1997 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1152 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

we have owned top explores.

By on Monday, December 31, 2007

"We have owned two exporers and I would recommend them highly. The first was a 1997 which was a great vehicle. We drove it for 185,000 miles and sold it to the mechanic who serviced it. We now own a 2000 explorer which has 100,000 miles and we just purchased new tires because we plan on it going many more miles. This is a true work horse and I would buy another. Just maintain it and it will go on and on. I am convinced that this is a good vehicle based on our experience."

Hard working, reliable, low maintenance

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, easy to drive and park, turns on a dime"

Cons: "Sporty ride, back seat uncomfortable"

"I bought this Explorer with 30,000 miles and was fortunate enough to get five free tires because the stock ones were recalled. A great start saving me $500 at the time! Since then, as my daily driver, I have driven all along the East coast, towed trailers, pulled stumps, installed a snowplow and plowed some really heavy wet snow for my family and business. This is one great, versatile SUV even though I never "babied" it. The good: Runs great, very manuverable, turns sharp, great visibility, all wheel drive is great in rain, snow and dirt, controls are right where they should be, very reliable, lots of cargo space and headroom, paint and upholstry are still excellent, great brakes, quiet smooth motor and drivetrain, 4.0 SOHC motor has plenty of power for this size vehicle. The bad: Firm ride, back seat uncomfortable, rear windshild wiper is useless. Expenses: I replaced the thermostat, shocks, brakes, muffler/tailpipe, one fog light socket and a set of sway bar bushings. Thhis has been a very economical vehicle to own."

Dependable, Safe, Reliable

By on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Pros: "Functional, reliable, safe, easy to drive"

Cons: "MPG"

"VALUE: I've owned a 1999 Explorer for more than 7yrs and in that time I have driven it quite literally from one coast to the other. It has been reliable and easy to keep up with routine maintenance and normal care. I haven't had to baby it along by any means and it just keeps taking whatever I throw at it without fail. I love this car. RELIABILITY: Save for one or two issues (original parts that failed after 100,000+ miles) it has not had an issue. I've driven it in everything from deep, freezing and snow covered midwest winters to east coast hurricanes and scorching desert temperatures and it just keeps on rolling. Routine maintenance goes a long way. QUALITY: It is a Ford, afterall but for the price it is great. I enjoy the utility and not worrying about getting it dirty or a little dinged from time to time. The interior is comfortable and functional, with a reasonable amount of room when the seats fold down to haul quite a bit. If you need to carry people, the back seat in the Sport model isn't built for long road trips but it will do for getting from A to B now and then. I'm 6'4'' and the front seats offer plenty of leg room and even with a sunroof I don't have to worry about head room. Thankfully, I've not had to test the safety features of the vehicle, nor do I plan to. DRIVING DYNAMICS: Easy to maneuver, rides like you would expect a truck/SUV of the late 90's to ride. I've personally driven nearly 100,000 miles and have no complaints. It'll get up to freeway speeds just fine, but don't expect a thrill ride if you need to pass someone once your at speed. In snowy conditions, or off road it does just fine within reason. A few blizzards couldn't get it stuck and off-road wise the 4WD does fine within reason. DESIGN: Functional, not bad to look at. The exterior is more or less a "what you see is what you get" kind of deal. Roof racks give additional utility, running boards make them accessible for the vertically challenged. The tail gate opens tall to make loading the rear area easier, and the rear window opens separately if you need the function for any reason. The interior is nothing too fancy, but comfortable and functional. Logical controls and easy to read buttons and displays. The rear seats fold flat to provide a surprising amount of space in the cargo hold if you need it. COMFORT & CONVENIENCE: As I stated above, I've personally driven nearly 100,000 miles in my car with nary an issue. On longer road trips the lumbar support could be a little better but for a 13yr old vehicle I have no complaints. I'd set out on another road trip in it without question. The Sport model handles well and is easy to park in tighter spots, it can haul a fair amount of stuff or a few people in decent comfort. Mileage won't be stellar, it's an SUV so I don't know why you would expect anything different. OVERALL: I would certainly recommend this to others, the value is great. You'll get a functional, reliable, safe vehicle for a decent price. Routine maintenance goes quite a ways in keeping it going."

Very driveable, 4WD, reliable, excellent milage,

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "has been excellent choics"

Cons: "no cons"

"Used by daughter during hi school and school breaks. Made us as parents that it gave more safety. Also, used for business in the high Sierras in all seasons. Handles well on winter roads. Very reliable. Never starting problems."

Great dependable car.

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "NONE"

Cons: "NO cup holders"

"I have driven my Explorer over 220,000 miles without a single problem. It is the best vehicle I have EVER owned."