1996 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1152 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

Favorite Vehicle Of All Times

By on Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pros: "Fantastic price, joy to drive, dependability, comf"

Cons: "Can't think of any."

"This has been the most dependable, reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It ha ample space for hauling. Has a sporty great design. Very economical, low maintenance. Superb power and functionality. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone needing a extremely dependable and economical ride. It has 214000 miles and still running strong, have had very little work needed and it has never once failed to start or disappoint me. I will buy another Explorer when this one finally wears out."

Best SUV Ever!!!

By on Monday, April 30, 2012

"I must say I have gotten my $'s worth out of this SUV. I have done "some exploring" to say the least. It finally died on me @ appx 348,000 miles and was still fast LOL I have truly enjoyed my Explorer!!!"

Dependable

By on Monday, March 08, 2010

"I've owned my 98' Explorer since 2005. It had only 80K miles when I got it. Aside from the usual items (brakes, tires), I had to replace the fuel pump at 162K miles. The idler pulley went out at 158K. The only real complaint I have is: 1. The dash lights have a tendency to go dim ocassionally, which is corrected by dialing the dimmer switch. 2. The rear wiper loaction is a factory mistake. The motor is rubber mounted, causing the wiper to lift off the window at the halfway point, taking way the pressure needed to keep the blade on the entire window as it wipes. This can be easily fixed by moving the wiper arm up so that the blade lays on the lower corner of the glass. Then use a needle nose pliers to bed the actual arms on the blade itself, so that it fits tighter on the glass. It now wipes 98% of the rear window. Other than that, it runs and drives great. The seats aren't the softest, but they are pretty comfortable. I'd buy another if I ever sell this one."

1995 Limited

By on Friday, October 17, 2008

"We purchased this vehicle used in 2001 and have since put 100k miles on it. She now has 183,000 and going strong. Had to get the transmission replaced at 134k and of course the alternator, idler pulley, etc, but besides that normal care. We switched all the fluids over to synthetic and get 16 mph city and 22 hwy with 17.5 mixed. I love this vehicle, and will drive it into the ground, we just picked up a 2002 for the wife and she loves that one. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

Explorer 1, Hummer 0

By on Saturday, December 29, 2007

"Hit a H-3 Hummmer in the side at 55 mph with my 2 kids in the back seat. Walked away without a scratch (thank God). The H-3 was destroyed and my 99 Eddie Bauer is not totaled but its in pretty rough shape, and it saved our lives. I would highly recommend this vehicle."