into the ground, we just picked up a 2002 for the wife and she loves that one. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

Good vehicle, but has problems

By on Thursday, November 01, 2007

"We've had it for 8 years now and it has done fairly well. Just the fuel economy really hurts this car. It has decent power but not enough to justify the horrible fuel economy. But other than that it is a tough and reliable suv."

Hated to see it go!

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"We have had this SUV for 11yrs and it has been the best vehicle! Hate to see it go. It has remained our "extra" vehicle for when our new ones had dead batteries.... and flat tires. Like the energizer bunny, just kept on going! Now it will go to our daughter............"

my truck was very good to me

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"i had my 96 explorer for 14 months. some not-so-nice bag man hit me and ultimately totaled my baby (my truck). now despite all the bad things i heard about ford, i am super happy i opted to buy this truck. i bought it from a previous owner who was second to own it, then i was the third. i was told he husband took very good care of it. i had minimal problems with my explorer. the check engine light came on once, which costed me $240 to fix- part and labor. my truck did so much more than bring me from point A to B- i'd definitely reccomend an explorer to anyone! i had a very good experience. brake pads are price-y and a tune up was estimated at $250-$400 (my being a female probably played a role in that one). attempting to flush the anti-freeze was difficult because everything is close together under the hood- but i'm sure it would have been do-able. back passenger doors were sometimes too difficult for small children to open, unlocking the doors when they needed to be opened was usually necessary (even though the door can be opened without having to unlock with power locks). overall, my truck was good to me despite what i'd heard. with regular oil changes, frequent fluid checks, and simple monitoring of noises and drive patterns- my explorer did what i needed and more. she purred like a kitten. lol. may her engine rest in peace."

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"What a great car. 140,000 miles later, and I lost my AC. Thats not bad for hard winters and salty air. I would recommend this vehicle for anyone that lives in the snow and enjoys the outdoors."

Love this SUV

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"We have had our Explorer for 8 years. We love it. Will definitly by another Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer. It has been virtually problem free and still runs great with 176000 miles on it."

Great Value

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I have owned my 1997 explorer for over 5 years and it has not let me down. It has over 175,000 miles and is driven on a daily basis. I would recommend an explorer any day of the week if you are looking for a dependable comfortable ride."

Love My Explorer

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"I have had my Ford Explorer for 10 years. I love it!! She has over 190000 miles under her wheels and still runs great with very little mechanical problems (had an alternator belt tensioner come off). Could not ask for a more dependable vehicle."

Hasn't failed me yet!

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Great 4x4, timeless design, comfortable cabin"

Cons: "horrible gas mileage, underpowered"

The day I got it! Clean & lookin' sharp.

"So this was my first truck, and I bought it used with just over 150k miles about a year ago. It's a 1997 Explorer Sport, and this thing has just blown me away. I've put almost 40k miles on it in the last year, and I haven't had a single problem other than an $8 heater control valve. Every morning it starts without hesitation, even with the unusual winter we've had in NC. Which brings me to one of my biggest points; the 4x4 on this truck is incredible. My Explorer is equipped with the optional limited slip differential, combined with the ControlTrak 4x4 system, I had no issues in the snow and ice. I have to drive in moderate off road/muddy conditions every day, and I have never had a problem, even running with cheap Dextero street tires. I drive it hard, take 7-8 hour long trips frequently, off road daily, and haul friends and family everywhere. It's comfortable, it runs smooth, it's got plenty of towing torque, and it's safe. I do have a few complaints though. One, the base 4.0 OHV V6 is severely under-powered and requires a lead foot pulling out on to highways. The gas mileage is absolute garbage. It feels hesitant in tight corners, and the transmission is starting to shift hard. Considering what I put the truck through, I'm not surprised. To make up for those complaints though, I installed an aftermarket air intake, it gave a bit more power and improved the mileage by 2-3mpg. A $200 investment that's already paid for itself. All in all, this truck has never failed me, and is, for lack of better words, Built Ford Tough."

The day I got it! Clean & lookin' sharp.

bough my 2000 with 127000

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "All the extra toys and safty"

Cons: "Gas milage But worth it"

"I love this truck, Great when I go anywhere even fishing. Take off road no problem, I laugh at our snow fall now chews up the snow and spits it out, drove through 29 inch snow storm with ease. I feel very safe in this truck"

Tried to Drive the Wheels Off but Couldn't

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "Fantastic return on investment."

Cons: "Too tall for short wife; thirsty."

"I always keep my cars until they are fully spent by virtue of major mechanical failure or just so many nickel and dime repairs it's no longer worth keeping. This Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer has defied my attempts to send it to the salvage yard. Presently it has 244,000 miles and counting on the original engine and transmission. All I can say is...WOW! I bought this 1997 model year (built in Aug. 1996) in 1999 as b-day gift for myself. It's turned into the gift that keeps on giving...and giving...and giving. Really! It had 56,000 miles when I bought it. I've added nearly 190,000 miles. Sure I've replaced the wearable components: tires and breaks (3x), radiator w/hoses (3x), transmission service - filter and fluid change only (1x), oil changes every 5K miles need it or not (38x). This is all pretty basic for this many miles driven. I am looking to sell the old girl now as my wife wants a 4-door lower to the ground so it's easier to get the baby in and out of the vehicle. If I could, I'd keep this SUV and make it my daughters first car...only by then gasoline powered cars will be museum pieces, not daily drivers...(sigh)."