1994 Ford Explorer

7.5

Based on 257 Ratings for the 1992 - 1994 models.

It Won't Give Up!

By on Thursday, September 11, 2008

"I have a '92 Explorer XLT with a 5 speed stick. I bought it used in Sept. '97 with 70,000 miles on it. Now, 11 years later, it has 197,000 miles and it just keeps going! I've done the recommended maintenance over the years: oil changes, coolant, serpentine belt, ect. I have also had to replace the power steering pump, starter, transfer case solenoid, wiper relay, center armrest support bracket. Overall, I have done nickle and dime maintanence and haven't done anything major. It's not a great offroad vehicle, but with good rubber it does fine in ice & snow. I get 20 mpg with my daily driving, and about 21 mpg out on the road.....it's geared too low to do better on the highway. The paint is fading in the last couple years, but what can you expect? It runs great and always gets me where I'm going. I will keep driving this one until the wheels fall off!"

suprizing value

By on Sunday, October 26, 2008

"Bought it used, cheap, showing 77K milage, has to be 177K. Didn't expect much. Needed a work vehicle. Gas gage didn't work. Typically, door handles broken, padded thing on console broken, etc. so it showed quite a bit of wear and tear. In the past 5 months, I've put 20K miles on it, without ever touching a thing. It doesn't use oil, it starts first time, every time. If it runs low on fuel, the fuel pump gets hot and cranky, but if you keep a decent amount of gas in it, it's fine. With no gas gage, I just allowed for 15 mpg in town driving and always set the trip meter so as not to run out. AFter a few weeks, I couldn't put gas in it, it was already full. So, around town driving, I've now figured out, it gets closer to 19 or 20. Better than the advertised milage on the new Ford Escape. Rides rough. If you've worked all day, and your back hurts, this is not going to be a comfortable ride home. Other than that, it's an excellent value."

reliable and easy to work on

By on Sunday, March 3, 2013

Pros: "lots of room, parts r easy to come by"

Cons: "gas miliage isnt the greatest"

"I received a '94 explorer from my grandfather. He bought it from a used dealership and was the second owner which makes me the third owner. only problems we both had were the rims that came stock. one to two rims would always lose a bunch of air over night due to temp change. put good steel rims on and had no problem. rust can be a factor but for me a well running truck doesnt have to stay looking pretty its while life. parts are easy to find and are cheap. I'll own one of these till the day i die if at all possible."

Takes a Licking, keeps Ticking

By on Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"I have one of the original models (12/90); for two years drove it around central Calif coast for 18,000 miles, then Seoul South Korea for another 90,000 miles. Korea is a tough place for vehicles, but this XL model shugged off everything, monsoon rains, freezing weather, snow and HEAT, lots of HEAT, average speed in Seoul is 25 MPH, so I was amazed on how well my Explorer acted. Had some rust and repaired rocker panels, Korea used salt and a lot of it, got it resprayed, and surfaces redone, now back in Florida, 130,000 miles and getting same 17 MPG since day-one and now it has been 19 years, still has same get-up-and-go! A real work horse, currently looking at adding another Explorer (93 Eddie Bauer) to my driveway."

very solid and reliable

By on Monday, October 19, 2009

"My explorer is solid and reliable, with over 200,000 miles. Easy to repair and maintain with used parts easy to obtain. Get transmission service on a regular basis. The transmission is the weakness in this vehicle"