1994 Ford Explorer

7.5

Based on 255 Ratings for the 1991 - 1994 models.

Truck is a total beast

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

"When I first got this truck I thought it was just ok... 300000 miles later I am still driving it and take care of it a little bit from time to time and it just keeps chuggin along! I'm thinking about buying a new car for my wife and we're definitely buying a Ford Truck no matter what. This truck really is built tough - thanks Ford!"

Great Value for the Money

By on Saturday, September 22, 2007

"I bought my 1992 Sport 2WD new. Has almost 160,000 miles of mostly HARD city driving (potholes, bumps, high speed, etc) in Washington, DC. The car is practically bulletproof! Major repair was the transmission (automatic) at about 120,000 miles. Had to constantly change brake rotors when I used off-brand "lifetime" pads, but I found that using the Ford-supplied pads made that issue disappear. I have all the power options, and they all still work fine. Compare that to my 2001 Mercedes SUV that cost 3 times more and is constantly in the shop for stupid things. The way I drive (think Starsky and Hutch) and the place I drive (DC) shows that this truck is really "Ford Tough"."

love it

By on Sunday, May 10, 2009

"I love you my explorer. i bought it because it needed head gaskets but then on out its been great! The thing is awesome in the snow and gets pretty good gas mileage. The 6 way power seat and lumbar support are the greatest. Never have a sore back going on a road trip in it!"

Trusting Vehicle

By on Monday, April 20, 2009

"I've owned my explorer for 10 years now. I've rolled the odometer twice and currently at 230,000 miles. I bought the car in 1999 with 76,000 on it. I've had minor problems. I've converted the AC from R12 to R134a with all new system parts. A new transmission after 170,000. A simple transfer case motor replacement for the 4WD. This truck has been fun for what i do. The only DOWNSIDE to the explorer is that you cannot rent a Uhaul or Ryder trailer to be pulled behind the Explorer. Idiot drivers made this possible for us. Other then this, my explorer has been the most dependable vehicle through out my travels. I still get 300+ miles per tank city/Highway. I do my own mechanic work if needed, and it's mostly been wear and tear items. This is a good truck."

My explorer

By on Monday, January 05, 2009

"I don't know why kbb thinks this vehicle is worth so little.Its the best truck I have ever had and has never given me problems.I guess its how fords are made in general.Its one of those 1 in 10 models.You know,the one that will make it to 350,000 miles.Not the one commonly described as "exploder".If your looking at one,just read up on explorers of this year and know the problems they have.Trust me,the pro's out weight the cons."

suprizing value

By on Sunday, October 26, 2008

"Bought it used, cheap, showing 77K milage, has to be 177K. Didn't expect much. Needed a work vehicle. Gas gage didn't work. Typically, door handles broken, padded thing on console broken, etc. so it showed quite a bit of wear and tear. In the past 5 months, I've put 20K miles on it, without ever touching a thing. It doesn't use oil, it starts first time, every time. If it runs low on fuel, the fuel pump gets hot and cranky, but if you keep a decent amount of gas in it, it's fine. With no gas gage, I just allowed for 15 mpg in town driving and always set the trip meter so as not to run out. AFter a few weeks, I couldn't put gas in it, it was already full. So, around town driving, I've now figured out, it gets closer to 19 or 20. Better than the advertised milage on the new Ford Escape. Rides rough. If you've worked all day, and your back hurts, this is not going to be a comfortable ride home. Other than that, it's an excellent value."

worst transmistion in 11 years stright

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"very poor transmission, Top transmission macanics stated that they were the worst transmissions in the last 11 years, I know I have to rebuild mine. and was told that it will happen again and again. alumium $ $ 2200.00 for rebuild. still paying on it . more than its value. I will be trading it in shortley. Bummer I really liked it other wise."

reliable and easy to work on

By on Sunday, March 03, 2013

Pros: "lots of room, parts r easy to come by"

Cons: "gas miliage isnt the greatest"

"I received a '94 explorer from my grandfather. He bought it from a used dealership and was the second owner which makes me the third owner. only problems we both had were the rims that came stock. one to two rims would always lose a bunch of air over night due to temp change. put good steel rims on and had no problem. rust can be a factor but for me a well running truck doesnt have to stay looking pretty its while life. parts are easy to find and are cheap. I'll own one of these till the day i die if at all possible."

Best 4x4 ever

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "good looking, tough"

"ive owned this car for awhile, normal wear in tear as far as replacing parts. i put lots of miles everyday i do traffic control, never lets me down very dependable in all weather. great clreance off roading. i would deff say its a great car to recomend to anyone."

ford explorer 4x4

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Reason: not enought pass. need more seats

"need more seats so I plan on selling so I can buy a big vanhad fun time with truck new fuel pump used new motor lot of elect. part's new new tie rod end's repacked bearring's eddie bruaer edit. 1994 ford explorer 4x4 tow pack. new tires about month ago new wipers new windshield leater int. sun roof color black with tan"

Solid

By on Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"Don't let the old school design fool you, these things are rugged, solid, dependable trucks. The 4.0 will run forever and take any abuse you throw at it. The automatic transmission and the electrical are the Achilles heels of these old trucks, but they're tough. My 94 has 173,000 on it (original engine) and I use it for a work truck. You can't kill the engines in these, and the body on frame construction is a lot more rugged than the modern unibody stuff. The AC is weak in these things, and they do love their gasoline, but if you need a solid and cheap runner that can haul a lot of stuff, these are pretty versatile and rugged trucks."

First Car for Me, First Car for My Kids

By on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"I have a '94 Eddie Bauer Edition Ford Explorer and she has been the best for me. I got her for Christmas about 4 years ago in 2006. She's became the biggest part of my life then. I lived in Hot Springs, AR at the time and was in the 10th grade. Most of my friends all had little put-put cars to get them to school and back, but not me. :) I could comfortably fit 5 people (more if they sat in the cargo area ;) ) Not to mention, everybody's parents felt that their kids were safer in my big vehicle. And when it snowed, I would use her to drive kids home when their cars wouldn't start. This thing became THE public mode of transportation of my high school career. Then, in 2009, she broke my heart, as well as my bank. The transmission went out. It had, according to the odemeter, 79,000 miles. The previous owner never drove the thing, it sat in a garage. My dad paid 3,000 for it and it cost me 2,300 to fix it, plus a 400 dollar engine tune up and another 400 for tires. Since then, however, it has been 100% reliable. No more issues. I even used her to move out from Arkansas to Arizona. Because of U-Haul's "No Explorer" Rule, I had to find a way to pack my room into my Explorer. I did, everything I owned went into the back of this truck (and I have ALOT of stuff!) Now in Arizona, I'm playing chauffeur again running my siblings and parents here and there. As long as I take care of her, which I am and will, my mechanic says she'll run forever. Long enough even, for me to pass her down to my kids for their first car. She's coming up on the big 100,000 mile mark soon, we'll see what happens. :)"

94 4 dr. XLT

By on Sunday, June 20, 2010

"This has been an amazing car for me through high school! It has around 210,000 miles on the engine. Still runs great. Only one problem, starter went out about a year ago. Got it fixed, runs great. Went two years without an oil change because the pin was stuck. Paint is great, small bit of rust under doors. This car has gone through tons with me. Gas mileage was 14-17 mpg. Looks better than the day I got it. Paid 500 for it, so worth it! Love my Explorer"

Takes a Licking, keeps Ticking

By on Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"I have one of the original models (12/90); for two years drove it around central Calif coast for 18,000 miles, then Seoul South Korea for another 90,000 miles. Korea is a tough place for vehicles, but this XL model shugged off everything, monsoon rains, freezing weather, snow and HEAT, lots of HEAT, average speed in Seoul is 25 MPH, so I was amazed on how well my Explorer acted. Had some rust and repaired rocker panels, Korea used salt and a lot of it, got it resprayed, and surfaces redone, now back in Florida, 130,000 miles and getting same 17 MPG since day-one and now it has been 19 years, still has same get-up-and-go! A real work horse, currently looking at adding another Explorer (93 Eddie Bauer) to my driveway."

keeps on going

By on Tuesday, December 08, 2009

"i have a 93 eddie bauer explorer and it wont die best of all is the truck has over... get this 375,000 miles and still runs havent replace nothing major awsome truck go ford! chevy sucks has not rust and paint it like new!"

very solid and reliable

By on Monday, October 19, 2009

"My explorer is solid and reliable, with over 200,000 miles. Easy to repair and maintain with used parts easy to obtain. Get transmission service on a regular basis. The transmission is the weakness in this vehicle"

Truly Lucky

By on Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"I've had this truck since 1995. I bought it used with about 27K miles on it. It now has 259,000, yes folks, two hundred fifty-nine THOUSAND miles on it!!! Keeping up with maintenance is important. First alternator-3 years ago, first A/C work this year. It's a stick so we've done a couple of clutches and at 217K had to replace the entire manual trans, but that was still great! The engine is the original, never overhauled, but definitely has lost some umph, it runs fine and gets me where I need to go. My 97 Explorer, that was a hunk of junk! I should get a free car from Ford for this milestone!!! I definitely got my money's worth!"

It Won't Give Up!

By on Thursday, September 11, 2008

"I have a '92 Explorer XLT with a 5 speed stick. I bought it used in Sept. '97 with 70,000 miles on it. Now, 11 years later, it has 197,000 miles and it just keeps going! I've done the recommended maintenance over the years: oil changes, coolant, serpentine belt, ect. I have also had to replace the power steering pump, starter, transfer case solenoid, wiper relay, center armrest support bracket. Overall, I have done nickle and dime maintanence and haven't done anything major. It's not a great offroad vehicle, but with good rubber it does fine in ice & snow. I get 20 mpg with my daily driving, and about 21 mpg out on the road.....it's geared too low to do better on the highway. The paint is fading in the last couple years, but what can you expect? It runs great and always gets me where I'm going. I will keep driving this one until the wheels fall off!"

Reliable, and nice lookin

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2008

"Very nice car, I love the styling and its features, but the car did have some problems, the door handles look to be cheap and could break if you pulled on them to hard I suppose, and the side seat controls have seperated from the seat itself from wear and tear, which everything in the car is made of plastic and could be broken if not taken care of. And if you buy one, dont buy one from up north! They will rust like no ones business! The body might be fine but the underneath isent! My brake line on my explorer broke because it rusted out, it came from boston. It has 120,000 miles on it, the engine was replaced at 60,000 because the cylinder head blew I was told. It will rust but it will keep you moving thats for sure! It has very good reliabilty if it wasent bought from the north! I love it, its great for off road and on road, it hauls and tows ALOT! But with the way prices are going you can get a 2000 explorer preatty cheap now a days! My explorer had made me happy and I plan to buy a newer one...mine is a 94 limited 4x4.... but dont expect being able to pass someone on a highway in these, I can put the throttle to the floor and it barely moves, needs a bigger engine or tranny! But overall nice car!"

Still running!

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"I love this truck. Bought my 93 EB with 127k in 2005 and put another 70k on it since. I don't drive particularly rough but the v6 runs strong. The previous owner took lousy care of the truck as I've replaced tie rods/ball joints, valve cover gaskets, starter, and now the tranny (lost overdrive). Also replaced myriad interiors pieces due to scribbling, holes, stupid stuff, etc). But it's really comfy, gets 24 mpg highway w/ cruise, hauls plenty, and I love the styling! And it gets around great in the snow! I just wish the interior wasn't quite so plasticy (quality rating of 3). I still recommend the Explorers!"

Great after 14 years

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"I bought this XL new in New York in 94. I've driven it to California and back and all over the Rocky Mountains. It has seen its share of off road use for hunting and fishing. I blew the automatic hubs and put manuals on it and have not had any trouble with this vehicle other than normal driving stuff. No rust but the clear coat on the paint is starting to come off. Good gas mileage (20-22) and it just keeps going. Ford Tough for sure. At 161,000 miles, it is a winner."

Decent Car

By on Sunday, May 04, 2008

"I drive a 92 explorer eddie bauer edition. I will say that the transmission is the cars weakest link. I thought it had blown and brought it to the shop, only to find that he put 4 new quarts of transmission fluid in it and it runs fine again. He said older cars like this can heat up too much if its stuck or something and blow the fluid somehow. The four wheel drive doesnt work anymore, it has auto hubs and they dont lock in correctly. It has 193,000 miles so it is doing well. It had the power steering pump replaced a year ago because it had gone bad and the brake lines rusted out, but all in all it just doesnt seem to die. It starts every morning, sometimes after a couple tries though, haha."

good SUV for the money

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"This is one of the best vehicles I ever owned. The only problem I had was with the air conditioner. It is a gas guzzler, but only needs regular gas."

good ford

By on Friday, January 18, 2008

"this thing went threw like 2foot of snow and pulled out like eight6 people and took out a mail box in one day very reliable suv i love it"

Good quality vehicle

By on Saturday, October 27, 2007

"I only give this car 4 stars in 2 catagories because of the gas prices and if anything goes wrong it can be a bit pricy to fix. Other than that, a very good vehicle for a small to medium size family. It has excellent handling and get up and go in passing situations. I got into a head on collision with mine recently and I am super glad I was driving this vehicle or I might be dead or more seriously injured."