1997 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1136 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

Very reliable vehicle, has never left me stranded.

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

"purchased as a used vehicle. Comfortable to drive long distances. Has never broke down."

Great, sturdy car, but old

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "Great loud engine that rumbles, lots of space"

Cons: "Creaks a lot, doors often won't open from inside"

"I own a 1997 Ford Explorer. While it is pretty old for a car, it hasn't failed me yet…well, not completely. I like my car, don’t get me wrong, but there are a lot of reasons why it’s hard to like. I always just took the car itself for granted, and never gave myself the chance to actually look at it from a distance and observe its pros and cons. Old cars are going to eventually start breaking and stop working. Anyone knows that, but they should only fall apart to a certain extent within a range of years. However, I've noticed other owners of this particular model are experiencing the same problems I’m dealing with. For example, it’s getting harder and harder to start the engine in the Explorer. It’ll turn over a few times before actually getting started, and I know that’s very hard on any car in general. On top of that, my passenger window makes this terribly loud clicking noise when you put it up or down the whole way, often scaring anyone that happens to be riding along with me. Don’t even get me started on one of my passenger doors. I can press the unlock button all I want and it still won’t open from the inside, meaning if someone is riding in the back on that side they’re stuck until either I get out and open the door or they climb over the seats and get out themselves…not very convenient. Although, it made me feel a lot better knowing I was not the only one experiencing these issues with the car. However, despite all these faults in the car, it’s completely worth it for the feeling I get when I climb into my large, green monster. Sure, a lot of things are starting to break, but it wasn't always that way. The Explorer is a very sturdy car, making it one of the safest to drive since it’s more likely to hurt the car it hits than get damaged itself. It’s also a larger vehicle, which makes it very nice when it comes to carrying things and people. I’m going to be honest: I used to hate this car with a passion, not because there was anything wrong with it, but because I hadn't grown into it yet. I thought it was too loud and rumbled too much. I thought it was too tight and snug. I thought it smelled too much like gasoline and grease. Now, I feel very powerful when I turn my car on and it makes a deep, racing hum. I appreciate the snugness of the car because I’m short and things are easier to reach. That very slight gasoline smell that I've become so familiar with has given the car its own personality as the only reason it’s noticeable is simply because it had such a powerful engine installed a while back. Overall it’s a great car and its pros and cons balance out and that’s why I refused to replace it before I graduated from school. The Explorer had come this far and I wanted it to finish the race with me diploma and all."

always there

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pros: "reliable, good off road"

Cons: "old, normal wear and tear"

"i have counted on this car to get me too and from school as well as when i would go on search and rescue missions for years. i have buried it to the axle in mud and put it in low range and it walked out by itself with no problem. the only problems i have with it are normal wear and tear of an old car. i love offroading and i take it every chance i get and it has even impressed some heavy offroading guys. i have kept it stock and i have never had a problem. it performs extremely well in all conditions and situations. as long as you know how to drive it. if it breaks it is your fault."

love it...

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pros: "nice looking and rides great"

"I love my Explorer but do to change in finance need to get something a little smaller. Doesn't like the first start little rough but runs great when warmed up. No rust no tears"

Excellent for long trips.

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pros: "good handling, love all the extras"

Cons: "expensive"

"Roomy, comfortable interior with good sound system. good all-around visibility & handling. Could have better gas mileage & parking in sometimes tight."