2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews

In love with the concept, not the execution

By on Friday, August 02, 2013

Pros: "All wheel/four wheel drive system, size"

Cons: "hard seats"

"I love the concept of this vehicle. It fits the needs of me and my family perfectly and, important in Alaska, fits in the garage. The drive system includes both an all wheel drive setting so the vehicle can be driven on any road surface and traditional 4x4 with high lock and low lock settings. It's perfect of Alaska and something not easily found except on GM full size trucks and SUVs. The Tacoma and Frontier have very basic traditional 4x4 systems that are really only useful once the road is totally snow covered or icy. Most new crossovers and SUVs have all wheel drive systems that lack a locking center diff for deep snow or truly icy conditions. Like the professional reviews say for this vehicle and the Honda Ridgeline - most people don't need a full size truck and these two vehicles make more sense. It's true. The problem? I would describe this vehicle as hard. To me the ride hard, many of the control are hard (hard plastic or they require too much effort to push, pull or turn) and the front seats are so hard they cutoff circulation and put my feet to sleep when I drive. I've added cushions to solve the problem, but its a design that doesn't suit me. I bought mine sigh-unseen and had it shipped to Alaska this May, with less than 10,000 miles at the time. The looks of both the Ridgeline and the SportTrac are a bit odd, but the Ridgeline is worse in my opinion and tends to be much more expensive. I highly recommend checking out the SportTrac if your looking for a used Ridgeline or other compact pickup. The ride and seats may not bother you and you'll have an excellent and very practical little truck. Don't underestimate it's abilities either, I hauled 1000 lbs of dead sod to the dump last weekend with ease."

Great vehicle!

By on Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pros: "Very nice, comfortable, and powerful."

Cons: "Braking takes a little more effort."

"This is my second Sport Trac. I put 135K miles on my 03. It's too bad Ford quit making these, because it's likely going to cause me to go to a Nissan Frontier or whatever is available in that type of vehicle when I'm ready to trade. I love this vehicle."

Great all around vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"Love the look, room, ride and utility. At 6'3" I'm comfortable driving it and room behind me for a real adult. Wish Ford would replace 4.0 V6 with more fuel efficient technology. Excellent to take grandkids fishing and pulls boat easily. Overall would recommend...Ford, please improve fuel efficiency. 16 city and approx. 20 highway at 70-75MPH."

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted