1997 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1165 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

we have owned top explores.

By on Monday, December 31, 2007

"We have owned two exporers and I would recommend them highly. The first was a 1997 which was a great vehicle. We drove it for 185,000 miles and sold it to the mechanic who serviced it. We now own a 2000 explorer which has 100,000 miles and we just purchased new tires because we plan on it going many more miles. This is a true work horse and I would buy another. Just maintain it and it will go on and on. I am convinced that this is a good vehicle based on our experience."

Very reliable with minimal problems

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

"After 334,000 miles there are 5 issues 1. Check Engine Light - Transmission codes but the car still drives very well 2. Heater blend door - Stuck on high heat unless Max a/c is used and then blows nice and cold 3. Drivers power door lock doesn't work correctly 4. ABS light on - the right front ABS sensor wire fell off the mount and rubbed on the CV boot causing a failure on that sensor 5. Left turn signal switch doesn't work properly. you have to hold it in place. After 334,000 miles how can we complain. I am trying to sell it now after my wife bought a new car last week but this thing has never left her stranded. We have changed several parts over the years but with some know-how and good tools there was nothing I couldn't take care of at home in the driveway. Intake gaskets were the biggest job we did a couple of years ago. If you can find one of these with low miles and need an SUV I highly recommend it. Probably one of the best years for Ford Explorers."

Best SUV Ever!!!

By on Monday, April 30, 2012

"I must say I have gotten my $'s worth out of this SUV. I have done "some exploring" to say the least. It finally died on me @ appx 348,000 miles and was still fast LOL I have truly enjoyed my Explorer!!!"

Favorite Vehicle Of All Times

By on Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pros: "Fantastic price, joy to drive, dependability, comf"

Cons: "Can't think of any."

"This has been the most dependable, reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It ha ample space for hauling. Has a sporty great design. Very economical, low maintenance. Superb power and functionality. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone needing a extremely dependable and economical ride. It has 214000 miles and still running strong, have had very little work needed and it has never once failed to start or disappoint me. I will buy another Explorer when this one finally wears out."

Dependable

By on Monday, March 08, 2010

"I've owned my 98' Explorer since 2005. It had only 80K miles when I got it. Aside from the usual items (brakes, tires), I had to replace the fuel pump at 162K miles. The idler pulley went out at 158K. The only real complaint I have is: 1. The dash lights have a tendency to go dim ocassionally, which is corrected by dialing the dimmer switch. 2. The rear wiper loaction is a factory mistake. The motor is rubber mounted, causing the wiper to lift off the window at the halfway point, taking way the pressure needed to keep the blade on the entire window as it wipes. This can be easily fixed by moving the wiper arm up so that the blade lays on the lower corner of the glass. Then use a needle nose pliers to bed the actual arms on the blade itself, so that it fits tighter on the glass. It now wipes 98% of the rear window. Other than that, it runs and drives great. The seats aren't the softest, but they are pretty comfortable. I'd buy another if I ever sell this one."